Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I used to listen to this song over and over. I had it on casingle, and I remember one day forgetting to bring another tape so I only had that to listen to. There's something 90s as gently caress, making sure you brought enough tapes for that long rear end car trip. Getting stuck with that one mix tape you recorded off the radio is not fun.

Though something I wish i had had back then, podcasts. Like god drat driving from Nova Scotia to Boston or Washington would have been bareable if I had a bunch of Greatest Generation, Talking Simpsons or Flop House to listen to.

this was something else I listened to a lot. After getting the Album, they had a lot of songs about how big their dicks were.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9F5xcpjDMU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Did this with both cassettes and CDs. Big piles of em.

Also I like the aesthetic of hip-hop videos from that time. Look at this gospel dude being hip which I casually saw on a Christian channel while looking for something interesting to watch on my grandma's satellite receiver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzaLqn2Qtgo

Negostrike has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Dec 29, 2018

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

twistedmentat posted:

I used to listen to this song over and over. I had it on casingle, and I remember one day forgetting to bring another tape so I only had that to listen to. There's something 90s as gently caress, making sure you brought enough tapes for that long rear end car trip. Getting stuck with that one mix tape you recorded off the radio is not fun.

Though something I wish i had had back then, podcasts. Like god drat driving from Nova Scotia to Boston or Washington would have been bareable if I had a bunch of Greatest Generation, Talking Simpsons or Flop House to listen to.

this was something else I listened to a lot. After getting the Album, they had a lot of songs about how big their dicks were.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9F5xcpjDMU

Big CD wallets that could hold 20 or so albums - the most 90s thing I can think of.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EvilGenius posted:

Big CD wallets that could hold 20 or so albums - the most 90s thing I can think of.

I remember I had a couple of those and I used them for my PS1 games.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Negrostrike posted:

Also I like the aesthetic of hip-hop videos from that time. Look at this gospel dude being hip which I casually saw on a Christian channel while looking for something interesting to watch on my grandma's satellite receiver:

Carman was never hip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovq6gP2x9vc

FBS has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Dec 29, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's a 90s videogame ad for some jrpg that was a two page spread. It had a house with an overgrown lawn, newspapers in the ground, a dog that's all skin and bones laying in the grass. The message it had was the jrpg would make you forget life.

I can't remember what the game was though. I want to say Shadow Madness?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Everyone I know who was old enough to drive during the 90s has a story about loading 50 or so CDs into one of those giant binders and then having it stolen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Negrostrike posted:

Yea I'd have piles of them made for trips. Cassette cases were really annoying to take around because they were so bulky. CD wallets though were much better. But then I didn't have a portable cd player until 2000, so all the cds I had I copies onto cassettes so I could take them around.

And yea, Rap and Hip Hop videos before the bling era had a real feel to them, then we get tons of high production expensive cars and krystal being drunk videos.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Imagined posted:

Everyone I know who was old enough to drive during the 90s has a story about loading 50 or so CDs into one of those giant binders and then having it stolen.

Mine were stolen in 2001 but close enough.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Imagined posted:

Someone broke into my sister's car and stole three tennis balls and a gallon of vinegar, but left all her CDs because she had terrible taste.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Imagined posted:

My wife did, except they took the time to browse through the thing and pick the albums they wanted. That's so dim I'm amazed they didn't get caught, if not for that then something later down the line.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I've been nostalgic for the 90s over this holiday break. Are there any decent documentaries on Youtube that distills this thread into a single video?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

fappenmeister posted:

I've been nostalgic for the 90s over this holiday break. Are there any decent documentaries on Youtube that distills this thread into a single video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7GmolHTd4

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Knew a guy who put a PC with a cartridge-style pentium II into the trunk of his car just so he could play music off the hard drive. Ran it off an inverter and wrote a script that would immediately load up winamp with a randomized playlist. It was okay. If he hit a pothole the thing would reboot.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Knew a guy who put a PC with a cartridge-style pentium II into the trunk of his car just so he could play music off the hard drive. Ran it off an inverter and wrote a script that would immediately load up winamp with a randomized playlist. It was okay. If he hit a pothole the thing would reboot.

I knew someone who did the same thing with a similar setup, iirc. 15 years ago I thought it was the coolest thing to have all those mp3s on the go!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It feels to me like cars don't get broken into nearly as much as they used to. Like stereos getting stolen isn't really a thing anymore. With alarms, RFID tags, engine locks, the decline of aftermarket stereo equipment, no one carrying easily pawnable CDs anymore....

Last time someone broke into our car was almost 15 years ago and all they got was the change in the ashtray. Fuckers. If they'd knocked on my door I'd have given them more than that just to avoid replacing the window.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Break ins are as much a thing as they always have been where I live. They're not stealing stereos anymore, but they're still after sunglasses, loose change and whatever else is in a car. Lots of tailgates being stolen off newer trucks and last week a guy was in the news because someone stole the entire hatch off his hatchback.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Back in 2002 someone stole the hardtop off my sister's 1991 Suzuki Sidekick because at that point, the hardtop was worth more than the car itself. She had to use the summer softtop in the middle of winter in Northern Ontario. That was not a fun winter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Imagined posted:

It feels to me like cars don't get broken into nearly as much as they used to. Like stereos getting stolen isn't really a thing anymore. With alarms, RFID tags, engine locks, the decline of aftermarket stereo equipment, no one carrying easily pawnable CDs anymore....

Last time someone broke into our car was almost 15 years ago and all they got was the change in the ashtray. Fuckers. If they'd knocked on my door I'd have given them more than that just to avoid replacing the window.

Some rear end in a top hat broke into my car a couple weeks ago.

Just took the money i had for tolls, left my gps and headphones.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

A few years ago I forgot to lock my truck one night (parked in the driveway behind the house). A couple hours later I went out to my truck to see two teens go running from the vehicle with the interior lights on and doors open. They tore the glovebox and console apart and threw stuff everywhere. They made off with a broken iphone 4 (wifi only, cell capability poo poo out) but chose not to take the 200 cd book sitting on the rear floor or the stack of dvds stuffed in the seat pouches. 10 years ago those discs would've been gone for sure.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Imagined posted:

Depends where you are I guess. Care break ins are incredibly common in San Francisco. Breaking a window is very easy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

When I owned my first car - a Ford Contour - I was gifted an in-car CD changer. It was trunk-mounted and held 10 cds. When I wrecked the car a few years later, I opted not to try to salvage the CD changer.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
How about some gee-whiz 90s CGI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlqJ0-OfLE

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
^^^^ Have an entire thread of 90s CGI.

Bloopsy posted:

A few years ago I forgot to lock my truck one night (parked in the driveway behind the house). A couple hours later I went out to my truck to see two teens go running from the vehicle with the interior lights on and doors open. They tore the glovebox and console apart and threw stuff everywhere. They made off with a broken iphone 4 (wifi only, cell capability poo poo out) but chose not to take the 200 cd book sitting on the rear floor or the stack of dvds stuffed in the seat pouches. 10 years ago those discs would've been gone for sure.

They probably didn't know what they were. Worthless old people things.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Dec 30, 2018

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

gently caress I despise this film. Tries so drat hard to be as cool as Waynes World was but presents a bunch of insufferable wanks instead.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpetersen/how-empire-records-became-the-unlikely-film-of-a-generation

I always liked it, even if it's not necessarily a good movie. Always thought it was trying way too hard to ape indie movies about slackers than a big corporate thing like wayne's world.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's alright, but Wayne's World (and the sequel) are both better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could never get through the second one. Weren't they going to make a Sprockets movie too?

Touch my monkey!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Here's an article from 2011 about cancelled SNL movies:
https://www.vulture.com/2011/09/the-snl-movies-that-never-happened.html

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mu Zeta posted:

Depends where you are I guess. Care break ins are incredibly common in San Francisco. Breaking a window is very easy.

There was a story a month or two back about a local San Fran news team doing a story about the rash of car break ins. While they were inside interviewing a victim the news van was broken into and they stole about $20k in broadcasting equipment.

Edit: Sure it's current events but the irony involved is 90s as gently caress.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

fappenmeister posted:

https://youtu.be/xW3IsjEA6Bg

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Davros1 posted:

Here's an article from 2011 about cancelled SNL movies:
https://www.vulture.com/2011/09/the-snl-movies-that-never-happened.html

That was really interesting. For some reason I forgot all those SNL movies came out in the 90s. I remember kind of liking Night At the Roxberry.

I had to look up the Empire Records soundtrack, and its kind lame, in that way mainstream rock was in the 90s. Lots of soft rock stuff with an image of being grunge. Edward Collins is an exception.

Gin Blossoms? Really? That's the kind of music you hear at the grocery store.

I has nothing on like Trainspotting, Singles or even Romeo + Juliette.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

It doesn't get much more 90's than Lunchables teaming up with Sega Genesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMkftepRD9E

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ZDar Fan posted:

It doesn't get much more 90's than Lunchables teaming up with Sega Genesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMkftepRD9E

I feel like the entire decade of the 90s was just tilted 20 degrees.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Romeo + Juliette was loving terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

One interesting one is the soundtrack to The Last Action Hero because it's like the last gasp of 80s hard rock. The biggest hit single from it was a Def Leppard song.

I recently rewatched some Todd In the Shadows videos from a couple of years ago and in one of them he mentioned that grunge didn't just clear out hair metal; it also did away with a lot (not all - R.E.M. survived and thrived - but a lot) of pre-grunge alternative rock.