Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I was talking with some friends about what are the actual historical traits of britain

Using terror and civilian massacres is one, we've been top of the game regionally for that since like 1400

Recently Not Getting Invaded has been kind of our thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Last time the UK was invited it was because they sent a letter saying:

"Would you mind terribly invading us and deposing our king?"

It worked.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Captain Splendid posted:

It worked.

extremely british typo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'd also go with obsession with authority and arbitrary rules
and
Amateur and unserious government

Which combines to make the fun situation we have today where parliament is pulling all the levers marked "depose May" and finding out none of them work. Then being utterly powerless after she casts the "tomorrow" spell.

Also the other trait would be a firm belief that if there is information in the public's interest to know then it's not in the public interest for them to be told it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The UK still manages to surprise once in a while.

https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/1077961884152750080

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I was talking with some friends about what are the actual historical traits of britain

Using terror and civilian massacres is one, we've been top of the game regionally for that since like 1400

Having 0 honor, apparently, because

quote:

The use of the adjective "perfidious" to describe England has a long history; instances have been found as far back as the 13th century.

lol at perfidious Albion

the USA learned that lesson well, as the natives can surely attest

e:

quote:

In 2012, Fabian Picardo, the Chief Minister of Gibraltar, used the phrase to describe the UK government's position on the UN Decolonisation Committee: "Perfidious Albion, for this reason ... The position of the United Kingdom is as usual so nuanced that it's difficult to see where they are on the spectrum, but look that's what Britain's like and we all love being British."[10]

lmao

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

it just rolls off the tongue in both english and french, use it all the time regardless of social context

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

It worked.

*Starts frantically searching for the right dutch protestant king*

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

prefect posted:

The UK still manages to surprise once in a while.

https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/1077961884152750080

Tbf Macron did his "please calm down" speech to the gilets jaunes from behind a golden desk. Turns out abolishing the monarchy without outlawing gaudy furniture results in an incomplete revolution

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bryter posted:

Tbf Macron did his "please calm down" speech to the gilets jaunes from behind a golden desk. Turns out abolishing the monarchy without outlawing gaudy furniture results in an incomplete revolution

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bryter posted:

That guy thinks he's Jupiter.

(Which is to say, yes, he's also an rear end in a top hat.)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
good thing that assholes have necks

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
edit: misread

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2018/dec/27/its-completely-wrong-falsely-accused-tory-mp-attacks-legal-aid-cuts

I never would have thought voting to cut legal aid would cost me all my money in court costs, says man who voted to cut legal aid

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bryter posted:

I mean the french president lives in a literal palace so thats expected, the thing that really was over the top was the golden inkwell or whatever

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jel Shaker posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2018/dec/27/its-completely-wrong-falsely-accused-tory-mp-attacks-legal-aid-cuts

I never would have thought voting to cut legal aid would cost me all my money in court costs, says man who voted to cut legal aid

lol

Reminds me of the story of the dumb American who whined after his house burned down due to not paying the privatized fire department fee.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
here's a fun follow.

https://twitter.com/crimesofbrits/status/1072801460298113025

https://twitter.com/crimesofbrits/status/1077686265200422912

https://twitter.com/crimesofbrits/status/1074109941642944512

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

etalian posted:

lol

Reminds me of the story of the dumb American who whined after his house burned down due to not paying the privatized fire department fee.

in the US though if you're acquitted you don't even get any of your legal fees refunded and never have.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSGp4WIBsQ

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hobbesmaster posted:

in the US though if you're acquitted you don't even get any of your legal fees refunded and never have.

yeah but if you sue someone and lose you don’t have to pay their legal fees either

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Which combines to make the fun situation we have today where parliament is pulling all the levers marked "depose May" and finding out none of them work.

this is currently a running theme in democracy

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Yinlock posted:

this is currently a running theme in democracy

its gonna be interesting seeing all these various democratic republics degrade into run of the mill monarchies at about the same time, maybe we'll get Westphalia 2

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah but if you sue someone and lose you don’t have to pay their legal fees either

depends on how badly you lose

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

that’s nowhere near universal

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Paying the other party's legal fees is a pretty common thing that gets tacked on to the losing side's poo poo.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

Every single conservative on the planet can only learn the stove is hot by burning their hand on it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Every single conservative on the planet can only learn the stove is hot by burning their hand on it.

They never actually learn it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Paying the other party's legal fees is a pretty common thing that gets tacked on to the losing side's poo poo.

i remember john stossel of all people complaining about this in an ancient 20/20 bit

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

depends on how badly you lose

yeah true but it’s not a universal rule

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

etalian posted:

lol

IIRC it wasn't privatized, he just lived in a really remote rural area. The local fire department closed down b/c nobody would pay taxes for it, so a local city said they would provide fire coverage if the rurals would pay taxes to support the cost of the expanded coverage. The locals agreed, and everything was good until this guy's house caught fire. The fire department went and put it out, and noticed that he hadn't paid the tax. They gave him a warning, he said he would pay the tax, and that was that. Until a few months later, his house caught fire again. Fire department put it out, noticed he still hadn't paid, they said, "next time, we let your house burn down", and left. The house caught fire a third time, so the fire department went out, made sure there wasn't anyone stuck in the house, and then they let the house burn down.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Why did his house keep catching on fire

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Flavahbeast posted:

Don't gently caress with the taxman

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm assuming meth lab, but who knows?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

logikv9 posted:

all paths lead to hell

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

In torched house guy's case, literally

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Lol if England thinks anyone will miss them as significant. We've seen what you cunts do when you have any power.

The best part is your fear of everyone else caused you to poo poo yourselves to death. The fear we're like you.

Rule brittania lol. Rule your fuckin nazi shithole country and gently caress off.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Gosh.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol the entire anglosphere has gone insane and continental euros are thinking everything is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

lol the entire anglosphere has gone insane and continental euros are thinking everything is fine

I can't wait for the Canadians and Aussies to reveal how they plan to destroy themselves.