Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone was reading Animorphs when they wrote that novel :hmmyes:.

Uh, a pocket dimension/subspace is the canon explanation for the mass differences for Transformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The thing is starfleet has like a billion ways of sensing subspace distortions. So detecting changelings shouldn't be impossible, even if you don't catch them in the act you should be able to map out the subspace distortions whenever one changes mass.

It also inevitable leads to a troubling question: does each changling have his own personal subspace bubble for storing his extra weight, or is there this whole other dimension with changing butts just constantly phasing in and out. The changling butt dimension. Do other things live in that dimension?!?
(what do you think it smells like haha)

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

In one of the ds9 novels it's explained that changelings change mass by shifting it into another subspace dimension

That's loving stupid.

That implies that a changeling could potentially become a planet, or even a singularity.

STUPID HOLOGRAM CHILD
Odo, be a top!

ODO
*Spins into a loving pulsar and wrecks 3 systems.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Eh, it makes more sense than Pym particles or dwarf star alloy :shrug:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i only got a few episodes into enterprise before giving up, but there was a surprisingly large amount of poo poo that made me go "red dwarf did it better"

including mpreg

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Temper Trudeau posted:

That's loving stupid.

That implies that a changeling could potentially become a planet, or even a singularity.

STUPID HOLOGRAM CHILD
Odo, be a top!

ODO
*Spins into a loving pulsar and wrecks 3 systems.

congratulations, you solved dark matter

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Miss posted:

i only got a few episodes into enterprise before giving up, but there was a surprisingly large amount of poo poo that made me go "red dwarf did it better"

including mpreg

jesus loving christ I forgot ENT had canon mpreg

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Odo: I... prefer not to change my form for others.

Little girl: Because then you don't know if they like you for you?

Odo: No... It's just very expensive, and this is a bottle episode

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Miss posted:

including mpreg

truly astonishing that they thought it was a good idea

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

only good part of that episode was the klingons

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm not saying a good mpreg episode it's possible, I'm just saying that you have to be sensitive in how you approach chakotay's miracle of birth

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Pick posted:

I'm not saying a good mpreg episode it's possible, I'm just saying that you have to be sensitive in how you approach chakotay's miracle of birth

how many words is that fanfic?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Miss posted:

how many words is that fanfic?

Current longest Star Trek (entire franchise) fic featuring mpreg: James T. Kirk/Spock (WC: 309,163)

Current longest Star Trek (entire franchise) fic featuring mpreg (complete): James T. Kirk/Khan Noonien Singh (WC: 229,619)

Current longest Star Trek: Voyager fic featuring mpreg: Chakotay/Tom Paris (WC: 82,834)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

god bless

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Looks like there is a lot of kirk/khan stuff. But is it real Khan or bandersnatch humperdink khan?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sweet geek swag posted:

Looks like there is a lot of kirk/khan stuff. But is it real Khan or bandersnatch humperdink khan?

mostly the new ones. you can make a lot of really informed predictions about the type of content you'll see based on which series it was for, which characters it features, and when it was posted. statistically it's fascinating.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pick posted:

mostly the new ones. you can make a lot of really informed predictions about the type of content you'll see based on which series it was for, which characters it features, and when it was posted. statistically it's fascinating.

Yeah I can see that. I haven't actually read a lot of Star Trek fan fics, mostly because fan fics are only interesting if they are really good or really bad and if I want bad star trek I have Voyager or Enterprise.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i mean 60k is a loving novel to put it into perspective

it amazes me some of the fic writers who have the ability to write multiple 50k+ fics in a year and have huge, dedicated twitter followings, but they will not self pub and constantly complain about how agents will not give them the time of day

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i mean 60k is a loving novel to put it into perspective

it amazes me some of the fic writers who have the ability to write multiple 50k+ fics in a year and have huge, dedicated twitter followings, but they will not self pub and constantly complain about how agents will not give them the time of day

If they had business sense they wouldn't be writing fan fics probably.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
writing doesn't pay poo poo unless you're in the top 1% so if you're just doing it for attention and readership then fanfiction probably is the way to go

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

writing novels doesn't pay poo poo, the real money's in holonovels

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pick posted:

writing doesn't pay poo poo unless you're in the top 1% so if you're just doing it for attention and readership then fanfiction probably is the way to go

That's fair.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like the episode of DS9 where they find the planet that shifts dimensions, and after talking to some guy for like an hour Jadzia decides to throw her current life away to be with him for the next 60 years

Seriously Dax you're the loving smart one on the crew what the hell happened here

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

I like the episode of DS9 where they find the planet that shifts dimensions, and after talking to some guy for like an hour Jadzia decides to throw her current life away to be with him for the next 60 years

Seriously Dax you're the loving smart one on the crew what the hell happened here

she fished garak's wire out of the trash and was tripping on good feelies

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Danaru posted:

The writer on that also did The Loss for TNG, which was a Troi episode. So my guess was the writer went "Jadzia's a lady right?" and just wrote a troi episode.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

sweet geek swag posted:

The writer on that also did The Loss for TNG, which was a Troi episode. So my guess was the writer went "Jadzia's a lady right?" and just wrote a troi episode.

She also wrote Voyager's Eye of the Needle, which had a pretty good main plot.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bogus Adventure posted:

She also wrote Voyager's Eye of the Needle, which had a pretty good main plot.

I also like The Loss (well I think I do, I haven't seen it in years). The problem is not that she is a bad writer, it's that she wrote a very bad episode for Jadzia. Troi and Jadzia are very different characters with different strengths. A lot of Troi episodes feature a new stranger who sweeps her off her feet, but by all accounts Jadzia should be like, "Nah, I've done that poo poo before."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pick posted:

this is no longer true, a ton of people are making living wage self pubbing on amazon, and not just smut

its one of the reasons i get so mad at people who are already churning out novel sized works and have a social media footprint authors would kill for, and all they do with it is complain about how hard it is to find an agent

i say people i mean one person in particular who works a job she hates, has no time to write, and yet loves to tell me how self publishing is 'vanity publishing'

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you had enough Changelings they might even be able to pull off some of the stuff Q does, like appearing to magic up Sherwood Forest and appropriate Merry Man clothes for everyone, but nobody wants that. Because then your ol' timey baggy underwear is actually a sapient person. Nope.

I read this post and then thought of the time Bashir almost skipped a rock across the Great Link and drat near pissed myself thinking of Bashir wearing a changeling and lifting a cheek to fart but Sisko quicky grabs his shoulder and gives him that "WTF you goddamn idiot" look

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

sweet geek swag posted:

I also like The Loss (well I think I do, I haven't seen it in years). The problem is not that she is a bad writer, it's that she wrote a very bad episode for Jadzia. Troi and Jadzia are very different characters with different strengths. A lot of Troi episodes feature a new stranger who sweeps her off her feet, but by all accounts Jadzia should be like, "Nah, I've done that poo poo before."

A lot of Troi episodes were pretty bad.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

McSpanky posted:

I read this post and then thought of the time Bashir almost skipped a rock across the Great Link and drat near pissed myself thinking of Bashir wearing a changeling and lifting a cheek to fart but Sisko quicky grabs his shoulder and gives him that "WTF you goddamn idiot" look

Where can I read the rest of your erotic fanfic?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
speaking of, when is the next update of that star trek/power rangers fanfic coming?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bogus Adventure posted:

A lot of Troi episodes were pretty bad.

I don't like a lot of them, but my aunt fuckin loves em.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also Meridian gave us sexy quark, so it's not all bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sweet geek swag posted:

Also Meridian gave us sexy quark, so it's not all bad.

all quarks...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Quark really comes off as a character who by all rights should be super unpleasant and annoying; he's sexist, racist, and constantly getting everyone in danger with his greed and selfishness, but everyone in show and out actually likes him.

Neelix is basically what happens when you try to do that kind of character and go horribly wrong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Quark works as a character because he has an ethos and some measure of morals (warped as they are). He's also more bark than bite, and everyone knows it.

Neelix just gets rewritten on a weekly basis to suit the script, same as everyone that isn't Janeway, Seven, or the Doctor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Quark works as a character because he has an ethos and some measure of morals (warped as they are). He's also more bark than bite, and everyone knows it.

I think it's telling that during flashbacks to the Occupation, it's noted that Quark is permitted to use Bajorans as waiters and other staff, and it's the most desirable job anywhere for Bajorans because Quark and Rom treat the Bajorans relatively well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And while Quark makes a big effort to be a 'good' 'traditional' Ferengi, he really isn't one, and it shows in his interactions with larger Ferengi society. Their society is open about being cutthroat capitalism and prepares everyone for it, but the ones who actually succeed are the ones who can be trustworthy and reliable, especially in long-term relationships with other societies that don't put up with their poo poo quite so much.

Quark and Odo also have the thing of being constants during and after the occupation, they know each other from way back and are part of the station as much as the airlocks and furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
actually it's more that he's like his dad, who was a good man by human standards, but not by Ferengi ones