Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I like how Roxas felt the need to go write his last angsty thoughts into his diary. He truly is the epitome of Angsty Teen.

Also I always forget Saïx is a boss in this game, probably because it was even remotely referenced in the HD movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

I like how Roxas felt the need to go write his last angsty thoughts into his diary. He truly is the epitome of Angsty Teen.

Also I always forget Saïx is a boss in this game, probably because it was even remotely referenced in the HD movie.

Yeah, that whole sequence with Roxas and Saix is cut out of the HD movie entirely. No idea why though.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

3 days left.

Video: Xion and Naminé

Nice to meet you...

Video stops here
Music: Musique pour la tristesse de Xion

Yes.
What do you think I should do?
What do you want to do?

Don't think you're get off the hook, Xion. You're also a lovely friend, not telling Roxas anything :argh:

But then I started to realize these memories don't belong to me.
That's because you're Kairi. At least, the Kairi Sora remembers.
The more I remember, the more I feel like I'm in the wrong place...like... Like I need to go back.
Back to Sora? If you return your memories to him, you'll disappear. And since everything about you was built on those memories...

I can't save you, Xion-even a memory of you.

People remember Repliku exists. :colbert:

...oh wait. He's never mentioned by Sora or Riku after Re:CoM and only alluded to in this game. Could it be that Repliku has actually been forgotten? :ohdear:

(I'm not counting DDD or KH3 since Xion also appears there.)

I know. I'm ready. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.
Roxas belongs with Sora, too. But...I don't think he would understand. Not yet.

And have you tried talking to him about it? Or even hinting about it? Or confiding to him about Riku? Or even telling who Sora is?

He can't feel Sora. But he will.
Namine, will you watch over Roxas once I'm gone?

Sure, Namine will watch over Roxas. Inside a simulated Twilight Town, counting down the time until the bombshell drops.

You won't be alone. I asked somebody else to look after him, too.

You mean Axel? Yeah, he's doing a great job :downsbravo:

It's just...there isn't anything else I can do for him.

TALK TO HIM. I mentioned this in the thread before, but this game is a good guide on the pitfalls in friendships.

All right.
Thank you.
If you're ready, let's go see Sora.

That blasted puppet led them right to our doorstep! See what you get for trusting it?

Full disclosure: I REALLY hate DiZ. Ansem the Wise isn't that bad, but seeing DiZ just piss me off. Even worse than Axel or even Tony.

I'll get rid of them! *runs off*
No! Xion...

Music stops
Video: Xion and Axel Face Off

Xion looks around...

Music: Roxas

Why do I always get stuck with the icky jobs?

I don't now, Axel. Is it because you don't :sever: after seeing Saix trying to get Roxas and Xion kill each other? Or because you're not willing to tell Roxas anything? Or because you've done your previous icky jobs without complaints?

Axel...
Xion...what are you gonna do?
I've decided that I have to go back to where I belong.
Well, to be honest, I always felt that was best, right from the very beginning.
But you know, it still really bugs me. Something about this just stinks.
It's for the good of everyone.
But how do you know that? Everybody thinks they're right...
This is right.
They're gonna destroy you!

Please don't hold back, Axel. Promise.

Xion and Axel in a nutshell. And Saix too, while we're at it.

You both...think you can do whatever you want. Well, I'm sick of it.

Roxas did nothing wrong. He was just very socially awkward. :colbert:

Go on, you just keep running.

I have to admit, though, that this scene is great if we don't think about how Axel and Xion are being lovely friends.

Especially the music timing, although maybe I'm just a sucker for Roxas' theme.

Video stops
Music stops

I like how Xemnas just casually grabs Xion and completely ignores Axel.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 12, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's a well directed scene, I suppose, but the dialogue doesn't really make that much sense.

"I'm gonna pop back into Sora where I belong."

"I guess that's for the best, but I can't say I like it."

"But enough talk; have at you!"

"I will drag you kicking and screaming back to the guys who are trying to kill you."

I mean, if Axel has an endgame that isn't killing Xion, he sure isn't sharing it, and if he doesn't, why the gently caress wouldn't he just let her go out on her own terms?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Axel is not a very smart man.

1234567890num posted:

I like how Xemnas just casually grabs Xion and completely ignores Axel.

Same.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

2 days left.

Music: Lazy Afternoons

You know the rules! Last one there buys ice cream!
What!? Not this again!
If you don't want to shell out, I suggest you get running!

*The trio runs off*

Maybe I'll stop by the clock tower. Seems as good a place as any...

We now have free roam around Twilight Town. There's absolutely nobody here, so we go to the Station Plaza.

This is our hub for the rest of the game, which will be used exactly once before the credits roll.

Goodbye, Gloomex. You might have very few lines, but you have the honor of being the only FF character in the game.

Not before we synthesize a new weapon, though. We could've made this before, but I didn't want to bother changing up the panels.

This weapon has more strength than Rage Gear+ while only having slightly less magic than Phantom Gear++, so this weapon is a great replacement. Sadly, we're only going to be using it for one mission.

We can't change our panels configuration between the last two missions, so this will have to do for both. The most important thing to note from this is that the items won't be replenished, not that I need to them.

Brick Wall prevents combo from being interrupted, by the way. Just like Magic Bracer but for combos.

Here's Lunar Eclipse+ and our stats for the rest of the game.

Let's go.

Music stops
Video: Xion Attacks

What a joke.

Someone comes.

Hello, Xion. Kinda late to tell everything now, isn't it?

Thank you.

Twilight Station Tower: 57
Sea-Salt Ice Cream: 97

:monocle: Here's our final tally. I'm honestly surprised that the ice cream count doesn't reach 100.

*time passes*

I'm out of time.

*Xion stands up and removes her hood*

I have to make this choice. You have poured so many memories into me...given me so much...that I feel like I'm about to overflow. Look at me, Roxas. Who do you see?

Roxas just don't know what the gently caress.

Then that means I'm almost ready. The puppet will have to play her part. Roxas... This is him.

Xion then proceeds to walk on the air.

You're next, Roxas. I have to make you a part of me, too. Don't you see?

No, he doesn't. You also never told him anything! :argh:

Also, hear that line out of context and tell me that's not a line from a villain.

Boss: Xion

So Xion turns into...this. What is this even supposed to be? Xion's actual appearance?

We're back in Wonderland. Okay then.

Music: Shrouding Dark Cloud

Looks like we now know what those devices are for. Why the Organization bother putting them is still a mystery, though :iiam:

Before we face Xion, we have to collect the badges first.

First of all, Xion has a normal combo. The final hit in the combo can't be blocked, so it's best to avoid them instead.

Xion also has a charge attack. It's very easy to avoid. I just get hit here to get a better shot.

Xion will create a barrier after getting to 1 bar of HP. This barrier heals 0.5 HP bars. It's not as much of a problem as you'd think.

Xion's main attack involves her rising up to the sky...

...and then charging towards Roxas. Multiple times or until it's blocked. It's very similar to Sonic Blade, except Sonic Blade doesn't involve rising up.

Anyway, Xion goes down without a problem.

However, Xion's not down for the count yet.

We're transported to Halloween Town. Sure, why not.

Music: Vim and Vigor

Time for the second phase against Xion. It's the final* boss of a Square Enix game; of course there's multiple phases.

Xion's main attack now involves Xion using her Keyblade in a familiar pose...

...and using Ragnarok. This is by far the worst attack in the whole fight. If we get hit by one of the lights, we'll get stunlocked and get hit by the rest, which will be fatal.

The lights will chase us until Xion's next attack. If we're too far from her by that time, she's going to use Ragnarok again. It's a tightrope between gliding not too far from Xion but still avoiding the lights.

The charge attack now has a vortex pulling us in. It's now a matter of gliding away instead of dodge rolling away.

The regular combo is pretty much the same, really.

The only difference is that Xion does a backflip after doing it. The backflip does absolutely nothing for her, so it's only purpose is to show off :argh:

Magic is good for taking potshots during Ragnarok. You know, as long as we can still avoid it.

This is Xion trying to use the Barrier again. It fails because we hit her, which is great because I don't want to make this phase even longer.

She will do this after getting to 1.5 HP bars and will heal 2 bars if succeed. And if we're in the middle of dodging Ragnarok at this time, well, too bad.

Yeah, this attack's bullshit.

Eventually we defeat her and move on to the next phase.

This area is where we installed the device.

Music: Fight and Away

Try to guess what Xion's main attack this phase is.

If you guessed Ars Arcanum, you're right! This attack can be blocked and has a very long range. Still less dangerous than Ragnarok, though. Just spam dodge roll.

Xion's health this phase is much lower than the last, so with Limit we should be able to finish this quickly.

...Except this heals her back to full HP. Great. :sigh:

By the way, the barrier deals damage if we touch it.

At least it gives me a chance to show off her other attacks this phase. Like this combo which is pretty much the same as the first phase.

And the charge attack which is the same as the second phase.

Anyway, we attack her and prevent her from healing AGAIN. Yes, she will try to heal twice this phase: when she gets to 2 bars and 1 bar of HP.

Eventually we defeat her for the third time.

Of course, three phases aren't enough for Xion.

Roxas sees Xion and runs towards her...

And we're back to Twilight Town. With glass floor this time.

New Music: Vector to the Heavens

Apparently someone in the development team thought it'd be cool to fight a giant Xion, and when confronted with the fact that Roxas can't fly outside Neverland, decided to just make unexplained glass floor instead of scrapping the idea. :shrug:

I'm conflicted on whether that's a good decision.

In this phase, magic deals very little damage, so we pretty much have to rely on physical attacks. Xion also has more health than all her other phases combined.

Her attacks are completely changed now. For example, she can now create shockwave 4 times in a row. I don't know how to avoid all of them, but we can just tank them.

Her combo are easier to handle. We can tank this one as well, but it can cause a random status effect.

Her next attack is Gravity. It deals half of our current health. Only Dodge Roll can avoid this, but the timing is very tight.

There's also lightning. We can avoid it by gliding away from her.

Normally, that would be the end of the attack, but after we reduce her health she will continue to the second half.

She will create these pillars of light while there's a vortex pulling us in. This second half is as dangerous as a Thundara, which is to say, not at all.

Her final attack, though, is the most dangerous.

Xion's first phase represents Sonic Blade. Her second phase represents Ragnarok. Her third phase represents Ars Arcanum. Her fourth phase represents Trinity Limit.

Poor Strike Raid... :smith:

You REALLY don't want to get hit by this attack. It's easy to avoid it, but it's fatal if we don't. Still less awful than Ragnarok, though.

Music stops

The last phase is the only one shown in the movie, and even then only in the extended version. Just one more reason the movie sucks compared to the game.

Xion, defeated, goes back to her "Kairi" form.

Roxas got a headache from that...

And the glass floor breaks. Good thing there's no fall damage in KH, huh? :v:

Video: Xion's Demise

Time for the scene with the emotional impact proportional to how much you care about Xion.

Pictured: KH newcomers trying to keep track of the characters.

It's weird. I feel like I'm forgetting something really important.

Music: Musique pour la tristesse de Xion
You'll be better off now...Roxas.

For some reason when Xion died there's ice but when Repliku died there's only darkness.

Am I the one who did this to you?
No... It was my choice to go away now. Better that, than to do nothing and let Xemnas have his way.

:roflolmao:

I belong with Sora. And now, I am going back to be with him. Roxas... I need you to do me a favor. All those hearts that I have captured...Kingdom Hearts...set them free.
Kingdom Hearts... Free them?

Reminder: Roxas is just thinking who the heck this girl is throughout most of this scene.

For me to undo my mistakes. But you can't let Xemnas have Kingdom Hearts. You can't. Good-bye, Roxas. See you again. I'm glad I got to meet you. Oh..and of course, Axel, too. You're both my best friends. Never forget. That's the truth.

Axel and Roxas is Xion's best friends and worst friends at the same time.

*Roxas remembers something*

Xion...

There it is. The iconic line from this game :allears:

The ice spreads a lot more quickly after that line, as if that Xion just wants to die after hearing those words.

For some reason, the ice turns into light. Because why not.

And a seashell is left behind but not the cloak. Because why not.

Flashback to Xion smiling on top of the tower.

Axel's last line: Wondering how bad he hosed up.

Axel sees an envelope.

He opens it to see the stick.

Goodbye, Xion. You are the biggest fuckup in the game :downsbravo:

Video stops here
Music: Organization XIII

Goodbye, Saix. You're an rear end in a top hat and beating you up was the best part of the game :fuckoff:

Get me back my Keyblade wielder. Fetch me Roxas.

Goodbye, Xemnas. You were the epitome of :effort:

New reports:

And while we're at it...

Don't pretend you're surprised that we're going to fight Riku.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So as far as I know the whole reason there's ice here and doesn't seem to be ice with Repliku, and the ice turning to light, is it depends on the source of the memories and intended copy for the Replica; all Replicas were created by Vexen, so ice should be involved with both, but Xion was copying Sora/Roxas, and thus gets light element added. Repliku was copying Riku, and gets darkness, which I guess... melts the ice? Or something? I seem to vaguely remember Repliku melting or something.

Also, Strike Raid got skipped because even we couldn't have survived them making it more powerful. :colbert:

Prythian fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 15, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Weird they wouldn't have you fight a boss on the second-to-last day of the game, not even a Heartless or something.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Right? No enemies over four worlds, wtf game?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

1234567890num posted:

Poor Strike Raid... :smith:

Prythian posted:

Also, Strike Raid got skipped because even we couldn't have survived them making it more powerful. :colbert:

Not quite. Nomura has said that Strike Raid is Sora's "Signature" ability in a way. I mean, look at the sheer variance it gets in the games, and not just in Sora's hands! It's only natural, in a way, that Sora never gives it up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ragnarok does way too drat much damage. I also love how the Moogle just decides "Man, gently caress the Organization" and leaves with Roxas. I presume this is why none of the Organization has their ultimate weapons in KH2. :v:

On a different note, I get what they're going for with the ice cream line given that Roxas' whole idea of friendship is "People you have ice cream with", but I can also see why people find that line silly.

1234567890num posted:

So Xion turns into...this. What is this even supposed to be? Xion's actual appearance?

I'm assuming that's the case, yes. Note that Saix is always referring to her as a thing rather than by a gender, so I assume he just sees Roxas and Axel hanging out with what looks like a Yuke.

1234567890num posted:

Apparently someone in the development team thought it'd be cool to fight a giant Xion, and when confronted with the fact that Roxas can't fly outside Neverland, decided to just make unexplained glass floor instead of scrapping the idea. :shrug:

I'm conflicted on whether that's a good decision.

How the hell does no one in this town see this?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 15, 2018

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How the hell does no one in this town see this?

Besides probably being able to ask this about most bosses... If I'm understanding the Kingdom Hearts logic here (and granted that's a big if.) this boss popping up in the middle of a town and having no long term consequences on it's inhabitants does fit. Any one who would have seen megazord Xion would have forgotten about her shortly after the battle, presumably before they would be able to do anything significant in reaction.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh yeah.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Xion being such a forgettable uninspired character is actually a really bold design choice because it helps us relate to Roxas in that last scene.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't dislike Xion, I guess, but her character is so aggressively unnecessary that it becomes annoying to think about what this game could have been without her.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't dislike Xion, I guess, but her character is so aggressively unnecessary that it becomes annoying to think about what this game could have been without her.

In a way, Xion and her plotline can be seen as an indictment of Xenmas and his love of complex plans. Why have one moving part (Roxas), when you can have two (+Xion). Sure, backups and redundancy are fine, but how he goes about it just makes me think that he has no idea how this particular plan is actually supposed to work, and is just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. And then retroactively claiming it was all part of the plan.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Considering DDD, that sounds exactly like something Xehanort would do.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Here it is. The final day.

Music: Critical Drive

Finally, on our final day, we get to dual-wield.

Welcome to the final mission. The only mission where we get to dual-wield and explore The World that Never Was.

The Neoshadows all die in 1 hit.

Dual-wielding Roxas has his own combo. The Y branch for ground combo lets us continue to aerial combo while the Y branch for aerial combo ends it earlier.

Of course, there's still badges to collect. There's just 2 areas in this mission, but once we've gone to the second we can't go back here.

Music stops
Video: Skyscraper Battle & Roxas and Riku

As Roxas walks towards The Castle that Never Was...

Neoshadows appear.

It's finally time to reenact Another Side, Another Story. At least the Deep Dive version. We all know that the original version is no longer accurate in many ways.

Music: Critical Drive

Naturally, the first thing we do is stand still and wait for the Neoshadows to hit Roxas until the yellow HP. It takes longer than it should've.

And here's our final badge in the game. We still haven't collected some in past missions, but still.

Anyway, this is the reason we let ourselves get hit. This Limit is only available for dual-wielding Roxas and this is the only time it can be used in the story mode.

It's about as dangerous as Xion's attack during her final form, which is not at all. Really, it's more style than substance, considering it has the same problems as Thundara.

Music: Another Side Another Story (or maybe it's the one that's coming up later. I honestly don't know which one)

Oh hi, Riku. You've basically been the most successful person in this game (though that's not really a high praise).

Like in the movie, Roxas goes after Riku. Unlike in the movie, there's no Neoshadows chasing behind him.

It makes this part looks less like Roxas giving Oblivion to Riku and more like Roxas trying to use Strike Raid.

...Only for him to grab it for himself instead. Strike Raid really got shafted in this game, huh?

You guys got a point about it having multiple variants in other games, though, so this is deserved.

Soon after, Riku remembers something.

That's right, folks. He doesn't reminisce about Sora while falling, he reminisce about Xion instead.

They pass by each other...

And arrive at their respective destination.

After that, Roxas immediately jumps back down. I don't know what they were actually trying to do here. Even Nomura admitted that he didn't think about the context when making it originally.

Together, they beat the Neoshadows. No, we don't actually get to have Riku as a partner for this section.

They both jump back so that we can have some actual dialogue between Roxas and Riku.

Video stops here
New Music: Another Side -Battle Ver.-

Fun fact: The game uses the same portrait for both hooded Riku and Roxas.

What does it matter? I'm here for you.

:stonk: That sounds wrong in many ways.

Why are you trying to stop me?
Because I want back the rest of Sora's memories.
Sora, Sora, Sora! Enough about Sora!
Do you have some kind of plan?
I'm going to set Kingdom Hearts free! Then everything can go back to the way it was! Me, and Axel, and...her can go on having ice cream together...
Her? You mean Xion? It's a struggle just to remember the name now, isn't it? Either way, I can't let you go doing anything crazy.

You call that crazy? You've been away from Sora for far too long. :colbert:

I have to find this Sora person, and freeing Kingdom Hearts is the only way! I want Xion back. I want my life back!
If you try and make contact with Kingdom Hearts, the last thing you'll get is your life back.
The Organization will destroy you.

I'm pretty sure we can handle it. The game itself, on the other hand...

Shut up!

You know, Riku, if you've talked to Roxas in addition to Xion this wouldn't happen.

That said, this is the one of the few scenes that definitely NEED to happen, so I guess that's Nomura's fault.

Boss: Riku

Anyway, we're now reenacting the KH2 portion of Deep Dive. You might notice that Roxas doesn't actually hit Riku here.

This is because Riku's actually blocking here. We can just go around behind him to attack.

Physical attacks works well against him. You know, when he isn't blocking.

Obviously, Riku has a physical combo of his own. It's not a threat.

Riku also has Dark Firaga. It's just like Fire which will home at us, but we can dodge it pretty easily. Or we can use Thundaga while he's casting it to cancel it. Good thing Riku doesn't have Magic Bracer :v:

After reducing Riku's HP, he will power up.

If we attack him from the front while he's blocking, he will counterattack. This will also happen before he powered up.

His power up mostly affect his physical combo. He won't get staggered after his powered up, so aerial attacks are better now.

It's worth mentioning that we're forced to use Oathkeeper in this fight, with its own combo. Its aerial combo is just 2 hits, so it's fast and he won't run off before we finish.

He does gain new attacks, though. One of them is Helm Split. Unlike Re:CoM, there's no extra shockwave after the final hit. Dodge Roll works well here.

Of course, Riku isn't complete without his signature attack.

We can use Dodge Roll to avoid his Dark Aura. This is actually Riku's Limit, which we can use when we're playing as him in Mission Mode.

And remember what I said about Limits?

It doesn't make you invincible, so we're able to do poo poo like this.

Music stops
Video: Riku Turns Into Ansem, After the Battle, A New Day

Why do you have the Keyblade?

This makes absolutely no sense in the context of this game. It's just here because it was in KH2.

Shut up! *attacks Riku*

Music: Riku

I have a feeling that while Riku doesn't hate Xion, he actually hates Roxas. Just a hunch.

Why don't you quit?
Come on, Sora. I thought you were stronger than that.
Get real. Look which one of us is winning.

Roxas is surprised at what he just said.

So it's true. You really are his Nobody. Guess DiZ was right after all.

Again, he should've known this for months now.

What are you talking about? I am me.

:downsrim:

*Roxas attacks Riku again*

Riku, please! You have to stop him!

There's just the voice with subtitles on the bottom screen (not shown in the video). It's either Kairi's or Namine's voice. I can't tell. Mostly because they have the same VA.

How many times do I have to beat you?
All right. You've left me with no other choice.
What?
I have to release the power in my heart-

Even if it changes me forever.

Wow, that's just :flaccid:

Music stops

We move on to the second part of the video. This one has a weird bug in the emulator where the subtitles are delayed.

DiZ...he could feel Sora.
Oh, he told you how he "felt," did he? Ridiculous. A Nobody cannot feel anything.
If he had met Sora, things might have been different.

Or if you had told him everything like how you told Xion everything.

Music: Roxas

Roxas, don't be sad. I came from you and Sora. I am you the same way that I am Sora. You'll forget me, but the memories themselves will never go away. Memories of you and me will always be together forever, inside me.

Honestly, I can't tell if it's Xion or Namine or Kairi. Mostly because they have the same VA.

Also, there's another bug here. For some reason the game will hang if we let this scene play until the end, but it progress just fine if we skip this scene. I have no idea why this happened.

Music stops

-1 days left.

Maybe...today we'll finally hit the beach!

Music: Sanctuary

What are you going to do there. Take ...? Too bad SE don't bother making any beach here, though :effort:

Only seven days to go, and then my summer vacation's over.

Video stops here

So, yeah. That's Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. I like that they tried to change the gameplay. The idea of using missions are nice, but the worlds aren't large enough to avoid it being repetitive. The various recolored Heartless don't help. It just reeks of :effort:

The story, however, is really not the strong point of this game. The Disney worlds are basically useless. To be fair, that's also the case for other games (beside KH1). I really hope Disney will actually let Nomura involve Disney characters other than Micky, Donald, and Goofy in KH3.

The friendship part of the plot is a prime example for why communication is important. Riku basically convinces Xion just by talking to her (and beating her that one time).

The bosses in this game are...varied. Guard Armor, Leechgrave, Ruler of the Sky, and Xion (phase 2 and 3) are extremely bad bosses for reasons I've explained before.

The magic is easily the strongest part of the game. Having different effects for different tiers of it makes the earlier ones viable and some of them are fun to play with.

I like the panel system, but I'm certainly in the minority here. It's certainly not what you'd think of when you think about KH's gameplay.

Anyway, that's it for the story. There's no secret movies or anything here, sadly.

This LP, however, is not over yet. There's still more things to cover in this game.

For example, there's Mission Mode. It's the only place we get to see Xemnas, Saix, or Lexaeus in action there.

There's also the challenges. :suicide:

More importantly, we still have a few badges and treasures to collect with a few missions we've yet to fully complete.

And finally, I'll show off all the available weapons in this game at the end of the LP. It's the one part of the game where they went :effortless:

So if you managed to get this far, thank you for reading this LP.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Good LP my man, extra props to you for going through such an...interesting game. Now you just gotta do the other dozen or so before January 29th.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Time for a Re:Coded Let's Play. :v:

1234567890num posted:

Finally, on our final day, we get to dual-wield.

In all fairness, Kingdom Hearts II had Axel imply he never saw Roxas do that before during the second boss fight.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Well, we're getting Xion and VentusRoxas back for KH3, so this game is probably a little more important to the whole metaplot than first surmised.

This is also one of the few KH games I've never 100%'d. So it will be interesting to see how far you go before you just say 'that's enough'.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

TheLoneStar posted:

Good LP my man, extra props to you for going through such an...interesting game. Now you just gotta do the other dozen or so before January 29th.

Thanks. And I'll be surprised if I manage to complete all the challenges in this game by that time, let alone do the other games.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Time for a Re:Coded Let's Play. :v:

In all fairness, Kingdom Hearts II had Axel imply he never saw Roxas do that before during the second boss fight.

No promises about Re:Coded LP since I enjoyed Re:Coded a lot less than this game, gently caress the debugging mechanic :argh:

And yes, I know that's foreshadowed. I'm just sad we don't get to dual-wield more.

berryjon posted:

Well, we're getting Xion and VentusRoxas back for KH3, so this game is probably a little more important to the whole metaplot than first surmised.

This is also one of the few KH games I've never 100%'d. So it will be interesting to see how far you go before you just say 'that's enough'.

DDD just screams "Hey people, Roxas and Xion and Axel Lea are important! Remember them! :derp:". It's actually more surprising if they manage to make Re:Coded important.

Which KH games do you 100%d? I remember ALL of them (except KH1 and KH2) being tedious in their own right. KH1 and KH2 just seem tame by comparison since the whole Gummi Ship minigame isn't in the Jiminy Journal.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I liked Re:Coded. Sorta. Data Sora was well-written and likable.

I did not like the fact that it was ANOTHER side game that rehashed Kingdom Hearts I and introduced few new enemies. Also, no Data Kairi for no good reason.

Though it was the only American game you could fight Roxas in for a while, so there's that.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I did not like the fact that it was ANOTHER side game that rehashed Kingdom Hearts I and introduced few new enemies. Also, no Data Kairi for no good reason.

Though it was the only American game you could fight Roxas in for a while, so there's that.

The plot skipping straight from Agrabah to Hollow Bastion do caught me off guard, which is a nice surprise. Data Sora was well written until his memory is wiped. Then he just obeys Mickey and goes to Castle Oblivion because :iiam:

Also, do you guys want to see me do Mission Mode with other characters or should I just do it offscreen?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the memory wipe was unfortunate.

Feel free to handle it offscreen. After showing off the other limit breaks, if we haven't seen those yet!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I would never ask someone to do all of mission mode on- or off-screen, but it'd be cool to show off the other characters and what they can do. There's a bafflingly large amount of effort put into every playable character given that everyone but Roxas gets to be a useless sidekick at best in the story mode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Honestly the only important part of Coded (so far anyway) is the secret ending and even that gets repeated at the start of DDD.

Sort of sad it was re-released as a movie rather than getting the HD/Final Mix treatment as the gameplay is arguably the best part of Coded. I especially liked how they changed up the gameplay style whenever you entered a Keyhole but it's a pity it only happens 3 times (a side scroller in Traverse Town, an on rails shooting section in Wonderland and a turn based RPG in the Olympus Colosseum). It even brought back the ability to meld commands like you could in BBS (sort of anyway).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 19, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Welcome back. Now that we've completed the game, we're promoted to Legend rank :toot:.

Now you can pick up a new item at the shop called "The King's Return," kupo!

New rank means new items at the shop. We buy these two things. Like Gloomex said, we unlock Mickey by completing all missions, not by just completing the game.

There's actually 2 Slot Releasers on sale, but the second one is too expensive for us.

Instead, we buy this LV Quadrupler and the various LV+. High Jump LV+ is the main source of today's update.

We also buy Zero Gear and the Units. Zero Gear is a special weapon.

We're not going to use it now, though. I want to give Omega Gear+ some spotlight.

And I forgot to equip the LV Quadrupler :negative:

Anyway, in this update we're just going to collect everything that was unavailable because we didn't have High Jump LV+.

Video: Mission 25
Music: Sinister Sundown

As a reminder, here's the location of the emblems. Just watch the video to see the route I took.

The hardest emblem to get is this one by far. There's only one spot in the whole area where we're high enough to be able to grab it.

Otherwise, this mission is a piece of cake now that we've got better mobility than way back then.

Now it's time to :black101: because we can. And because we kinda need some Hearts right now.

Video stops here
Music: Crossing the Finish Line

:flaccid:

Music: A Day in Agrabah
Music: Arabian Dream

Ah, our final mission with Xaldin.

Just assume I'm killing all the Heartless offscreen, including these armor Heartless and the other Large Armors.

Getting up there is tricky. First, we need to get up to this small bit here. Standing on the yellow part won't work.

From there we can barely grab the ledge up there to get the rest of the treasures. It's kinda finnicky but not too bad.

These chests has an Elixir and Sight Unit (L). Not bad but not worth the endgame barrier.

Our next item takes place in...this mission. :sigh:

Music: This is Halloween
Music: Spooks of Halloween Town

At least we can use magic now that we don't need to worry about the actual Leechgrave.

I could've sworn I got this badge the first time through :shrug:

6 treasure? I could've sworn I grabbed 7.

Anyway, this was the mission with 2 Solid Armors and loads of Loudmouths.

Yes, I remember saying that I'd grab this chest offscreen. And I remembered doing that. Eh, whatever :shrug:

The rest of the Heartless are up here, which can be reached the same way as before. The chests has Sliding Dash (3) and Curaga Recipe. One is more useful than the other.

And that's the mission. It shames me to say that I spent 5 minutes looking for Loudmouths I missed or any Heartless on the upper level while the ones I missed are 2 Fire Plants on the lower level :doh:

The Hearts multiplier really do make a difference. Also, I want to point out for no particualar reason that we got exactly 666 Hearts.

Music: Rowdy Rumble

The Unity Badge is right above our starting position but was too high to grab. We can fight the Dusks just fine and I'm not going to wait for the Samurais to appear to see if we can fight them. Next!

Just go up to the upper level using the same method as before and then glide.

Fighting the Invisible doesn't give any Hearts, but it does give a synthesis material that we can't get elsewhere.

The reason we need Hearts now is to buy this ring. For reference, after the shopping spree at the beginning of this update, I had 3000 Hearts.

And now is a good time to talk about Zero Gear. You see, it has a special property. This is Zero Gear with no Ability Unit.

This is Zero Gear with 1 Ability Unit.

And this is Zero Gear with 2 Ability Units. Yeah, the Keyblade changes depending on the number of Ability Units equipped. And the combo changes too.

This is the only way we can wield Oathkeeper and Two Become One. Roxas can't wield just Obilivion, sadly.

Using 3 Ability Units loops it back to Kingdom Key+, which is fine because it has the highest stats of them all. The abilities are Defender (increases Def when low on HP), Damage Control a.k.a. Critical Half (halves damage on low HP), and Second Chance. It's very...defensive.

Second chance is tempting, but we need to go full on offensive to make THE boss more bearable. With 4 Sight Units and Critical Sun, we now have 46% Critical % and 77 Crit Bonus along with Critical Boost (enables critical hits with any attacks, not just combo finishers).

It's time, folks. We've done everything we can in other missions. Now it's time to face the ultimate enemy.

Video: Mission 89
Music: Tension Rising

Of course, we need to fight the other 6 giant Heartless again.

We're a lot stronger now, so they go down pretty quickly.

All of the normal Heartless can be killed in 1 combo.

That said, we still can't get careless. Auto-Life has to save me here because of it. :sweatdrop:

Yes, I know I'm showing the moment where I got hit by the attacks. Just watch the video to see me go through them a lot more quickly than last time.

Fun fact: Guard Armor and Powered Armor can only be killed when they're collapsed. Otherwise, they'll stay at 1 HP. Just one more strike against them.

Before we fight the Dustflier, we need to die first. We need that Auto-Life.

After that, I'm going to ACTUALLY USE AN ELIXIR :aaaaa:

Optional Boss: Dustflier (Same video as before)
Music: Fight and Away

Anyway, Dustflier. It has a grand total of 3 attacks. All of them are started by this huge shockwave that drains over half of our HP if hit and causes a random status effect. Glide works well to avoid it, but jumping over it won't work.

Its first attack is a backflip that reduces most of our HP if it hits us in addition to causing a random status effect. It is also the easiest one to dodge. Just make sure you don't run into it before it finishes this attack.

[img]https://lpix.org/3325838/dustflier%203.png[/igm]

Its second attack is a charge. It deals a little lass than half our HP and causes Air-toss. It's by far the least dangerous attack.

Its third attack is fireballs. This is the most dangerous attack because it can stunlock and kill us. It's also vulnerable for less time compared to other attacks. Dodge Roll works best for this one.

Worth noting that if the fireballs hit the awning of the station, it will explode there. It's not really something we can exploit, but it's a nice bonus.

So our strategy? Hit it with aerial combos and hope for critical hits. It has a huge defense that normal attacks won't do anything. It's basically the only reason we jacked up our Critical % and Crit Bonus, really.

Technically we can use magic to snipe it from afar, but the damage is very low so don't even bother doing that.

Not shown: The previous attempts where I used 3 Ability Units for Second Chance and got killed after reducing it to 2 HP bars. Over the course of 10 minutes. :negative:

Fun fact: This is our second enemy that drops Premium Orbs, the other being Sky Grapplers in the second Games.

Video stops here

And that's ALL missions fully completed! :toot:

God, Dustflier was tedious. It's even more tedious than Ruler of the Sky, and that's saying something. I'm torn on whether it's better or worse than Holey Moley.

At least we can all agree that Mysterious Figure is still the worst boss overall :v:

Now you can pick up a new item at the shop called "Sora's Awakening," kupo!

This is our reward for completely completing all missions. The ability to play as Sora. Yay. :geno:

I mean, we kinda had that ability for all previous games (plus DDD), so it's not THAT special.

And finally, we have the Secret Reports. You might remember them being mentioned at the start of this update.

It's basically reports written by other members. There's no indication of who wrote it, but we can guess from the contents. Different reports have different writers.

They're unlocked by doing challenges. So...yeah. That's the reason I've been doing them in the first place. We only need to get one sigil to unlock them, but I have savestates, so I should be fine. Right? :shepicide:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Technical truths are the best kind.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Dearly Beloved

Welcome back to Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. Today marks the day where my commentary will be in normal text, considering that there's no more dialogue in the game.

This time we're going to be looking at Mission Mode. It's the place the developer went :effortless: on.

This is the first time I show the save/load screen. Well, here it is. Obviously, Guest Play is only available here.

New Music: Cavern of Remembrance

:stare: We have a LOT of characters to choose from. The original Organization XIII are unlocked from the start and are the only ones playable if we picked Guest Play earlier.

Roxas' gameplay is exactly the same as the main game. You know, because we played as him.

Larxene attacks quickly, but her attacks are so weak it still deals not that much damage. Her magic is nice, so she's still great, though.

Marluxia is a good choice. Nothing really special about him.

Luxord isn't bad on paper, but his limit SUCKS.

Demyx is kind of similar to Luxord. At least his limit is much better.

Same deal with Axel. Really, these three are middling choices.

Saix mostly relies on Critical Hits, which is a good thing because it is now the best way to deal damage (relatively) quickly.

Zexion is a pure mage. He's the best mage in the game :science:

Lexaeus is a beast and the best character in the game :allears:

Vexen is...eh. The enemy levels in the endgame missions in this mode are jacked up, so magic isn't a good way to kill them anymore. Unless you're hitting a weakness, in which case Zexion is the better character for the job.[/i]

Same deal with Xaldin. Honestly, most of these characters don't have anything that unique to offer.

Xigbar is by far the most unique character in terms of gameplay. He has a bullet count, which means we have to reload when it runs out. There's no way to manually reload before then.

Sadly, he has the same problem as Larxene but even worse, so he's also not worth using. I think they're better as support if you're playing with actual people, but I don't have that option.

Xemnas is more like Marluxia than the other mediocre ones. He's actually quite good, but still not as beastly as Lexaeus.

Riku is unlocked on Day 172 (After beating Infernal Engine). He's basically Saix's lite version. He does have the "honor" of being the only character not to have any innate resistance. The organization members all have resistance to their elements while the rest have innate light resistance.

Donald is unlocked on Day 225 (After beating Guard Armor). He's basically a worse Zexion. Sure, his magic is better, but he's worse at the other things that actually matter. Plus, his physical combo is awful :cripes:

Let's just say that there's a reason Donald spend most of KH1 and KH2 dead.

Goofy is unlocked on Day 296 (After beating Crimson Prankster). He's basically Lexaeus' lite version. Not as much of a beast as Lexaeus, but he's not bad.

Mickey is unlocked after buying an item that appears after we complete all missions. I don't have much to say about him, really.

Sora is unlocked after buying an item that appears after we fully complete all missions. He's straight up has the same stats as Roxas. He does have a different combo and Limit, though, so he's not just a carbon copy.

That is more than what I can say for this Mysterious Girl here. She's a character that appears in DDD but has her debut hidden here. I guess the developers are just too :effort: to give her a unique moveset, which is fair considering we know nothing about her. She's unlocked on Day 117 (after beating Antlion).

In conclusion, here's the character I would recommend to be used here:
  • Xemnas
  • Lexaeus
  • Zexion
  • Saix
  • Marluxia
  • Larxene
  • Riku
  • Goofy

We can use the ones not on this list, they just won't be as strong. Don't ever use Donald/Xigbar, though.

We're going to roll with Xemnas for this run. The bottom screen is pretty much the same as story mode except the name of the weapon is different (obviously).

The top screen, however, has some new options. Shop lets us access the Moogle Shop from here. Character lets us change characters. Mission Config is what it says on the tin. It is very different from Story Mode, though.

The first two screen of options are exactly the same as Story Mode.

The third screen, instead of changing the AI behavior, changes the mission restrictions instead. You know, if you're not enough of a masochist that finishing the entire Mission Mode and Challenge Missions aren't enough for you.

A non masochist wouldn't bother with those modes beyond the first 20 minutes in the first place.

The fourth screen deals with player-to-player interactions, or at least that's what they said. I can't actually confirm them for myself, though.

The final option here are actually unlockable by completing all missions here. The RTC Countdown is best set to 30. What is that, you ask? Well, it'll be explained later.

The Lives are best set to 5 so we can die 4 times without any consequence in addition to Auto-Life.

Anyway, we have a new mission. This one, like the briefing said, is just a tutorial.

Well, let's go outside.

Meet our new addition: The gate.

Going through the gate resets the Heartless, which is important because on my playthrough, I touched it accidentally plenty of times and the Heartless I was fighting got all of their HP back. :suicide:

On the bright side, dying won't reset their HP, so we can die 4 times without any issue :dance:

There's boxes and CoM's EXP gems scattered across town. Wonder what it is?

Oh, I see. So this is the kind of coop multiplayer where people sabotage each other. Got it.

Getting first place gives us more Mission Crowns after we completed the mission. Of course, with only one person, these prizes don't actually matter.

By the way, Xemnas doesn't walk or run. He glides.

Anyway, we eventually defeat the Scarlet Tangos and complete the mission.

There's that RTC countdown. Wonder what it's for?

Oh, another multiplayer mechanic that's seemingly useless for single players. Got it.

Because this isn't an actual mission, we don't get any Crowns :smith:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Lexaeus is a beast and the best character in the game :allears:

Xehanort is a fool for not recruiting him for Kingdom Hearts III.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Xemnas sucks as a choice in most missions because his air combo is just firing down at the ground. Its nearly impossible to hit any flying enemy with it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

grandalt posted:

Xemnas sucks as a choice in most missions because his air combo is just firing down at the ground. Its nearly impossible to hit any flying enemy with it.

I don't think I have this is true. Then again, I'm using Zero Gear, so this might be the case for other weapons.

Who's that? :v:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Cavern of Remembrance

Just a short update to show the rest of Mission Mode. We're skipping to after we complete all of the available missions.

Some notes about these missions:
  • Some enemies are spawned less at a time, probably for hardware reasons.
  • Other enemies are downright removed, such as Xigbar.
  • Because of these, the number of shadow globs have been reduced. Makes those mission more tolerable, even if it makes finding them in Neverland much harder.
  • Agrabah platforming is so much easier with High Jump and Glide.
  • Halloween Town Heartless hunting doesn't have Zero anymore :smith:
  • Pausing doesn't stop the game.
  • The 30 second countdown is extremely useful in Wonderland when the Sapphire Elegies (:argh:) stops me from RTCing.
  • Lexaeus can kill a Tentaclaw in 2 combos, but with the death mechanic here we can just go straight to Leechgrave without much issue.
  • gently caress Ruler of the Sky. Magic is obviously not enough to kill it, Lexaeus is too slow, and even with Saix he's still tedious.
  • Mission 82 doesn't halve our level this time. Spiked Crawler can only be fully fought here. The game takes mercy on us by not having us hit the boxes. This mission is the best way to get Gear Component D.
  • Donald can't hit barrels accurately. Good to know.
  • Mission 88 a.k.a. the first mission with Orcus (the one where Saix somehow uses illusions) is now just a normal mission.
  • gently caress Mission 89. I went through the gate too many times, including right after I break most of Powered Armor :suicide:
  • Mission 91 starts us off right at the final area.
  • We're fighting Anti-Saix and Anti-Riku instead of regular Saix and Riku.
  • Donald's and Goofy's glide animation is the same as their swimming animation.

I didn't show it before, but we can finally make Megalixirs now. They're exactly the same as Elixirs since we're playing alone, but we can just make both.

I made this ring to help with Mission 89. It lets us use Limit indefinitely. Spoiler: It doesn't help.

On another note, you can see that there's rings with naming similar to the members' elements.

All of them adds 30 defense and 100% resistance to that particular element. Note that "resistance" in this case only applies to that element's status ailment/special effect.

After completing all missions on this mode, we unlock this item.

It unlocks the final option in Mission Mode. This option pretty much exists so it's easier for me to show off the Limits, since quite a lot of them are hard to pull off. I'll actually do that later.

Anyway, with that done, let's look at our spoils.

Mission Crowns Rewards posted:

30: 10 Panaceas
35: 2 Curas
40: 2 Blizzaras
45: Slot Releaser
50: 10 Hi-Potions
55: 10 Hi-Ethers
60: Mystery Gear (3) (This is a special gear, similar to Casual Gear)
65: Slot Releaser
70: 10 Elixirs (:stare:)
75: 5 Limit Recharges
80: 3 Aeroras (Looks like we're getting some without synthesizing after all)
85: Slot Releaser
90: 10 Mega-Potions
100: 10 Mega-Ethers
110: Ultimate Gear (6)
120: 5 Megalixirs (:allears:)
130: Aeroga (Just one?)
140: Premium Orb
150: Sliding Dash LV+ (L)
160: Crimson Blood (This is just another accessory)
170: Power Unit (L)
180: 2 Adamantites
190: Magic Unit (L)
200: Rune Ring
220: LV Quadrupler (3) (We're definitely using this)
240: Guard Unit (L)
260: LV Doubler (6) (We don't even have any Level Up left after the LV Quadrupler)
280: Slot Releaser
358: Master's Circle

You might notice that we have 320 crowns after completing all missions but the final reward needs 358 of them, so we need to get more.

That's why we're going to redo missions.

This one is the easiest since we pretty much only have to wait for one minute. These dusks have no chance against the beast that is Lexaeus.

And we get a whopping 1 (one) crown from it. So we have to do this 38 times. Hooray. :sigh:

Oh, and if you're wondering, doing the missions the first time gives us 3-4 for normal missions and 8-10 for bosses, so I didn't skip 320 missions (not that there's even that many in the first place).

Eventually, we get our reward, which gives full immunity to status ailments/special effects but with lovely abilities. Perma-Plight prevents healing during critical health (you know, when you need healing the most) while Risky Plays deals damage to us for every missed attack.

Yeah, :flaccid: is an apt description for this one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sad.

Donald and Goofy's Limits are the ones they have from KH2, right?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Here's the next challenge update. I don't know if anyone's actually reading these, but I don't blame them.

Also, I'll post the secret reports and repost the corresponding diary entries gradually. I'll post the first batch as soon as we get to the next page.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Donald and Goofy's Limits are the ones they have from KH2, right?

Yes. I'll get around to showing them off sometime in the future.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 30, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How do you make a game with such a large roster of characters and then make playing as them such an unpleasant chore? :(

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

By not letting them be playable only in one mode.

It's sad that most people won't be bothering with the 17 other playable characters (I'm not counting Xion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Such a bad grind. Yeugh.

Oh, and to answer your question, I didn't finish the Hollow Bastion Data section to get the last Keyblade. Nor did I get all the Dream Eaters.

And I also discovered that the KH1 achievements on the PS3 for beating the game don't give you credit for the easier difficulties. So my Critical run only counted for Critical and not for anything easier. So I did my Easy run as also the no-equipment-changes one.