Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Terry Grunthouse posted:

Just imagine a Twelve + Graham season...

“No, YOU gently caress off!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Like I've said before, I think that Kill the Moon really needed a couple more drafts of the script but there's something good at its core. (And people wanting it to be some kind of pro-life advocacy piece because they used the appropriate term for ending the countdown to a bomb detonation will never not make me laugh.)

The Zygon two-parter (a) didn't really need to be two parts and (b) suffered from not actually having much of an agenda (beyond "maybe find a way to solve your problems that doesn't involve murdering each other" which is not a bad agenda to have, tbh) which left it open to having a more unfortunate agenda extrapolated. Also I really wish the Doctor had at one point said to Oswin, "Yes, good, I get the point you're trying to make BUT IT WOULD BE REALLY USEFUL IN A TACTICAL SENSE TO KNOW IF YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR SHAPE RIGHT NOW OR NOT"

I liked Pyramid At The End Of The World more than it actually deserved.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Terry Grunthouse posted:

Just imagine a Twelve + Graham season...

Can we throw Wilf in too?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vinylshadow posted:

Can we throw Wilf in too?

Doctor Who: The Curse of the Fatal Lemon Party

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
While we're imagining TARDIS crews, how about Thirteen, Rusty, and Handles? They could team up with the Paternoster gang for an adventure that will confuse Strax like never before. The season arc involves them eventually discovering that the villain they've been working against is a reprogrammed evil version of K-9.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Two, Amy, Rory and Jamie.

Hell, why not Two, Jamie and ANYBODY.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Graham and Nardole would get along like a house on fire. Just sitting in the back, eating sandwiches and making snarky observations. :allears:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
12, Donna and Captain Jack.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Jack would try to come on to someone, and both Donna and 12 would slap him with a cry of "TIME AND PLACE!"

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Jack would try to come on to someone, and both Donna and 12 would slap him with a cry of "TIME AND PLACE!"

Time and relative dimensions in place, please

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

BioEnchanted posted:

Given how she acted when she first saw him, I think Donna would be more likely to try and get Jack to flirt with her instead :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given how she acted when she first saw him, I think Donna would be more likely to try and get Jack to flirt with her instead :v:

She had some great first scenes, like the huge piles of luggage due to preparing for every possible climate, and the "I just want.. a mate." "You're not mating with me sunshine!" exchange.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

BioEnchanted posted:

She had some great first scenes, like the huge piles of luggage due to preparing for every possible climate, and the "I just want.. a mate." "You're not mating with me sunshine!" exchange.

Oh agreed, as far as I'm concerned Donna has been the best NuWho companion, hands down. Which I never would have thought I'd be saying about a character played by Catherine Tate.

Graham and Wilf are tied for second. :corsair:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Caught the end of Utopia last night (my roommate was watching it when I got home from work) and whatever you may think of the concluding two-parter, that remains...well, all right, I think I still rate Missy's reveal in Dark Water just above Jacobi's reveal here, but only just. It's very good, is my point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh the final 10-15 minutes of Utopia is one of my favourite moments of Who of all time. Basically everything from where Yana takes out his watch to the episode end is gold.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Ooooh, now I can say I was provoked :getin:" is just such a perfect Master line. Jacobi is fantastic in just how smoothly he snaps from kindly Professor Yana to cynical, sneering but also just having a whale of a time The Master.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I really like the big climax in Last Of The Time Lords, I'm surprised it's so maligned. It's not too far removed from something Moffat would do, which actually might explain it, with basically the story of the Doctor taking on a power of its own and saving the day. Plus Martha laughing at what an obvious dumb decoy the anti-Master gun was

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mel isn’t loving around with keeping him on his diet :hai:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
MArtha's run on the show is marred by Moffat not letting go of Rose and trying to make her rose 2.0 and it hurts her as a character. Especially because she is just so much more capable a person than Rose was ever shown as being.

Also, I am in the vocal minority who thinks Amy is an awful companion. Rose 3.0, more attiude but pining for the Doctor but also loves Rory (kinda, when we tell you). Karen Gillam is great, don't get me wrong but her character was just always bugged me.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

docbeard posted:

Caught the end of Utopia last night (my roommate was watching it when I got home from work) and whatever you may think of the concluding two-parter, that remains...well, all right, I think I still rate Missy's reveal in Dark Water just above Jacobi's reveal here, but only just. It's very good, is my point.

The only reason I might rank the Jacobi reveal below Missy's or Simm's in the Cyberman one is that I had been slightly spoiled that we'd get 1)The Master and 2)Yana was definitely some Time Lord so it wasn't a total shock. But the other two I never saw coming :tviv:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mooseontheloose posted:

MArtha's run on the show is marred by Moffat not letting go of Rose and trying to make her rose 2.0 and it hurts her as a character. Especially because she is just so much more capable a person than Rose was ever shown as being.

Also, I am in the vocal minority who thinks Amy is an awful companion. Rose 3.0, more attiude but pining for the Doctor but also loves Rory (kinda, when we tell you). Karen Gillam is great, don't get me wrong but her character was just always bugged me.

Goddamn, people forgot about RTD again!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

He’s so tall too, how is he so easy for people to overlook?!?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Donna is the best New Who companion

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

An objectively correct opinion :hai:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Don't linger, go ginger, they oughta bring back Catherine Tate

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And why did Moffat get rid of Liz Shaw after only one season when she was so great? Or let William Hartnell quit, for that matter!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

everything that ever went bad in Doctor Who is Moffat's doing

What was he thinking creating Adric?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Argh. I now use RTD and Moffat interchangeably and that's bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

Donna is the best New Who companion
I love Amy and Bill so, so much, and Nardole and Graham are wonderful, but Donna is great, so I'll say I agree if we get to include Wilf as part of the package.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Mel isn’t loving around with keeping him on his diet :hai:

That's Evelyn, you heathen!

I demand you turn in your Who Fan Card, post haste!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I believe the joke is that it was Mel diving through the time vortex in the second panel to save Six from those... crisps?

Or rather that she hired a vampire, since that's a traditional Time Lord Aversion Therapy technique.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just dropping in to say that everyone mentioning Donna as best companion are good people.

Forever bummed she was forced to forget everything :(

Love that her and David teamed up again on Duck tales though :allears:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Just got done catching up on this season (from Tsuranga Conundrum through the finale) and I felt like the back half had a pretty good batting average in terms of quality with Demons of the Punjab being the best episode of the season for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edward Mass posted:

Who?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/JoannaLumleyUK/status/1079119513239597057

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

RTD. You know, this guy:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know why that dude just posted an emptyquote or why I have all these marks on my hands now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think of Martha as a bad companion so much as a poorly-utilized one. She as a character deserved way better than to be Ten's rebound companion (and I think the story even mostly knew that).

Donna and Bill share the #1 Revival Companion pedestal in my head. (Wilf is loving excellent too.)

Oh and The End Of Time is loving wonderful fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Narsham posted:

RTD. You know, this guy:

I think you're having a stroke