Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K3LO9H_Yq0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

mkultra419 posted:

Just got one as a present myself. Already planning to start dialing in a process for chicken wings, any other suggestions?

Oh, also, it's a killarney alternative to a microwave for reheating stuff, imo

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hi cook goons, slightly odd drive-by question because this is driving me nuts and Google isn't helping.

I'm eating a stew we made months ago for freezing, and there's a vegetable in it I can't identify. It's white, pretty translucent after cooking, doesn't have much of a taste. The key info is I have a vivid memory of chopping/preparing it and it having lots of little ball-shaped inclusions - maybe like a cm or two across? The holes this leaves are evident in the cooked chunks.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Maugrim posted:

Hi cook goons, slightly odd drive-by question because this is driving me nuts and Google isn't helping.

I'm eating a stew we made months ago for freezing, and there's a vegetable in it I can't identify. It's white, pretty translucent after cooking, doesn't have much of a taste. The key info is I have a vivid memory of chopping/preparing it and it having lots of little ball-shaped inclusions - maybe like a cm or two across? The holes this leaves are evident in the cooked chunks.

Can you pick one out, rinse it off, and take a picture?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Aaaaaaaaaa that is the exact same waffle maker we use for brunch service at work, and the idea of cleaning that one afterwards is giving me the jibblies.

Anyways, we've done jalapeño cornbread waffles, savory sage waffles, and our best seller (which I think I posted about here once before) was chicken and waffle sliders. Made a bunch of regular waffles, but then we ground up chicken, seasoned it, and put the chicken goop in the waffle maker. Then we quartered them and made sliders out of them, because the waffle-shaped chicken fit perfectly between two regular waffles. We served them with onion-bacon jam, bourbon maple syrup, or spicy honey. Wish they'd put that back on the menu.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Forgot about cornbread. You can seriously think “I’d like to be eating cornbread” and be doing so in less than 15 minutes with the waffle iron.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Can you pick one out, rinse it off, and take a picture?

Already ate it unfortunately, but in terms of the shape of the chunks just imagine diced Swiss cheese. The inclusions themselves were also lurking about separately, of a similar size and shape to chickpeas.

E: wondering if it might have been celeriac - that rings a bell, sort of

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 27, 2018

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Maugrim posted:

Was it fennel?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maugrim posted:

Already ate it unfortunately, but in terms of the shape of the chunks just imagine diced Swiss cheese. The inclusions themselves were also lurking about separately, of a similar size and shape to chickpeas.

I was gonna suggest celeriac.

Maybe kohlrabi

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Lotus root?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We were given an Instant Pot for Christmas and I've never used a pressure cooker before and this thing has a million bells and whistles. Is there a good website or book for easy cheap recipes?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scientastic posted:

I got a waffle iron for Christmas, and naturally we had waffles for breakfast yesterday, but I was wondering what else I should do with it? I think brownie waffles would be good, and there’s a recipe in the manual for falafel waffles, which I am keen to test out, but has anyone got any really good recipes I should try?

I have just waffled bubble and squeak

It’s amazing, this is the best present ever

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
What's the easiest way to prepare a large amount of frozen dumplings for a group of people (12-15) for New Years?

I don't want to be stuck behind a steamer or frying pan all night.

Could I boil them? Could I rub some in vegetable oil and bake?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

spankmeister posted:

I was gonna suggest celeriac.

Maybe kohlrabi

Neither of those would have seeds, right? They’d just end up as cubes.

Maybe yellow squash? Sometimes it can break apart near the seeds.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scott Justice posted:

What's the easiest way to prepare a large amount of frozen dumplings for a group of people (12-15) for New Years?

I don't want to be stuck behind a steamer or frying pan all night.

Could I boil them? Could I rub some in vegetable oil and bake?

Multi-tier steamer baskets

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm trying a new wing sauce recipe for a party I'm throwing for an upcoming bowl game and I have a question. How much sauce do I need per, say, dozen of wings? Like, if I'm going to make 2 dozen wings, is 2/3 of a cup of sauce good? That's the closest thing to answer I can find Googling, but I have no idea if it's right.

More info, the executive chef of a fantastic FL restaurant over in the FL thread gave me the restaurants wing recipe, but the amounts are for 2 gallons of it, which I obviously don't need, so I was trying to do some math to cut it down and I realized I have no clue how much sauce I should even be aiming for.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm trying a new wing sauce recipe for a party I'm throwing for an upcoming bowl game and I have a question. How much sauce do I need per, say, dozen of wings? Like, if I'm going to make 2 dozen wings, is 2/3 of a cup of sauce good? That's the closest thing to answer I can find Googling, but I have no idea if it's right.

More info, the executive chef of a fantastic FL restaurant over in the FL thread gave me the restaurants wing recipe, but the amounts are for 2 gallons of it, which I obviously don't need, so I was trying to do some math to cut it down and I realized I have no clue how much sauce I should even be aiming for.

There isn’t really a pat answer as it partly depends on the wing size, how saucy you want them, etc.

If you’re just tossing them all in sauce, 2/3 cup isn’t unreasonable. But I’d personally make like 2 cups and just add it incrementally to taste, and use the excess elsewhere.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Any suggestions on getting kids to cook?

Specifically, I am thinking about one night a week the kid gets a meal budget, plans a meal, shops for the food and makes it. One week the challenge will be to save money (kid keeps half the money remaining out of food budget), one week it will be a taste based bonus, another would be effort based, then theme (Italian, etc) nights maybe. Ultimate goal being getting a kid comfortable in the kitchen and able to cook more than ramen in college.

Any ideas for this sort of thing?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Ceros_X posted:

Specifically, I am thinking about one night a week the kid gets a meal budget, plans a meal, shops for the food and makes it. One week the challenge will be to save money (kid keeps half the money remaining out of food budget), one week it will be a taste based bonus, another would be effort based, then theme (Italian, etc) nights maybe. Ultimate goal being getting a kid comfortable in the kitchen and able to cook more than ramen in college.

Get a knife in their hands as soon as you’re comfortable. Figure out what tasks they like and try to plan around that. Don’t make it too complicated though, or make it feel like there’s a regiment and a bunch of tasks to complete. It should be fun.

Depending on age, you don’t need to hit the ground running on making an entire meal plan. Littler kids should start by just being in the kitchen and pitching in on little stuff. Young teenagers are well-suited to making stuff in bulk, like burritos or a bolognese to freeze. I started cooking at a pretty young age with family members, and frankly, I just liked chopping vegetables.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Lawnie posted:

Get a knife in their hands as soon as you’re comfortable. Figure out what tasks they like and try to plan around that. Don’t make it too complicated though, or make it feel like there’s a regiment and a bunch of tasks to complete. It should be fun.

Depending on age, you don’t need to hit the ground running on making an entire meal plan. Littler kids should start by just being in the kitchen and pitching in on little stuff. Young teenagers are well-suited to making stuff in bulk, like burritos or a bolognese to freeze. I started cooking at a pretty young age with family members, and frankly, I just liked chopping vegetables.

Yeah my kid is 4 and she already helps me cook. I'm starting early with mine! I was asking for ideas for the son of a friend of mine, me and him cooked Thanksgiving together ("Cooking is easy, you just follow the recipe!") and I was looking for ideas to give to his Mom - she does minimal cooking etc. He will be going off to college in a few years so I was looking for more stuff to get hin experience.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Ceros_X posted:

Why not just get them to help/make a normal meal once a week? Here's our spaghetti/pork chops/burrito recipe, let's learn them together?
I feel like adding in budgeting and planning would overcomplicate things fast. Probably would've turned me off cooking if teen-me had to do it.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Maybe highlight techniques and concepts for a start. Slice, chop, mince. Boil, blanch, steam. Bake, braise, broil.

Ruhlman's 20 or Bittman's How to Cook Everything might be a good gift if he's a reader.

I agree that working in the budget and bonus thing might be a bit of a deep-end jump for someone who is starting near zero. Cool idea though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Ceros_X posted:

Yeah my kid is 4 and she already helps me cook. I'm starting early with mine! I was asking for ideas for the son of a friend of mine, me and him cooked Thanksgiving together ("Cooking is easy, you just follow the recipe!") and I was looking for ideas to give to his Mom - she does minimal cooking etc. He will be going off to college in a few years so I was looking for more stuff to get hin experience.

Look for cooking classes in your area, if possible. Depending on what kind of kid he is, there’s a ton, just an insane amount, of good cooking content on YouTube and food network back catalog that he could passively consume in between cooking. I loved good eats as a kid.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
That sounds way too regimented. The best way to get kids cooking is just to involve them. I guess if there's a big drive to make it into Fun then they could choose a recipe and get carte blanche on making it from scratch - whether that's a three course Italian meal or an Adventure Time megaburrito. Budgeting is an important skill but I don't feel like it's important in the context of simply inspiring an interest in cooking. As a teenager I enjoyed throwing stuff together or baking, I don't think this budgeting/shopping/getting a few quid would have appealed.

Cooking together and delegating tasks or giving freedom to experiment seem like the best ways to go about this.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Do you/they know anyone who does Blue Apron or a similar thing? If you can get a bunch of the recipe cards that might be a handy start - lots of variety, clear simple instructions, well enumerated ingredient lists. Combining a few to try to save with economies of scale can factor in there too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The more rules and bullshit you add, and the more required it is, the more likely the kid will hate cooking. One of the big reasons I like it is because I came to it myself (in college), I wasn't forced to do it.

If the kid likes spending time together, cook dinners together. If the kid has favorites, let him make the favorites, even if it's baking brownies. If he has ideas for how to improve things (like some people like mashed potatoes whipped smooth, others like it chunky or skin-on, etc.), then definitely let him run with that.

Cooking shows are good, even if it's Top Chef where he won't be on that level or Hell's Kitchen where it's more about the drama, he'll at least be exposed to new things and thinking about cooking. Get the parents ready to answer his questions or have resources to point him to when he asks "Why does everybody screw up the scallops" or whatever

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Ceros_X posted:

My 2.5 year old 'helps' me cook all the time. I agree with most recommendations in the replies. I'll add some bullet points from my personal experience:

::Give them a table knife and let them cut soft things like avocados, butter, and bananas. They will surely turn those things to mush, but that doesn't matter if you're making guacamole, melting butter, or baking banana bread. It gets them to have fun in the kitchen.

::When mixing, measure out the items, then let the kids dump and mix. I hand my 2 year old a 1 cup measuring cup with flour; he dumps it in the mixing bowl. I hand him a teaspoon with baking powder; he dumps it in. I hand him the whisk; he starts stirring.

::Let your kids use pans on the stove. Kids understand "hot" better than we think. And unless you're broiling or deep frying something, they won't be badly hurt if they touch something hot for less than a second. My son touched a hot cast iron pan one time. He didn't cry; he just pulled his hand back in time. He never again touched anything I said was "hot," and now he stirs things in the pan without accidentally touching it.

::Scrambled eggs and popcorn are the two things my son loves to make. For eggs, I put the pan on and start it. Then he puts in the butter. Then I crack in the eggs. Then he stirs. For popcorn, he does almost everything. He puts in the oil, I start the stove, and when it's hot enough he puts in the popcorn and the lid.

::Finally, be ready to call out for delivery. There will be times when clumsy kids stir too aggressively and spill cornbread batter all over the counter. Or drop eggs on the floor. Or feed a ribeye to the dog when your back is turned. Don't get upset when this happens. It's all part of children's learning experience.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Improve my biscuit gravy recipe. I don't have bacon or sausage on hand, but I have plenty of bacon fat from last week. I also have fresh Ugly Ripe tomatoes, which my grandfather used to add to his homemade gravy. How does this look?

Melt 3 tablespoons of bacon fat. Add 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour. Cook the roux just until the flour flavor disappears.
Add 3 cups of cold milk. Add salt, pepper and a touch of smoked paprika to taste. Add two diced tomatoes.
Simmer at the edge of a boil for 3-5 minutes, until the whole thing thickens. Serve over buttermilk biscuits fresh from the oven.

I've gotten pretty good at this now. I can make the biscuits in less then 30 minutes. The gravy takes me about 20 minutes. If I'm organized, I can do both at the same time and have breakfast ready half an hour after getting out of bed.
Anyway, what variations/improvements would you make (other than going out to get sausage)?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
post ur waistline if you've got things that dialed in for biscuit gravy god drat

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I add at least a dash of cayenne to any cream sauce. Also, crack a fuckton of fresh black pepper into it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
How the gently caress is that relevant? This is a thread for posting about food and cooking, not diet or exercise tips

E: that was in regards to the rude waistline post.

To add: I agree with the above poster, but I like black pepper and smoked paprika, or sometimes a few dashes of Crystal hot sauce

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The best part about gravy is that you get the meaty flavors from the bits stuck to the pan. If that's missing and you're only adding grease, then you need a meat flavor substitute imo.
Try crumbling in part of a beef stock cube. Or maybe cook up some mushrooms in the bacon grease. A splash of soy sauce will also add some umami but will definitely darken the gravy.

But really just go out and get some sausage. ;)

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Bagheera posted:

My 2.5 year old 'helps' me cook all the time. I agree with most recommendations in the replies. I'll add some bullet points from my personal experience:

::Give them a table knife and let them cut soft things like avocados, butter, and bananas. They will surely turn those things to mush, but that doesn't matter if you're making guacamole, melting butter, or baking banana bread. It gets them to have fun in the kitchen.

::When mixing, measure out the items, then let the kids dump and mix. I hand my 2 year old a 1 cup measuring cup with flour; he dumps it in the mixing bowl. I hand him a teaspoon with baking powder; he dumps it in. I hand him the whisk; he starts stirring.

::Let your kids use pans on the stove. Kids understand "hot" better than we think. And unless you're broiling or deep frying something, they won't be badly hurt if they touch something hot for less than a second. My son touched a hot cast iron pan one time. He didn't cry; he just pulled his hand back in time. He never again touched anything I said was "hot," and now he stirs things in the pan without accidentally touching it.

::Scrambled eggs and popcorn are the two things my son loves to make. For eggs, I put the pan on and start it. Then he puts in the butter. Then I crack in the eggs. Then he stirs. For popcorn, he does almost everything. He puts in the oil, I start the stove, and when it's hot enough he puts in the popcorn and the lid.

::Finally, be ready to call out for delivery. There will be times when clumsy kids stir too aggressively and spill cornbread batter all over the counter. Or drop eggs on the floor. Or feed a ribeye to the dog when your back is turned. Don't get upset when this happens. It's all part of children's learning experience.

I didn't want kids until I read this post. Or maybe I just want you as my parent.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking to purchase a new fryer. Nothing special just something that will fry for occasional appetizer nights. Previously I used a fry daddy and while it was super basic, by and large I had no issue with it (clean up us is clean up). Anyway got a bunch of Amazon/target gift cards and I keep seeing things about Air Fryers. I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on air fryers? I'm not really interested in one being healthier then the other (since it's for infrequent use), but I am interested in it, if it has significantly easier clean up and the overall taste and crispyness is similar.

Of course there is just something fun about frying with oil and putting the basket in, that I know wont be there with air frying.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I would say that the biggest thing with getting your kids to “help” is having enough self control to let them do things that you wouldn’t, without jumping in to take over. My children love to cook with me, but at six and four, sometimes do things wrong, and letting them make those mistakes is important.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I picked up some frozen wings for new years.

Now, I don't have a fryer, so I'm wondering what the best way to prepare them is. I don't really want to go buy a gallon of peanut oil and deal with bubbling grease when there are gonna be people drinking.

Could I spray them with an oil based cooking spray and bake them?

Also, sauce: lightly before cooking? Or cook dry and toss in sauce?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I always follow the Alton Brown approach to wings. Steam them, cool them, finish in a hot oven to crisp the skin.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe-1937515

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah, oven wings can come out quite well especially if you have convection. That link above this is a good one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a decent webpage, app or similar that can give me cooking times and temperatures for various foods, mostly oven based? I'm bad at memorizing those types of things and googling tends to give me eight different answers, assuming I can find the info buried halfway down the page, between three different ads and a story about the author's childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I'm doing kenjis potato gratin for new years. Is it possible to prep everything on the 30th and put it in the fridge?
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/hasselback-potato-gratin-casserole-holiday-food-lab.html