Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

If all these people died one night would their absence affect the world in any way? They just emit carbon pollution and lovely policy. Carbon pollution and societal acid rain.

Kootenay West voted for PR, unlike many a suburb in the lower mainland. Proof that rurals are in fact better than suburbanites even if they are still quite bad.

The more pressing issue is that rural life is pretty unsustainable in any form these days, not just environmentally speaking, and the end result is we're going to see a lot less of it as time goes on, even if we don't implement carbon taxes or anything. Suburban living on the other hand, is still extremely popular and getting worse and worse by the day. That problem ain't gonna fix itself.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

If all these people died one night would their absence affect the world in any way? I am a big dumb dumb and genocide against the rurals is cool. As long as I get to keep playing sonic 2 in my apartment while heating up chicken fingers.

Kill the rurals. wow. edgy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
TBF they might have been referring to the suburbanites.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

infernal machines posted:

I think there's a bit of irony in the fact that some form of GMI is probably necessary and unquestionably helpful to the sustainability of small town Canada, but somehow everything between Sarnia and Ottawa outside of the major cities voted OPC.

Grew up in said 400-people hamlet near a 50-75,000p small town. Industry Jobs have died. There's a bit of tourism. Rest is all retail and services to a lot of retired boomers. I rarely use FB but I'm only aware of one classmate that stayed behind.

The lifestyle is more rural than suburban. No transit but most homes have a single car. Fewer SUVs and trucks than Ottawa.

As posters ITT astutely observed, suburbanites are the worst.

Also :laffo: at whoever thinks transit in the GTA is better than Montreal. As a whole North America is far behind the rest of the world when it comes to rail :eng99:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

any discussion of positive change must be ground into paste by that one muthafuck with a pathological need to screed about edge cases.

who the gently caress cares if some resort at a so-called beach in ontario gets it's toilet scrubbed?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

zapplez posted:

Kill the rurals. wow. edgy

I develop methods for cancer detection and my wife saves lives and improves patient care/hospital utilization; unlike rurals we are useful members of society and contribute in numerous ways instead of demanding all its privileges while refusing to contribute meanwhile posting garbage comments on cbcnews.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cowofwar posted:

I develop methods for cancer detection and my wife saves lives and improves patient care/hospital utilization; unlike rurals we are useful members of society and contribute in numerous ways instead of demanding all its privileges while refusing to contribute meanwhile posting garbage comments on cbcnews.

Man, my Christmas wish is that everybody thought the same as you. Not so much the stereotyping but definitely the hardcore meritocrazism.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Farmers Feed Cities

I don't know what the other 99% of rural peoples get up to but I'm sure it's at least marginally useful in their communities if not elsewhere.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Man, my Christmas wish is that everybody thought the same as you. Not so much the stereotyping but definitely the hardcore meritocrazism.

Don't you push buttons for a living?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 29, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I'm sure my excel macros go on to help detect cancer or something

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is "these people provide insufficient value to society, let's do away with them" really a road we want to go down?

I mean, poo poo on the rural people who are causing significant problems and/or burning crosses by all means, but let's see if we can't avoid advocating for Nazi social policy in the process.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Also :laffo: at whoever thinks transit in the GTA is better than Montreal.

I don't remember anyone actually saying this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Is "these people provide insufficient value to society, let's do away with them" really a road we want to go down?

I mean, poo poo on the rural people who are causing significant problems and/or burning crosses by all means, but let's see if we can't avoid advocating for Nazi social policy in the process.

I think if there's one thing this thread has taught me it's that medical professionals are pretty darn okay with sterilization and euthanasia when it suits them.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wait, you can get paid to push buttons?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Man, the good life here I come.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Farmers Feed Cities

I don't know what the other 99% of rural peoples get up to but I'm sure it's at least marginally useful in their communities if not elsewhere.

I mean meth is fulfilling someones need.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

cowofwar posted:

Thank u for yur service :jerkbag:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I think if there's one thing this thread has taught me it's that medical professionals are pretty darn okay with sterilization and euthanasia when it suits them.

When they're being grumpy they just wander around their day repeatedly thinking "I could end this motherfucker right now!" about everyone they encounter and picture themselves intentionally overdosing that person, severing an artery with a scalpel, or whatever else if their creative juices are flowing.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

Hey and think, if you got your wish and all the rurals died, you and your wife would be dead in a month anyways when we run out of food. Keep up with that research then.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

When they're being grumpy they just wander around their day repeatedly thinking "I could end this motherfucker right now!" about everyone they encounter and picture themselves intentionally overdosing that person, severing an artery with a scalpel, or whatever else if their creative juices are flowing.

I remember there was an nurse in the PUBG thread who worked in Emerg and would brag about how sometimes he 'didnt do his best' and his black patients just tended to die more often. He was promptly ran out of the thread/discord. Guy was also an alcoholic so who knows how much was real or just his sick fantasy.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
most jobs in cities actively make the world worse like 50% of people in toronto rely on speculating on real estate and financial instruments and just leech off everyone else

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
but no its small town garbageman that we should be focusing on here, gently caress that guy

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"kill the rurals, no really, i dont think its a joke, kill the rurals "

- half the posters in this thread

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

zapplez posted:

"kill the rurals, no really, i dont think its a joke, kill the rurals "

- half the posters in this thread

I'm amazed someone ate a sixer for it, I think we can all surely agree that political correctness has now gone too far

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Kill everyone IMO.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I was browsing youtube for non nazi material (lol) and look nikki ashton showed up in a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eXmdr2vVnI

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Whatever, I didn’t advocate genocide or say that there aren’t contributing members of society who are rurals but sure I will eat your anger clicks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I'm amazed someone ate a sixer for it, I think we can all surely agree that political correctness has now gone too far

It's a drat good thing underemployed shitkicker from Listowel isn't a protected group or we'd have hella hate speech violations up in here.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I hope Clinton BC doesn't ghost town, it's a great place to stop for breakfast. Better than Cache Creek! is my Fraser-Thompson canyon hot take

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

The Guardian posted:

Revealed: oil giants pay billions less tax in Canada than abroad

Data shows companies made much higher payments to developing countries in 2016 than to Canadian, provincial governments

Canada taxes its oil and gas companies at a fraction of the rate they are taxed abroad, including by countries ranked among the world’s most corrupt, according to an analysis of public data by the Guardian.

The low rate that oil companies pay in Canada represents billions of dollars in potential revenue lost, which an industry expert who looked at the data says is a worrying sign that the country may be “a kind of tax haven for our own companies.”

The countries where oil companies paid higher rates of taxes, royalties and fees per barrel in 2016 include Nigeria, Indonesia, Ivory Coast and the UK.

“I think it will come as a surprise to most Canadians, including a lot of politicians, that Canada is giving oil companies a cut-rate deal relative to other countries,” said Keith Stewart, an energy analyst with Greenpeace.

Companies like Chevron Canada paid almost three times as much to Nigeria and almost seven times as much to Indonesia as it did to Canadian, provincial and municipal governments.

Chevron used to run its Nigeria and Indonesia projects out of the U.S., but after allegations that they evaded billions in taxes, their operations were moved to Canada.

According to data collected by the Guardian, Suncor also paid six times more taxes to the UK, and Canadian Natural Resources Limited (CNRL) paid almost four times more to Ivory Coast.

The revelations emerge as tax reforms proposed by the Liberal government to curb the use of loopholes by wealthy Canadians continue to be hotly debated and opposed by business lobby groups.

Even with the low rates, the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers has been lobbying the federal government for more tax breaks to improve their “competitiveness.”

The Guardian used a new extractive sector database launched in June, 2017, after a law passed by Stephen Harper required oil, gas, and mining companies in Canada to disclose for the first time payments they make to governments around the world. The Guardian compared payment figures for 2016 to oil production levels.

The result of a global push for “publish-what-you-pay” corporate transparency, the Canadian law was billed as a way to empower citizens in developing countries to ensure more tax revenue is collected for much-needed social programs. While it was supported by Canada’s mining industry, oil companies fought against full disclosures.

“Publish-what-you-pay was set up to help fight corruption in the developing world, but ironically this data reveals that it’s Canada who is getting the short end of the stick when it comes to the public’s share of oil revenue,” said Stewart. “The Trudeau government should be demanding that oil companies pay at least as much tax here as they do abroad, and use that money to fund a transition to green energy.”

According to resource governance expert and UBC geography professor Philippe Le Billon, neoliberal policies in Canada and across OECD countries have resulted in lower taxes and royalties for companies.

“Companies in Canada will point to the jobs they are creating rather than acknowledge they could be sharing more of their profits, which mostly goes to shareholders who are not even in the country,” he said. “In key jurisdictions like Alberta, this has come about after decades of rule by Conservatives who are very cozy with oil interests. The numbers reveal a poor tradeoff: high emissions for not much revenue. It’s long-past time for Canada to follow a model like Norway’s, which captures far more revenue from oil production.”

While royalty rates in Newfoundland are the highest in Canada, in Alberta they have fallen from a 40 per cent high during the 1970s to less than four per cent, and a complex system of exemptions ensures companies often pay even less. The NDP government in Alberta backed away from a pledge to hike them.

Le Billon said the tax gap between Canada and developing countries has also been influenced by lower prices for Canadian crude and higher production costs.

“[Production in Africa] generated positive segmented earnings, therefore generating higher associated payments to the local Governments. In contrast, last year our Canadian conventional operations were generating operating losses, hence lower payment levels to Canadian governments,” a spokesperson for CNRL said. They reported losses of $204 million last year but have made $1.07 billion in profits in their latest quarter in 2017.

Chevron Canada did not directly address the discrepancy in tax rates, but a spokesperson said its reporting to the extractive sector database “are one of many important roles that Chevron Canada and our industry peers play as we produce safe and reliable energy and partner with communities and first nations [sic].” They reported losses of $497 million in 2016 after making $4.6 billion in 2015.

Suncor, which reported profits of $1.9 billion in 2016, did not return a request for comment. All three companies pay massive dividends to shareholders every year.

Natural Resources Canada referred questions to the Finance Ministry, which did not respond to questions.

Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government and the provinces also continue to give $3.3 billion in yearly subsidies to fossil fuel producers in the country, despite having pledged to phase them out.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

:canada:

I don't even have a witty remark.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, the candidates in Burnaby South are effectively set.

Pundit's Guide Burnaby South Riding Profile

NDP - Jagmeet Singh (about)
Criminal Defense Lawyer / Ontario MPP. (Won riding where NDP had been 3rd by a ~2000 vote margin, then ~6000)
"Local" since 2019 or maybe never.

Liberals - Karen Wang (about)
Daycare Operator / Unsuccessful (48-35) 2017 BC Liberal Candidate.
Local since 1999.

Conservatives - Jay Shin (about)
Corporate Lawyer / Part-time Law Prof in both Vancouver & South Korea
Local since 1985ish.

Greens - N/A (about)

People's Party - Rumoured (source) Laura-Lynn Tyler Thompson (about)
Christian Blogger / VISION TV Host / Unsuccessful 2018 Burnaby School Board candidate (11th of 13)
Local since ??? (Worked in local media since 1996)

2015 Results:
35.1% NDP - 16,094
33.9% Lib -15,547
27.1% Cons - 12,441
2.8% Grn - 1,306
1.1% Lbtn - 499

2011 Results (Redistributed):
44.0% NDP - 16,072
39.6% Cons - 14,471
11.7% Lib - 4,280
3.6% Grn - 1,316
1.1% Oth - 385

2016 Census (Burnaby South federal riding), mother tongue:
39,585 English speakers
775 French speakers
66,465 Non-official languages
- 35,560 Chinese speakers
- 5,260 Indo-Aryan language speakers
--- 2,375 Punjabi
- 3,500 Korean speakers

(There are a bunch of other language groups with 3500+ native speakers, I just mention these due to candidate backgrounds)

A couple 2017 campaign videos from Karen Wang: (one / two)
I can't find anything of Jay Shin (his website's full of generic Conservative Party videos).

On the surface I think Karen Wang is a pretty weak candidate compared to the Conservative's Jay Shin - she's a fairly generic "small business owner" candidate whose answer to our current housing affordability issues is "I believe in a free market. It's always demand and supply. Obviously we need more supply". Thanks, Karen! Although her business does happen to be a small cluster of 2-3 daycare facilities, and the NDP generally likes talking a big childcare game, one that's very shy on anything resembling implementation. She did significantly worse in the 2017 provincial election (without an incumbent) than the previous BC Liberal candidates for the provincial riding had in 2009 / 2013, and they were running against a far more prominent local NDP candidate.

Last election was a three way race with the Liberals a very close second, but now that they've had a few years in government, I'd normally expect them to drop - but to where? The Trans-Mountain pipeline (barely) runs through this riding - it cuts through the northeast corner.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 30, 2018

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

less than three posted:

I don't even have a witty remark.

Pope is Catholic, bears poo poo in the woods, water is wet, Canadian government promises to fight carbon emissions while subsidising the oil industry.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Jan posted:

Pope is Catholic, bears poo poo in the woods, water is wet, Canadian government promises to fight carbon emissions while subsidising the oil industry.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

If only he cried because he let Gord down

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I can't wait for these pipeline rallies in Alberta to spawn an actual separatist movement, as it becomes clearer that the gravy train is done and they completely cannot accept that they hosed it all away these past 18 years. :magical:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

How would that work exactly? Presumably Albertans are at least somewhat aware that they have no ports, which is why they're being blocked by BC in the first place. How does independence from the rest of Canada suddenly get oil outside their borders?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If Albertans had forethought none of this would be happening

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm just saying it's completely bewildering conceptually. The only thing that could possibly make it more difficult to export their oil would be to leave Canada.

You know, in addition to apparently having no economy whatsoever outside of resource extraction.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

guys, guys, guys. killing the rurals is only a bad idea inasmuch as its scope is overly limited. kill the suburbanites and urbanites too. leave the astronauts, eskimos, and hunter-gatherers to inherit the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Danaru posted:

If Albertans had forethought none of this would be happening

This is the best part about the whole oil thing in Alberta. Their 40 years of Conservative governments pissed away every single penny they could have set aside for when oil inevitably hit the end of its lifespan.

Its 100% self inflicted.