Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

This is kinda the thing. You train by getting the poo poo beat out of you, which is remarkably survivable as long as someone can come and get you.

Kenshi kinda works on dragonball rules where you just get absurdly tough the more fighting you do.

So in my current game, stack is deserted. I’ve gotten relatively rich over this by running things back to the outpost, but it’s completely empty with the occasional patrol coming through. Will reimporting the save bring back the extremely bad tempered holy nation people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I had a couple swamp ninjas locked up that I forgot about for a while so they starved almost to death. Didn't think it was worth the bother to feed them back to health so instead I kicked the poo poo out of these emaciated prisoners one last time and then tossed them in an incinerator.

Kenshi has turned me into Hitler.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I currently have a Holy Nation inquisitor in a cage, feed him cactus chewsticks and occasionally let him out so that my best fighters can swing rusty shortswords at him in order to train (I armed him with an iron club from a starving bandit).

He is far too valuable to allow to die though and receives the best medical care each time he is slowly sliced to unconsciousness by idiots with rusty knives.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

zedprime posted:

Since you have two people one guy can always hold him while another sleeps.

This might be too long for a thread title but this is adorable.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

friendly 2 da void posted:

This game seems super fun but it's still totally in early access right, they just slapped a 1.0 on it? Are the devs still planning to make updates to fix things like the "totally broken" shop system?

No it's basically done and wrt the shop system I think he would've deleted if it wasn't overhauled and used by a mod that makes it awesome.

E: getting started talk:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

As was said above, numbers are your friend. Recruit basically as many people as you can afford to feed. If you hang out in the desert in the north west you can make a lot of money killing groups of slave traders and ninjas and blood raiders (or even just looting them after they get killed by gate guards). Pick up the guys with high bounties and turn them in. If you're in the borderlands area, dust bandit bosses/marauders have good bounties and marauders usually have like 5-10k of gear on them too. pick up meat you find, you can cook it on campfires that you can build anywhere and

Other option to make money is just steal everything not nailed down and train your assassination up and collect high bounty targets. Or if you want the relatively low effort low risk way, just set up a leather crafting shop and make traders leathers until you can craft top quality gear, plus then it is easy to gear your guys up.

Mostly just have a lot of guys. Kenshi is generally a quantity over quality type of combat

E: if you want to be extra safe, assassination (and stealth in general) is wildly imbalanced for how quickly it levels. Just have your highest stealth/assassination character not fighting and he can come in and knock out everyone if your guys are losing too badly.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 30, 2018

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

No it's basically done and wrt the shop system I think he would've deleted if it wasn't overhauled and used by a mod that makes it awesome.

E: getting started talk:

What mod?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the tips posted so far are kind of helpful but not really because i actively have no frame of reference for doing any of the things that you guys are talking about. i was more hoping for a "use this kind of start for now, that'll put you in this city to start, talk to this dude/do this thing to not starve to death in the first day so you can get your bearings"

e: one other question. is there some sort of skill cap or something that would stop omnicompetence? i get that quantity has a quality all its own in this game but from everyone's ideas on stuff to do it seems like you'll have to make training a real priority at some point and i'm curious how much thought i'll need to put into that.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 30, 2018

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
One tip I have is to always carry the food in a backpack so if you get in to trouble with starving bandits you can drop the pack before they knock you out so that you don't lose it.
On another note I just tried to push east with my small gang of 3 ninja dudes and we could not make it across the desert . We kept getting killed by robot bandits, eaten by beak things or insta killed by blood Spiders. I made it as far as the smugglers bar and from there we could not press further even with running at top speed :) If I had a larger group I guess I could do it but I find 3 dudes to be just enough micro management for me to enjoy. Tank, dps, healer :)

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

MRLOLAST posted:

One tip I have is to always carry the food in a backpack so if you get in to trouble with starving bandits you can drop the pack before they knock you out so that you don't lose it.
On another note I just tried to push east with my small gang of 3 ninja dudes and we could not make it across the desert . We kept getting killed by robot bandits, eaten by beak things or insta killed by blood Spiders. I made it as far as the smugglers bar and from there we could not press further even with running at top speed :) If I had a larger group I guess I could do it but I find 3 dudes to be just enough micro management for me to enjoy. Tank, dps, healer :)

I'm doing the exact same thing right now except mine are filed under whisperer, clay pigeon and bag man.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Coolguye posted:

the tips posted so far are kind of helpful but not really because i actively have no frame of reference for doing any of the things that you guys are talking about. i was more hoping for a "use this kind of start for now, that'll put you in this city to start, talk to this dude/do this thing to not starve to death in the first day so you can get your bearings"

Wanderer start, that will drop you in the Hub. Hit alt, so you can see the Bar sign highlighted in yellow. Go there, talk to everyone until you find a crazy old man who wants you to hunt down a monster with him. Tell him it sounds amazing and you want to go with him. He will join for free and never insist that you go fight this monster. You now have 2 dudes, good job!

Next up: leave town. You're probably going to want to go south-west towards the shek city - it's a trek, but close enough that food won't be a concern. I'm recommending it because along the way you can spot mining spots (weird colored/textured rocks you'll see along the journey that have a pickaxe symbol on them when you hover over them) where you mine. LEFT click on the mining spot to watch its inventory fill up with iron or copper ores. You can sell these in town! Either return to the Hub's bar to sell to the bartender, or keep going southwest.

In the Shek city (it has horned people who call you flatskin), first check the bar to see if there's any free recruits. If Ruka's there, tell her she was brave so she'll join you. If she isn't, oh well.

Second, explore the different shops and use the sneak button. If something is out in the open - i.e. you hit ALT and see something like "cooked vegetables" and the sneak icon is blue, grab it and hold still until the committing crime pop-up on the left goes away. Repeat until you have stuff - but take it back to the Hub to sell. If you try to sell it to people in town, there'll be a "Fence chance" and it will probably be low and you'll get spotted as a thief and put in jail.

At this point you should have a better grasp of controls and actual stuff. There are small buildings in the Hub that you can left-click on and buy for cheap (1,500) and repair with a few building materials and then you have a shack of your own.

A tip and a warning: there's a friendly bar called the Rebel Base a short distance north of the hub. They're good for trading and potential thievery.

But if you go further north there's the Holy Nation and these guys will seem friendly at first, but then they'll want you to pray with them and I hear if you're put in jail there they will sell you to slavers and so on and so forth. Be careful! (or don't - I love stealing from these assholes and generally ruining their day)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MRLOLAST posted:

Oh man I haven't gone directly east yet. I'm currently on a journey going north-east - we skirted the Iron Valley because ACID RAIN and crossed a desert filled with giant bugs that we could just barely fight off. I'm still annoyed because I still keep finding Holy Nation outposts - which is great for stealing and stocking up on supplies - but like, I want to get away from these guys!

Also an update on my farm: I got it going and had to pray with the Holy Nation (thank you Hobbs for being a male greenlander) and we started making some things, but... I can't make greenfruit into actual food until I research power generation. So we've abandoned the farm for now to go explore and find more books. Which actually had amazing timing, because right after we left, a band of ninjas showed up and attacked and they were all "I hope there's good loot" and uhh... enjoy the water and leftover greenfruit..?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

thanks, Strix. i'll give that a go today. worst case scenario, i keep mining for a little bit to get the money i need, right?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Coolguye posted:

thanks, Strix. i'll give that a go today. worst case scenario, i keep mining for a little bit to get the money i need, right?

Mining is a complete waste of time early on. It doesn't net you anything useful early on and doesn't teach new players anything.

If you just go around stealing poo poo it's going to give you 3 different skills, all of which are going to be useful later on.

Another way to make money while developing skills is leashing bandits into npcs, or paladins into wild animals.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i can worry about optimizing my time after i know how to not starve to death and navigate the world a bit I think

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

i can worry about optimizing my time after i know how to not starve to death and navigate the world a bit I think

Yeah - mining is real barebones money, but it's money and this early on every bit counts, especially if you haven't figured out thieving yet. Also you can't haul too much of it without backpacks so just grabbing some on your way to town is a bonus. imo. I'm still pretty early in .... hhahaah I have 13 hours in this. I love this game. I feel like I'm early in, but hell: I have 5 dudes, they're all fed, and we're exploring and have a surplus of bandages.

I do save frequently so if someone dies I can reload, but if something less bad happens - my entire group is unconscious and bleeding out - I let it play out, because if I can get someone up and healing the rest of them, and they can all walk away, that's great toughness XP. And while I haven't been in the shek prison, I've read elsewhere that it's a good place to practice lockpicking and it's not a big deal - bounties do wear off.

Kenshi: experiment, get your characters horribly beat up, keep going!

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Mining is fine don't worry about it. Most people don't suggest it at the start because it's kinda of boring to do.

If you start in the Hub, look for the only standing shack in town. It's the smallest building, rectangle with a small ramp with a sliding looking door. You can steal everything inside and no one will stop you. Sell the loot and it's a pretty good start.

Otherwise it's all about taking every opportunity that presents itself. You see city guards killing some bandits or beasts. Loot them and use it to sell or equip your guys.

If you head down to Squin a city SW from the Hub the Bar there is in a snail shaped building. Most of the times the guards stay downstairs but on the 2nd story there is a room with Beds and a few chest. The chest should contain food. Make sure you hit sneak and the icon is Blue before you start stealing. Any other Bar you see in other cities that are in the same building will have the same chest upstairs. Good loot to keep you going and a nice way to skill up thieving skills.

When I started out I saved up a couple thousand and hired Mercs. I used the Mercs to guard me as I was out in the wastes and then looted anyone they killed. The loot payed for more recruits and more mercs. It just snowballed from there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if I missed this I’m sorry but I don’t think anyone answered my other question: is there some sort of skill cap on a specific character or if I somehow made a perfect training regimen could one dude be omnicompetent?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is this game good?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Google Butt posted:

Is this game good?

Hell yes, it's a kind of fun I haven't found anywhere else. Going from a single lady with nothing but a pair of pants to her name to a trained team of five who can kill a giant bug in the desert has been incredibly satisfying.

Coolguye posted:

if I missed this I’m sorry but I don’t think anyone answered my other question: is there some sort of skill cap on a specific character or if I somehow made a perfect training regimen could one dude be omnicompetent?

I have no idea, sorry!

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
The limit for stats and skills is 100, but some skills take forever to level up. And yeah everyone can learn everything.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mining is good when your vitals are half falling out and healing and you are watching TV. Or else when you have it set up to be automatic.

Coolguye posted:

The biggest limits are time investment and gear micromanagement instead of hard caps but I think people have plumbed the depths of the most hazardous zones with a solo character. Its just easier in the long run to train and equip a dozen or two average samurai with a spread of skills and equipment to handle the different types of fights or environmental hazards you would see on your way around the world.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

zedprime posted:

Mining is good when your vitals are half falling out and healing and you are watching TV. Or else when you have it set up to be automatic.

With one caveat: the first time I mined, ever, a roaming group of bandits spotted me and hurt me so badly I bled out and died. :rip:

Basically keep an eye on the game, it can and will screw you over if you're not vigilant.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

How Disgusting posted:

Mining is a complete waste of time early on. It doesn't net you anything useful early on and doesn't teach new players anything.

If you just go around stealing poo poo it's going to give you 3 different skills, all of which are going to be useful later on.

Another way to make money while developing skills is leashing bandits into npcs, or paladins into wild animals.

Yeah, when I started Kenshi I mined for about a minute before thinking "haha no loving way am I wasting my time doing this." Stealing is love, stealing is life. You make way more bank, train useful skills, and get lots of useful items.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

As far as I'm aware your character can be good at anything

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Mine copper from the closest hive village in vain. There are 4 nodes close to the general trader and the constant stream of gorillloz and beak things keep your team well fed and not bored. You make 20k in a day. Good place for furs too.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

MRLOLAST posted:

Mine copper from the closest hive village in vain. There are 4 nodes close to the general trader and the constant stream of gorillloz and beak things keep your team well fed and not bored. You make 20k in a day. Good place for furs too.

Vain is super shillable on 2nd and subsequent playthroughs. With neko's overhaul it's more balanced since it makes raw materials worthless until they're turned into finished goods. But in vanilla the first week in Vain is like Elon Musk's origin story.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That Shek town in the canyon is a pretty good place to set up shop. It's close to copper and iron, and has a few large buildings for purchase. You can't make your own iron plates in town, but nothing's perfect.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Google Butt posted:

Is this game good?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

who do i talk to for basic navigation tools? trying to drive the game around right now but i have no compass and no map.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Hit "m" to open the map. Nice thing is you can right click anywhere on the map and the selected characters will autopilot there. As best as they can anyway, they do sometimes get stuck on things. Some merchants will stock items that will reveal locations on your map too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

who do i talk to for basic navigation tools? trying to drive the game around right now but i have no compass and no map.

Push M, the blue arrow on it indicates your view and blue dots indicate your dudes. Left-click to drag, right-click to send selected dudes there but do watch them

You can buy maps (I think, I just stole some) but they tend to be expensive and not very useful because your dudes will spot places from miles away and add 'em to the map

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Idk if it has been mentioned in here yet, but one of the cool design features of the game is that you actually get an xp bonus for failing things. This applies to every single skill in the game. Also why a lot of the beginner advice is just flail around wildly learning the systems and UI and as long as nothing eats you and you don't bleed to death you eventually pop out the otherside with high skills

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And some things you actually train by failing such as toughness, you get tougher by taking damage, take more damage, you get better at taking damage.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, the only time I've ever reloaded in kenshi was if a dude I couldn't afford to lose died, or if I lost a limb near the beginning of the game and Hobbs couldn't carry me/it'd take too long to earn cash for limbs. Otherwise, just keep going- like Dwarf Fortress, losing can actually be fun!

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
If you want a more boring start that lets you mindlessly grind out stats like athleticism and toughness, try the slave start. Getting out of the place was kinda hard but once I finally did I had decent stats in a bunch of stuff. Getting out sure was satisfying too.

I got out with one other person since I freed a wave of prisoners and followed them. We sneaked into the nearest city to buy food and she ended up getting caught and sent back. Real emotional moment. Even better when she broke out again awhile later and I picked her up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Slave is more fun when you know what you're doing.

Also there's no such thing as a main character, the original lone survivor is out of commision for a while and now you are Hobbs or rando fuckwit #22 that you've recruited.

Combine these two ideas: when you are ready to live life as a slave, growing more powerful with each beating: you can recruit a new guy, pick him up, deposit him in a slave merchant, and now you have a guy on the inside getting his rear end kicked on the Holy Nation dime.

e. honestly haven't done the above myself and it occurred to me it may do something funny with the guy's faction if you sell him by putting him in the cage yourself, in which case just leave him passed out on the merchants door step.

I hope not and they pay you and then you do a ringer escape with experienced dudes you sell into slavery as a plant.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 31, 2018

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I post my mods folder, and have you guys see if there's anything I'm missing?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Can I post my mods folder, and have you guys see if there's anything I'm missing?

:justpost:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If you do this as a Holy Sword start, you might even get a cool $20K into the bargain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah my current overall plan is to have hobbs run around the hub forever to train athletics while I go mine random ores to hopefully get us a shack/feed us/etc. after I have a slightly better idea of what the hell is going on and how I can make sure people heal and dinner is going to get cooked, I’ll just have Hobbs training running while I go get my poo poo kicked in.

i am not afraid to ‘lose’ in a game that doesn’t consider losing an end state, I just really would have liked it if the game had crash coursed me on basic life support before dropping me into the middle of a city with a slap on the rear end.