Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He's a grifter/conman/scammer in the same sense that a homeopath/fortune teller/chiropractor/whatever who doesn't believe their own bullshit but tries to help people anyway.

In any case Mob just doesn't interest me so that's that.

quote:

He doesn't pay Mob a fair salary yeah because it's more for him, but also because Mob's an eighth grader and doesn't really need to make fifty bucks in an afternoon

I don't know why, probably cause it's 2018, but this half hearted defense of wage theft is the only funny thing I've read in this derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eej posted:

He's a grifter/conman/scammer in the same sense that a homeopath/fortune teller/chiropractor/whatever who doesn't believe their own bullshit but tries to help people anyway.

I getcha. Reigen can be a fun character, but he very much is a grifter.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
See i told y'all. lotsa wasted effort. Dude never wanted to be convinced in the first place

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My friend, I never said I wanted to be convinced. The initial post suggested that everyone who hasn't seen Mob Psycho, should.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Initial post was correct.

Eej posted:

Also this isn't true because those people generally sell bullshit they know doesn't work, while Reigen legitimately solves the problem of every client that hires him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eej posted:

My friend, I never said I wanted to be convinced. The initial post suggested that everyone who hasn't seen Mob Psycho, should.

I mean judging from his work on Onepunch Man it's probably better if people don't read his other stuff.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I mean judging from his work on Onepunch Man it's probably better if people don't read his other stuff.

I think you're confusing ONE's stuff with your posts.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who really, really likes Mob Psycho 100 and is looking forward to the second season, I'll actually agree with Eej in that I loathed Reigen after the first episode or two. He was, in fact, pretty blatantly screwing Mob over there, and there was and is no real excuse for it.

He's a lot more entertaining and endearing later, to the point that the early characterization feels like it had been written before ONE figured out the character or something and the anime just kept that, and I thought he was great by the end of the first season, but, uh, yeah. Reigen loving sucked early on, and posting a bunch of in-jokes and impenetrable references to things someone who hasn't watched beyond that point won't be familiar with isn't going to convince someone otherwise when the only thing they've seen of Reigen is him having Mob blow up a bunch of ghosts for him then taking all the pay while buying the kid the cheapest lunch he could.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Reigen was fine early on. He may have been taking advantage of Mob early on, but he was hilarious while doing it so he was still really likable. He simply got better as the manga went on.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mob and reigen both help each other grow

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Eej posted:

In any case Mob just doesn't interest me so that's that.

I don't know why, probably cause it's 2018, but this half hearted defense of wage theft is the only funny thing I've read in this derail.

Frankly I'm not sure Reigen can even really afford to pay Mob very much after his office rent and wherever he lives rent

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mob Psycho 100 is probably my favorite manga/anime of the past however many years, and I think Reigen is a fantastic and engaging character. Over the course of the story, he does a tremendous amount of good.

But the good person that Mob sees him as, and the person Reigen actually is (for 40-60% of the story) are very different people. Reigen is a conman, and Reigen does take advantage of Mob. The fact that he's able to help people despite conning them and that he's able to act as a role model to Mob as he does, is a reflection on his clientele's gullibility (plus his skill and showmanship) and on Mob's personal anxieties and need for a dependable adult.

The way Reigen grows (and fails to grow) over the course of the story is a delight, but if you don't want to watch a show that heavy features a grifter, then you probably shouldn't watch Mob Pyscho!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Mob Psycho 100 is probably my favorite manga/anime of the past however many years, and I think Reigen is a fantastic and engaging character. Over the course of the story, he does a tremendous amount of good.

But the good person that Mob sees him as, and the person Reigen actually is (for 40-60% of the story) are very different people. Reigen is a conman, and Reigen does take advantage of Mob. The fact that he's able to help people despite conning them and that he's able to act as a role model to Mob as he does, is a reflection on his clientele's gullibility (plus his skill and showmanship) and on Mob's personal anxieties and need for a dependable adult.

The way Reigen grows (and fails to grow) over the course of the story is a delight, but if you don't want to watch a show that heavy features a grifter, then you probably shouldn't watch Mob Pyscho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikGvLUbOuU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Out of all the Mob Psycho posts over the last 2 pages i'm not sure the one which says Reigen is cool and good but does take advantage of people and isn't a great person is really the most appropriate to reply with that video.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In short Reigen is a character of contrasts.

...And in long he's probably the single best proof of how good ONE is at writing characters, in that Reigen is a constant, walking contradiction: both full of poo poo and hyper-competent, using Mob while at the same time helping him grow into a proper adult, greatly immature yet the single most grown-up character in the manga. Human as it comes - full of contradictions, yet, he never feels fake or inconsistent. All of the criticism towards Reigen, and all of the praise towards him, is true. Isn't it great? I love Reigen, and I love Mob Psycho 100 and I can't loving wait for season 2...because, in a contradiction of my own, I really love ONE's writing but I really don't love his art yet the anime manages to elevate that art to...art.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
wtf is this slander against the main man King I can't believe this nonsense I'm hearing King is a true human bean and a real herooooooo

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeah, King was kind of roped into the whole thing by accident. By the time he built up the courage to maybe confess, it was way too late, and telling everyone the truth now would do far more harm than good. Not just for King's public appearance but for that of the Hero Association. That, and it's not like he's taking advantage of the situation and living some huge life of luxury. He lives in a pretty typical apartment and plays some video games.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

If reigen is a fake, then why does he have a 100% success rate? :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

If reigen is a fake, then why does he have a 100% success rate? :colbert:

There’s no reason a fake can’t do what the real thing would. And it’s possible for a fake to be more real than the real thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaiki boyyyy

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Watch Mob Psycho 100 because if you don't, you'll be missing out on some of the best animation made by Studio Bones and I don't want that kind of blood on my hands.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

Watch Mob Psycho 100 because if you don't, you'll be missing out on some of the best animation made by Studio Bones and I don't want that kind of blood on my hands.

???

https://twitter.com/feriowind/status/784904345116565504

https://twitter.com/feriowind/status/785343414942302208

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gologle posted:

wtf is this slander against the main man King I can't believe this nonsense I'm hearing King is a true human bean and a real herooooooo

Agreed. We've been discussing King and Reigen in kind of the same context, but it's important to state that while one of them is a fraud who's none-the-less able to accomplish great things due to a series of comedic misunderstandings, contrived circumstanced, and their essential good nature, the other is King who is the world's strongest person and also a hero.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 23, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Agreed. We've been discussing King and Reigen in kind of the same context, but it's important to state that while one of them is a fraud who's none-the-less able to accomplish great things due to a series of comedic misunderstandings, contrived circumstanced, and their essential good nature, the other is King who is the world's strongest person and also a hero.

:hmmyes:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Doesn't King flat out say something like "I can't do this" or something a couple times when asked if he can handle a problem by the other class S heroes and Hero Association?

Also Reigan is a conman in the same way commissioner Gordon is; when he needs to fix a problem outside his abilities he calls on the person with the proper skills.Hell Reigan even pays Mob despite charging $10 for counseling or other whatever. He is a legit psychic, clearly, because he always knows what his customer needs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Reigan is like a chiropractor who uses actual physical therapy techniques on their patients. His business practices are dishonest and deceptive to his customers, but what he provides is an actual, legitimate service, not a placebo.

So, it is technically accurate to call him a conman, but doing so is misleading. Much like reigan's business itself.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
People come to Reigan with imagined problems, Reigan pretends to fix them while solving their real problems instead.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Why do you people keep calling Reigen for Reigan?

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Reigan can help people with their mundane problems, but he's been running an exorcism business longer than he's been employing Mob. Presumably, there are some people with actual ghost problems whose money he took without doing anything for them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mordaedil posted:

Why do you people keep calling Reigen for Reigan?
people really got King Lear on the brain

and who can blame them, a great play

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
For all of the earlier criticism about Murata's OPM being played too straight, I couldn't stop thinking about one of the most powerful heroes in the association having his hands full with a guy who got really, really attached to his job as a macabre children's mascot while I was reading that last chapter.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I half suspect/hope that Phoenixman still isn't actually dead, despite the arc (hopefully) moving on next chapter. I mean, his whole thing has been coming back after dying, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point a few panels have him getting up after being blasted into the middle of nowhere or whatever. Though he might have been sent into space, so. Would suck for him then.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The jojo pillar man ending

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phoenix Man will never die so the only solution sans Saitama is to assign Zombieman to fight him for all eternity.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Cars will be rescued someday by aliens from his horrific and unfair imprisonment when his only crime was being too fab.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My extremely hot and sleep deprived take on the Murata manga is that it's Murata's love letter to the genre, which at most makes it parody rather than satire (we could argue that the original webcomic is maybe satire instead of parody but I would disagree as it still celebrates and laughs with the same tropes that it's making fun of, rather than presenting an actual indictment of them).

Even when he was just doing 1:1 webcomic:manga plots Murata would still do insane poo poo like the flipbooks with sonic or the meteor, which I thought were kind of annoying when I was reading ("why does it take me like 20 clicks to get to what would be the next 'panel' in any other manga") but in retrospect it's some of the coolest poo poo I've ever seen. He legitimately loves drawing the gently caress out of things and in his mind the OPM webcomic needs to be the most insanely artistically overdone manga adaptation in the world, which, frankly, is one of the best problems that a manga can have.

This was my mindset during the whole tournament arc. I didn't mind it, because it added more and let us see Murata pouring his heart and soul into all that he thought would make the upcoming arcs better, without breaking away from what makes OPM, well, OPM. The tournament expanded the scope of the plotline showing us yet another take on the whole "what makes a hero?" theme through Suiryu and the other heroes around him. It is because of the tournament that we see, for example, that Snek is no longer a piece of poo poo. Does anybody care about Snek? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's that approach that gave us Common Rider vs Sea King which, to this day, is still probably the single most emotionally impactful moment in the entire story.

Similarily, the monster invasion let us see heroes lesser and greater dealing with monsters everywhere. Garou was everywhere during that arc, and his character development here adds to the rest of his arc to come in the webcomic.

The webcomic is a much tighter story and you could argue it is a different one altogether since the addition of extra story details recontextualizes a bunch of things. I would disagree because I think the themes presented are the same even if some character beats end up being painted in a different light. Yeah, the hero association isn't as over their heads here as they were in the webcomic, because in this version the monster association was clearly established to be a threat through the invasion arc, but it's still the same overall plot with the same themes. All these minor characters with their larger than life struggles are part of a huge cosmic joke where it's a dude with depression that solves their problems and all he can think about is getting back home so he won't miss a sale.

So with all that said... I actually am starting to dislike this raid arc, because while I think the fight is cool as hell and I sympathize with phoenix man's plight more than I probably should for a throwaway minor antagonist, the thing that made most of the S-class fights during this arc thematically appropriate to the story's tone was that they were over very quickly. There were always subversions of expectations during the fights in OPM, with the most common being that the monsters beat the heroes until saitama or an S-class anticlimactically overpowers them with barely any effort. In this version the fights are just being played straight and I think that's a point against the manga.

It is, however, still a rad as gently caress manga that at its best makes every other shonen look like amateur hour.

Namaste.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The raw is out.
https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/10834108156639272198

Oh Phoenixman, if you had the sense to die in the mega anime final beam attack you could've died with dignity. Instead your end is from being tickled and getting the mother of all crotch shots. RIP

Also if I understand it correctly, Phoenixman's revival thing healed the ninja brothers' bodies and gave them limited motor functions and sentience, but CE's electric shock actually revived them for real.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
This comic is very good.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/508351/1

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this 'caped baldy' fellow seems to attract perverts, not a very good fit for our prestigious hero association

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wow that kid is a major rear end in a top hat.