Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zesty posted:

I appreciate enjoying this game again vicariously through new players.
Same. It's the closest thing to being able to experience the game for the first time again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Waffle House posted:

Wait, you can just smash them with the grabber fist?

Yup.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
In case anyone hasn't seen it, this did convince me to buy the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA&t=1s

The characters got inserted into the game as an easter egg, giving the code to the captain's quarters, I believe! :woop:

It's half-machinama, half-let's play, but another way to vicariously enjoy the game!
Subnautica Playlist

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Zesty posted:

I appreciate enjoying this game again vicariously through new players.

:same:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I forgot how fun it was to slalom through the Mushroom forest in a Seamoth.

e: I don't ski. Yetis.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 30, 2018

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

WarpedNaba posted:

I forgot how fun it was to shalom through the Mushroom forest in a Seamoth.

I know you meant slalom but this is insanely funny to me

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

TK-42-1 posted:

I know you meant slalom but this is insanely funny to me

I knew there was a reason I hated them crabs.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

The lack of an in game map is part of what makes this game awesome. You can look it up online if you choose to or have the challenge if you want it.

This is also true of dark souls.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The lack of a map is dumb. I understand not starting with one, but there should a way to create one that fills in as you explore because you just end up outsourcing the feature to wikis anyway.

Same thing with items not stacking, it should be a problem in the early game that you can eventually engineer a solution to. Thank goodness for HexiDave and his pull from containers mod.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Maybe you look up maps. I’ve really been beating that Beacon drum lately but really... just use beacons. It’s different and works better than you think. You’re not supposed to have absolute control here.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Skippy McPants posted:

The lack of a map is dumb. I understand not starting with one, but there should a way to create one that fills in as you explore because you just end up outsourcing the feature to wikis anyway.

It's totally unnecessary once you have beacons, and you get the satisfaction of building the map yourself. Plus you get to name your own landmarks, which gives you kind of our own unique sense of the space. I don't know all the 'official' biome names but I'll never forget BLUEBALL ONE or CRAB DEATH HOLE.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I did use beacons, and I also used maps because maps are helpful, which is why every explorer in the history of forever either had one or made as they went along. Even a way to link all of your scanning rooms into one consolidated input woulda been nice.

At the very least, I'd have liked a pithy comment from your AI about how Alterra doesn't believe in maps for some lovely corporate reason.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
WHOA BUT WHAT ABOUT REALISM

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I did use beacons, and I also used maps because maps are helpful, which is why every explorer in the history of forever either had one or made as they went along. Even a way to link all of your scanning rooms into one consolidated input woulda been nice.

At the very least, I'd have liked a pithy comment from your AI about how Alterra doesn't believe in maps for some lovely corporate reason.

Using non-Alterra branded charts or maps is a fireable offense and this is clearly stated in the employee handbook.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zesty posted:

Maybe you look up maps. I’ve really been beating that Beacon drum lately but really... just use beacons. It’s different and works better than you think. You’re not supposed to have absolute control here.

Unless you are a new player and don't have access to beacons yet. Navigation is currently incredibly annoying.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Even for new players I would heavily suggest the map mod here.

It works like every other sane map developed and only reveals things directly around your position - including vertically so you won't get spoiled.

E: I'm also in the camp that the lack of a built-in map is purely to pad out content and create the illusion of a bigger world instead of any deeper game play concerns.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 30, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rynoto posted:

Even for new players I would heavily suggest the map mod here.

It works like every other sane map developed and only reveals things directly around your position - including vertically so you won't get spoiled.

E: I'm also in the camp that the lack of a built-in map is purely to pad out content and create the illusion of a bigger world instead of any deeper game play concerns.
On that subject, there was a time where quite literally, the Compass was potentially the most commonly missed item.

Turning beacons into fragments wasn't padding! The Devs CLEARLY stated they removed beacons (and laser cutters) from the starting items, because having them would confuse newbies with too many items :pseudo:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 30, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I was laughing maniacally when I first got in my prawn and beat the living poo poo out of some Stalkers with my robofists. Sense of unlimited power indeed.
this but grappling onto the back of a reaper and drilling its brains out while I rodeo'd it up as it leapt out of the water repeatedly

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I just can't find the second moonpool fragment for the life of me holy poo poo. I even found a ton of pieces of the cyclops just looking for the loving thing, but no luck with the thing I actually wanted. At least I got some free powercells so I can still roam in my stupid seamoth and not have to worry about oxygen.

I'm really frustrated atm, I think this thing is gating me from progressing to further depths.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 30, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

mortons stork posted:

I just can't find the second moonpool fragment for the life of me holy poo poo. I even found a ton of pieces of the cyclops just looking for the loving thing, but no luck with the thing I actually wanted. At least I got some free powercells so I can still roam in my stupid seamoth and not have to worry about oxygen.

I'm really frustrated atm, I think this thing is gating me from progressing to further depths.

where have you been checking? they're in the Mushroom Forest and the Grand reef, and can be found in a lot of the wrecks around the Sparse/Grand Reefs. the big wrecks will often have these sorts of things around them. honestly if you're having a hard time finding something I recommend just looking up the wrecks that it spawns at on the wiki and pulling up navigation loc with F1 (or just use the map mod, it really improves things, imo, because you still have to explore them first)

I've played through subnautica a couple times and the first time I played totally blind, and it wasn't as good an experience as it was with the map mod and use of wikis for certain niggly frustrating things

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Outpost bases and scanner rooms really are your friends. And once you've cleared out an area, you can literally pack up entire bases and ship them off to the next spot.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
First time I played through I got to the Lost River before I completed the beacon blueprint. I ended up using 2 beacons the whole game and just memorized where everything was by using the wreck and islands as markers.

Second time I started it back up I found nothing but beacons everywhere within minutes.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Maps impose the human colonial gaze upon an untamed wild space, ruining everything that’s wonderful. :colbert:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Peachfart posted:

Unless you are a new player and don't have access to beacons yet. Navigation is currently incredibly annoying.

They’re all over the safe shallows.

Now if you want to complain about multipurpose rooms being further along than they should, I’ll be right there with you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

First time I played through I got to the Lost River before I completed the beacon blueprint. I ended up using 2 beacons the whole game and just memorized where everything was by using the wreck and islands as markers.

Second time I started it back up I found nothing but beacons everywhere within minutes.

Yeah, I didn't get the BP for beacons until I already had a full base at the tree cove and had explored the containment base and gone through most of the stargate portals. I just used the lifepod signals as landmarks, and built a couple of scanner rooms (you can activate camera markers in the hud)!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
After playing Log Cabin simulator The Forest I decided to check out Water Monster Simulator, is there anything major I should know going in blind, I'm on PS4 so mods are right out by the way.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

gps satelite launch would be a cool endgame addition to the neptune rocket pad

mortons stork posted:

If you haven't thought about fixing the aurora's drive core yet, it helps with depth.

Moonpool fragments tend to be at deeper depths. The text below these spoilers might help you:

https://subnauticamap.io/i/Wrecks (I use the fore and aft sides of the aurora as my frame of reference for using this map. Scanner rooms help a lot.)
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Wrecks#Dunes (wreck6)
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Wrecks#Grand%20Reef (wreck10)
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Wrecks#Mountains (both wreck5 and wreck19)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

After playing Log Cabin simulator The Forest I decided to check out Water Monster Simulator, is there anything major I should know going in blind, I'm on PS4 so mods are right out by the way.

a) don't play hardcore and b) you won't eventually die a la The Long Dark, there is a purpose and end to the game

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Judge Tesla posted:

:woop:

Have fun, don't play with perma-death (but food/water can be fun if you dig survival mode) so you can experiment a bit, remember to save every time you get back to base, and check the flashing beacon in your lifepod to advance the plot!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Judge Tesla posted:

Don't bother trying to find a 'perfect spot' for a base. Build it in the starting biome even with just a corridor so you can start storing stuff. Always carry a beacon with you so you can drop a waypoint for when you inevitably discover something you want to come back to.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So far I've built a radiation suit, a scanner, a knife, repair tool and a base builder tool, I've turned off food/water requirements because frankly if I can I will, those bars add nothing but pointless annoyances.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

save every time you get back to base get scared

It's basically an auto save at that point

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Judge Tesla posted:

So far I've built a radiation suit, a scanner, a knife, repair tool and a base builder tool, I've turned off food/water requirements because frankly if I can I will, those bars add nothing but pointless annoyances.

De gustibus non est disputandum, but I enjoyed the rhythmic planning aspect of the needs cycles. It gives you something to plan out besides hunting for the next components/resources.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

De gustibus non est disputandum, but I enjoyed the rhythmic planning aspect of the needs cycles. It gives you something to plan out besides hunting for the next components/resources.

Eh, I've played many survival games and it doesn't make things more fun, I'm much happier looking around for materials and the only bars I need to keep happy are oxygen and health, that's more than enough for me.

I decided to build my base over a giant thermal vent hole because it looked pretty cool, had to scrounge up 50 titanium for all the materials but my tube base and 4 storage lockers are complete.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Holy gently caress I finally found the poo poo I needed after having to look it up, I was being gatekept so hard I'm basically one step away from the loving mk2 depth already. I can finally GO DEEP :getin:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've gone back and forth on exploration timers (of which hunger is one) by I think I've concluded that I like them in games with multiple gameplay pillars (like this one). Assuming the devs put thought into the mechanic, it's a very loud way of telling the player what the most fun division of gameplay is.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Eh, I've played many survival games and it doesn't make things more fun, I'm much happier looking around for materials and the only bars I need to keep happy are oxygen and health, that's more than enough for me.

I decided to build my base over a giant thermal vent hole because it looked pretty cool, had to scrounge up 50 titanium for all the materials but my tube base and 4 storage lockers are complete.

Stop reading this thread until you're done! You only get one first time through this game and you should try not to spoil ANYTHING.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm not overly interested in finishing the game's storyline anytime soon, I'm having more fun harassing the local stalkers with my knife and working on my base.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I just built the prawn suit! I can't wait to punch rocks and wade slowly without fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Where is a good spot for rubies? I found a few down in the blood kelp area, and I went to the sea treaders area and broke shale for 20 minutes but only got two. Rubies are straight up gating me out of progress.