Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Icon Of Sin posted:

So I just discovered this thread, and have some underwater pics to share. I run a photo and video log for all my underwater adventures, here’s a sample pulled from a trip last year. We spent a week onboard the Morning Star, one of the liveaboard sailboats operated by Blackbeard liveaboards out of Nassau, in the Bahamas.

I’ve got plenty more from NC waters, Catalina Island, CA, and some of the caverns in north-central Florida that I can post up later, if anyone is interested.

I haven't been able to dive since I got my open water cert in 2010. :(

GodDAMN those are some incredible pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
JFC those are amazing.

What gear are you using photo wise?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It started with a Hero5 on a selfie stick and weak flashlight, then I got this tray and light setup:

Flashlights: 2x BigBlue (1200 lumens apiece), wide beam.
Camera: still the Hero5.
Filter: standard GoPro red lens.

Gopros are great for video, but not so much for still photos...so I roll video at the highest resolution/framerate that my computer can tolerate (1080p, 60 frames/sec), and pull stills from there. My laptop gets cranky about doing much higher, and the free video editor I use to splice my clips together gets agitated and tries to eat all my memory if I try to go any higher.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 10, 2018

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Edit: you explained what you were using in a post I missed

This is a GoPro frame grab from when my girlfriend and I went diving in a cenote on the Yucatán Peninsula back in June. That was such a trippy experience, especially when we went through the halocline (the barrier between salt and fresh water.)

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 10, 2018

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cavern diving is a ton of fun, but I’m terrified of underwater caves. The springs in north-central Florida have some of the clearest water you’ll ever find, and the temp is nearly constant year-round. The cenotes are a bucket list dive for me, but until then I’ve got some places to hang out in Florida.

Ginnie Springs:

This is ~20ft underwater, looking up at the trees around the spring.

This is the entrance to The Ballroom. There’s a cavern entrance in the dark spot, lower center/just to the left.

This is at the entrance to the Devil’s Eye cave. Swim out from where the first pic is and look up, that’s where I took the second one.

Entrance to Devil’s Ear:

This area sits right where the clear spring water and murky river water meet, so the water there can have some really strange colors to it. There’s also outflow from the cave below, which is really strong. Get in far enough, and the water will purge your reg for you or try to rip your mask off.

This is Devil’s Den. The spring is inside a sinkhole, you’ve got to walk down a carved stone staircase to get to where I took this. The chamber itself is ~150ft across, max depth 55ft. There are tons of little swim-throughs that mimic a cave, but sunlight is always visible and the way back out is always close.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Went to the salt marshes in Quivira National Wildlife Refuge, KS today. There were thousands of sandhill cranes and snow geese pass through. Also saw quite a few bald eagles. The eagles would spook the geese and wait for a collision and then feast, was fun to watch.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

All of those diving shots are insane. I like the shark one the best. SHAAARKS.

Here's mine for today. Lake Agnes. This was not an ideal shot by any means, especially since I forgot to zoom in a little while taking the shot in order to zoom past the dust spot. Normally that's not an issue except when shooting directly into the sun, which has plenty of other reasons for not being ideal. Would you believe this is on the north end of the lake, facing south, at 1PM? It's nuts to me that the sun was so low in the sky. I didn't feel like hanging around to see if it would set behind that mountain, because it seemed to be moving more sideways than down and I was getting cold. Was trying to snap the pic while the wind was gusting and the lines of snow were blowing across the ice like a big ol' cocaine party. Gonna have to go back there later this winter, either earlier or later in the day to avoid that giant sun. Oh well, learning occurring at least.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Great picture! I love that area, but have never been in the winter!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What pants do yall wear for cold weather and rain?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

silkies

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

I have a pair of OR rain pants that work great for glissade/rain/snow shoe. Typically worn with gaiters when seeing that kind of use. Layered underneath as appropriate: Prana Breathe pants with temperature-appropriate wicking layer underneath.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Man, how have I missed this thread? Just noticed it.

I'm going on my first snowshoeing trip in a few weeks, hopefully I get some good pictures and don't freeze to death.

Going up into the mountains in the middle of winter is kind of intimidating for someone that grew up in Florida.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what do you mean by gaiters

edit: nevermind i have some.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 16, 2018

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Mustang posted:

Man, how have I missed this thread? Just noticed it.

I'm going on my first snowshoeing trip in a few weeks, hopefully I get some good pictures and don't freeze to death.

Going up into the mountains in the middle of winter is kind of intimidating for someone that grew up in Florida.

Used to be the gun thread but people kept posting pics of their guns in beautiful scenery so now it's the outdoors thread!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

All of those diving shots are insane. I like the shark one the best. SHAAARKS.

Here's mine for today. Lake Agnes. This was not an ideal shot by any means, especially since I forgot to zoom in a little while taking the shot in order to zoom past the dust spot. Normally that's not an issue except when shooting directly into the sun, which has plenty of other reasons for not being ideal. Would you believe this is on the north end of the lake, facing south, at 1PM? It's nuts to me that the sun was so low in the sky. I didn't feel like hanging around to see if it would set behind that mountain, because it seemed to be moving more sideways than down and I was getting cold. Was trying to snap the pic while the wind was gusting and the lines of snow were blowing across the ice like a big ol' cocaine party. Gonna have to go back there later this winter, either earlier or later in the day to avoid that giant sun. Oh well, learning occurring at least.

Nice! Long exposure or are those streaks already on the ice?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The streaks were actually snow that was being blown across the ice by gusts of wind. Was still a fast shutter speed, 1/2500 and used the hi res mode on my camera.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I got a fjallraven keb jacket for christmas and I like it so far. Its basically made for tall lanky people because the XL fits like a large long.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I got a fjallraven keb jacket for christmas and I like it so far. Its basically made for tall lanky people because the XL fits like a large long.

I have one of their backpacks and love it

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've got one of their parkas and it owns for walking around in winter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is their stuff any good? I see so much of it walking around cities I thought it would be trendy garbage.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mine is nicely made and super warm. It's not really modern high tech stuff like Patagonia, etc. but yeah I'd recommend it for casual use; I've walked around at sub-zero temps for a while and remained comfortable with the parka and an insulating layer.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Midjack posted:

Is their stuff any good? I see so much of it walking around cities I thought it would be trendy garbage.

mine specifically is more of a field jacket than a soft shell which is great for what I need it for. There are trails near me I'm gonna wear it on but they're like 3 hour routes max

Honestly a lot of their stuff reminds me of well made hipster bushcraft gear IE waxed material instead of space age softshell ultralight.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 20, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah that's a good description. I have one similar to this that I scored for $200 on a last season closeout: https://www.fjallraven.us/collections/mens-parkas/products/sarek-winter-jacket?variant=1283666824

I wouldn't buy it for outdoorsy activities (although it'd work, but there's probably fancier/lighter high tech stuff that's more suitable) but for walking around the city in the winter, A+ would buy again.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 20, 2018

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Midjack posted:

I got their larger normal backpack and it’s really nice

https://www.amazon.com/Fjallraven-Kanken-Laptop-Backpack-Everyday/dp/B07F7RXH5H

It’s really comfortable

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I wouldn't buy it for outdoorsy activities (although it'd work, but there's probably fancier/lighter high tech stuff that's more suitable) but for walking around the city in the winter, A+ would buy again.

So far mine seems great for outdoor activity but its not something for like a month long ultralight backpacking trip. I'd totally take it on a four day trip where you hike in fish for two days then hike out which is what I usually do.

I'm also autistic and hate the swoosh swoosh noise soft shell stuff makes

PookBear fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 20, 2018

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Merry Christmas from Zion National Park. The state of Utah put up the funding to keep the four parks there open during the holidays.

Holiday bonus, two shots from Valley of Fire in Nevada, a highly under-rated place, if you aren't there in the peak of summer.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:flashfap: unghhhhhh that's gorgeous, wish I was there right now.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Zion is probably my favorite national park that I've seen. Absolutely beautiful canyons and you're mostly viewing them from below.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Zion was gorgeous and all but lacked the immense scale of Glacier, which is my favorite. On Saturday, I booked a trip to Rocky Mountain NP for a week and looking for a time around October/November to do some hiking around Great Smoky Mountains.

Speaking of Glacier, I'm having this photo done up as a 20x30 print.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Glacier is amazing, I took this when I was driving up Go-To-The-Sun road in the morning for a pre-dawn hike, currently serves as my desktop wallpaper

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

holocaust bloopers posted:

Speaking of Glacier, I'm having this photo done up as a 20x30 print.

is this Chief Mountain?

edit: nah I don't think so

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DownByTheWooter posted:

is this Chief Mountain?

edit: nah I don't think so

Reynolds near Hidden Lake.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I love those Glacier pictures. Its on my list for next year. In April I'm going to head to Big Bend NP, then head north through New Mexico and Colorado. Probably do Glacier in late summer, early fall. I really miss the mountains.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MonkeyWash posted:

I love those Glacier pictures. Its on my list for next year. In April I'm going to head to Big Bend NP, then head north through New Mexico and Colorado. Probably do Glacier in late summer, early fall. I really miss the mountains.

I would recommend the last week of September. Fall colors are showing, the surrounding towns are quiet, and crowding is not even a concern. I was out on trails by 7:30-8 AM. Cold but warmed up enough to be quite comfortable hiking in a hoodie until near sunset. Winds can change all that, though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I don't think I shared anything from Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Mojave from last month. Anyway, here's a few.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MonkeyWash posted:

Chaco Canyon

it's a huge crazy complex of pre-Columbian religious sites out in the middle of a desert wash, mostly dating to Pueblo II, something like 1100 AD. Sites include a few giant structures called "great houses" and dozens and dozens of kivas. Real ancient aliens poo poo

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I have an REI giftcard and I need bottom warming layers but I have no idea which brands are good any suggestions?

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

I have an REI giftcard and I need bottom warming layers but I have no idea which brands are good any suggestions?

Polypro leggings. Any brand will do, usually.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I’m a big fan of wool leggings. REI brand is usually a very good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Some kind of polypro tights under practical pants is what I wear for running around in snow, but if you can afford merino wool ones, they'll be much, much warmer

I don't really like fleece bottoms, always make me feel kind of over-warm/sweaty