Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Smoke Break posted:

Games with "arenas" where floods of enemies come in and you have to dispatch them via circle strafing and projectile dodging. Yeah, sounds like doom 2016.

Doom was about great level design, projectile dodging, and monster closets. The only real "arena" stages that I can think of are Dead Simple and The Courtyard.. and they're both in doom 2.

Yes, Doom 2016 does have open areas with some light keycard management, and linear hallways with the occasional monster closet.. but it's closer to Serious Sam than Doom ever was. And even further from what doom 3 was.

I think that Serious Sam is more about running around in huge open spaces than arenas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Civ on switch, good!?!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

food court bailiff posted:

:psyduck:

Where do you learn about this poo poo? I know you're an indie dev but I'm here literally just trying to learn blender and Unity for a project I'm poking with and it would be really nice to know things like "oh yeah your engine has a bunch of illicit reporting hooks". gently caress it, maybe I'll try UE4.

Once in a while devs will notice something amiss in their build options when they're editing them. Just before this blew up, some guy spotted it and took a screenshot to ask "hey why is Always Send Usage Statistics To Unity always on and greyed out?" Unity replied, "You can disable it, if you subscribe to our Unity Pro progrm!" And then everyone started asking, "Well, if I can't afford Unity Pro, what about GDPR regulations?"

And then it came out that no, it's not GDPR compliant.

What did Unity do about it? afaik they just hid it better this time

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
i don't like uncharted or the last of us

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sounds like you have bad taste.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Over There posted:

i don't like the last of us

As soon as I realized “Joel, can you give me a hand with this” was code for “we’re loading a setpiece,” my appreciation for that game plummeted.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I like Uncharted more than The Last of Us

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lambert posted:

Sounds like you have bad taste.

Sounds like you're butthurt about an Unpopular Videogame Opinion in the Unpopular Videogame Opinion thread

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CrRoMa posted:

I like Uncharted more than The Last of Us

uncharted is a game with a fun character that seems to enjoy running around blasting things and discovering ancient hidden magic

the last of us is a game where you're the world's worst babysitter who does not really seem to enjoy anything ever

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

As soon as I realized “Joel, can you give me a hand with this” was code for “we’re loading a setpiece,” my appreciation for that game plummeted.

Not as much as you think. The shared problem solving is doing other things, too, which enhanced my appreciation immensely.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I haven't played Uncharted or The Last Of Us because I don't have any consoles

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The worst thing in Fallout 4 is the teeth.

Why would you model such awful teeth on people? People who are mean't to be your allies.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Icochet posted:

The worst thing in Fallout 4 is the teeth.

Why would you model such awful teeth on people? People who are mean't to be your allies.

everyone is subsisting on pre-war junkfood and soda with no dentists

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

everyone is subsisting on pre-war junkfood and soda with no dentists

20% of containers contain toothpaste. They know their dental poo poo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if fallout 4 were realistic, everyone would side with the institute because they'd be the only ones a prewar person could have a conversation with without vomiting at the sight and smell of their teeth

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

despite a ton of flaws, fallout 3 was, overall, kinda fun

The White Dragon posted:

What did Unity do about it? afaik they just hid it better this time

again, :psyduck:. i'm still probably going to end up using it, but yeesh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poverty goat posted:

unpopular opinion: story driven linear corridors can be fine. See the Metro franchise so far (I know they're going open world for the next one). Any middling open world game with a decent narrative could probably have been a better, tighter game if they'd narrowed the scope and spent less time on "you can walk to that mountain!"

The Metro series is cool imo because it strikes a really nice balance between pushing the game forward and still letting you explore and play at your own pace. Yeah, it's linear, but it feel like a real game as opposed to a shooting gallery and there's a lot of interesting side areas and things to find. There aren't really a lot of current games structured like Metro and I wish there were more.

Also, the new one isn't open world but they have touted that the levels are massive and open in it. But it's still a linear progression afaik.

despite a ton of flaws, fallout 3 was, overall, kinda fun

Bethesda games are a mess but they are rarely not fun. I even thought FO4 was a lot of fun even though everyone shits on it. I really didn't care that the story sucked, the world was a lot of fun to explore and that's why I play those games.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 29, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

again, :psyduck:. i'm still probably going to end up using it, but yeesh

Well, as long as you buy a pro sub when you're ready to do your commercial build, you can disable all the poo poo. Though I'm of the mind that it should never have been there in the first place.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's something I never understood (or bothered to research) about Unity. Can you just buy one month license right before finishing the project to push some buttons that enable the main features like a custom title screen or water reflections / whatever the current version has, or do you need to use the full license for the whole duration of a project? I know that there are some core features like automatic nav-mesh generation in the pro version that can't be easily transplanted in a short time frame, but there are open source or one-time-purchase alternatives to those, generally.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You can buy it whenever and still be golden, but I think the minimum subscription term is for a one-year contract. So all their "ONLY $99.99 per month!" bullshit is exactly that, because you'll be paying that multiplied by a factor of twelve anyway.

Honestly I would've stuck with XNA if Microsoft hadn't binned it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

last of us combat is so good, its the best stealth action third person shooter around, the combat is balanced so well for semi automatic weapons and the restricted FOV makes it really fun to sneak up on people and get snuck up on. People who say its basic probably just played on easy or normal with wall-vision and didn't really let the game push back at them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm like two hours into Last of Us and I still don't feel like I'm playing a game, just a nextgen QTE experience. Like, it's fine. Obviously top shelf art direction and design. Boring as gently caress though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

turn the difficulty up to to Hard, and turn listen mode off. You will actually notice how clever and aggressive the enemies and it makes the fights really properly intense as you aim that headshot at a dude and sprint off quickly to reposition

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

last of us combat is so good, its the best stealth action third person shooter around, the combat is balanced so well for semi automatic weapons and the restricted FOV makes it really fun to sneak up on people and get snuck up on. People who say its basic probably just played on easy or normal with wall-vision and didn't really let the game push back at them.

As someone who absolutely loved the story and gameplay in TLoU single player I'm gonna go ahead and be the guy who says that TLoU: Factions multiplayer is even better than the single player and is, in fact, one of the best (if not THE best) online multiplayer games ever made. It'd kinda my sacred cow for competitive multiplayer, and I'm a bit skeptical that Naughty Dog will be able to capture lightning in a bottle in the same way for TLoU pt. II

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'm like two hours into Last of Us and I still don't feel like I'm playing a game, just a nextgen QTE experience. Like, it's fine. Obviously top shelf art direction and design. Boring as gently caress though.

Turn up the difficulty.

Or play some Factions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Indeed. After playing through the game multiple times on every difficulty and putting hundreds of hours into the multiplayer I think it has some of the best combat in any game ever. Whenever someone dogs on it, it's usually pretty obvious that they have no idea what they are talking about and didn't bother to experiment or challenge themselves at all. It also has ridiculously intuitive controls (aside from over-tasking the poo poo out of the triangle button)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Last of us was bad and boring. Every attempt is made to make it immersive which is immediately broken when you suddenly have Batman's see-through-walls radar vision and enemies completely ignore Elle if you're crouching down.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Last of us was bad and boring. Every attempt is made to make it immersive which is immediately broken when you suddenly have Batman's see-through-walls radar vision and enemies completely ignore Elle if you're crouching down.

:laffo: at this loving goober

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Civilization 2 is the best game in the series, it's had numerous other peaks, Baba Yetu, Leonard Nimoy telling me I'd discovered Spaceflight, Sean Bean but overall nothing beats the FMV advisors

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The best feature of Civ 6 was the ability to chain district bonuses between cities, which got patched early on, turning the game into irredeemable garbage.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Last of Us is really good. I think I played it on hard, so I can't speak to lower difficulties. I remember finding it really rewarding, and while the story is only okay, the presentation is great.

That said, the middle third of that game is a slog and probably bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Away all Goats posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This game is great if you selectively ignore key mechanics they expect you to build your gameplay around

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I think you need to find a better use for "hundreds of hours," just not in the tireless defense of how you wasted them.

Especially in this, the Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

This game is great if you selectively ignore key mechanics they expect you to build your gameplay around

it isn't a key mechanics, it was added in there because the game is challenging

it doesn't matter unless you wanna get all moral or whatever about menus, just change the menu thing

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I've been thinking of playing more RDR2 only to see more of the small, weird things that Rockstar has crafted, but I also know that will mean playing story missions where you do the same 50 man shooting gallery over and over. I dont know if I can do it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, play on baby mode if you want... :shrug:

No sweat off our backs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, you are a loving scrub if you use iron sights in games.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

steinrokkan posted:

The best feature of Civ 6 was the ability to chain district bonuses between cities, which got patched early on, turning the game into irredeemable garbage.

Civ 6 tried to fix a lot of fundamental issues with Civ 5's systems, like districts and corps/armies, but it also doubled down on a lot of dumb stuff like the implementation of religion and spies. It's basically 2 steps forward and 2 steps back: the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, you are a loving scrub if you use iron sights in games.

It's a mechanic that is only in the easy modes. You can't even turn it on for the harder modes. And it's less a key mechanic and more just baby mode so the game can have more mass appeal.