Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
WiiU chat made me realize I do not know a single person IRL who owns a WiiU. I think a lot of that was because everyone had a Wii collecting dust after a couple months and most people I know who had one weren’t hyped for any nintendo home consoles after. Hell, most of the people I know who own Switches got them in the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the goon reaction to the Wii U is a bit overblown. It's a fine system, it has some really good games and even poo poo like N64 and NDS virtual console

that said, I did buy mine second-hand...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

I feel like the goon reaction to the Wii U is a bit overblown. It's a fine system, it has some really good games and even poo poo like N64 and NDS virtual console

that said, I did buy mine second-hand...

I mean, the fact there isa goon reaction is more than I see from most of my friends who play games. Everyone but the nintendo die hards kind of go “the Wii whatnow?” and even the people I know that own most nintendo things didn’t bother buying one. I haven’t seen anyone who hates it but basically no one noticed it existed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, the fact there isa goon reaction is more than I see from most of my friends who play games. Everyone but the nintendo die hards kind of go “the Wii whatnow?” and even the people I know that own most nintendo things didn’t bother buying one. I haven’t seen anyone who hates it but basically no one noticed it existed.
yeah this 100%. No one* hated it, just most people didn't even acknowledge or understand it's existance. almost every goon who had one loved it to some degree, and if they didn't have one they didn't give a poo poo or even know or care about it's existence.

That said it was still kinda flawed. I even kinda liked the Gamepad and used it a few times in bed either playing games or watching over plex as a lovely tablet when i didnt want to light up the whole room, but the whole shebang was rather clunky with the otherwise awkward pad with a resolution that makes back-of-airplane-seat-tvs look good and an annoying mess with it's weird mii and game menus that got stuck swapping between on the tv-gamepad all the time which was annoying as hell. And marketing and everything surrounding it didn't help at all. Otherwise the pro controller and selection of games was good with very good games (at least for the first few years of it's life, seemed nothing much came out except BoTW after that).

It's just a loving crime that you still cant use those VC titles on Switch since it's already tied into your account and having them run on switch should have been no problem at all and would have immediately made Switchs library look huge as hell for new buyers. And it shoulda been real easy and a nice gesture to to have eshop discounts if you had purchased X Game on the WiiU eShop tied to that account.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 29, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The stores around here had to put up signs explaining that the Wii U was a console because so many of the Wii U games they sold would get returned when people tried to play them on their Wii and it "didn't work". The people who were at least aware of Wii U existing thought it was just a big Wii controller with a screen in it.

Hell, I couldn't even tell you what a Wii U looks like without looking it up because none of the advertising showed the console and I've never seen one in person.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

Nah, it has some really awful "game" inbetween all the clicky bits.

So it's Banner Saga

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the wii u was really just a prototype of the switch, which improved on it in nearly every aspect - but especially the marketing. from the getgo it was clear what the switch did and how it did it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I probably paid for my WiiU in being able to buy the same games for £35 instead of £45 like they are on Switch now

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

from pikmin 3 to breath of the wild, the wii u was very win, even if its a goofy thing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There were some good games on the Wii U but I kind of hated using it because there was no rest mode

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

alf_pogs posted:

the wii u console was super weird but the nintendo games on it were some serious excellence. i am happy they're comin to a wider audience. sm3Dw is a top 5 mario game, i am surprised it hasnt been listed for port yet

also Devils Third on switch when

For sure, I bought one for 3D World, easily my fav Mario game since 64. Now Odyssey is right up there too. And with Breath of the Wild, best Mario and Zelda offerings in about twenty years for me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

the wii u was really just a prototype of the switch, which improved on it in nearly every aspect - but especially the marketing. from the getgo it was clear what the switch did and how it did it
for real, I bought the Wii U because I really liked the idea of the off-TV play and that's how I spent like 90% of my time using the system. I always wished that it was better, since the image was kinda blurry and weird and it suffered dropped frames/loss of connection even when right next to the console but it still blew my mind to play console games in bed on a "handheld"

imagine my reaction to the Switch announcement

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Andrast posted:

There were some good games on the Wii U but I kind of hated using it because there was no rest mode

it gets overlooked a bit but really the Switch's perfect OS is a huge contributor to why the console rocks

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The stores around here had to put up signs explaining that the Wii U was a console because so many of the Wii U games they sold would get returned when people tried to play them on their Wii and it "didn't work". The people who were at least aware of Wii U existing thought it was just a big Wii controller with a screen in it.

I believe it. Basically, unless they were really into Nintendo, none of my gaming friends knew what the difference between Wii and Wii U was. If they didn’t know, imagine being a parent looking for a Christmas present for your kid or something?

Nintendo really dropped the ball with the name/marketing imo. At least they learned from their mistakes cause now pretty much everyone I know that’s even remotely interested in video games has a Switch.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

alf_pogs posted:

it gets overlooked a bit but really the Switch's perfect OS is a huge contributor to why the console rocks

It won't be perfect until I can change my library view to be either alphabetical or I can make folders so I can meticulously sort them by developer or genre

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Heath posted:

It won't be perfect until I can change my library view to be either alphabetical or I can make folders so I can meticulously sort them by developer or genre
I just want the option to make the gridded view the default. It's already there. It would take them no effort at all.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

less is more. except with bluetooth earphones

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Wii U lost the mainstream market because your average consumer thought it was just an add on to their wii and the wii hype had finally died down and they weren’t interested.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's 2018 and even people who like Smash aren't quite sure what a Wii U is

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cartoon Man posted:

The Wii U lost the mainstream market because your average consumer thought it was just an add on to their wii and the wii hype had finally died down and they weren’t interested.

It lost coming and going, because it was reputedly a bitch to develop for as well so hardly anyone wanted to make games for it when they could release multiplatform titles on the X360, PS3 and PC.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
They really should've just required Wii U games to work without the controller so people could play them on their Wii.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
The Wiiu is a mario maker machine.

I didn't like the oversized controller that was the wiiu tablet, but the monkey's paw counted down and now the switch controllers are too small to hold.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I liked the WiiU because it let me play nintendo games in bed. I also liked my PSvita for similar reasons but indie games. When the Switch came out I donated my WiiU to my nephew and threw the vita in the trash where it belongs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of the WiiU actually, I have to say I'm surprised that Fatal Frame/Project Zero: Maiden of Dark Water got as much presence in Smash Bros Ultimate as it did with an Assist Trophy and a Spirit Board gimmick fight.

It is about as far from a kid-friendly game as you can get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Wii U was just really awkward all around. The Switch is probably the clean break they needed, though they certainly threw a few babies out with the bathwater.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gripweed posted:

They really should've just required Wii U games to work without the controller so people could play them on their Wii.

is this a joke

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DoctorWhat posted:

is this a joke

They should require that PS4 games have a low graphic mode so they work on PS3.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

DoctorWhat posted:

is this a joke

Everybody says that there were several really good Wii U games, Nintendo could've had a Wii renaissance if they hadn't gated them all behind a 300 dollar Wii U tablet.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
drat, where's the lie

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ah,

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gripweed posted:

Everybody says that there were several really good Wii U games, Nintendo could've had a Wii renaissance if they hadn't gated them all behind a 300 dollar Wii U tablet.

It's also way more powerful than the Wii and had an extremely slow OS. If I picked it up to take a poo poo I'd be done ahitting before I was in game.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I wish they could have kept some level of backwards compatibility for games. Like if the switch could stream wirelessly to the dock to pull off the wiiu tablet effect, then have a disk drive accessory. Also there should be rainbows every morning and there should be peace in the middle east.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Lobster posted:

there would be no denying the Switch as the best console of all time imo. And that's up against like Dreamcast and PS2 and hell, even PS4.

:chloe:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's true. None of the other consoles listed are portable and are therefore worthless.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Nintendo naming their new console the "Wii U" was such a dumb idea. I know hindsight is 20/20 but how many people had to look at that name and say "okay" for it to happen

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

once Switch gets House of the Dead 2 and Power Stone 2 I'll never need to use the Dreamcast again

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish Celeste was $10 so I could afford it alongside Iconoclasts + Dead Cells.

Too many games, not enough money

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Gris is pretty cool. It’s been a good year for video games starring depressed women

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Pakled posted:

Nintendo naming their new console the "Wii U" was such a dumb idea. I know hindsight is 20/20 but how many people had to look at that name and say "okay" for it to happen

probably, like, two dudes total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love the switch but outside of ports and Zelda and odyssey there really isn’t anything amazing / new on the system yet. But that might be a Nintendo problem and not a switch problem since Nintendo doesn’t really make new ips and new games anymore that aren’t on 3ds