Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The desert sandstorm is permanent and just marks the zone boundary, so it doesn't look so silly that you're running into an invisible wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also be aware that some side quests aren’t meant to be done at the level you’ll be on your first play through, so if you encounter something that feels like bullshit, just skip it and come back later.

Fortunately this game doesn’t have nier 1 levels of “gently caress you” side quests, the vast majority are reasonable and rewarding, but don’t try to do all of them immediately.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Don't worry too hard about missing side quests, after a certain point you can use a chapter select to go back and finish any that you missed.

Yeah, so I've heard. It was just particularly grating in this one instance where I needed to save 50k G but kept spending it on other stuff... And then I sold a bunch of stuff and got 50k and went to go turn it in but OH HEY MAIN STORY KICKED THEM OUT OF THE AREA.

Tarezax posted:

The desert sandstorm is permanent and just marks the zone boundary, so it doesn't look so silly that you're running into an invisible wall.

Oh, a friend had told me you get to explore more of the desert later :shrug: I just hate the ramp-up to the storm because I'm trying to explore, stop taking away my sight :(

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also be aware that some side quests aren’t meant to be done at the level you’ll be on your first play through, so if you encounter something that feels like bullshit, just skip it and come back later.

Fortunately this game doesn’t have nier 1 levels of “gently caress you” side quests, the vast majority are reasonable and rewarding, but don’t try to do all of them immediately.

Yep. I found Lord of the Valley and... Turf War? The latter could probably be done sooner rather than later, but the former, oof. I spent a couple minutes on it and then nope'd out. A couple other quests I also waited a while to do because I tried them once and they were pretty tough.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's an extra bit to the desert that I think basically sticks off like a side path, so that might be what your friend is thinking of. You can go there at any time though, just have to find it. The map system sucks.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I purchased this game upon its release on the PC way back in March 2017 and have only just, after extended periods away from the game, managed to get the E ending. Apologies in advance for the wank-post

That it took me so long speaks to how much of a slog the bloody game is, it really just was not fun for me to play. That I persevered at all (its very rare that I beat a game before another shiny game comes along and distracts me) speaks both to how compelling I found the world, but also to an expectation I had built up about the existential, fourth-wall breaking pay off at the end. A pay off that, for me, I'm not sure the game achieved. I deleted my save with little thought or hesitation other than a wish to put an end to the bloody thing, a decision I've come to half-regret since I did it almost immediately after unlocking chapter select and the debug, and at only 47% quest completion. My difficulty with the playing of the game DID mean that the pod's various references to my having 'suffered' and 'worked so hard' resonated more than some of the other parts!

Much more impressive than the gameplay was the atmosphere and sense of doomed, empty futility, something I felt from the outset. That it prompted me to consider that my own interpretation to this world, one that sees it as a 'dead' world where clock-work automatons continue to bash their heads against each other tens of thousands of years after their creators have died or left them behind, says a lot about my approach to meaning and existence, especially when said automatons grapple with the same question and attempt to answer it through love, hate, fealty, beauty, principled pacifism, or etc. Perhaps the reason that the final revelations toward the end of the game didnt really pack much of a punch with me is that I never really made the distinction between the androids and the robots in the first place, the lack of meaning in the world was a given from the start and so I just enjoyed being in a world where meaninglessness was taken for granted and the meaning became the search for meaning, what amounts to a startlingly effective experiential existential hermeneutic (even if there was way too much telling, instead of showing).

And so, despite it all, I really do MISS my world of Nier: Automata. The character designs were dull and derivative, the combat was samey and lacking any obvious depth, but the world and the people(?) in it, boring and bland and ugly as it was, was just absolutely suffused in this melancholic futility that compelled me and makes me, despite it all, think about reinstalling the game and starting afresh. No game, except perhaps Dying Light, has conveyed the idea of a 'dead' world quite as well as Nier: Automata.

I absolutely did not enjoy this game, but I keep thinking about it, and I kinda wanna start it over again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do wish Nier Automata's gameplay was better, because Nier Automata the video game in general is very good. Why the gently caress is there an rpg level system in this game i still don't get it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I do wish Nier Automata's gameplay was better, because Nier Automata the video game in general is very good. Why the gently caress is there an rpg level system in this game i still don't get it
There's a lot of depth to the combat abilities and moves and poo poo you can do, and it never matters because you outlevel everything really fast

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the biggest thing I'd want from a mod is just a removal of the leveling system along with all enemies being set to an appropriate challenge level. The enhancement chips system already provides an interesting way to progress your character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJacobs posted:

Taro has stated at least once that he always put RPG levelling in his games because he wants anyone to be able to finish them no matter how bad they are

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Again I think the chip system already does a good job of that, with the chips that automatically do stuff for you at the lowest difficulty level.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
A friend of mine has said that the worst thing about this game is that it "takes a lot of grindng" which is still :psyduck: to me. I don't really remember that ever being the case?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The only way this game needs grinding is if the player doesn't realize they can dodge. Really, ignore the stats and the chips, you can spam dodge the entire game and not have a problem.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I didn't have to grind until I went for the max level trophy, at which point I just turned on the auto chips and stood 2B in the desert where the enemies are on instant respawn timers while I did other stuff.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I can understand that. Level seems to be the most important thing when it comes to damage and defense so if you're under leveled it will be a huge slog to kill anything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I didn't grind but I ran into the opposite problem where doing all the side missions leaves you overlevelled and turns some of the later fights into a joke.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I had the opposite problem in that I hardly did any grinding/upgrading/side quests and ended up in the low to mid 30s on my first play through of route C. That was a loving nightmare :V

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I too ran into Irony Be My Shield's problem which is why I'm complaining. The last third or so of the game was totally ruined for me gameplay wise because there was no challenge at all, I was a high enough level that nothing could really hurt me just by way of being completionist until that point. I had outpaced the leveling curve several chapters ago.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 30, 2018

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

History Comes Inside! posted:

I didn't have to grind until I went for the max level trophy, at which point I just turned on the auto chips and stood 2B in the desert where the enemies are on instant respawn timers while I did other stuff.

You know there's an in-game store where you can just buy the trophychievements, right

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Cephas posted:

A friend of mine has said that the worst thing about this game is that it "takes a lot of grindng" which is still :psyduck: to me. I don't really remember that ever being the case?

Sakurazuka posted:

Taro has stated at least once that he always put RPG levelling in his games because he wants anyone to be able to finish them no matter how bad they are
sounds like he was onto something

Played the entire game on hard without any grinding (or at least until the very very late game), died half a dozen times to every boss until i learned their poo poo and got reliable at evading and i'd rank my subjective enjoyment of NAs combat gameplay somewhere between MGR and Bayo1, which i also finished multiple times (easier for those 4-7 hour games obviously).

Like, the difficulty levels in the game are very far from perfect, but do people just never adapt that poo poo up or down whenever they feel helplessly stuck/bored? This isn't a bioshock-wrench-only-players situations where people tediously cheese everything with the pod while hating every second of it right?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

You know there's an in-game store where you can just buy the trophychievements, right

I wanted to be max level anyway to fight the optional boss so I did that one "legit"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Like, the difficulty levels in the game are very far from perfect, but do people just never adapt that poo poo up or down whenever they feel helplessly stuck/bored? This isn't a bioshock-wrench-only-players situations where people tediously cheese everything with the pod while hating every second of it right?
doesn't turning the difficulty up to hard disable locking onto things

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The final boss died in like 2 hits.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The final boss is unaffected by your level, actually.

It's the credits.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Beefstew posted:

The final boss is unaffected by your level, actually.

It's your save file.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Does anyone have that Yoko Taro version of the trolley problem.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Does anyone have that Yoko Taro version of the trolley problem.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thank you kind goon

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can't imagine doing that way. Did you do that specifically so you didn't have to interact with it? because the Bunny Statue is way faster and you can go from like 60 to 100 in like 20 minutes.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RubberLuffy posted:

I can't imagine doing that way. Did you do that specifically so you didn't have to interact with it? because the Bunny Statue is way faster and you can go from like 60 to 100 in like 20 minutes.

Yeah I couldn't get the bunny method to work because apparently it got patched out, so leaving it to idle and level itself was the best option I could find.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The bunny didn't get patched out an easy way to activate it did. It still wakes up if you hit it for long enough.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
When i did it there basically was a way to switch lock on from one of the surrounding robots onto the inactive bunny which let's you start the fight instantly with a hack that also does like 30-50% of it's healthbar. I assume that's gone now, the rest should still be the same, but now you at least require some decently upgraded weapons and some patience to wake it up.

also are the existence of hacking or the bunny statue itself spoilers at this point?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It was that you could hack a nearby neutral machine to control it then hack the bunny from there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah, the bunny was only really worth grinding while the hack was possible as far as I could tell.

Hitting it for "long enough" to wake it up took a seriously long time and I think they might have nerfed the xp from it too, either way I killed it once then decided based on the time it took to grind it down to death it was going to be a loving horrific slog to max level if I was going to keep doing it that way and switched to auto chips in the desert.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 1, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I believe the higher level you are the easier it gets to wake up the bunny.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The only time I tried I was lvl 55+, wailed on the bunny for at least 15 minutes. It didn’t wake up.

And that’s why I bought the remaining achievements at the store.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Route C - Nooooooo, not the amusement park! My good friends :negative: At least the party tank is still partying along :unsmith:

Though.... if even the amusement park wasn't safe, I'm getting concerned about Pascals village....

:ohdear:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

loving HELL

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

loving HELL

Yeah, I was counting down until this post, or something like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zack Ater posted:

loving HELL

I love this post.