Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, it's great! Sometimes you get lucky early game with a pod crash survivor that somehow has an assault rifle or some such but you don't want them outside of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Strip the bodies, kill the survivors, turn them into compost/pigs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gotta get those pants off them before they poo poo themselves at the moment of death.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Brain in a Jar

quote:

Sacrifice people to boost research speed!

This mod was created for people with huge mod lists.
No longer will researching that mountain of tech be such a monumental feat!

This mod adds in the ability to havest brains of humans, which you will then be able to construct the amazing Brain In a Jar!

Just research the appropriate tech under the Brain In a Jar tab and you are good to go!

Each Brain In a Jar constructed will give a +6% boost to the research speed of each hi-tech research table it is linked to, each Brain Processor will give a +25% boost.
There is no limit to the amount of jars that can be linked to a bench!

Research the Multi-Brain tech for even more research boosting potential!

Researching the Bionics tech will allow you to create Drone Brains. Using a Drone Brain will allow you to replace the brain of any victim without killing them, allowing them to live in a lombotomized state!

:brainworms:

Bioreactor - Living Battery

quote:

Feature
1. Produces electricity from Living Thing.
2. Use raw food as fuel.
3. If desired, storage thing can be melted into fuel.
4. Storage thing are preserved semi-permanently. ( Like crypto casket )

Storable Thing: Everything that can move
Storable count: 1
Power production: 1050W ( Living Thing ) or 1400W ( Humanlike olny )
Fuel: Raw Food
Research Prerequisite: BiofuelRefining

How to put into BioReactor.
1. Direct orders to colonist
2. Command to carry lying down pawn.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 22, 2018

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

HelloSailorSign posted:

I think you need both animal armor mod bits to make it work - one adds the functionality, the other the basic armors.

This was it, thanks!

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

I love this mod! (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1438693028)

I've had it set to 5-day intervals rendering the entire map.

Here's the first 5 years of my current mountain home playthrough:

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Does caravan distance / trade frequency matter? I have both outlander factions connected fairly closely by road to my colony. I just continue alternating visits between the two factions for my trade. If I send a caravan to a more distant location will I get more favorable trade?

Also, does anyone have any sense about how long it takes for other factions' colonies to replenish their goods for trading? My two trading partners are seriously 0.5 days connected by road - I've been sending single sword-wielding paws with a couple of simple meals, and can do it very frequently.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

sharkbomb posted:

Does caravan distance / trade frequency matter? I have both outlander factions connected fairly closely by road to my colony. I just continue alternating visits between the two factions for my trade. If I send a caravan to a more distant location will I get more favorable trade?

Also, does anyone have any sense about how long it takes for other factions' colonies to replenish their goods for trading? My two trading partners are seriously 0.5 days connected by road - I've been sending single sword-wielding paws with a couple of simple meals, and can do it very frequently.
Distance doesn't matter, and I believe the reset interval is 30 days (2 quadrum).

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Herb Dington posted:

I've had it set to 5-day intervals rendering the entire map.

Here's the first 5 years of my current mountain home playthrough:

How do you build a mountain base without any worry of infestations? I know it's not a problem at sub-Arctic temperatures, but is there a better way for more tropical biomes?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You know you can just disable the incident if you really don't want to deal with them right

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You can end pretty much any infestation with a strong melee guy with a personal shield clogging a doorway and a whole bunch of guns behind them. People really oversell how bad infestations are in this thread

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

How do you build a mountain base without any worry of infestations? I know it's not a problem at sub-Arctic temperatures, but is there a better way for more tropical biomes?

Keep the whole base sub-zero using coolers?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My last base had two infestations, both completely contained within my dining hall. So I set about a new project, swapped my dining room and guest barracks, rebuilt the walls out of plasteel-reinforced concrete with occasional embrasures, and set up remote-detonated incendiary explosives.

Never got another infestation again, but I promise you my visitors knew their loving place.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

You know you can just disable the incident if you really don't want to deal with them right

This is what I do.

Merry Christmas, everyone! (except the bugs)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

You can end pretty much any infestation with a strong melee guy with a personal shield clogging a doorway and a whole bunch of guns behind them. People really oversell how bad infestations are in this thread

My underground bases have 3 wide hallways with many junctions. I set up 3 melee and 10 ranged at a junction point and the bugs are cleared fairly easily. The burrowing time removed a lot of the, “this is poo poo” of infestations. Friendly fire mod makes it much simpler too - the front row of ranged are often directly supporting the melee while back row is firing at the back row of bugs.

Get a pair of chain shotguns and let er rip!

I like infestations for the kibble meat and insect jelly (just about to make sirenium in current game, I’ll see how it manages the hunter who lost their daughter in a recent raid).

I find infestations much less bullshit than 45 pirates with 8 doomsday rocket launchers.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

HelloSailorSign posted:

My underground bases have 3 wide hallways with many junctions. I set up 3 melee and 10 ranged at a junction point and the bugs are cleared fairly easily. The burrowing time removed a lot of the, “this is poo poo” of infestations. Friendly fire mod makes it much simpler too - the front row of ranged are often directly supporting the melee while back row is firing at the back row of bugs.

Get a pair of chain shotguns and let er rip!

I like infestations for the kibble meat and insect jelly (just about to make sirenium in current game, I’ll see how it manages the hunter who lost their daughter in a recent raid).

I find infestations much less bullshit than 45 pirates with 8 doomsday rocket launchers.

One of my mods apparently comes with automatic mortars. So I'm excited to see how that works.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Since when have mortars been able to fire stone chunks or was that an unintended thing from one of the mods I have installed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Since when have mortars been able to fire stone chunks or was that an unintended thing from one of the mods I have installed.

Do you have something that adds catapults? Because my guess is that whatever is implementing that changed the chunks to be considered ammo, rather than making the catapult consider chunks as ammo. Gonna go ahead and check this myself though to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Telsa Cola posted:

Medieval Times, I think.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yeah thats it. I was all smug thinking I was fine when a siege ran out of ammo only to watch horrifed as they started lugging boulders to the mortars and begining punching more holes into my base.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I mean that's loving hardcore and cool.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I had that nail me too. I have to admit it's weird, but I don't mind it too much.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah thats it. I was all smug thinking I was fine when a siege ran out of ammo only to watch horrifed as they started lugging boulders to the mortars and begining punching more holes into my base.

Feature not bug imo

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The Vampire mod is very fun. Makes me want a new vtm game

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Average Bear posted:

The Vampire mod is very fun. Makes me want a new vtm game

All of Jecrell's mods are absolutely fantastic. I'm currently running all of them except the Lord of the Rings related ones since there was a lot of build menu clutter for hobbit houses that I didnt want to build

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
His mechanics are good, but the overall mods could use a couple balance passes.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 28, 2018

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The bone component is definitely very over powered. After doing all the bone refining research, you can start turning bones into bonecrete and ash that's inflammable and has more durability and beauty that most other materials. Oh, and can also be transformed into plasteel.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

moot the hopple posted:

The bone component is definitely very over powered. After doing all the bone refining research, you can start turning bones into bonecrete and ash that's inflammable and has more durability and beauty that most other materials. Oh, and can also be transformed into plasteel.

inflammable means "very flammable"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah the bone mod I've been considering taking out, and I'm generally not one to care for balance. I haven't even done the research stuff but having 7000 of a pretty good building resource lying around at all times sure makes things less interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main issue I had with the bone mod was just that you get so much of the goddamn stuff.

If they cut it by a factor of maybe 10 it'd be a lot better, cos a lot of the refined products are really good. Maybe cut the refining efficiency a bunch.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
There's an option in the mod menu to reduce it to whatever % you like. Still, I agree with y'all with its a bit overpowered. Food that stores forever and makes great furniture.

Oh hey if you ran into an Antediluvian in your travels how would you go about sucking its soul or taking it home? It's got 80 damage soaking

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they're based on VTM vampires, uh, you don't. You run because it's the end of the world.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:stare: what generation is that? I've never seen anyone older than Methuselah

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Who even shipped the Antediluvians to this lovely rimworld?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If I discovered a vampire's crypt you better believe I'd rather put it in a rocket and fire it off into space than go the traditional route and open it, they ALWAYS wake up and get you before you can stake them. Always.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Antedilluvian is 3rd gen and I reloaded that encounter. Seemed a little buggy that the Nesferatu antedilluvian was chilling on a Rimworld with a... 4th gen sire??? And her name was Sarah not Absimiliard

Now its a 4th gen and well lets see what happens

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Hey this fat bitch has been around since before Noah built his lovely boat and survived that long, but I bet nobody ever thought to give him the ol' Wake and Stake!" --me, a brain genius vampire hunter seconds before getting done like a capri sun

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Cool side note: When your Vampire gets a high enough melee skill through Potence, their swings can cause small explosions on high dice rolls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps there should be an option to build a drilling rig on top of the coffin to kill the vampire that way :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Danaru posted:

If I discovered a vampire's crypt you better believe I'd rather put it in a rocket and fire it off into space than go the traditional route and open it, they ALWAYS wake up and get you before you can stake them. Always.

Good point. Though if you're going to all that trouble, wouldn't it be better to just aim for the sun?