Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is so utterly ridiculous and I both love and hate it

I think it works

Ninjaedit: Update on the last page, everyone reading this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, okay. If anyone managed to get 70 hours into the game then Joker getting into Smash Ultimate doesn't seem like nearly as wild a pick as I thought it was at first.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Good thing we got those Confidants is my guess as to where this is going.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maaku, I don't feel so good...

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I was wondering how they would find a way to require the "World" arcana, and that's a really good way.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013
This is the one time Ryuji could save everyone by yelling "We're the Phantom Thieves!" and he does nothing.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Alex0080 posted:

This is the one time Ryuji could save everyone by yelling "We're the Phantom Thieves!" and he does nothing.

It wouldn't have worked because people don't believe the phantom thieves exist. And people don't believe the phantom thieves exist because <footage missing>.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
IA! IA! HOLY GRAIL FAHTAGHN!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This escalated quickly

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

This escalated quickly
Welcome to Persona, enjoy your stay.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Goddammit, Thanos! :argh:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Welcome to Persona, enjoy your stay.

Im just saying relative to the other personas this still escalated really fast

all nyx did was descend and cause a crazy moon thing to happen and that was with a solid month or two of lead up
fog dude flooded the town with fog and then just took us to a scenic fight above the clouds
izanami just waited patiently for us after the whole fog business blew over

Meanwhile 2 hours after worrying about being arrested & maybe undoing voter apathy

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Arist posted:

You may notice I tried something a little different here with that last scene. If you watch the video, the in-game version is really quick and rapid-fire, and I wanted to give it a little more punch and emphasis. Probably won't gently caress around like that too much, just thought it might be interesting.

It was good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Goddammit, Thanos! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFve94hl0QM

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Arist, you seem to be wondering why they go to school the day before Christmas, but the simple and boring answer is "why wouldn't they?" Christmas isn't a national holiday (Japan isn't a Christian nation, after all), and their school calendar doesn't give them a winter break on it. So Christmas, and therefore Christmas Eve, are just ordinary days. No one takes the day off, and nothing closes.

I mean, they know what Christmas is, and put up decorations and whatnot, but it's more like Halloween: just a day to have some fun on. But you still go to work first.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And Christmas Eve is basically treated as a romantic holiday there. You might as well ask why Americans still go to work/school on Valentine's Day.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm pretty sure I remember Hitler being up to some stuff that escalated quickly in Persona 2 but I don't remember a ton about that game, besides Hitler.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I like how everything was relatively normal and then we walked directly into SMT: Strange Journey.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kith posted:

I like how everything was relatively normal and then we walked directly into SMT: Strange Journey.

lucifer, in the sea of our soul: yes this is perfect, LOVE what is going on here

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though only a handful of people in the city even realize it's weird.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I look forward to Tora taking over as the protagonist in the next update.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Funky Valentine posted:

Mr Hamiru, I don't feel so good...

Cmon son.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Qrr posted:

It wouldn't have worked because people don't believe the phantom thieves exist. And people don't believe the phantom thieves exist because <footage missing>.

because the phantom thieves attempted to stab the personification of the collective desires of humanity in front of the subconscious minds of everyone, who responded by forcefully rejecting them, which when the world combined with Mementos, meant literally disbelieving them out of existence because this poo poo works on M:tA consensus reality rules now.

It's a slight conflation of the two meanings of "believing in" someone.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
the whole "why the hell is the world combining with mementos, what the gently caress" is the missing link that the game may or many not explain

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Night10194 posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember Hitler being up to some stuff that escalated quickly in Persona 2 but I don't remember a ton about that game, besides Hitler.

rannum posted:

Im just saying relative to the other personas this still escalated really fast

all nyx did was descend and cause a crazy moon thing to happen and that was with a solid month or two of lead up
fog dude flooded the town with fog and then just took us to a scenic fight above the clouds
izanami just waited patiently for us after the whole fog business blew over

Meanwhile 2 hours after worrying about being arrested & maybe undoing voter apathy

Innocent Sin is still the king of poo poo escalating really fast. The bad guys' plan was to spread rumors of a world-ending prophecy in a city where rumors became reality. So Hitler and his secret army came out of hiding, weird temples appeared out of nowhere, the city was built on top an alien spaceship thanks to rumors and started floating up in the sky, and the cultists you've been fighting earlier in the game are now fighting the Nazis for control of the ship and the entire city's in chaos.

Meanwhile, the lovely teacher you fought as the first boss came back to life as a reformed super teacher thanks to a rumor the party accidentally started and is defending the school, the protagonists from Persona 1 have all come out of retirement to help secure safe places in the city while telling the party to stop whatever's happening.

And then the main villain still manages to get the final part in the prophecy about the Spear of Destiny to happen, so the Earth's rotation suddenly stops and, other than the city floating in the sky, the inertia wipes out everything else in the planet. The protagonists completely lost in Innocent Sin, and Eternal Punishment is kind of a do-over to prevent that from happening.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

amigolupus posted:

...the Earth's rotation suddenly stops and, other than the city floating in the sky, the inertia wipes out everything else in the planet. The protagonists completely lost in Innocent Sin...
drat and I thought the Kefka Apocalypse in Final Fantasy IV was harsh.

How many games are there where, win or lose, the apocolypse goes off more or less as the big bad planned? A twist on the idea happens in Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2, where the heroes get to remake the world in ways that suck less for everyone involved after they win.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 29, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Star Ocean 2 and Final Fantasy 8, off the top of my head.

e: though I guess the apocalypse that went off in SO2 wasn't the one the baddies were necessarily planning

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sudonim posted:

How many games are there where, win or lose, the apocolypse goes off more or less as the big bad planned? A twist on the idea happens in Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2, where the heroes get to remake the world in ways that suck less for everyone involved after they win.

Dragon Quest 11

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sudonim posted:

This happens in what, the first ten minutes of Nocturne? Other elements don't go as planned (possibly) but the planned Apocalypse happens so quickly it isn't even a spoiler, because the big riot everyone is yelling about having happened the night before was the last chance to stop it and already failed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Does Final Fantasy XIII-3 count? Also Bravely Second.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

amigolupus posted:

And then the main villain still manages to get the final part in the prophecy about the Spear of Destiny to happen, so the Earth's rotation suddenly stops and, other than the city floating in the sky, the inertia wipes out everything else in the planet. The protagonists completely lost in Innocent Sin, and Eternal Punishment is kind of a do-over to prevent that from happening.

Also there is Nyarthlotep.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Clarste posted:

Arist, you seem to be wondering why they go to school the day before Christmas, but the simple and boring answer is "why wouldn't they?" Christmas isn't a national holiday (Japan isn't a Christian nation, after all), and their school calendar doesn't give them a winter break on it. So Christmas, and therefore Christmas Eve, are just ordinary days. No one takes the day off, and nothing closes.

I mean, they know what Christmas is, and put up decorations and whatnot, but it's more like Halloween: just a day to have some fun on. But you still go to work first.

It was more along the lines of, "what are they even doing in class, Kawakami already said she was teaching her last class of the year"

mecharick
Nov 4, 2009
Mishima hosed it up by changing the question on the site to 'Do the Phantom Thieves exist?'

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

mecharick posted:

Mishima hosed it up by changing the question on the site to 'Do the Phantom Thieves exist?'

It's comforting to know that he was a fuckup until the very end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

rannum posted:

I dunno what you're getting all worked up about, the air has been full of dead dinosaurs it's mostly algae FULL OF DEAD DINOSAURS for years.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 185: 12/24: Velvet Enigma

Music: Aria of the Soul

And so we wake up in the Velvet Room once more, under far more dire circumstances than usual.

It appears I have underestimated you…

I think you mean “overestimated,” dude. And I did my fuckin’ best, okay!? What are you supposed to do when you get erased from existence, as if by the Mad Titan himself?

Igor, buddy, this is kind of a trying time for me. Could you maybe try not to rub it in, or at least give me a direct answer to one of my questions for once? Where the hell are my friends?

You incompetent prisoner!
The assistance that we provided was all for naught.

Man, everyone’s getting in on the Maaku dunkfest today. I just died. Gimme a break.

The world will soon see its ruin…

You have lost the game. You were meant to bring change to mankind as a Trickster, but it seems that was too much for you. In accordance to the game’s rules, the defeated must pay a price.

Uhhh, what the hell?

Music: Desire

Executed…?

My experiment has come to naught… Everything is over.

What the gently caress are you talking about!?

Grant that man a swift death.

I-It just means that you weren’t an upstanding prisoner…!
That… may be true, but…
What is the matter? Carry out his sentence at once.
(to Caroline) Are we really going to kill him…?
Don’t falter now! It’s all his fault for losing the game!

Man, I thought we were cool! This is bogus!

All right, Inmate. We now proceed to the execution of your sentence.

They’re going to kill me at this rate. I need to do something…

Music: Awakening

Ready, Justine?
If our master orders so… then it cannot be helped…

...Understood.

Man, it’s just one thing after another today.

”Boss": Caroline and Justine

Music: Will Power

Look at Igor just standing in the back there, chilling.

Okay, so for this fight we’re going to want to--

Uhhh, what?

Well, this is a bad scene all around.

We can’t take too much more of this!

I told you not to falter! Are you going against our master’s orders!?
Ngh…

RIP Maaku… wait, what?

Hmm, it seems like some power is keeping Maaku on his feet…

Our duty isn’t to kill him! Caroline!
What gives…? Why am I doubting myself? Is there… another duty left to us…!?

Music: Regret

We are wardens—those who rehabilitate prisoners.
What…?
Something speaks to me in my mind. Our true duty is not to kill…

I can hear someone’s voice…

I feel like I’ve heard it somewhere before…

What should you do…? Our desire is for you to complete your true rehabilitation…

Caroline and Justine look at each other and nod.

We are not executioners. That is the truth we had forgotten.
We’ve decided… We will not forsake humanity!

The butterfly reappears, then vanishes in a flash of light.

Caroline and Justine clutch their heads and collapse.

It’s as if they’re the same… yet mirrored…

A figure appears before the duo…

The two nod again.

What!?

What the hell is up with Igor?

So we were captives, same as you… Heh… To think we’d learn that truth from a prisoner.
Let us reclaim our true form…!

You must fuse us together, with your own hands.

Gross.

It’s time you returned the favor for us assisting with your growth. Do it with care!

Fusion

Wait, what!? Ah, poo poo, it didn’t even occur to me we’d be using the guillotine! I don’t know if I can handle watching these children get decapitated, you guys, there’s a reason I didn’t see that Toni Collette movie.

So, Igor? You gonna do anything to stop this? No? OK.

Aaaaaaaaaaagh

Goodbye, Caroline and Justine. Hello… whoever the hell this is.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 4, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Igor is fed up with all the incompetent idiots who end up as the Velvet Room's guests.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
It's a Fusion Accident, clearly.

Time to break out Caroline's chainsaw, wherever the hell she left it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Introducing: Carjustolininini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is that Philemon? I'm guessing that's Anime Philemon.