Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You need to, and usually probably should to keep your vassals in check, appoint the viceroys yourself. That way it helps keep your exarchs relatively weak.

The only problem with that is the titles then go to the exarch and then to you when they die so it can be a bit tedious to hand them all back out but worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sky Shadowing posted:

You need to, and usually probably should to keep your vassals in check, appoint the viceroys yourself. That way it helps keep your exarchs relatively weak.

The only problem with that is the titles then go to the exarch and then to you when they die so it can be a bit tedious to hand them all back out but worth it.

I should start when I can, but most of them are duchies now anyway. It might be time for another realm wide console clean up, though I can wait til more stuff de jure drifts in.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Is there any new way to do retinues? I just remember that Cataphracts were amazing. The Roman one is interesting...400 pikemen and 150 HI.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eimi posted:

Is there any new way to do retinues? I just remember that Cataphracts were amazing. The Roman one is interesting...400 pikemen and 150 HI.

If I remember right a pretty good all around retinue is to just use the generic shock or defense. Some of the cultural ones are better, but when in doubt just use the generic.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Two quick questions about religious reformation, apologies if they've come up before:

With hierocratic paganism, how does inheriting the religious head title work? Is a new Pagan Pope generated from the void or is it inherited by an existing character?

Secondly, are merchant republics entirely disabled for matriarchal (enatic clans) societies? I notice the reform says you can't take it if you're a merchant republic, but what if I later create a city duchy?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Guildencrantz posted:

Two quick questions about religious reformation, apologies if they've come up before:

With hierocratic paganism, how does inheriting the religious head title work? Is a new Pagan Pope generated from the void or is it inherited by an existing character?

Secondly, are merchant republics entirely disabled for matriarchal (enatic clans) societies? I notice the reform says you can't take it if you're a merchant republic, but what if I later create a city duchy?

Hierocratic is the standard "religious head always exists, successor is conjured out of thin air" thing that all standard religions (except Catholics) share.

I think enatic succession is just disabled for merchant republics. It's apparently still hardcoded that you can't do matri marriages as merchant republics, which would make enatic succession very problematic. You would have to use seduction focus and churn out bastard daughters? It's not really practical. Cognatic succession is apparently enabled as of Holy Fury, so if you are interested in playing women doges, try that instead?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Merchant republic no matrilineal marriage isn't quite hardcoded, it's modifiable in governments definition (allows_matrilineal_marriage) way at least as far back as 2015

What does seem to be hardcoded is that the flag set_allows_matrilineal_marriage that the Conclave laws use (and I guess Holy Fury) to allow things don't override the governments flag for merchant republic, whereas it does override for other government types (e.g. muslims).

Not sure why not, since afai could tell back then it didn't cause any problems (other than a UI bug with the heir display).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 27, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Anyway, I wanted to culture change my nomad playthrough (because mongol culture clothing sucks, vanity lol). Turns out you can't culture change as a nomad, the culture change guardianship events check for parents/siblings being nomadic.
Also the fact that non-cultured can't inherit is also posing a problem (probably why they disallowed culture changes in the first place, heh)

So it needs to get really convoluted mechanics abuse wise unmodded - TLDR apparently is to manufacture a grandson (with all parents/siblings dead) with a strong claim to culture convert, then press claim, then settle as tribal and die to swap over to him.

So guess I'll be staying mongol.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 27, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, it's basically impossible to culture change as a nomad without cheating. I found that out the hard way when Horse Lords first came out. Turns out you can't convert to mongol to form the Mongol Empire.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean changing culture for better clothes is the only reason why I went Roman over Greek. Changes all the random names for the worse but what can you do?

binge crotching posted:

If I remember right a pretty good all around retinue is to just use the generic shock or defense. Some of the cultural ones are better, but when in doubt just use the generic.

I see. I'm still used to cataphracts being unstopped gods of war. I'm guessing that's no longer the case? The cultural building of Roman gives you bonuses to infantry power so I guess that's a benefit. Though something I noticed is that basically killing off the enemy is a lot harder, even with shattered retreat off. You could beat them with a heavy infantry stack, but only kill a handful. Perhaps like a mix of the Roman Pikeman/HI with the cav retinue to run them down after fighting?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So, how strong is the elephant retinue? I'm talking about animal kingdom elephants, who get a cultural retinue of 100 elephants for just 1000 retinue cap usage. That's hands down the strongest retinue in the game, right?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Wait animals do actually get bonuses? I thought I saw a tool tip that said they don't in game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Wait animals do actually get bonuses? I thought I saw a tool tip that said they don't in game.

I don't think they get any kind of stat bonus (someone mentioned that dragons get a personal combat skill bonus? I'm not sure; I haven't played an Animal Kingdoms game myself) but they can get unique cultural retinues the same way anyone else does, and one that's just 100 elephants would be insanely strong.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
God damnit. I reformed religion with equality (well, actually the Bon version "Harmonious") to get Full Cognatic because I had a genius daughter floating around that I wanted to inherit the khaganate. When she did, the law was reset to Agnatic again. That's annoying, though NBD given the piles of dudes around.

Can't switch by law change either, since the status of women thing is perma-locked to full.

Also, apparently you can't join the Hermetics as a nomad. There goes the usual plan of artifact abuse.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 27, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm going off the wiki here, I'll test this out tomorrow. But the elephant unique retinue also gets +50% elephant offense, and +25% elephant defense. Compare that to Steel Bow Infantry (the Indian retinue), which is 200 archers and 20 elephants for 600 retinue cap usage, which only gets +10% archer offense and +30% archer defense.

By the way, dragons get 150 heavy cavalry for 900 retinue cap usage, with the unique bonus of +75% heavy cavalry offense (!), and +100% heavy cavalry morale (!!). That's pretty brutal, too. The German/French knight retinue is 150 heavy cavalry and 100 light cavalry for 1200 retinue cap usage, and +10% heavy cavalry offense, +10% heavy cavalry defense and +20% heavy cavalry morale.

At least dragons don't have access to Couched Lance Charge...

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
OK, stop paying attention to those. What's important about retinues is you have full control over their composition, and thus the RNG combat tactics chosen, which are multipliers on base stats + bonuses.

This is why cataphracts suck, heavy cav + horse archers do not have compatible tactics and thus are worse off comparatively from other choices (on a per cost comparative basis.) At least until you run into supply limits in which case the raw per unit (rather than per cost) stats win out over efficient per cost setups.

On the flip side, there's been numerous nerfs over the years to the more abusive edge cases (e.g. light cav stacking is now hurt by the presence of disorganized harass when you have >70% LCav, 33% the damage and 50% more damage taken over regular harass). However, probably the best overall is stacking Camels which count as Light Cav but have better stats for the same cost.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 28, 2018

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Torrannor posted:

I think enatic succession is just disabled for merchant republics. It's apparently still hardcoded that you can't do matri marriages as merchant republics, which would make enatic succession very problematic. You would have to use seduction focus and churn out bastard daughters? It's not really practical. Cognatic succession is apparently enabled as of Holy Fury, so if you are interested in playing women doges, try that instead?

Eh, I don't want to play a merchant republic, I just wanted to find out if taking enatic will prevent me from starting a vassal republic as a money making engine. If it works but allows dudes to run things then it's fine by me :)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, there's a fuckton of events and stuff for the warrior lodges aaaaaaaa

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

So, how strong is the elephant retinue? I'm talking about animal kingdom elephants, who get a cultural retinue of 100 elephants for just 1000 retinue cap usage. That's hands down the strongest retinue in the game, right?

If you could run a 100% elephant retinue it would have the best raw stats in the game. You'd have to double check what triggers the grey wall tactic, but as far as base power goes it would be unmatched.

It's also probably not worth it though, since the cap usage is so high.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I miss welsh archer retinues. I did a welsh viking republic game one time where I just spammed welsh archers for my retinue back when they were top poo poo, and they would wreck everything. Far cry from the all light infantry retinue I'm running now lol.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

binge crotching posted:

Yeah, this is the main thing to worry about when it comes to retinues, or at least it is for me. Wider retinues give you the sheer numbers to overwhelm and flank your enemies, and losses are easier to replace.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
700+ hours in, and I have to admit, I don't really know what the retinue bonuses actually do.

Lets say a unit gives +30% archer defense. Does that apply to only the few men in the unit, to the flank, or the whole army?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
IIRC retinue bonuses only apply to the retinue unit itself. So your Special Retinue Archers™ will have the +30% bonus, while the yobs and louts you've levied, regardless of where they are, won't get squat. That said, I also think the bonuses you get from the highest-upgraded cultural castle building in your capital are added to your retinues, while the troops you get from said buildings only get the building's bonuses.

EDIT: So let's take your retinue archers. Their cultural bonus is +30% defensive, while the most upgraded castle cultural building gives them an additional +15%. Your troops' bonuses will look like this:

Your retinue archers in general: +45% Defensive.
Archers from that castle: +15% Defensive
Levy archers: lolno/"When the one with the bow gets killed, the one holding the arrows picks up the bow and shoots!"

EDIT 2: Not sure where the troops you get from a Merchant Republic's mansions fall into this, but I'd assume it was the same as levies.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 29, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
First time making a custom empire.

I just use a balanced retinue, with equal numbers of pike battalion and heavy cavalry battalions since that seems more realistic to me.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Like I usually chime in to say when the subject of retinues comes up, it's not so much about the units themselves as it is the phases of battle and tactics. So using cataphracts as an example, they're really bad because they're expensive and are made up of two units that want to do two different things. Horse archers want to stay in skirmish and even have a tactic that can extend it, while heavy cavalry wants to get to the melee phase and have a tactic that cuts the skirmish phase short. They also have no tactics that can fire helping both unit types out. https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Combat_tactics lists them out, but in general you want units that all excel at one phase of battle together. So for example the new tribal retinue that is light infantry and light cavalry might not look that great at first glance but then they fire the raid tactic and suddenly they're doing 240% damage and routing things before they even get to the melee phase.

quote:

If you could run a 100% elephant retinue it would have the best raw stats in the game. You'd have to double check what triggers the grey wall tactic, but as far as base power goes it would be unmatched.

Actually it looks like you want to throw in like one elephant retinue with a lot of generic pike or heavy infantry to get elephant trample to fire.

If anyone is ever in doubt of their cultural retinue being any good generic pike or heavy infantry retinues are both solid.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 29, 2018

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

lurksion posted:

Merchant republic no matrilineal marriage isn't quite hardcoded, it's modifiable in governments definition (allows_matrilineal_marriage) way at least as far back as 2015

What does seem to be hardcoded is that the flag set_allows_matrilineal_marriage that the Conclave laws use (and I guess Holy Fury) to allow things don't override the governments flag for merchant republic, whereas it does override for other government types (e.g. muslims).

Not sure why not, since afai could tell back then it didn't cause any problems (other than a UI bug with the heir display).

It doesn't work for Muslims either since 3.0. The tooltip for allow_matrilineal_marriage says something like "religion now allows matrilineal marriage", I wonder if it was reformulated to work on the religion and they just forgot about the government type block.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Yashichi posted:

It doesn't work for Muslims either since 3.0. The tooltip for allow_matrilineal_marriage says something like "religion now allows matrilineal marriage", I wonder if it was reformulated to work on the religion and they just forgot about the government type block.
Ah guess they'll need to fix that then.

The whole cognatic stuff is kinda funky ATM, I need to get around to reproducing the Agnatic roll back I also mentioned on this page

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Quick question: if I want to go on pilgrimage, do I need the Way of Life DLC or Sons of Abraham or just either one? I have Way of Life and a theology focused character and have no idea if pilgrimage is just a random event that crops up or what.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Should be Sons of Abraham that gives the decision option

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I really shouldn't have started in the Charlemagne start, as the world is incredibly stable. As well, my expedition to try and force the other pagan faiths has been pretty ineffective, as soon as I start getting the land for Suomensuko started the locals wanted to adopt Hellenism. Chernigov in particular, who own most of Russia...so so much for that. Maybe if I can I liberate Lithuania/Wendish empire I could get Romuva? I suppose I could fight against the nascent Hellenic kingdoms, but that feels against the kind of feel I want to do for this playthrough.

As well, I've asked a few times, but I wonder if anyone could help me out. When I try to change my hairstyle, it just gives me these stupid veil options instead of actually changing my hair, and I wonder if there was any way I could mod it so I could change my hair.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Eimi posted:

As well, I've asked a few times, but I wonder if anyone could help me out. When I try to change my hairstyle, it just gives me these stupid veil options instead of actually changing my hair, and I wonder if there was any way I could mod it so I could change my hair.

Yeah this is a known bug. :( Until PDX fixes it your best bet is to make an uncompressed save, find your character's entry, and fiddle around with the second digit of the "Properties" strong until you find something you like.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah this is a known bug. :( Until PDX fixes it your best bet is to make an uncompressed save, find your character's entry, and fiddle around with the second digit of the "Properties" strong until you find something you like.

Given the bugs with Hellenic god names...this is making me think I should do what I always do when I get frustrated with PDX. Play valkyries and go try and murder the pope.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

im giving tribal african a go and it seems a bit like a slower start that other pagan starts. I started out in the 700s start as songhay with very limited options for wives and counselors with decent traits. my main diplomat has a diplomacy of 8 and he is literally the best option right now so fabricating claims has not happened. Seriously there is no one willing to join my court who is better. Though it is fun to make all your neighbors tributaries and send out raiding parties into north africa for prisoners to sell for money. Kind of biding my time until I can do another subjugation war and raiding weak neighbors to encourage them to be attacked by others (whom I can subjugate with my next ruler)

There are perks tho. Starting with elective eldership has allowed me to have greater influence on my heirs. Dodged a slow character (half brother who I eventually killed because they would not stop nominating him) and a dull one (my first son). apparently half the elders want a complete maroon on the throne. Currently I am on my 2nd ruler who is a disfigured homosexual warrior king. currently and he and his wife has pumped out 7 (!) kids including 3 sons (one dull) without any fertility focuses or bonuses. Glad gavelkind wasnt the default here.

also my treasury keeps flooding and destroying my artifacts. Is there some way to prevent this????? I am losing artifacts as fast as I can get them because I dont want to pay 180g to keep them. Tribal as gently caress right now so I have terrible income. Help me install plumbing

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
somebody in the CK subreddit posted peak Karling chin

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eimi posted:

I really shouldn't have started in the Charlemagne start, as the world is incredibly stable.

My Asturias start in Charlemagne went to totally opposite direction, when the Big Charles decided to die in battle without founding the HRE. The Central Europe has since been a clusterfuck of 4-5 kingdoms in eternal war, and my early victories-based Leon was chipping away the sunni countries in Iberia aiming towards Hispanian empire.

Now that I have that empire and we just reached the year 1000, the CE is still a clusterfuck with pope throwing out excommunications and crusades against all directions while the muslim states just keep exploding again and again from the decadence. The CE has constantly someone being in war with someone, and I think the king of Burgundy was at one point islamic, but since the last crusade they are under the king of Germany. Somehow Suomi and Poland own almost everything north of the Baltic Sea, and the kings of England have been danish for a while now. Looks really interesting when the Mongol invasion happens, although like always they probably just drop everything and beeline into my possessions, like 95% of times they seem to do.

And my knights of Santiago decided to de-vassallize and abandon my cause because I went to holy war against muslims to conquer the duchy with Lissabon, while their home region ended up being in possession of some jerkwad duke from Wales. What? Also, since at one point I was only given female children for 30 years straight, with one son having the Idiot-attribute, I had to matrilineally marry them around to keep getting suitable offspring. The only people who would accept this was some far east kingdom in Asia, so now the Emperor of Hispania has been mongol-looking for the last three emperors. And that "idiot" son somehow pulled off elusive shadow and ended up being my best spymaster, but trying to murder his father, and dying in jail without any children since he got caught.

It has been very interesting ~300 years. And now the Umayyad is controlled by fat, decadent, craven and 3 other sins -son who is 21 and in excellent health, so he will probably make those assholes dissappear for good.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 29, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I uh, am not sure if this is coded or what but my current dynasty head appears to be very cursed.

Its the mid 800's and a gay Berber warrior queen who converted to Islam is rampaging through Africa. She has a martial score of 37, and just about a full modifer bar of advantages, including a bunch that make it sound like shes chosen by god. After forcing me to vassalize she then goes out of the way to dunk on my character, sending him a fake scepter, demanding my capital provience and so on. Finally I revolt even though I know I will get crushed, right before the first battle I get the cat event, which I chose to take.

Immediately in battle the cat gets shot.

I think this is the firsr CK2 game I have ever lost.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 29, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EmbryoSteve posted:

also my treasury keeps flooding and destroying my artifacts. Is there some way to prevent this????? I am losing artifacts as fast as I can get them because I dont want to pay 180g to keep them. Tribal as gently caress right now so I have terrible income. Help me install plumbing

If you have holdings that experience heavy rain, there's a certain chance that your treasury will flood. Which will basically only hit sub-Saharan Africa, and thus fucks over African pagans. I think that's total bullshit, and just used the console to give me back the money I lost to this event. I played African pagans shortly after release, perhaps there's a mod out there that disables the flooding?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EmbryoSteve posted:

180g...lol. It caps at 750, which is what I'm regularly paying.

The only way to make it stop is to get out of Africa.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
LOL looking at the event that's kind of hilarious (hf_african_flavor_events).

Basically rain changes every 5 years, and a rain event fires every two years. If a character has mostly heavy rain, base chance of 1/6 book, 1/6 chance of weapon or armor getting murdered. After that happens, risk is reduced by a factor of 10 for a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You would think they'd just let you keep them on a loving table at some point, by jove