Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Alright first project at my new-ish house.

phase 1: replace wire shelving on right side with something that won't sag like the wire poo poo does.

max width shouldnt be too wide for melamine to have to worry about sagging, but the stuff does look like poo poo.

so is plywood my next best bet? any input on if it's really worth the extra time and effort to build as a cabinet with adjustable pin shelves?

Phase 2: build cabinet with drawers for awkward space on the left (this is built under the stairs to the 2nd floor)

i have no other ideas how to use this space, it's way too short for me to get anything off the deep end of the shelving that's currently in there. open to other ideas if anyone has any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
At least that wire shelving bounces back. Check how melamine bows after a few years under load. I’d leave the wire. Looks fine.

Rubbermaid sells center support bars if you really think you need them.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Have you thought about roll out shelving for that weird under the stair area? Something that comes out on tracks, similar to some cabinet interiors, might make that storage much more accessible.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^the wire has to go, it really can't take the weight it has right now

BadSamaritan posted:

Have you thought about roll out shelving for that weird under the stair area? Something that comes out on tracks, similar to some cabinet interiors, might make that storage much more accessible.

Yeah that's the only idea I've come up with thus far for that area (if my post wasnt clear about that)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
How common is it to have mold on the interior side of windows? Like, along the bottom of the glass pane where it meets the wood. (It is indeed wood, these are old windows.) Presumably it has something to do with condensation building up and settling on the bottom. Which would be my second question -- how common is interior condensation on windows? We definitely have that too. Does it indicate that they're letting too much air in, or is it just something that happens with basically any window?

There is not any massively high humidity as far as we know, and we have generally not been using humidifiers. It also happens both in rooms with HVAC vents and the few rooms that don't have them. It also only seems to be upstairs. The only thing I can think of to explain that is 1) a bit less air flow, even though we usually keep those doors open during the day, and 2) they're carpeted.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

The internal temperature is higher than the outside of the window which causes the air to condense on the warmer side of the window.
Get dehumidifiers next to the window or increase air movement (fans, hvac etc) to assist but basically impossible to avoid in older houses unless you replace the windows afaik.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

How common is it to have mold on the interior side of windows? Like, along the bottom of the glass pane where it meets the wood. (It is indeed wood, these are old windows.) Presumably it has something to do with condensation building up and settling on the bottom. Which would be my second question -- how common is interior condensation on windows? We definitely have that too. Does it indicate that they're letting too much air in, or is it just something that happens with basically any window?

There is not any massively high humidity as far as we know, and we have generally not been using humidifiers. It also happens both in rooms with HVAC vents and the few rooms that don't have them. It also only seems to be upstairs. The only thing I can think of to explain that is 1) a bit less air flow, even though we usually keep those doors open during the day, and 2) they're carpeted.

Very common in my experience of older houses. Keeping things dry and well ventilated is a good combat against mold.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

eddiewalker posted:

At least that wire shelving bounces back. Check how melamine bows after a few years under load. I’d leave the wire. Looks fine.

Rubbermaid sells center support bars if you really think you need them.

Melamine will bow too unless you add extra support along the front and back.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TheMightyHandful posted:

The internal temperature is higher than the outside of the window which causes the air to condense on the warmer side of the window.
Get dehumidifiers next to the window or increase air movement (fans, hvac etc) to assist but basically impossible to avoid in older houses unless you replace the windows afaik.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Very common in my experience of older houses. Keeping things dry and well ventilated is a good combat against mold.

Ok, thanks. We were clearly overthinking this one. (We actually thought maybe the glass panels somehow lost their seal against the wood and were letting cold air in, and were thinking of caulking the edges of the panels. I think we are sleep-deprived.)

New windows are on the list, but so are new doors... and possibly a new roof. It's gonna be a while.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We got a higher grade of window frames for the downstairs of the house to prevent condensation in the main living areas (and they work!)
Our old house was so drippy and gross in winter.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had a fun Christmas break. Found a wet spot in the ceiling of the garage, followed it to a blown wax ring on the toilet in the master bathroom. Large patch of subfloor under the tile floor was ruined and had to be replaced, but luckily the damage underneath was pretty localized. Ended up swapping the tile floor with leftover vinyl plank from our upstairs remodel. Also took the opportunity to get some color in there, which was sorely lacking. Really pleased with the results so far, still need to replace the baseboard trim and also going to replace the horrible stick on vinyl tiles above the shower with some glass backsplash style tile.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

(We actually thought maybe the glass panels somehow lost their seal against the wood and were letting cold air in, and were thinking of caulking the edges of the panels. I think we are sleep-deprived.)

It could be that they're letting *damp* air in rather than cold air, or lack of insulation might mean the inside glass is colder and so more likely to cause condensation, or maybe cold air coming in and hitting the warm damp air inside...

Ultimately something is causing moisture which is causing the mold, the moisture is probably from condensation, and condensation comes from humid air rapidly cooling down. If you can find and remove the source of the moisture the mold will go away.

peanut posted:

We got a higher grade of window frames for the downstairs of the house to prevent condensation in the main living areas (and they work!)
Our old house was so drippy and gross in winter.

Yeah I've never seen the issue with upvc window frames, but I don't know whether that's from a better seal or better glass insulation in the newer windows.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Enos Cabell posted:

I had a fun Christmas break. Found a wet spot in the ceiling of the garage, followed it to a blown wax ring on the toilet in the master bathroom. Large patch of subfloor under the tile floor was ruined and had to be replaced, but luckily the damage underneath was pretty localized. Ended up swapping the tile floor with leftover vinyl plank from our upstairs remodel. Also took the opportunity to get some color in there, which was sorely lacking. Really pleased with the results so far, still need to replace the baseboard trim and also going to replace the horrible stick on vinyl tiles above the shower with some glass backsplash style tile.

Maybe this is an unreasonable instinct, but I'd be pretty paranoid of putting more exposed OSB edges in an area that's known to be prone to water damage (though maybe the vinyl flooring will help with this)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm currently renting a home with a woodstove, which is great, my last house (well, technically still my current house, but I'm not living there, long story) has a woodstove, I love them...the smell, the "cozy"-ness, etc...

Technically, the main heat for the house is gas-powered radiators, but the landlord/owner of the house (he winters in Florida) has maybe 1.5 cord of wood he told me I'm free to burn, which I am, to the best of my ability. Saves money, since I pay the gas bill, but, as mentioned, the wood is free.

The problem is, a large portion of the wood, which is also the more dry/seasoned wood, is too wide to fit in the woodstove. It's mostly 18-20", and this is your standard stove that accepts 14-16" logs. Even trying to wedge them in at an angle doesn't work.

There is maybe 1/2 a cord of smaller wood that fits, but it's wet and WET. But which I meant it's wet as in green/not seasoned long enough, and it's wet as in wasn't covered at all during fall and start of winter so just got rained on. I can get a fire going with kindling made from the dryer wood, and keep it going with the wet wood, but obviously it's not as efficient as it could be and creating a lot of ash...I am wondering what the best solution would be to essentially chop all the large pieces in half length-wise.

I own a circular saw, but that would be tedious and I'd have to cut each log on at least two if not three sides, and even then on large pieces might have a small "tab" of wood left connected in the middle I'd have to break.

Or I was thinking buying a cheap electric chainsaw from Harbor Freight to just cut several in half at once? I would prefer not to spend money, but even $50-60 on the chainsaw would likely save more than that much in gas money, since when the woodstove is going the gas furnace doesn't need to run at all, even with burning the "bad" wood.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Get a firewood splitter for 100$ on amazon and a sledgehammer

You definitely don’t want to chainsaw half a cord of wood the long way. That sounds kinda dangerous unless you have an awesome jig to hold the wood in.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BigFactory posted:

Get a firewood splitter for 100$ on amazon and a sledgehammer

You definitely don’t want to chainsaw half a cord of wood the long way. That sounds kinda dangerous unless you have an awesome jig to hold the wood in.
Sounds like he needs to cut it shorter, not split it. Cheap chainsaw seems like the best solution.

(Unless I'm totally misreading it, but I cant imagine he's feeding a stove 14-20" diameter logs.)

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 31, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Sounds like he needs to cut it shorter, not split it. Cheap chainsaw seems like the best solution.

(Unless I'm totally misreading it, but I cant imagine he's feeding a stove 14-20" diameter logs.)

That’s what I thought at first too, but he said it’s too wide, not too long?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BigFactory posted:

That’s what I thought at first too, but he said it’s too wide, not too long?

I mistyped, but yes, it's too long. The landlord left a splitting wedge and sledge and hatchet.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I would do the cheap chainsaw and make a jig to hold the wood.

Since its a rental and you mention burning wet wood, sweep the chimney and make sure you have good insurance.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
http://imgur.com/a/z02jWzR

A half-assed sketch of the kind of jig I imagine for this sorta thing.

Make it a few inches shorter than the length of the shortest piece you need to cut. For less chance of binding but more work you would make another set of Xs close to the middle and just cut between them.

I'd also recommend making the cross brace, if you have one a good bit lower than where the logs will rest, so you don't accidentally go cutting it with the chainsaw along with the log.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

rdb posted:

I would do the cheap chainsaw and make a jig to hold the wood.

Since its a rental and you mention burning wet wood, sweep the chimney and make sure you have good insurance.

Chimney was swept right before I moved in, and I guess I'll have to get renter's insurance again...I'm guessing things I own in a rental aren't covered by my existing homeowner's policy on the home I own?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Chimney was swept right before I moved in, and I guess I'll have to get renter's insurance again...I'm guessing things I own in a rental aren't covered by my existing homeowner's policy on the home I own?

It depends on too many unknown factors to render an accurate assessment here, of course; but generally, it depends on how temporary this situation is, and the reason for it. "Things you own" are often covered to a pretty surprising extent, actually. As in, if you pick the building up and shake it, the stuff that falls out is "personal property". If it's part of the building, that's another story. But then, that's generally on the building owner's policy...

But anyway, obviously check with your agent

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

It depends on too many unknown factors to render an accurate assessment here, of course; but generally, it depends on how temporary this situation is, and the reason for it. "Things you own" are often covered to a pretty surprising extent, actually. As in, if you pick the building up and shake it, the stuff that falls out is "personal property". If it's part of the building, that's another story. But then, that's generally on the building owner's policy...

But anyway, obviously check with your agent

Though ironically if you literally pickup the building and shake it nothing is covered without a earthquake policy.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Its more the liability of lighting a fire in someone else’s living room. Your existing homeowners may or may not cover that. As a landlord my agent said damages from tenants using the wood stove would not be covered and it was best to remove it.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Our tenants' insurance covers our property not in our home, but we paid extra for that. Something to check, definitely.

And yeah, as above ^^^, it doesn't cover damage to someone else's property.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Are there any smart outside soffit LED systems out there? Or is my best bet to get some regular fixtures installed and spring for some hue or other smart bulbs that are outdoor rated?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Are there any smart outside soffit LED systems out there? Or is my best bet to get some regular fixtures installed and spring for some hue or other smart bulbs that are outdoor rated?

Why would you want "smart" individual bulbs for soffit lighting.

I'm just being really judgy here, but have you heard of structural electrical wiring? You can even run that to a zwave compatible switch if you want to control it with home automation. I'm not sure in what circumstance you would need to individually change the color temperature of your soffit lights on the fly from your smartphone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Alright first project at my new-ish house.

phase 1: replace wire shelving on right side with something that won't sag like the wire poo poo does.

max width shouldnt be too wide for melamine to have to worry about sagging, but the stuff does look like poo poo.

so is plywood my next best bet? any input on if it's really worth the extra time and effort to build as a cabinet with adjustable pin shelves?

Phase 2: build cabinet with drawers for awkward space on the left (this is built under the stairs to the 2nd floor)

i have no other ideas how to use this space, it's way too short for me to get anything off the deep end of the shelving that's currently in there. open to other ideas if anyone has any.

still not sure what to do with this dumb AF pantry:

any thoughts on how deep i should make the shelves?

any thoughts about adjustable shelving (with shelf pins)? ive never had a real pantry and its nice and all but i dont want to do this twice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure in what circumstance you would need to individually change the color temperature of your soffit lights on the fly from your smartphone.

Ever heard of Christmas?!?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Motronic posted:

Why would you want "smart" individual bulbs for soffit lighting.

I'm just being really judgy here, but have you heard of structural electrical wiring? You can even run that to a zwave compatible switch if you want to control it with home automation. I'm not sure in what circumstance you would need to individually change the color temperature of your soffit lights on the fly from your smartphone.

Not temp, I want to adjust color accordingly. I'm getting jealous of the houses around us lighting theirs up purple, green, and gold for mardi gras because it looks really slick

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I got smartbulbs for 3 front outdoor lights because their switches are in stupid places in this 90s era house and I can set a schedule for them and forget about them forever now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

45cm is a pretty reasonable depth. You may not be able to make all of that understairs space useful, and that's ok. As long as you can stack rolls of paper towels or toilet paper. It could also accommodate large items like folding stools or store a vacuum.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

mutata posted:

I got smartbulbs for 3 front outdoor lights because their switches are in stupid places in this 90s era house and I can set a schedule for them and forget about them forever now.

I have trouble understanding why folks go for the smartbulb here, except maybe in cases where you want finer grained control of individual lights on a switch circuit. I just dealt with a similar problem and smart switches seemed like a much better solution.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sounds like their three lights are on more than one switch, in which case it’s kind of a wash, cost-wise.

Other more general reasons that spring to mind:

You need a three-wire circuit for smart switches.
You may be renting.

And it’s easier.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah they're on different switches and one of them is on a huge switch bank of, like, 8 switches in a row all in one plate because sure why not!

Not gonna lie here either, being able to control color and wam/cold tones is nice as well. I mainly just did it for the easy scheduling though.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sounds like their three lights are on more than one switch, in which case it’s kind of a wash, cost-wise.

Other more general reasons that spring to mind:

You need a three-wire circuit for smart switches.
You may be renting.

And it’s easier.

Fair enough, though Lutron smart switches don't need three wire circuits.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

any thoughts about adjustable shelving (with shelf pins)? ive never had a real pantry and its nice and all but i dont want to do this twice.

I have some 12 inch deep cabinets, 18 inch deep shelves and 24 inch deep cabinet/shelf combos (ikea IVAR) in my kitchen, but no pantry.

24 inches is probably too deep for cabinets, to be honest. I mostly put appliances and larger items on that depth, but I also use it for canned goods and food. I am unable to take advantage of the depths very well with food items, though.

I have 2 6ft long 18 inch deep shelves spanning across 3 windows over my sink. I store cups and plates and large items like mixing bowls here.

12 inch deep standard cabinets hold a variety of items.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So our open kitchen is about to make me commit murder. As you can see, the kitchen is directly behind the couch, and the noise when anyone is cooking/cleaning/moving/breathing shoots right out into the living room. It's finally driving us all nuts (after a remodel thanks to Harvey). We can't really rearrange the room due to placement of the fireplace, back door, and windows.

What I'm looking for is a way to block the sound from the kitchen. I've thought of closing it off entirely or partially, making some kind of removable sound barrier, etc. At this point I'm about to hang a loving acoustic blanket up just as a temporary fix.

Any suggestions/ideas? I'm open to pretty much anything at this point. I don't really want to remove the granite because that poo poo is expensive, but we don't use the breakfast bar for anything except for Christmas cards and such.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

But HGTV told me that every house must have a fully open concept or it's a claustrophobic, outdated, shithole from the 80s. If I can't walk in the front door and see all your dirty pans in the sink, I'm telling my agent to scratch that house.

Seriously though, you already covered the ghetto fix: some type of temporary barrier sitting on that shelf or blanket from the ceiling. It would be worth closing it in correctly by ripping into the ceiling and extending a new frame down to the half wall's frame, after you stripped the countertop. Then, drywall the new frame. Most of the effort is drywalling/finishing work, the frame itself would be simple to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Nasty posted:

But HGTV told me that every house must have a fully open concept or it's a claustrophobic, outdated, shithole from the 80s. If I can't walk in the front door and see all your dirty pans in the sink, I'm telling my agent to scratch that house.

Seriously though, you already covered the ghetto fix: some type of temporary barrier sitting on that shelf or blanket from the ceiling. It would be worth closing it in correctly by ripping into the ceiling and extending a new frame down to the half wall's frame, after you stripped the countertop. Then, drywall the new frame. Most of the effort is drywalling/finishing work, the frame itself would be simple to build.

I love my old colonial with a giant kitchen totally separated from the giant living room by a formal dining room and the center hall.

It used to have a swinging door between the kitchen and dining room. So happy no former owner tore out the wall between the kitchen and the dining room.