Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

oh poo poo whenever they have this in, pick it up. Fatalii peppers are my fav

https://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/products/cajohns-select-fatalii-puree?variant=25736104328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Oh hey there's a cooking thread

do i put the sardines in the lentils or the lentils in the sardines or what how does this work

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

do i put the sardines in the lentils or the lentils in the sardines or what how does this work

you can if you want but if ur cooking with sardines you're best off by making some fisherman's eggs

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i never liked fish eggs

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

oh poo poo whenever they have this in, pick it up. Fatalii peppers are my fav

https://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/products/cajohns-select-fatalii-puree?variant=25736104328

Sounds groovy, I'll keep an eye out for this.

Epic High Five posted:

you can if you want but if ur cooking with sardines you're best off by making some fisherman's eggs

Hmmm I might try this when my girlfriend's not looking (she despises sardines)

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Is anyone familiar with a variety of lentils or beans that might be described as "grey"

I was reading an old book and they kept mentioning grey beans

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

Is anyone familiar with a variety of lentils or beans that might be described as "grey"

I was reading an old book and they kept mentioning grey beans

sounds to me like just regular/green lentils

puy lentils maybe?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Sure they don't mean whole green ones? Those can be close to a grey colour.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Hmm yeah maybe

I am also seeing some connections in an old dictionary to Pinto beans, but I am thinking it's probably the lentils

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I just got my first cast iron pan and I'm making burgs with it tonight! Stay tuned for my "loving pan is ruined already" post later

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

I just got my first cast iron pan and I'm making burgs with it tonight! Stay tuned for my "loving pan is ruined already" post later

If you can ruin a cast iron pan with things in your house minus power tools I'd be impressed.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

If you can ruin a cast iron pan with things in your house minus power tools I'd be impressed.

fill w/ water + salt, wait two days

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

are you my old roommate

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

are you my old roommate

you're implying you left this person alive lmbo

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

A little electrolysis and you're back in business!

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Doc Walrus posted:

Don't use soap and water on it. After you're finished using it, just drizzle a very small amount of oil in it and wipe that around with a paper towel. If it has stuff stuck to it, heat it up a bit and sprinkle some salt in there, then scrub it with the salt until the stuff isn't stuck there anymore, then add a bit of oil and wipe it down.

They usually come preseasoned, but if you need to recoat it wipe the whole thing down with oil (inside, outside, bottom, handle, etc), set your oven to 350, then stick it in your oven upside down with some aluminum foil under it to catch drips, and it'll re-season it.

E: Oh, and for truly bulletproof seasoning coat, try flaxseed oil. Check out this post for a how to: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Crakkerjakk has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Dec 27, 2018

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
5 minute dinner.

Grilled hammy and cheese

Throw your ham on your flat top over a burner, you need to dry it out some.

Mayo, not butter

Quickly build it up with the first slice down.

Flip

Eat.

Tavern ham, vermont 30+ day aged cheddar and some kind of 12 grain bread.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Crispy! drat that melted cheese reminds me I need to tempura fry this camembert soon before it goes bad. I've been putting it off since tempura is kind of an ordeal

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Also I made a very nice buffalo blue cheese burger with the cast iron. And I think I cleaned it correctly too! We'll see what color it is in the morning.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

Also I made a very nice buffalo blue cheese burger with the cast iron. And I think I cleaned it correctly too! We'll see what color it is in the morning.

Post a picture now, it's easy to fix quickly with like zero work

twoday
May 4, 2005

Plinkey posted:

Mayo, not butter

brave

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

We just got a new countertop grill/griddle thing to replace our aging Foreman and I've had grilled cheese for approximately the last 37 meals and I regret nothing.

Also made some kickass ham&beans out of our Christmas leftovers.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is the proper way to do a grilled cheese. try it once and you'll never go back

twoday
May 4, 2005

I do it already but people usually freak out when you talk about it

Though I make grilled cheese properly roughly once every five years, usually if I want a hot cheese sandwich I use a tosti machine

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
got this bad boy today

cheezer on the way

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
another 5 minute sandwich

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this is the proper way to do a grilled cheese. try it once and you'll never go back

I tried it once the first time I saw some goon recommend it years ago and I immediately went back because it’s loving weird and gross and doesn’t taste right and gets too brown.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imo cast iron cookware is both bad and disgusting

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Baloogan posted:

imo cast iron cookware is both bad and disgusting
wot

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday
May 4, 2005

Plinkey posted:

got this bad boy today

cheezer on the way

I have a camping stove that looks like half of that

I use it to do a Mongolian hotpot sort of thing where you cook at the dinner table sometimes on festive occasions

And for camping

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

I have a camping stove that looks like half of that

I use it to do a Mongolian hotpot sort of thing where you cook at the dinner table sometimes on festive occasions

And for camping

i needed a better heat source for my flat top, since it didnt really span two burners on my range.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

twoday posted:

I do it already but people usually freak out when you talk about it

Though I make grilled cheese properly roughly once every five years, usually if I want a hot cheese sandwich I use a tosti machine

twoday
May 4, 2005

omg it even has the ring

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

twoday posted:

omg it even has the ring

twoday
May 4, 2005

I have some recipes to post but I need to cook them again to make photos

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
The lighting in my apartment is still all hosed up until maintenance shows up, but here's what I made tonight:

bulgogi sandwiches with spinach, caramelized red onions and spicy mayo. I made the marinade a little too salty, but other than that it's great.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

The lighting in my apartment is still all hosed up until maintenance shows up, but here's what I made tonight:

bulgogi sandwiches with spinach, caramelized red onions and spicy mayo. I made the marinade a little too salty, but other than that it's great.

good poo poo op

I did a trial run of my corned beef/cabbage/taters/whatever else I decide to cook in the juices last night and it's real fuckin good

no pics tho because I was also real fuckin drunk

the instant pot is just incredible for turning big tough cuts of meat into tender deliciousness

oh that reminds me, gonna make a couple pounds of black eyed peas too, how much baking soda should I soak it in overnight so peeps ain't farting up a storm?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Woah is that a thing you can do?? If I could fart less I would eat way more beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

Woah is that a thing you can do?? If I could fart less I would eat way more beans

haven't done it personally but I've read it a lot and am willing to try it out

overnight soaking is supposed to help and baking soda apparently helps even more