Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't care how good your aim is, tiny droplets are getting flung off to the side. They may or may not be visible, but it's happening. The penis is not a precision instrument.

And this is setting aside that flushing a toilet inherently releases a cloud of micro droplets. It's just unsanitary to have non washable porous surfaces in a bathroom. There's no good reason to do it, plenty of good reasons not to. Sure there's worse things you can do, but that's textbook damning with faint praise.

I had a friend in HS that had carpeted bathrooms, and his mom had signs up in them telling guests that standing up to pee was strictly forbidden and all men had to take a seat. She was always super suspicious of his friends when we came over (with good reason).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Copan Building in São Paulo, Brazil. So big it literally has its own post code.

It also has the world's tallest external staircase - 38 stories of why the gently caress would anyone do this?

You'd do it if there's a fire. It's a fire staircase.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I trim my hair in the bathroom. Having to vacuum damp hair clippings and/or having to put a tarp down every time sounds ridiculous.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Pretty sure smartphones have mitigated the issue of guys pissing all over the seats at home. Especially if there are young kids in the house.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Pretty sure smartphones have mitigated the issue of guys pissing all over the seats at home. Especially if there are young kids in the house.

:what:

EDIT: Like, I'm not implying that you're saying anything untoward, I just have no clue what you meant

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you go take a piss and even subconsciously look forward to it because it means you get to sit down and look at the pretty light, you seriously need to think about smartphone rehab.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I'll bet $100 those nails are basic roofing nails also, not the Simpson ST recommended connector/hanger nails.

Simpson should find a way to make their nails heads painted bright red or something so inspectors can easily see when a carpenter was being a dumbass.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I guess my kids are more work than some. It's a running joke with many parents I know that the bathroom is the only sanctuary you have if only for a few minutes.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

kid sinister posted:

I'll never understand why people do this.

What's the problem? :confused: See when I get out of the shower and towel myself cry, I'm clean as gently caress so the towel only gets cleaner!! Same goes for the carpet!!! :downs: Also man, we should really rename that final smiley to something less... bullyish, perhaps.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Leviathan Song posted:

Also kids. There's no way a carpeted bathroom works in a home with any kids in it.

Both bathrooms in my house were carpeted (over the original 1964 linoleum). That went away the second my daughter started bathing herself.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Took me a minute. Then I was all WTF.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Darchangel posted:

Took me a minute. Then I was all WTF.

For those of us dumbasses/computer touchers, what is it?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 28, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Burt Sexual posted:

That metal bracket is not positioned to be as useful as it could be.

Edit: for reference:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 28, 2018

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
^^^E:F,B.

Burt Sexual posted:

A joist hangar that's oriented wrong. It should be turned so it forms a U holding up that board that ends perpendicular to the other board.

Nails are actually what's used in joist hangars but, as B-Nasty pointed out, they're probably not the right ones.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That makes more sense, thanks!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

GotLag posted:

That metal bracket is not positioned to be as useful as it could be.

Edit: for reference:

:cripes:

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

null_pointer posted:

It was mildly horrifying the first time I shined a UV flashlight around the toilet I use, the most. Thank God for hard, non-porous, easily cleanable surfaces
The kitchen is always fun, especially if you cook with olive oil or tomatoes with any regularity. https://sciencenotes.org/food-glows-black-light/
I see what's immediately wrong with the image (the hanger), but is there anything RIGHT about it? Is that lower mending plate holding 3 pieces of wood? Is that gap on the top of that plate allowed? I can't put my finger on it, but something else seems very wrong with that photo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Crappy Construction Tales: The penis is not a precision instrument.

gently caress that poo poo, I want this:

Crappy Construction tales: permanent piss towels nailed to the floor.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Seconded. Can we get someone to carry the motion?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress that poo poo, I want this:

Thirded.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

null_pointer posted:

Seconded. Can we get someone to carry the motion?

I'm nominating myself chair, and now carry this motion to the floor for debate.

(Robert rules....please observe the proprieties)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Motronic posted:

I'm nominating myself chair, and now carry this motion to the floor for debate.
A motion on the floor is another argument for linoleum.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The representative from Arizona is seconding the motion for linoleum.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Carpets in wet locations are disgusting. Especially in bathrooms it’s unlikely you’re able to vacuum around the toilet and there’s drops of pee getting everywhere. Toilets are likely to clog and that leads to more poo poo getting into the fibers. Water is the enemy, never give it a chance. Carpet is dirty, and water carries dirt in further.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

The representative from Arizona is seconding the motion for linoleum.

The motion has been brought to the chairperson, Soundmonkey, for consideration.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Leviathan Song posted:

That's especially true when paired with that shower design that is going to leak like crazy.

Also kids. There's no way a carpeted bathroom works in a home with any kids in it.

We had carpeted bathrooms in most of the houses I lived in growing up and it was perfectly fine. Maybe train your children not to smear their poo poo on the floors, or whatever it is you think is going to happen.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The carpeted bathroom defender has logged on

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Lukewarm take: Carpet is inherently gross(which anyone who's ever had to remove old carpet already knows). Do all hardwood & tile flooring and use area rugs where you want to walk on something soft.

That goes double in the bathroom, where being able to quickly and easily get surfaces clean is a priority. That goes triple if you have pets and don't want a fur/hairball collector where you're trying to get clean.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Sorry, folks, but... DIY › Crappy Construction Tales: The carpeted bathroom defender has logged on

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I only put carpet around my hot tub. In my unfinished basement.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

GreenNight posted:

Did you build the hot tub in your basement or did it start out recessed into your second floor?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

Did you build the hot tub in your basement or did it start out recessed into your second floor?

It used to be a finished basement but the mold got so bad they decided it was easier to just claim it was unfinished.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenNight posted:

Does it have a pool table light overhead?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/PeterAhlstrom/status/1078834397862739968

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The carpeted bathroom defender has logged on

Not really, I just find the extreme germophobic nature of some of you to be hilariously goony. I’d much rather find and murder whoever it was that put textured slate tiles in our bathroom in this house because those things really do trap dirt and are a pain in the arse to clean.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Less dirt than carpet :psyduck:?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drgitlin posted:

Not really, I just find the extreme germophobic nature of some of you to be hilariously goony. I’d much rather find and murder whoever it was that put textured slate tiles in our bathroom in this house because those things really do trap dirt and are a pain in the arse to clean.

This is like a man wearing a camelhair shirt complaining about feeling the tags in his trousers.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

GiP finds a treasure.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Guys. I think grover moved to Ft Garland, CO.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/194161500_zpid/

Just look. It... It's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Check out picture 32, it really is groverhaus