Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Dead Cells. I hate the way it looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today’s the day I’m gonna master Monstah Huntah World!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Metacommentary alone has never impressed me, and even the best examples of it still manage to emotionally involve the viewer, be it toward personal reflection or political action. The quickest way to discover how relatively easy it is to provide "trolling" commentary, and how incredibly difficult by comparison to provoke a genuine emotional response in another human being, is to try creating your own art.
If it were so easy to provide metacommentary/"trolling" commentary through art though I feel we would see waaaaaayyyy more of it out there than we do, and way more of it done well at that.

Also I don't think its THAT hard to get people emotionally invested in something, relatively speaking anyways. Like when I look at all the popular movies/TV shows/video games/even books out there (Seriously, there's a lot) that people are into the stories/characters/worlds of (Even when I don't even think they're good myself, like the Marvel movies or whatever), I don't think much of the investment in them is particularly ironic or detached and not genuine. I don't think this is a bad thing either just to be clear, but it is what it is.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Raxivace posted:

If it were so easy to provide metacommentary/"trolling" commentary through art though I feel we would see waaaaaayyyy more of it out there than we do, and way more of it done well at that.

Also I don't think its THAT hard to get people emotionally invested in something, relatively speaking anyways. Like when I look at all the popular movies/TV shows/video games/even books out there (Seriously, there's a lot) that people are into the stories/characters/worlds of (Even when I don't even think they're good myself, like the Marvel movies or whatever), I don't think much of the investment in them is particularly ironic or detached and not genuine. I don't think this is a bad thing either just to be clear, but it is what it is.

How quickly we forget I Cant Believe its not Gambling 2017 GOTY Edition

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Honestly The Simpsons has more to do with Nintendo than Persona 5 (and the teaser for P5R has a PlayStation logo at the beginning so it's probably staying there)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's P5R

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Simpsons arcade game was bizarre, but fun.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Persona 5 Revengeance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the persona expansion. I hope they take the opportunity to relocalize it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

they won't

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

No "Pet" option. 1/5 stars

Why is a Klurf kissing his avatar

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont even understand what this guy does anymore. he started off with the anti-show wacky game jokes for kids which was actually good, and then he just started doing my little pony cartoons, and then he did a dbz fetish thing, which is when i stopped paying attention... and now it doesnt look like he does much other than whine about poo poo and tread into Notch territory

persona 5 racing. kart racing

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/1079467481050292224?s=19

Holy poo poo, Kirby

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Kirby invented vore

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not ready for kirby with teeth

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKgyGADjqDc

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not ready for kirby with teeth

Take my hand and we'll walk this dark ravine bravely together.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

I will play it if I can use my save file to do a NG+ run with it

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Re-release the Dead Space Trilogy on Switch and during the ending of the Dead Space 3 DLC Kirby comes riding in on a Warp Star and takes out the bad guys giving that series a proper ending.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

axelblaze posted:

RANDOM CHAT THREAD HOLIDAY CONTEST!!!!!

Hey chat thread, because I got some extra stuff lying around and I want to thank you for letting me greedily be the OP of this thread every month for over a year, I'm gonna have a little contest. All I really want is for you to do some fan art of your favorite game you played this year. It can be any medium you want, any style and any game as long as you played it and loved it this year. The prizes I have are:

-A huge Overwatch art book (I got this from Secret Santa last year and one of my friends didn't know I had it and got it for me this year)
-A very slightly broken Gregg from Night in the Woods figure (it just snapped clean of the base. You should be able to make it good as new with a little glue or you can keep him off the base)
-Two download codes for the Switch version of Hollow Knight (I have nothing to put in the brackets here but I'm purring this here so they all have one)

You have until New Years and I'll put the winners in the OP of next month's thread. The four winners will be able to pick which prize they want and if they don't want any remaining prizes, I'll declare a 5th and 6th place until someone wants what I have left.

I can't draw but I wanted to participate. I've captured his likeness in the areas that matter most to me.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Penguin Patrol posted:

I can't draw but I wanted to participate. I've captured his likeness in the areas that matter most to me.

Too bad we can't make an image the thread title.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I was at a Japanese market and thought of you guys

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Too bad we can't make an image the thread title.

You could always make it an imgur link.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

The Next Generation

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Boy I did not like Iconoclasts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah its representation of Byzantine history is woefully inaccurate

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Byzantine is already a gross anachronism, they were Greek-speaking Romans who never called themselves anything but Romans!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

Byzantine is already a gross anachronism, they were Greek-speaking Romans who never called themselves anything but Romans!
They were just Romans trying to cosplay ancient Greeks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Accordion Man posted:

barbaric

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Byzantium is a cool word, I'll give them that. It's just crazy though how basically every historical textbook is so completely wrong when they say the Roman Empire fell in 461 AD or w/e. It lasted over one freaking thousand years after that!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Accordion Man posted:

They were greek-speaking people whose ancestors had been greek-speakers in the same regions for at least 500 years before the Romans conquered them. They were greeks and also they were Romans, because by the time of the iconoclasm crisis they had been part of the Roman empire for a thousand years, and the heartland of said empire for 500

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Byzantium is a cool word, I'll give them that. It's just crazy though how basically every historical textbook is so completely wrong when they say the Roman Empire fell in 461 AD or w/e. It lasted over one freaking thousand years after that!

Rome fell in 1204 imo not 1453

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

The empire never ended

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I believe that you will find the Romans continue to this day in the Sixth Rome (St. Petersburg) and Seventh Rome (Belgrade)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I liked Iconoclasts up until the moment before the end game where you can go back through all the areas with all your powers. I like it a lot and am interested enough in finding the hidden poo poo but it also kept me from just finishing the game before something else came out. I should load it back up and just march to the end, then look at the hidden stuff on a wiki or a YouTube video.

It has some really cool scenes I was not expecting, and the story is pretty daring for what looks like a cute action-adventure game. On the other hand it deepened my dislike of silent protagonists.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The third Rome is my apartment

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

The third Rome is my apartment

You'll need to show your work on there being exactly two Romes outside of your apartment

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Please tag that poo poo