Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Second floor of imagination pavillion is DVC not AP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

couldcareless posted:

I'll settle for the dog next to the grounds keeper in haunted mansion.

You leave Boney alone!!!!

He's a good dog.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I've officially been to Disney to many times, how do I know?

At a wedding this past weekend the couple had a professional photographer taking pictures with the people at each table, when my turn was up I naturally lifted my jacket sleeve to have them scan a magic band that was not there.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Anyone here insane enough to brave the parks before the new year?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Taking friends on the 2nd and 3rd and hoping it's cleared out a bit by then.

Quixotic1 posted:

I've officially been to Disney to many times, how do I know?

At a wedding this past weekend the couple had a professional photographer taking pictures with the people at each table, when my turn was up I naturally lifted my jacket sleeve to have them scan a magic band that was not there.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

This is the funniest drat thing and if I were shooting that wedding I would immediately pull out my flash and pretend it were a scanner and hold it to your wrist.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I pity the soul.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

couldcareless posted:

I pity the soul.

On tour all this week. Pray for me.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bottom Liner posted:

Taking friends on the 2nd and 3rd and hoping it's cleared out a bit by then.

It won’t be. Kids don’t go back to school until the 7th or 8 and parents will keep kids out of school so I would expect it to be busy through that week.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Oh dang

https://twitter.com/wdwkingdomcast/status/1077362675976466432?s=21

There’s another one on the account with a wider shot of the room.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Cais posted:

I'll preemptively put in an obituary for you.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cais posted:

Cool to see you today. It's been a while.

Sair
May 11, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I've done it years ago. It busy.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Good luck cast members - wishing you lots of alcohol and comfortable shoes.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I’m going to enjoy Christmas by regularly checking the ride wait times on the mobile app from the comfort of my home.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Cool to see you today. It's been a while.

You too! 2 days in a row even. Every other park was fine today, but as soon as we hit Magic Kingdom it was a madhouse. The other parks really weren’t that bad to walk around, at least.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wait times look pretty low for MK, only 65 for Seven Dwarves. Is it a party night??

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Got engaged yesterday (humblebrag) and as someone who has zero idea about arranging welcome gifts and stuff, are there any I specifically should look into for our resort check in? We go in March. Might do engagement photos down there too but I would just use one of the 8 billion instagrammers who do it vs Disney.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hit me up yo, I’d love to do some in the parks/resorts. http://amongthepinesphotography.com

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 26, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats!!!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Congrats! First order of business is to let the CM know you’re there celebrating your engagement when you check in. You’ll get buttons and everyone the entire trip will wish you congrats and ask what you’re celebrating. You may get a comped dessert with a cute little message here and there, if you eat at table service places.

Disney will be happy to put some themed stuff in your room. It’s all a bit pricey, of course, but hey, mouse gotta eat.

In terms of photography, nothing against Bottom Liner but - we got a Disney Fine Arts photography private session. It was expensive but not mind breakingly so, I think. You get into certain bits of park (notably most of World Showcase) before general open, so you get some pictures that aren’t really possible when the place is swamped. We thought it was worth the price, especially if you’re thinking about splashing out for engagement photos anyway.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Congrats! If you don’t like any of Disney’s offerings or want something in addition to their room surprises, you can ask them to also include with the surprise another gift you brought separately.

For example, my life absolutely loves splash mountain, so I surprised her with blueprints of the ride. I had to buy them online, but Disney is generally willing to help with those surprises.

I’m not sure if they’d be as willing to help if you don’t also buy one of their gift packages, but it’s Disney so generally cast members might be cool with something like that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I know the Disney Fine Arts photography can arrange a photo shoot at Haunted Mansion in the early morning before the park opens. I always find the juxtaposition of the theme of our ride and a newlywed couple funny, but it makes for a pretty photo.

A good friend of mine got a session in front of Star Tours with lightsabers because she and her husband are HUGE Star Wars nerds so they are open to suggestions too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That buzzy story too ka weird twist this weekend. Backdoor Disney aka Patrick Allen Spikes got arrested for allegedly stealing Buzzys clothes.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

That buzzy story too ka weird twist this weekend. Backdoor Disney aka Patrick Allen Spikes got arrested for allegedly stealing Buzzys clothes.

Just the clothes??

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The animatronic is gone and there’s pictures of the severed wires but no one is saying whether it was theft or Disney.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here’s the arrest form or whatever. Dude definitely seems shady.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for recs in photography. Might hit you up BL depending on what the girl wants to do.

I feel like you need a team to steal a goddamn animatronic.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
So, with a relatively young kid, we were comfortable taking her out of school for a few days to enjoy the Disney parks at their least crowded. Unfortunately, our little girl is in fourth grade and skipping school to go to the parks is starting to get us some side eye. What this means is that we are heading to Universal Orlando next Tuesday, the first, and staying through the fifth. Or ally I’m pretty prepared with plans and reservations, etc. but this kind of cam e together at the last minute. On the plus side, we are staying at the hard rock, so will have express passes, but I’m a bit worried about the crowds around the Harry Potter theming and getting food without waiting on line for hours.

With that in mind, I’d love to hear folks’ thoughts on just how crowded the parks will be and any tips on managing the crowds that are there. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Anyone have any experience with Supershuttle? Going to use it to get to Universal from the airport, and most of the reviews seem similar (some love it, some hate it, some are meh). I just figure with the two of us, I'd rather have a solid plan, and I'm not sure that it'll be cheaper to take an Uber for both of us as we're getting a price of $31 total minus tip.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Silly Burrito posted:

Anyone have any experience with Supershuttle? Going to use it to get to Universal from the airport, and most of the reviews seem similar (some love it, some hate it, some are meh). I just figure with the two of us, I'd rather have a solid plan, and I'm not sure that it'll be cheaper to take an Uber for both of us as we're getting a price of $31 total minus tip.

Uber/Lyft is almost exactly the same price.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

brunch with yr parents posted:

With that in mind, I’d love to hear folks’ thoughts on just how crowded the parks will be and any tips on managing the crowds that are there. Thanks!

I was at Universal on Christmas Day a couple of years ago (or maybe New Years; whichever it was, they were literally pulling accountants and HR people to work in the parks due to the crowd). Having Express Passes will make your life vastly easier, but you’ll want to be at the park at rope drop to hurry out to the Hogwarts Express. Take it in whichever direction and quickly move to whichever ride doesn’t take Express Passes on your exit side (IIRC, Forbidden Journey and Gringotts). From what I remember, if you hit Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks at off-peak hours there is no problem at all finding a table, even for a party of 8 like we were.

Flight of the Hippogriff takes Express Passes, so if your kid is anything like mine expect to be spending a goodly amount of time in that line.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
All the Harry Potter attractions have Express Pass now.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah they turned the castle tour into the express line so you’re set there.

The FP+ line for Safari was all the way past Tusker House to the Africa bridge but this was also my day so I guess there are some trade offs.

The FP lines have been pretty manageable but walking around the parks has been awful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No clue why AK specifically was nuts today but my wife had to park at Blizzard and bus over and it's blocked out for the next week for cast members.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Bottom Liner posted:

No clue why AK specifically was nuts today but my wife had to park at Blizzard and bus over and it's blocked out for the next week for cast members.

Is the cast member blackout calendar public? That's one way to check for peak days.

Edit: here's the link https://blockoutdates.disney.com/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Currently at MK for the early NYE fireworks and it's not crazy busy. Today is the day to be here if you don't care about being at the parks on actual NYE. No traffic jams, no phase closings, I can walk around the crowds. And as a bonus they are doing one last run of the Christmas parade.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah it was pretty manageable today. We did our loop of MK in about four hours then popped over to studios to do Toy Story Land. Didn’t hit any real congestion even in fantasyland. Even the toll plaza was completely empty at ~2:30.

Edit: also shoutout to BBS for being there literally every single time I brought my guests through haunted mansion. Not even my night group dodged him.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you doing tours Cais?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1079530075312324608?s=21

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1079526880326418432?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Empress Brosephine posted:

Are you doing tours Cais?

Did five of them this week. Now I’m ready to rest lol.