Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Brave New World posted:

Always do the epic.

Yeah, this is completely accurate. Coincidentally, I've been logging on for the last few nights, and the character I'm concentrating on just started in Western Rohan - pretty much the worst content in the entire game. I must really want those extra trait points.

If you pretend the Epic Battles don't exist, I actually liked a lot of the zone stories in West Rohan. Shame about the failure to stick the landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

While I'm still sorting out the changes made to Beornings, I will say I have never laughed so hard in the game to be one of the actors on the Frostbluff stage in bear form and just roaring my lines with two other beornings doing the same thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brave New World posted:

Always do the epic.

Always avoid the epic whenever possible. It's usually dumb, the rewards are unremarkable (and will be obsolete in no time), and progression between quest areas flows much better without it hurrying you around, skipping so much cool stuff.

Back to Garth Forthnir for the tenth time this week, after another fetch quest to Rivendell. My sub is running out soon, and hell, I no longer care.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I recently finished all the book quests up through Amarthiel on the legendary server and noticed I got a BoA cloak on all my characters. Kinda odd why I dont get credit from pre-existing old characters in the Nazgun. Anyways I noticed someone had on a cosmetic which apparently tied to some book quest in Mordor. So my question is, has anyone who has gotten a cosmetic through the book quests in mordor, find that item on their legendary server characters? Supposedly these claims are "account wide."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cosmetic versions of some of the Moria armours are available at skirmish camps, was it one of those?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

sassassin posted:

Cosmetic versions of some of the Moria armours are available at skirmish camps, was it one of those?

No, it was named like crown/x of Prince Imrahil etc. I didnt see that in the store and lotro wiki say he's around Mordor so that got me thinking if there's a bug with "Bind to account" cosmetics being award post a certain patch where retroactive completion doesnt count.

EDIT:

After giving it some more research, it was definitely this set but it had an outfit name instead of the actual items used. Maybe this was a lalia set featured somewhere and it renamed all the items to the inspired set name. So now the question then is where is this lalia mannequin at?

https://starrymantle.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/prince-imrahil/

CheeseSpawn fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 14, 2018

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I did my first Rift run last night, really my first LOTRO raid period. I joined a PUG and we 10 manned most of it since we never got a 12th and a captain went LD a ways in. The first half was trivial. The second half we had a few deaths as adds ran around, including one where the second big drake had flown to a different spot and was sniping people. I got one shot since my loremaster has terrible gear. We made two attempts at the balrog. The first time I died fairly early to something like "blade channel". I wish I'd screenshotted it because I couldn't find the ability in any of the wikis and I have no idea if I did anything wrong. I was standing back with the runekeeper, close enough to throw stun immune on the tank on cooldown but not close enough to use my ancient craft debuff. I got hit for over twice my hp. They went on to get it to half before wiping about the time it started doing its flying tantrum. They said the tank had too many debuffs on him and the minstrel couldn't keep up with cooldowns. I was dead so I couldn't have helped but I didn't know to watch for that. They had a discord running but I didn't get a chance to hop in at first and then didn't think of it during the downtime. Second attempt the tank died almost instantly, they said his hope fell off and told him to buy from the store next time. They called it there since it was late.

I'm still trying to figure out what's worth using on my loremaster. I was running as red because I'm not comfortable with yellow yet but since I spent so much time focusing on keeping the tank stun-free and watching raid chat for instructions I should have just stayed blue to let my pet do its thing. I got yelled at for playing runekeeper if I got too lightning happy, but they also said our raid's DPS on adds was bad. I couldn't daze anything for long because of all the AE.

Every time I've tried yellow at level 50 it hasn't seemed worthwhile since everyone has so much damage. I used it in the annuminas instances to power feed but not sure if that was any better than just helping kill the enemies faster so we could get power back between fights instead.

The Rift run was fun and it was a mostly cool group that did their best to explain everything but I really need to work on my UI, inventory, and gear up a bit before pugging again. For instance making a macro to SOP the tank would save me a lot of trouble, and I need to find out if there's an easier way to assist or see target of target. The Rift dungeon itself reminded me of the Solusek dungeons in EQ1/2 which I always enjoyed though I'm glad Rift isn't that big.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Showing the target of target is in the ui settings.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Pressing F is the default assist button, too, and you can select members with the F# keys I think.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thanks I'll get those sorted for next time at least. The guardian wasn't in my fellowship so the F# keys didn't help. I should get a UI mod too, it gets pretty ridiculous when there's the second raid group frame overlaying my pet frame overlaying the elf NPC frame.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012

bagrada posted:

I did my first Rift run last night, really my first LOTRO raid period. I joined a PUG and we 10 manned most of it since we never got a 12th and a captain went LD a ways in. The first half was trivial. The second half we had a few deaths as adds ran around, including one where the second big drake had flown to a different spot and was sniping people. I got one shot since my loremaster has terrible gear. We made two attempts at the balrog. The first time I died fairly early to something like "blade channel". I wish I'd screenshotted it because I couldn't find the ability in any of the wikis and I have no idea if I did anything wrong. I was standing back with the runekeeper, close enough to throw stun immune on the tank on cooldown but not close enough to use my ancient craft debuff. I got hit for over twice my hp. They went on to get it to half before wiping about the time it started doing its flying tantrum. They said the tank had too many debuffs on him and the minstrel couldn't keep up with cooldowns. I was dead so I couldn't have helped but I didn't know to watch for that. They had a discord running but I didn't get a chance to hop in at first and then didn't think of it during the downtime. Second attempt the tank died almost instantly, they said his hope fell off and told him to buy from the store next time. They called it there since it was late.

The blade channel attack is just a thing he shoots at random people, nothing you can do about that except get more HP and mitigation. The debuffs happens when the balrog gets lower, he does a puke attack and puts like 6 or so stack of disease on everyone in front of him that will do a ton of damage and drain power. I believe if a burglar keeps the addle debuff on the balrog it wont ever use this attack. LM might have a debuff that will keep him from using it also. The jump he always does at around 50k hp remaining and will do it again every 30 seconds or so, but most full raids can kill him before he ever gets a 2nd jump off.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Did they change the lighting recently? Himbar in Angmar is basically pitch black, and it's raining in Dol Dinen at noon and I can't see poo poo ten yards in front of me.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Doing the Frostbluff stuff, I've actually had it pop a notice that they're reducing awareness from server load and lag.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Doing the Frostbluff stuff, I've actually had it pop a notice that they're reducing awareness from server load and lag.

Is it just me? My brain isn't parsing this correctly.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

Is it just me? My brain isn't parsing this correctly.

It was the first time I've ever seen this in a game. Had a square pop next to the square announcing dynamic layers and when I clicked on it, I had a pop up notice titled Reduced Awareness with the clarification of due to the increased server load causing issues like lag, it wouldn't be loading everything to the usual distance it normally would. So when I was taking out the grouchy trees, instead of seeing even the ones in the far distance, I could only see the ones from about half that distance.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

It was the first time I've ever seen this in a game. Had a square pop next to the square announcing dynamic layers and when I clicked on it, I had a pop up notice titled Reduced Awareness with the clarification of due to the increased server load causing issues like lag, it wouldn't be loading everything to the usual distance it normally would. So when I was taking out the grouchy trees, instead of seeing even the ones in the far distance, I could only see the ones from about half that distance.

Oooh wow. So awareness is some hidden graphics(?) setting dynamically managed by the sever that adjusts or forces certain draw distances based on load... Had no idea.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

Did they change the lighting recently? Himbar in Angmar is basically pitch black, and it's raining in Dol Dinen at noon and I can't see poo poo ten yards in front of me.

They improved a few graphic options and now have to roll some back til they fix a bug or two, there's a few areas where the bushes turn glowing colors if you port in from other cities fast travel, believe that's either fixed or coming this week

The winter yule boss will drop the best essence in game, but it's level 120 only, on t2 only, and it has no loot other than cosmetic coins. You have to kill the yule boss on t2 10 times for one gold and one teal essence. Bit grindy, but it is a fun fight and a little edge isn't bad to have if you plan to raid the anvil in a few weeks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I turned off (or on) some option for shrubbery but haven't noticed much with it either way.

Dol Dinen has that murky/hazy filter so it ended up being easier to see at night when there was more contrast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Delossad is literally pitch black at night and if I turn around the Trollshaws sky is missing texture pink.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I've tried googling but not finding an answer, but on a character one's already gotten the Such Generosity deed, if they redo the Charitable Spirit quest 10x the next year, do they still get the rewards minus the title?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How is the crawl from 95 to 105? I'm going to buy Mordor and will in all likelihood use a level skip when I do (to avoid Rohan if nothing else), but it turns out I already own West Gondor so I'm considering using a 95 instead of the 105 item.

I think my highest character got through the paths of the dead when lack of interest in the regions and story killed the game for me. But now Mordor and post-Mordor exist so it's something to aim for.

Do you need to be doing the epic to access quests at that point?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

How is the crawl from 95 to 105? I'm going to buy Mordor and will in all likelihood use a level skip when I do (to avoid Rohan if nothing else), but it turns out I already own West Gondor so I'm considering using a 95 instead of the 105 item.

I think my highest character got through the paths of the dead when lack of interest in the regions and story killed the game for me. But now Mordor and post-Mordor exist so it's something to aim for.

Do you need to be doing the epic to access quests at that point?

I enjoyed Gondor, but rushed through it to get to Mordor, which I am now regretting. Just make sure that you do the flower picking necessary to get essences where they need to be for Mordor; otherwise, you are going to be in for a serious hurting in Udun

I think there is some content gated behind the epic quest, but I can’t exactly recall because it’s been a year or two

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cnidario posted:

Just make sure that you do the flower picking necessary to get essences where they need to be for Mordor

Elaborate, please.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

Elaborate, please.

Others will do a better job of it than me, as I didn’t spend much time 100-105, but basically you start getting essences in Gondor, and the flower picking quests towards the end (Eastern Gondor, I think?) yield higher quality essences. I went into Mordor with the gear I got as a result of epic quests and free quests and had a lot of trouble because I hadn’t really spent much time messing around with essences and the like since I could just faceroll mobs up until that point

Hope that was helpful. If anyone else has anything more to add, please do

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Cnidario posted:

Others will do a better job of it than me, as I didn’t spend much time 100-105, but basically you start getting essences in Gondor, and the flower picking quests towards the end (Eastern Gondor, I think?) yield higher quality essences. I went into Mordor with the gear I got as a result of epic quests and free quests and had a lot of trouble because I hadn’t really spent much time messing around with essences and the like since I could just faceroll mobs up until that point

Hope that was helpful. If anyone else has anything more to add, please do

I also went into Mordor on three classes without doing the flower grind, it was rough on my champ but doable, on my Minstrel I did do all of the previous regions quests so I was about 107 when I went into Mordor and that helped quite a bit. Flower grind probably helps but getting the Light gear from Mordor is more important so I don't think its absolutely necessary and it sounds like a massively boring grind.

If you are a melee class I would recommend trying to get a couple extra levels, range classes can kite more and mitigate some of the annoying mobs in Mordor so while the extra levels would still be helpful they probably aren't as necessary, I went in at 105 on my hunter and it was relatively easy since I rarely got hit.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Fried Sushi posted:

I also went into Mordor on three classes without doing the flower grind, it was rough on my champ but doable, on my Minstrel I did do all of the previous regions quests so I was about 107 when I went into Mordor and that helped quite a bit. Flower grind probably helps but getting the Light gear from Mordor is more important so I don't think its absolutely necessary and it sounds like a massively boring grind.

If you are a melee class I would recommend trying to get a couple extra levels, range classes can kite more and mitigate some of the annoying mobs in Mordor so while the extra levels would still be helpful they probably aren't as necessary, I went in at 105 on my hunter and it was relatively easy since I rarely got hit.

Yeah, I went to Mordor at 105 on my mini and got demolished by landscape mobs (except for crebain and slugs)— getting to 107 in Eatsern Gondor sounds like a much, much, better way of doing things. Better gear, essences, better stats

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Oh dear, my usual landscape strategy involves getting within 4 levels of enemies, if I'm overlevelled I usually get frustrated with the slow xp progress and overly-simple fights.

Good that Mordor sounds a bit scary.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

Oh dear, my usual landscape strategy involves getting within 4 levels of enemies, if I'm overlevelled I usually get frustrated with the slow xp progress and overly-simple fights.

Good that Mordor sounds a bit scary.

I remember when Mordor was released, there was a lot of people pitching a fit over how much of a gear jump it was even on standard mobfights. I like the idea since considering being in Mordor is a big deal, it makes sense your character'd be going in loaded for bear.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember when Mordor was released, there was a lot of people pitching a fit over how much of a gear jump it was even on standard mobfights. I like the idea since considering being in Mordor is a big deal, it makes sense your character'd be going in loaded for bear.

I like the idea of it being difficult and a big deal, but in practice it just made it really annoying and frustrating to play, especially if you’re one of the squishier classes. There were certain places where if I couldn’t find other people then I just didn’t even bother and would come back later. Once you level up a bit it’s not as bad, but Mordor up to like level 110 was some of the least fun I’ve had in the game. Not as bad as Rohan obviously. Now that the cap is 120 it doesn’t really matter as much though.

Of course, it doesn’t feel as impressive nowadays considering random wolves and bears in the newer zones are stronger than most things in Mordor, but that’s just the nature of MMOs I guess.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The whole Light gear thing was a annoying debacle because to get Light gear you needed to quest in Mordor and to quest in Mordor you needed Light gear. Some classes didn't have a problem, but as a Captain it was a nightmare, even being slightly overleveled for zones.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Logged in today on a whim after I don't know how long. It's cool to see there's new stuff, but I highly doubt I'm going to stick around. Between work and dividing my leisure time between running, music, reading, and games (which I primarily do on a Switch these days), I don't see myself making time for this again. I got bogged down trying to continue the plot stuff in Far Anórien and had stopped the Epic just after Pelennor. I don't own Mordor.

I currently have 2601 TP which is enough for Mordor or another quest pack. I got this between massively grinding TP and finally putting down 30 bucks for some near the tail end of my career here, funnily enough. But again, I don't see a future where I throw myself into this game again. So I don't know if it's a thing to be done or not, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving my account to someone who can make more use of it. I can keep it around for future play I guess, but that'd be maybe in the summer and if I'm being honest with myself it's probably not going to happen.

My main is 104 Hobbit Hunter. I also have a 32 Elven Rune-Keeper, a 51 Dwarven Champion, a 84 Lore-Master, 29 Warden, and 26 Guardian. There's also a level 8 Minstrel there on the off-chance I'd ever try one out.

So yeah. Don't know what the protocol is regarding this but the offer's open. Let me know if this is grossly inappropriate.

I will say it's a fun game, clearly. Very cool world and I'm glad of the time I spent on this game regardless.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
It's against terms to sell or trade accounts or to share login information, but if you're just giving it away I don't know how serious they are about policing it. It's more of a risk to the person you'd give it to, they could find themselves without access suddenly. And if they really wanted to play the game then they wouldn't want that and they'd start an account of their own anyhow.

Personally, I play the game in fits and spurts, as do a lot of people. Nothing wrong with leaving your account alone for months and months, then pop in for a quest or two. That's the whole point behind the free to play model anyway.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I suppose. What was more tedious was that time and wait it took to download the latest version. I checked out of curiosity and some desire, but that disappeared since it took a few days to update.

Anyway thanks! Maybe I'll pop in sometime this summer.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I suppose. What was more tedious was that time and wait it took to download the latest version. I checked out of curiosity and some desire, but that disappeared since it took a few days to update.

Anyway thanks! Maybe I'll pop in sometime this summer.

Yeah, this is the type of game I take long breaks from. Long as in years sometimes. It’s nice to check back in after a while. And I have the same problem in regards to the download time. I usually just delete games if I haven’t played in forever, but MMOs, especially this one, take so drat long to install I’ve usually lost interest again by the time I can actually play them.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I installed this game in the evening and patched this game overnight multiple times now without putting it in an ssd or anything fancy. My patching takes like 4-6h and I would be more accurate except I don't usually pay attention. I don't understand the multi day poo poo that keeps coming up. Bad internets?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ILL Machina posted:

I installed this game in the evening and patched this game overnight multiple times now without putting it in an ssd or anything fancy. My patching takes like 4-6h and I would be more accurate except I don't usually pay attention. I don't understand the multi day poo poo that keeps coming up. Bad internets?

Maybe. Though I've got fiber optic whatever. I think it's just because I was coming back from a really old version? To be fair the first bit downloaded super fast, then the second bit dragged, the last bit also flew by, so who knows.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I usually play furiously for a couple weeks then uninstall for 6 months-1 year.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

I don’t know why, but this game always takes forever to download for me. Like way longer than games of similar sizes. If it’s just patching it’s not too bad, but a full install is interminable. And half the time the launcher bugs out and disconnects so I couldn’t just leave it on overnight. This has been the case over multiple years with different ISPs. Maybe it’s all in my head, but I’m going to blame the game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'd forgotten how incredibly boring gear gets at higher levels. Everything just slaps on a big slice of your main stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

sassassin posted:

I'd forgotten how incredibly boring gear gets at higher levels. Everything just slaps on a big slice of your main stats.

I might be mistaken, but I think the dev team retuned a bunch of gear to make it more like that/useful.