Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
out of my price range right now but thanks anyway

EDIT: also this is my first top post! :dukedoge:

Mindisgone fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi
Website currently down, upgrading security on web host / adding SSL cert. Had to shuffle a bunch of stuff and flag the stardust domain as primary on my lovely godaddy hosting account in order to enable SSL on it. huzzah.

There is interim installation / registration instructions posted in the Stardust Discord Announcements tab.

https://discord.gg/wWB57eC

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
Hopefully there will be more activity on the forums after it comes back up. I posted about the crafters guild I want to start. Anyone interested in getting it started can throw me a DM here, in game, or the stardust forum which is most preferable.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Mindisgone posted:

Hopefully there will be more activity on the forums after it comes back up. I posted about the crafters guild I want to start. Anyone interested in getting it started can throw me a DM here, in game, or the stardust forum which is most preferable.

Maybe, I think though to most people Discord has made forums obsolete because in there you get instant feedback as opposed to post / wait.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
I guess I'm being old fashion. :classiclol:

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Mindisgone posted:

I guess I'm being old fashion. :classiclol:

Nah, we are just of a breed that loves our dead forums.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

Levarris posted:

Nah, we are just of a breed that loves our dead forums.

Im going to continue to resurrect this thread to the top of the dead forum we love so much.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

any cheap pc builds so i can run this

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

magiccarpet posted:

any cheap pc builds so i can run this

I ran this game when it came out on a 200mhz mmx chip. Whatever you have cobbled together will run it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my 08 macbook with a intel "gpu" wont run it, so something just a level above that

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

yeah i just have a mac laptop but i suppose i can gently caress it up with parallels or whatever people use now

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

magiccarpet posted:

yeah i just have a mac laptop but i suppose i can gently caress it up with parallels or whatever people use now

You could boot camp it, or you could use Wine or Crossover or whatever mac equivalent there is to run the actual SWG client. The launcher will only work in windows though, i've tried using wine for it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I was trying it through win 7 bootcamp. It gets all the way to the spinwheel load screen and then crashes out so I think the game just needs an actual video card

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
You only need a video card and a pulse. :phoneline:

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

site posted:

Yeah I was trying it through win 7 bootcamp. It gets all the way to the spinwheel load screen and then crashes out so I think the game just needs an actual video card

It should work with even intel integrated lovely video. Depending on the HDD the initial load of the client can take longer than usual due to the modthegalaxy consolidated TRE files. They do increase load times a smidge, but only because they are packed with everything in the NGE data files basically just adapted to a format the Pre-CU client can take.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

I tried playing SWG 2 or 3 times over the years and it just never clicked, until I tried Stardust and now it's back to crack UO days for me. That's my Stardust testimonial thank you for reading.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Strotski posted:

I tried playing SWG 2 or 3 times over the years and it just never clicked, until I tried Stardust and now it's back to crack UO days for me. That's my Stardust testimonial thank you for reading.

Glad to hear it!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

If any lurkers need a push, I've been able to get everything running at 60fps on a 2015 Macbook Pro Retina by bootcamping Windows 10 via a 7200 RPM Lacie USB rugged drive. I followed this guide https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/31/how-windows-10-mac-boot-camp-external-drive-video/

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I did another thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC3IXt1ZwOA

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Double exp is still active right? There's a lot of stuff I never got around to doing on my MR/MM/MCM on Basilisk but quit out of frustration after being scammed out of my dope veterans rewards

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Frog Act posted:

Double exp is still active right? There's a lot of stuff I never got around to doing on my MR/MM/MCM on Basilisk but quit out of frustration after being scammed out of my dope veterans rewards

Yeah XP rates are increased, indefinitely.

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Gonna install Stardust and give it a go. I'm interested to see how combat plays out without HAM being a factor anymore, and how each profession feels now that pool targeting isn't a thing to worry about. Obviously riflemen and Swordsmen won't have that distinct edge anymore.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

Gonna install Stardust and give it a go. I'm interested to see how combat plays out without HAM being a factor anymore, and how each profession feels now that pool targeting isn't a thing to worry about. Obviously riflemen and Swordsmen won't have that distinct edge anymore.

Basically yeah, It's nice to play pretty much anything and not suck by default.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This video is making me want to play Star Wars Galaxies again. I haven’t played since the game shut down on the Sony Online Entertainment servers. The Old Republic doesn’t have the immersion that Galaxies had and I really miss that.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

I said come in! posted:

This video is making me want to play Star Wars Galaxies again. I haven’t played since the game shut down on the Sony Online Entertainment servers. The Old Republic doesn’t have the immersion that Galaxies had and I really miss that.

Do it.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

I said come in! posted:

I also had not played since it was live. Been on Stardust for a few weeks now and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Get on!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Downloading game client now, lets do this. :homebrew:

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

I'm mostly a huge fan of pre-cu as that was my first MMO.

But if I'm honest I didn't really hate the CU or dunking on people as a spy in the NGE so your hybrid system is looking really cool.

Would being able to use the vanilla SWGEMU and this require to SWG installs to work?

I think the hardest part will be not immediately going for Master Doc TKM, but with your XP boost trying new things doesn't seem like it would be so bad.

BromanderData fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 8, 2019

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

BromanderData posted:

Would being able to use the vanilla SWGEMU and this require to SWG installs to work?

If you already have vanilla SWGEmu, just point the installer to that folder, the installer will take what it needs and put it within a subfolder so as not to interfere with your existing client folder. Then just extract the modthegalaxy TRE files to that subfolder and it should work.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

Levarris posted:

If you already have vanilla SWGEmu, just point the installer to that folder, the installer will take what it needs and put it within a subfolder so as not to interfere with your existing client folder. Then just extract the modthegalaxy TRE files to that subfolder and it should work.

Awesome, I’m looking forward to giving this a try this afternoon.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
The server is really starting to grow. Averaging between 100-120 concurrent at peak daily now.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Game ruined every other mmo for me, I hate it for that. :argh:
Someone please write me a good post that I can pass to my friends to convince them to play this, they're all modern mmo babs that need direction and say things like "but what is there to do?" and "where's the game?"

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Strotski posted:

Game ruined every other mmo for me, I hate it for that. :argh:
Someone please write me a good post that I can pass to my friends to convince them to play this, they're all modern mmo babs that need direction and say things like "but what is there to do?" and "where's the game?"

SWG isn't a game for "modern mmo babs" though. It isn't a hand holding theme park experience, people looking for that and expecting to be hand held will never do well in an environment where they have to exist free-form.

Take Fallout 76. People were expecting a fallout game. Not a sandbox game with a fallout skin. ( disclaimer: i never played fallout 76 )

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Levarris posted:

Take Fallout 76. People were expecting a fallout game. Not a sandbox game with a fallout skin.

That can't be the problem. That's what Fallout 3 and 4 were and the same people loved those.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Defiance Industries posted:

That can't be the problem. That's what Fallout 3 and 4 were and the same people loved those.

Yeah but they had a well defined story and path to follow. SWG dumps you in, gives you a blaster and lets you go pretty much. That's the general point I am making. "Modern MMO Babs" are simply too used to being spoon fed and not having to figure out how to live in virtual space.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

You can always go grind for just a little bit and then do the theme park on Tatooine if you want a more conventional experience

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

I mean I think it can also be said that its a bit devoid of interesting content. The themeparks suck. The ability to mix professions was fun and interesting and the skill system too but grinding sucked. And then once you finished grinding there wasn't a whole lot to do that was truly fun. At least in my opinion. The fact that there's still a large amount of people who played back in the games release that still devote hundreds of hours to it must mean i'm at least partially wrong.

As much as I come back to SWG i think its really more for nostalgia than anything else. I'll grind a profession to master and then get bored.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

I mean I think it can also be said that its a bit devoid of interesting content. The themeparks suck. The ability to mix professions was fun and interesting and the skill system too but grinding sucked. And then once you finished grinding there wasn't a whole lot to do that was truly fun. At least in my opinion. The fact that there's still a large amount of people who played back in the games release that still devote hundreds of hours to it must mean i'm at least partially wrong.

As much as I come back to SWG i think its really more for nostalgia than anything else. I'll grind a profession to master and then get bored.

Back when I played the original I tended to play for a while and then take a break from boredom - what kept me coming back was the community. It really was a special thing that SWG had cultivated with player cities and working commodities into the culture. There were some flaws with those parts, but people were definitely on the forums asking the developers to look at cleaning up buggy or redundant profession parts and general game-play issues. Unfortunately, they heard "copy World of Warcraft" and the rest is history.

It really is amazing how nobody else has really tried the player housing thing to the degree that SWG did, but I guess the genre is mostly dead now anyways. Until someone can get people that like crafting and people that like combat together again while pulling in Fortnite money, I doubt we'll see that kind of community again.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
SWG wasn’t especially massive. It wouldn’t require crazy amounts of investment, most likely; but almost no one wants to take a risk on an mmo, much less one that’s based on what’s essentially a pretty niche mmo.

The primary goal of the game really just feels like trying out all the professions you think are cool until you find the thing you want to bring to the table on the server and doing that. It was about the community and economy. I had fun because the biggest tailor and bio engineer on the server both befriended me as a TK/Ranger who would just go wholesale murder things for them. I had all the credits I could ever want in my account from missions to the point that they just put me as admin on their storage houses and I’d just dump whatever I hunted in there for them. So I essentially had infinite credit with them as well. I finally had to set up my own storage house because I kept overfilling theirs and it messed with their crafting routines.

But it was mostly about grinding and shooting the poo poo with people, for me. There were challenging things out there and I killed/helped kill basically every difficult fight I could find. Farming got us some cool stuff like mind burn pistols. Pvp was pretty fun even if it kind of devolved into something less fun as the game progressed. Base destruction seemed like a cool thing but my little group didn’t even work toward that until the tail end of our interest of the game (basically right up to the CU).

The only problem with doing this on a small server is that it’s just really easy to have things stagnate on you, since most of the staying factor has to do with the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Yeah it was entirely dependent on the community. And while thats not a bad thing, it quickly became gamey and boring when a minority of elite players monopolize the armorsmithing and weaponsmithing industries, jedi, PvP, etc... Up until Basilisk we never really got to imagine what late-stage Pre-CU would have been like.

The most fun i've ever had in SWG Pre-CU was when Bas was first released. Everybody was so much more willing to interact with each other because they had to. The economy was fresh. Starter cities on every planet were populated. Masters were rare, so you settled for decent weapons crafted by homeless artisans. Smugglers were in high demand to make those weapons better/faster When suncrusher drops i'll probably play for a few months, maybe even a year and then get bored again.