Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

The one consolation to that has been all the grave dancing “Paul Ryan Ends His Once Promising* Career In Failure and Disgrace” pieces that have been published lately pissing in his legacy’s mouth as it takes its last gasping breaths. Those have been pretty sweet.

I get almost hard thinking about how serendipitous it was that he went from Failed VP bid > Cantor failing hilariously screwing everyone's plans > Boner peacing out and saddling him with speaker > Bye Shitbird.

It's hurt us dearly in the process but I take warm solace in him realizing that once Eric Cantor got kicked the gently caress out and he would become Speaker his aspirations to the Presidency were dead and loving gone. Eat it, wonderboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

The cruelty is the point.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Strange Poon posted:

Hitler was in part inspired by Reservations when creating concentration camps.

I read this as "Hillary" at first, which proves to me I've been spending way too much time involved in Democratic Party politics lately.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

DynamicSloth posted:

To themselves really. Russian chokolate is mostly dirt and boot polish.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DandyLion posted:

To themselves really. Russian chokolate is mostly dirt and boot polish.

Pretty sure most sculpture chocolate is barely edible in any case.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

ascii genitals posted:

Mod edit: nope

This might be the most deeply upsetting thing I've seen in this thread.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 29, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

How are u posted:

Do you have any articles on this? I'd love to learn that regulation is having an effect.

There's relatively few articles making a direct connection because there are confounding issues like overbuilding (which kinda would be less of a problem if the money laundering demand was there) and foreign countries implementing more strict currency controls (to curb money laundering) but the fact is that the regulation went into effect and cash/llc purchases in covered markets completely evaporated:

Of those that still went through around 1/4 of them were tied to possible money laundering, leading FINCEN to drastically expand to program earlier this year.

And now NYC luxury real estate is in a full correction.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

DynamicSloth posted:

I dare say this goes a step further than normal cruelty. Russian state media openly, gleefully telling the world they will perish by Novichok poisoning seems pretty brazen by modern standards.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Alkydere posted:

I looked it up and I didn't quite understand the explanation. Is it basically when your body goes "Oh god I don't know how to fight this!" and instead of slowly ramping up goes full M.A.D. in a desperate attempt to cull the infection?

This isn't quite right. Instead of not knowing how to fight something, instead something triggers a sort of "all hands on deck, white blood cells get down here pronto, nukes in the air red alert" reaction. There is some research showing people who died from SARS essentially died from a similar thing. Essentially your immune system gets its wires crossed and IDs something as needing to be taken care that doesn't (transplant rejections are another case of this).

The reason it hurts the healthy more is because their immune system reacts faster and more strongly. So more white blood cells show up faster and it's "oh god they're everywhere, start shooting". That is why you see transplant recipients get immuno-suppresent drugs, to tune down their systems to not only make it less likely to trigger, but to lessen the severity if it does.

I sort of laughed when I check the grades of severity for cytokine storm, because one of the severity ratings is "death".

ZobarStyl posted:

I dare say this goes a step further than normal cruelty. Russian state media openly, gleefully telling the world they will perish by Novichok poisoning seems pretty brazen by modern standards.

The thing is migrants know they're probably going to get treated like poo poo, and they had to travel like 2600 KM through the tropics and a lot of not nice areas on foot. You'd think people who expect this to deter migrants to stop and think about how bad their situation was for them to pack up and walk from Denver, CO to Washington, DC.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Respectable Lawyer > Popehat

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

He's back!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079040052234203141

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
THE WITCH HUNT HOAX!!!

Curiously silent about the Beautiful (Very Strong...Works Great!) Steel Slat Barrier..

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Try and work out what he thinks capital letters are for

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Just your daily reminder that T_D made something up and now the president is insisting it's true.

brae
Feb 2, 2006

Gort posted:

I presume he doesn’t and it’s just his phone’s autocorrect. I don’t see him taking the extra half second to press an extra button to capitalize a letter, and he clearly gives zero fucks about grammar and spelling generally.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

A writer for the Federalist died suddenly of H1N1 and meningitis, despite lots of prayer :confused:

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1079028026128650241

gently caress this blatant Starve the Beast poo poo. Of course ARE TOOPS are exempt.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Gort posted:

I've messed with my android on-screen keyboard to see if I can get it do random capitals and I simply can't. Maybe he is so good at government that he thinks in acronyms and is expanding them for us plebes.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079042460800696320

Oh no, poor Donny, he's being Harassed :ohdear:

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I know this will be a really big surprise we never saw coming, but the corporate plutocracy in which absolutely no consequences are paid for breaking the law is still in full swing:

https://twitter.com/BostonJerry/status/1078739985770209280

Multiple people should be heading to prison for the fake accounts fraud alone, but in this country you can break the law so long as you pay off law enforcement with a heft enough bribe when you're done.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 29, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RuanGacho posted:

Just your daily reminder that T_D made something up and now the president is insisting it's true.

Yeah, I was going to say, "Weren't these already turned over as part of a subpoena? Did they not keep any back ups?" So this must be something like they wiped the phones as part of procedure now that they have the permanent records and an idiot is freaking out about it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ballz posted:

Respectable Lawyer > Popehat

Respectable Lawyer brings all of the lawsplaining while also being pretty woke and not a grouchy old fucker who's completely unapproachable.

Southpaw is also good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Finding out that both Whispering Horse and Pope Hat are douchebags has been disappointing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

:qq: LEAVE ME ALONE :qq:

There are no deals to be had, Donny, because you have no leverage.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

umbrage posted:

gently caress this blatant Starve the Beast poo poo. Of course ARE TOOPS are exempt.

quote:

Trump told lawmakers he planned to scrap the 2019 pay bump for federal workers in August, saying the federal budget couldn't support it. In addition to the 2.1% pay increase, the executive order also cancels a yearly adjustment of paychecks based on the region of the country where workers are posted, called the "locality pay increase," that was due to take effect in January.

This is why people keep going back to the private sector, because voters keep electing people who will run the government "like a business". Which is to say with no consideration to 3 months from now.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 29, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ZypherIM posted:

This isn't quite right. Instead of not knowing how to fight something, instead something triggers a sort of "all hands on deck, white blood cells get down here pronto, nukes in the air red alert" reaction. There is some research showing people who died from SARS essentially died from a similar thing. Essentially your immune system gets its wires crossed and IDs something as needing to be taken care that doesn't (transplant rejections are another case of this).

The reason it hurts the healthy more is because their immune system reacts faster and more strongly. So more white blood cells show up faster and it's "oh god they're everywhere, start shooting". That is why you see transplant recipients get immuno-suppresent drugs, to tune down their systems to not only make it less likely to trigger, but to lessen the severity if it does.

I sort of laughed when I check the grades of severity for cytokine storm, because one of the severity ratings is "death".

For those wondering why our immune systems are more than capable of killing us remember that it is only recently that large numbers of people would have full strength immune systems. Parasitic infections in particular suppress immune function and they are drat near universal in nature.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Finding out that both Whispering Horse and Pope Hat are douchebags has been disappointing.

Strong recommendation for this video:

https://youtu.be/x3vD_CAYt4g

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump talking about crimes :lol:

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 29, 2018

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Those people always sucked.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gort posted:

"Mueller Angry Democrats" at least spells out M.A.D. Take that as you will.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

buddy i wish the dems were stopping our military.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

umbrage posted:

Well I guess he realized everyone hates him, so there's nothing left to lose

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I doubt most of the foot soldiers really "understand" it as such, and then purposefully exploit it. Baby boomers posting poo poo to their Facebook at the end of a long day watching Fox News and getting their hate on, do not know what the paradox of tolerance is and wouldn't give a poo poo if you tried to explain it to them. It's more like they've normalized and internalized the idea of argument as a strategy, as opposed to a meeting of minds, so of course they're going to just say whatever happens to suit their purposes in that moment.

I agree that they probably don’t consciously understand it, but I think they’ve absorbed the basic concept through right-wing media osmosis. The greatest rhetorical advantage the right has is that they don’t care about being internally consistent or hypocrites. They’re perfectly willing to throw a fit about the tolerant left - the proliferation of this talking point is why I think what I think btw - and free speech but they don’t actually care about those things except insofar as it applies to them. I’m sure some on the right actually understand the paradox of tolerance and exploit it, and that understanding trickles down (lol) through right- wing spheres via articles, memes, discussions, whatever Fox News is on about this evening, etc.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

"From what I hear"? The gently caress does that mean?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree, the Democrats should be spending much more time on stopping our military.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would be great if the democrats were actually brave enough to stop our military.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

InsertPotPun posted:

"From what I hear"? The gently caress does that mean?

Fox was talking about it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Popehat is as good as he was a week ago. Representing Randazza is not even remotely as bad as letting Randazza promote himself on the blog, and he does both because he's a huge free speech advocate and Randazza pretends to be / used to be.

I still like Popehat.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

umbrage posted:

I'm not surprised but still disappointed. Hopefully the backpay or CR bills get amended the planned increase tacked on.

Especially since if we do go into a recession we can expect pay to be frozen for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Man, it's like he wants the people of DC to storm the White House. Seriously, this and the shutdown are gonna do a number on the city's economy.