Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Remove the “seats”; leave the poles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Platystemon posted:

Remove the “seats”; leave the poles.

The end goal is to make them into flying Victorian poorhouses, where they can line up the passengers against the walls of the cabin and hold them there with a length of rope for the duration of the flight.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

make giant spruce gooses, slide all passengers into their personal box (definitely not a coffin) with some holes for air, stack em to the roof. bam 2000 people in a flight

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol flying is such a nightmare. I do it less than once a year.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why not just set up bunks so they can stack people lying down instead of expecting them to stand for hours on end?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

make giant spruce gooses, slide all passengers into their personal box (definitely not a coffin) with some holes for air, stack em to the roof. bam 2000 people in a flight

the next elon musk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

01011001 posted:

it's going to be every economy plane seat and also cost more

well then im just not gonna fly

i dont have to be at x,y gps coords anyway

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
gently caress all that poo poo, I'll never fly again if that's how poo poo is gonna go.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mycomancy posted:

gently caress all that poo poo, I'll never fly again if that's how poo poo is gonna go.

heck yea

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
seriously if you don't need to fly for like your job or to see your dying whomever, why the gently caress you do it more than necessary?

last time I flew was to Hawaii because you can't drive there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Well not with that attitude

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

seriously if you don't need to fly for like your job or to see your dying whomever, why the gently caress you do it more than necessary?

You know boats exist right?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
oh there's no freighter passenger runs to hawaii from the US anymore because no one runs american flagged ships nm

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bert Roberge posted:

I like this one.

Obviously you'll have to buy a first class ticket if you don't want to be in a fart hot box the entire ride.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

Drones have for a while been stuck in some unclear zone where they're already not exactly legal, but not specifically illegal either. At a certain height, airspace becomes totally regulated by the FAA. Right above the ground mostly belongs to whoever owns the ground. Drones fly around in-between, and don't really have any legal standing.

The FAA was supposed to sort this all out by 2015 and they did not.

700’ feet and below not near an airfield is class G which basically means totally uncontrolled free for all, fly at your own risk airspace.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wow their tickets must have been so cheap

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

holy fujk

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Imaginary Delta and real life Ryanair

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

:wow:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

where's the lie

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Amtrak is good for very specific routes

like the train to Chicago was a good relaxing day reading books and looking at cornfields in the observation car, only 2 hours more than driving and I got to drink beer and pee whenever

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

maybe i should take the drat amtrak instead of a plane. the california-texas train trip takes two complete days (basically 48 hours) instead of half of one but they have wifi on the trains now right? could do work instead of be miserable on the plane and then spend the rest of the travel day useless and recovering from said plane.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Dec 30, 2018

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i dont think anyone actually likes flying besides pilots and aircrew

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

mysterious frankie posted:

If you pay for first class they knock you unconscious first.

Oneiros posted:

i’d strongly consider paying for that.

Krankenstyle posted:

there are few things i hate more than flying. not from fear, but from being uncomfortable.

Which is why we need the cabins from The Fifth Element!

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i took the train from philly to rochester via nyc once in the dead of winter

upstate new york is very pretty which i got to enjoy from the comfort of a train :)

trains own

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

maybe i should take the drat amtrak instead of a plane. the california-texas train trip takes two complete days (basically 48 hours) instead of half of one but they have wifi on the trains now right? could do work instead of be miserable on the plane and then spend the rest of the travel day useless and recovering from said plane.

aww yeah and idk about you but the sound of the wheels and the soft swaying of the cars is like the ideal nap zone

iirc you can also byob

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol they dont have internet on the train that goes between texas and LA or the one that goes between LA and northern california :rip:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

lol they dont have internet on the train that goes between texas and LA or the one that goes between LA and northern california :rip:

this is what books are for

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shear Modulus posted:

their wifi isn't meant for streaming or anything anyway, just huck a bunch of movies/music on your device and do that

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

over a two day trip i'd be mostly using the internet to work. i dont know if i could actually completely unplug from work for that long lol, i certainly havent this past week or so

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

note that there isn't actually an issue with not enough physical airplane space for passengers. just right next door are passengers whose every millimeter of personal space is not being attacked and scrutinized
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzB5xtGGsTc

richard wolff talked about some transport for a rail system in some european country trying to implement class based train cars and the public protesting by just going in the first class cars and stopping the implementation

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Shear Modulus posted:

i dont know if i could actually completely unplug from work for that long lol, i certainly havent this past week or so

On topic

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

In Denmark we went with ordering incredibly expensive, delay-prone and fault-ridden trains that didn't fit the platforms so we had to extend them. They'll be phased out by 2024 due to unreliability, gradually to avoid literally bankrupting the national railways. The Italian supplier will be responsible for maintaining our new fleet of F-35s. :lol:

One of the train sets went missing before delivery and turned up in Libya, apparently gifted to Gaddafi by Berlusconi.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmbo I forgot about the Libyan train set

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

SplitSoul posted:

In Denmark we went with ordering incredibly expensive, delay-prone and fault-ridden trains that didn't fit the platforms so we had to extend them. They'll be phased out by 2024 due to unreliability, gradually to avoid literally bankrupting the national railways. The Italian supplier will be responsible for maintaining our new fleet of F-35s. :lol:

One of the train sets went missing before delivery and turned up in Libya, apparently gifted to Gaddafi by Berlusconi.

You're welcome :tipshat:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/spiritb0red/status/1077407764966600704?s=21

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Another part of air travel is that most people who fly regularly don't actually pay the full pricetag. There's the whole thing with different classes of fliers getting benefits, such as being able to upgrade their tickets to the higher class for far less money, or even just getting free flights out of customer loyalty miles.

And of course, human beings have a hard time paying full prices, but corporations can pay higher prices easy. Human consumers are discriminated against, just like with the housing market.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

frequent fliers don’t get discounts other than having some fees waived (ie seat selection within a class, free bag, same day flight changed), and if you’re referring to segment upgrades they’re either for short flights or limited to just a handful of segments per year for the top people in the program.

people absolutely are paying full price for business class. (or, well, the non refundable price at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao