Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He was a pretty good vampire hunter as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1078720141360132096

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ho, jeez. I'm so disappointed I don't get to see this.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

pwn posted:

Oh my god, I never even considered it, but of course the :spergin: rules of the good place would dictate that any points for freeing an entire race of people would be more than offset by the casualties of the resulting civil war. Probably those on both sides, too

i mean lincoln was responsible for the deaths of many native americans

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

He has to choose between the cereals and just passes out.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Taear posted:

Forgetting the "are you asking if Lincoln lived longer than 512 years ago" because god I hope you're not asking that, he wouldn't qualify because he didn't do anything good with good intentions.
You'd have to be freeing the slaves entirely through altruism. And possibly without anyone dying actually?
512 years ago from our present isn't 512 years ago from the present of the show because they have been tortured for some centuries by now, even before we get into Jeremy Bearamy time and how that could effect how we interpret what is meant by no one has gotten into the good place in that long.

Also, I ask because Michael actually says at one point that none of the Presidents except Lincoln got in. Now, he is a demon and could have been lying, but we did also see that ending slavery is like +8 billion, which offsets the -6 billion of committing genocide on American Indians.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

512 years ago from our present isn't 512 years ago from the present of the show because they have been tortured for some centuries by now, even before we get into Jeremy Bearamy time and how that could effect how we interpret what is meant by no one has gotten into the good place in that long.
oh, this is the Bad Place

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

In that very same episode, the accountant references Doug Forcett being alive and the same, approximate age we saw him as. The present is the present. Stop overthinking it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

emgeejay posted:

Seriously. Jeremy Bearimy time is for the afterlife. Time on Earth is still time on Earth.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

Also, I ask because Michael actually says at one point that none of the Presidents except Lincoln got in. Now, he is a demon and could have been lying, but we did also see that ending slavery is like +8 billion, which offsets the -6 billion of committing genocide on American Indians.

I don’t want to go all “well actually...” with this but Lincoln outside of the terrible execution of individuals involved in the Dakota uprising in Minnesota was extremely hands off on Native issues during his administration. Although you could argue that this is a point against him since a lot of the responsibilities for Native affairs in the civil war era got handed off from the fairly aloof federal government to the bloodthirsty and murderous white local power bases and militias who both were far more incompetent and far more murderous (ie the Sand Creek Massacre and Col. Chivington).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

emgeejay posted:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

maybe lincoln... bad?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

emgeejay posted:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The only president who had a good presidency was Harrison.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Teddy Roosevelt had guinea pigs named Fighting Bob Evans and Father O'Grady so those have got to be worth about a million points each

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally caught up with this thread and the show and holy poo poo this is some great TV. Bring on ore The Good Place!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hi. I’m not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but I wanted to say that I binged season 1 & 2 over the last two days and I have no loving clue how they are going to continue this show.

I’m constantly thinking of LOST, and especially how much better this show is than LOST (especially since we don’t deal with Kate episodes).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mordiceius posted:

I’m constantly thinking of LOST, and especially how much better this show is than LOST (especially since we don’t deal with Kate episodes).

Counterpoint: No Desmond episodes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Hi. I’m not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but I wanted to say that I binged season 1 & 2 over the last two days and I have no loving clue how they are going to continue this show.

There'll be an episode where you'll want to rush in and excitedly tell us as soon as you've watched it.

Please do so.

Edit: Doubly so if you've watched Westworld

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

CPColin posted:

Counterpoint: No Desmond episodes.

Countercounterpoint: we got part of a Desmond episode.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Edit: Doubly so if you've watched Westworld

Wait, what's this referring to? I guess stick it in a spoiler tag to be safe.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mordiceius posted:

It's so tough recommending this show to people because if you just tell them it's Kristen Bell going to heaven it doesn't really sell it. But if you say it's a comedic better written Lost you blow it for them. I like Kristen Bell and Ted Danson but didn't watch the show just because the premise seemed like a lame network comedy. It took hearing about the twist at the end of the first season to get me to watch, but I don't want to spoil that for others. Even just hearing there is a twist kinda spoils it because then you're looking for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

It's so tough recommending this show to people because if you just tell them it's Kristen Bell going to heaven it doesn't really sell it. But if you say it's a comedic better written Lost you blow it for them. I like Kristen Bell and Ted Danson but didn't watch the show just because the premise seemed like a lame network comedy. It took hearing about the twist at the end of the first season to get me to watch, but I don't want to spoil that for others. Even just hearing there is a twist kinda spoils it because then you're looking for it.

I agree with all of this. I didn’t watch it because on the face of it it sounds dumb. It’s absolutely not though and I’m so glad I picked it up. I also agree about the twist I definitely didn’t see it coming and it was a great surprise when it did.

It’s lost but it doesn’t suck and it’s funny and heartwarming.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

1glitch0 posted:

i've been trying to sell it to friends of mine who went to liberal arts colleges as "those humanities classes we had to take, but with fart jokes" and boy do i still have nobody to talk to irl about this show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For what it's worth, it was sold to me (with no knowledge of the twist) as "It's a really funny, clever comedy about a woman who accidentally gets into heaven and tries to keep anybody from finding out she shouldn't be there."

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jerusalem posted:

For what it's worth, it was sold to me (with no knowledge of the twist) as "It's a really funny, clever comedy about a woman who accidentally gets into heaven and tries to keep anybody from finding out she shouldn't be there."
When I describe it to people, I always add, "It's really dumb, but in the smartest way possible."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

It has Kirsten Bell and Ted Danson and it's made by one of the Parks and Rec guys.

Cool. Sold.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

1glitch0 posted:

So yeah, I kind of had the first season twist spoiled for me (only very very very very vaguely) by some people discussing the show in a Discord channel. So I knew a little of the twist coming up, but not too much and none of the context. The twist still blew my mind.

I think describing it as a comedic show that is basically doing LOST but better, is a fine way of describing it. Yes, it slightly reduces a bit of the surprise, but I don't think anyone will expect the degree and speed to which the show progresses.

One thing that I appreciate is that no episodes are 100% skippable.

Generally what I expect out of a standard season of 99% of network TV shows is: episode 1 (and often 2) is important "core" plot specific, 2 episodes mid-season are "core" plot specific, then the season finale. This show is not like that at all.

Mid-way through season 2 (around episode 8/9 when Shawn returned), I felt like the show had to be right at the end of the season because that's how most shows do things. Instead, I was only 2/3 through the season. Most shows play it super safe and that status quo is not changed dramatically episode to episode and between the place the season premiere starts and the season finale ends are often dramatically different but not too dramatically different.

During at least half of the episodes in season 2, my wife and I would look at each other and say "I don't know how they continue the show from here." because it feels like every few episodes, the entire premise of the show changes. The show covers arcs that most shows would draw out into a full 20 episode season in 3 episodes.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LividLiquid posted:

It has Kirsten Bell and Ted Danson and it's made by one of the Parks and Rec guys.

Cool. Sold.

Yeah, much like NBC itself, I was hooked by "Mike Schur wants to do another show."

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mordiceius posted:

So yeah, I kind of had the first season twist spoiled for me (only very very very very vaguely) by some people discussing the show in a Discord channel. So I knew a little of the twist coming up, but not too much and none of the context. The twist still blew my mind.

I think describing it as a comedic show that is basically doing LOST but better, is a fine way of describing it. Yes, it slightly reduces a bit of the surprise, but I don't think anyone will expect the degree and speed to which the show progresses.

One thing that I appreciate is that no episodes are 100% skippable.

Generally what I expect out of a standard season of 99% of network TV shows is: episode 1 (and often 2) is important "core" plot specific, 2 episodes mid-season are "core" plot specific, then the season finale. This show is not like that at all.

Mid-way through season 2 (around episode 8/9 when Shawn returned), I felt like the show had to be right at the end of the season because that's how most shows do things. Instead, I was only 2/3 through the season. Most shows play it super safe and that status quo is not changed dramatically episode to episode and between the place the season premiere starts and the season finale ends are often dramatically different but not too dramatically different.

During at least half of the episodes in season 2, my wife and I would look at each other and say "I don't know how they continue the show from here." because it feels like every few episodes, the entire premise of the show changes. The show covers arcs that most shows would draw out into a full 20 episode season in 3 episodes.

I have the utmost respect for Mike Schur because the breakneck pace of the show feels like a side effect of the showrunner having plotted out the story from beginning to end and having enough success under his belt to avoid changing things due to popularity.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Jerusalem posted:

That's a pretty good way to do it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This show is so good. I daresay it's my favorite Schur Schow

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

1glitch0 posted:

That's a pretty good way to do it.
Yeah, it was how NBC marketed the show prior to its premiere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBgT5djaQw

Obviously this is long-form, but the on-air promos hit all the same beats: You died, you’re in the Good Place, I’m not supposed to be here, why can’t I say “fork”

I have been working on convincing a friend to watch it, but she doesn’t like Kristin Bell. I just can’t even

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

pwn posted:

I have been working on convincing a friend to watch it, but she doesn’t like Kristin Bell. I just can’t even
But they used to be friends!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I tell people the show has "a lot of twists and turns," which encourages them to avoid spoilers without giving the game away. (Also, it's true for pretty much every episode of season 1 / this show)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LividLiquid posted:

But they used to be friends!

It was a long time ago.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I like to describe it to people as a sitcom that's plotted like a prestige drama.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So I just had a theory and it could be completely disproven later as I progress through Season 3 as I've only seen the two-episode season premiere.

I was thinking about Michael and how so far, since the four humans were sent back to the human world and back to life, Michael has constantly interfered. But then I thought deeper than that... I realized you could call it "interfering" but what he has really done is exactly what he suggested "giving a nudge in the right direction." Do you know who else does that? Guardian loving Angels. I'm starting to think this whole thing is a test for Michael to see if he is worthy of becoming an angel.

Now, I'm probably completely wrong, but this is the first time I've come up with an idea that I feel is a good enough twist that this show would do.

My other speculation is that we are going full 999/Nonary Games and moving full steam ahead into parallel dimensions.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

boy, I can't wait for Chidi to see that time knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pwn posted:

she doesn’t like Kristin Bell

That's weird, I understand every individual word of this sentence and yet put together in that order they make no sense at all :confused: