Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The last weekend's race had quite a few severely whooped out steep downhills (reversed uphills, hence the whoops). Many of them had ledge and rocks in the whoops, which means improper line choice leads to going OTB.

The keys to going down these is rearward body position and moderate speed. The intention is to keep the front wheel light, or up. This is achieved by standing and keeping your butt wayyyyy over the rear fender. The rear brake can be used to keep your bike in the groove (more brake will slide you back center). Front should stay rolling, but you shouldn't really be using it extensively. The exception is slowing down before a major drop to achieve the appropriate speed. Line choice is always critical. Beginners often avoid rocks and ledge, but those obstacles can often smooth your descent, as opposed to having the front drop into a hole in the dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
one of the guys at the 24 hour race yelled out on the final lap "just commit bro you're good!"

i committed right into a tree at the bottom of the hill

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

bibs and bees

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Good luck! Take some video.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Busy weekend

Start

Off camber

Big crowd

Holeshot

Field track

Dangerous pipe repair

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 4, 2018

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Dangerous pipe repair

*completely safe pipe bomb repair

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I block the way for my buddy Tom;

I'm actually almost 12 minutes ahead of him, I just waited for him at a "known control" after gas (lunch) so he could try and keep with me in the afternoon section. Tom is normally faster than me, so I'm rubbing it in hard. Of course, the first thing I do is flop it over in a creek.

After this creek we shoot up some waterfalls, and I stopped to pivot turn left and he got around me. Unfortunately for him, he lost it on a bridge 10 yards away, and I didn't see him again for 1.5 hours and 2 checks.

The afternoon was brutal. We met up again in the second to last section, where I had been in a mud hole for 5-6 minutes. I had just got free when he rolled up. We did the last 10 miles together, constantly leap frogging eachother each time another got stuck or crashed in the green and slimy uphill rock gardens.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 2, 2018

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Nice day at NHMX

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I always wanted a dirt bike growing up, same goes for playing hockey and having a drum set. Those were three things I wanted most as a kid. My parents are awesome but they never got me a bike, they knew a drum set would be obnoxious and hockey was expensive.

I got my first job when I was 15 and bought a drum set in my own. When I graduated college and started my first career job I started playing hockey and have been playing for the last 10 years.

Saturday at the age of 34, I bought my first bike. A 2007 WR250F

I'm super excited and can't wait to get riding.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

pix of riding

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Supercross thread got bumped to the archives, so I'm posting here to say that the Monster Energy Cup was a very entertaining race.

Hope Savatgy gets a good deal with Kawasaki after that.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
man he's full of piss and vinegar aint he, that was a hard landing

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

NHMX this weekend

Video shows me on the Yam, buddy Tom on the KTM 250 XC, and Anna on the 250. This is lap 14, we all passed eachother like 100 times. Super fun.

https://i.imgur.com/pUHEXXx.mp4

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 22, 2018

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Because no one will see it in the other thread, RedBull Straight Rhythm: 2 Stroke only(and one electric)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvUycXKV4s

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Watched it live - was super good.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

NHMX this weekend

Video shows me on the Yam, buddy Tom on the KTM 250 XC, and Anna on the 250. This is lap 14, we all passed eachother like 100 times. Super fun.

Skreemer posted:

Because no one will see it in the other thread, RedBull Straight Rhythm: 2 Stroke only(and one electric)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvUycXKV4s

I need McElrath's skeleton gear immediately if not sooner.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

u got my number bby

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

friend's sweet ride on sunday

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

friend's sweet ride on sunday

My tailbone hurts just watching that.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

NHMX this weekend

Draggin' your feet around asking to gently caress up your legs. Just FYI.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Went to a new MX track in NH on Sunday called Sandbox NH. Here's a pic of the GF on my bike over a table.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Since buying my bike in October, my buddy also wanted a bike so we picked up his (a crf250x) a few weeks back. Our schedules finally clicked this past weekend so we got out to Tahuya State Forest near/on the olympic peninsula of Washington. It was a blast. We both had a poo poo ton of fun and I'm kicking myself for not getting into riding sooner. It was exhausting but in a good way. We avoided the tight single track for the time being and stuck to quad trails as they were slightly wider. There were a lot of sections of loose river rock which was weird to ride through and just made me feel very uneasy. It was kind of like riding on a metal grate where one wheel wants to go one way and the other wheel the opposite. I need to pick up a better pressure gauge to play with tire pressure. I think I might have been too high. I also need to make a few minor adjustments to control placement (brake pedal, shifter) as they felt very high and low and generally difficult to reach with my foot.

Seriously though, it was a ton of fun but way more exhausting than I expected. And if riding all day wasn't enough, I had a hockey game at 11pm the same night. I fell asleep drat near instant when I got home at 2am this morning.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verman posted:

Since buying my bike in October, my buddy also wanted a bike so we picked up his (a crf250x) a few weeks back. Our schedules finally clicked this past weekend so we got out to Tahuya State Forest near/on the olympic peninsula of Washington. It was a blast. We both had a poo poo ton of fun and I'm kicking myself for not getting into riding sooner. It was exhausting but in a good way. We avoided the tight single track for the time being and stuck to quad trails as they were slightly wider. There were a lot of sections of loose river rock which was weird to ride through and just made me feel very uneasy. It was kind of like riding on a metal grate where one wheel wants to go one way and the other wheel the opposite. I need to pick up a better pressure gauge to play with tire pressure. I think I might have been too high. I also need to make a few minor adjustments to control placement (brake pedal, shifter) as they felt very high and low and generally difficult to reach with my foot.

Seriously though, it was a ton of fun but way more exhausting than I expected. And if riding all day wasn't enough, I had a hockey game at 11pm the same night. I fell asleep drat near instant when I got home at 2am this morning.

That's great. Tahuya is some fantastic riding. Some of the single track is pretty easy too (some is, uh, not). Like there's one that goes by the river that's just really, really nice riding.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Europeans vs. Americans in MXWorld:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOpORr2NE6c

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I enjoyed this, but ... from the description "The only time American and European riders face-off on the same track is at the annual Motocross"

but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOTQXnjJkrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0EcOC9ReUQ

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Second real ride on my bike. Meet up with some dudes off thumper talk at tahuya. It's been freezing overnight aground here and there was some frosty and ice on the trails.

Things were damp and slick as it warmed up. Might have hit 40 this afternoon. Any stick over 2 inches thick was trying to pull me off my bike. The logs and rocks were straight death.

I tried single track and holy poo poo that's hard. It's so tight I never felt like I had enough room. I dropped my bike probably a dozen times and ended up beneath it once. The weirdest things were insanely difficult. It was exhausting but a fun time. I was the newbie and the guys were super patient and helpful. They even adjusted my suspension and tire pressure to help with the bouncing around. I'm the one standing there with the thumbs up holding my bike while this internet stranger lays in a thorn bush adjusting my bike. The other photo is someone adjusting their own bike while I take a break from falling.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
"Do enduro!", they said.
"It'll be fun!", they said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI4MjrYUDp4

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do you have to qualify for hard enduro, or do they just let in anyone with enough money and mental illness?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slim Pickens posted:

Do you have to qualify for hard enduro, or do they just let in anyone with enough money and mental illness?

For things like the Erzberg Enduro, there's a qualifier, but they take the first 1500 riders that place. Most of the WESS events they bill as "amateurs race next to their heroes." Then again at things like Erzberg when you have maybe a dozen total cross the finish line.

Some of the beach races I know are straight up, buy in and run what you brung.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

All that I'm aware of have qualifier rounds the days before hand, with the exception of Romaniacs, which has a large series of classes allowing less talented riders to play at suffering.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yo someone make a fantasy sx thread tyvm

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yo deeters make the fantasy sx thread tyvm

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

New to me 1992 rm250 braaaap

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'll throw one up this weekend. You guys know if the pulpmx fantasy league from last year will just keep working?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I went to a local shop and the 2019 crf450l was the same price as a 2019 excf500 so Monday I pick up my new orange dirt bike yay

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Can't let the dirt bike thread completely die.

For those of you in New England, I'm going to check this out tomorrow. Not a race, but something different from the usual trails.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Misty lovely days are the best for riding up the mountain 'cause there's less traffic, kills the view a bit though. I went up just fine, coming down was more of a challenge though, I'm not comfortable taking hairpins while standing and modulating the front brake, I was locking up the front a lot too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

There's what, like half a dozen Seattle area dual sport/dirt riders now? We should do a goon ride sometime this coming month.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Yes please, I long to show off how bad I am at riding my 701 everywhere offroad. The only Seattle offroad group I've gone with so far is the dual sport Meetup group which mostly consists of the same guy arranging rides in Shelton (bless him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm based out of Seattle and I've got a street legal WR250 that I'll probably have a license to ride on road if I get off my rear end and take the test this summer. Until then I'm always up for trail riding.