Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BraveUlysses posted:

i have the stubby m12 in 1/2 and its neat but i have no real use for it because my cars are new enough they dont need much work :v:

Now is the time to acquire said tools, while you're not spending money on repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

Now is the time to acquire said tools, while you're not spending money on repairs.

I like this logic! Build up that strategic tool reserve for all of the impending jobs.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

i hope you bought the 1/2 instead of 3/8

As the owner of a fuckoff huge 1/2" Milwaukee impacter, I would probably use that 3/8" far more frequently. The 1/2" is great when you need the Nut Fucker 5000, but it's huge and loving heavy. That stubber looks like a great size, I may have to buy one for myself...

angryrobots posted:

Sounds like you need a basin wrench.

You're right, that's a sweet tool. As a bonus, I was going through my father-in-law's garage so we could hide any tools that are remotely useful or destructive (his Alzheimer's is getting worse and he's a bad DIYer on a good day) I found a telescoping one. :hellyeah:

We also found a WWII RPG that we missed in the first couple of weapons sweeps.

I also got the small Tektron crow's foot set, which looks fine and comes with a decent metal rack.

Two of the three boxes for the Quickjack showed up, the other one got put on the wrong truck and has been going back and forth between Oakland, San Rafael, and SF for the last few days. No Sat delivery so I can't get my jack-off until Wednesday. :facepalm:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Taint posted:

As the owner of a fuckoff huge 1/2" Milwaukee impacter, I would probably use that 3/8" far more frequently. The 1/2" is great when you need the Nut Fucker 5000, but it's huge and loving heavy. That stubber looks like a great size, I may have to buy one for myself...

The stubby comes in 1/2” is the point I think

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
I bet a PIAT makes a hell of an anti stuck bolt device!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Kinda random question/recommendations:
I like using bags for storage and organization. Not just tools, but I find them useful when taking a random assortment of things to work (I put some common sockets in one, a set of wrenches in another, and am using an Altoids tin to hold some socket adapters). These are my favorites except for being mono-black and easy to loose in the black pit of my main tool bag.

CLC 1100 3 Pack Multi-Purpose Clip-on Zippered Poly Bags https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YVBC0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Zn7jCbS43TCRM

I also like these, though they are too flimsy for tool use. They're great for electronics (got my phone chargers and cables stored in one).

Vaultz Mesh Storage Bags, Assorted Colors and Sizes, 4 Bags (VZ01211) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CDD0X8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5O7jCb1DZPTY0

I was wondering if anyone had others they'd recommend...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I've got a bunch of these bags that I use for tool stuff that I really like. Got them for free though, that's the only reason that I use them over actual tool bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-BG1-Protective-Microphone-Pouch/dp/B00164KP0O

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've got a bunch of these bags that I use for tool stuff that I really like. Got them for free though, that's the only reason that I use them over actual tool bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-BG1-Protective-Microphone-Pouch/dp/B00164KP0O

What kind of tools do you store in those though?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Look cool, thanks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I ordered a bundle of CLC canvas tool pouches and bags for gun parts and tools, they’re pretty durable. Most of my tools stay in the garage but if not I use the bag that came with my Milwaukee drill set, its like a doctors bag.

Edit: I failed to open the first link, that’s exactly what I have.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

StormDrain posted:

I ordered a bundle of CLC canvas tool pouches and bags for gun parts and tools, they’re pretty durable. Most of my tools stay in the garage but if not I use the bag that came with my Milwaukee drill set, its like a doctors bag.

Edit: I failed to open the first link, that’s exactly what I have.

Yeah, going to miss the "Doctor Bag" Sears rewards thing when trying to do calculus on the award points to pick up a freebie.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

powderific posted:

The stubby comes in 1/2” is the point I think

Absolutely, especially since why would you want to waste money on impact rated 3/8in sockets when you could be buying Astro 1/2in low profile sockets instead

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks magical.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Father-in-law just picked me up a Rigid JobMax 4 amp multi-tool. I'm gonna go cut some stuff, be back later.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

What kind of tools do you store in those though?

Drill bits and attachments. Spare screws and drywall anchors. Allen wrenches. Zip ties.

EDIT: Here are a couple, they're all at least 8 or 9 years old at this point.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 30, 2018

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have a bunch of these Klein bags that I like a lot:

Utility Bag, Zipper Tool Bags in Olive, Orange, Blue, Yellow, 12.5-Inch Canvas, 4 Piece Klein Tools 5140 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MKDUKU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tadkCb72PMGSH

I also use a canvas bucket thing from Harbor Freight to carry parts and assorted poo poo around when I’m not bringing my full kit with the hand truck. This guy:

https://m.harborfreight.com/round-canvas-bag-94320.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Man, I like those bags. Seems like it'd be great to keep sockets in to help separate them in my truck. I just dump everything into either a Craftsman canvas bag or a bigger Harbor Freight bag (Hercules brand thing). It's not very organized.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I got a new toolbox for christmas, and am looking for organizers - what do you guys use?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got these for my wrenches.

Ernst Manufacturing Wrench Rail Set, 40 Tool, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR03K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lknkCbQBEVMF4

They were really tippy and would fall over with the slightest movement, so I glued them to a board. Otherwise, okay? I see there's a version with a magnet, now.

I believe my socket holders are from HF. Functional. Cheap. Nothing special. My boss got some Craftsman ones that list the size of the socket on the stick that goes up through the middle which are slightly nicer.

Everything else just lays there or is in the case it came in. Stuck a magnet under the lid for my pliers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a bunch of IKEA drawer trays for my wrenches and misc sockets. Works fairly well with the HF US General box.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

BraveUlysses posted:

Absolutely, especially since why would you want to waste money on impact rated 3/8in sockets when you could be buying Astro 1/2in low profile sockets instead

How are you liking the Nano sockets? I'm looking at the 3/8 model because I figure if the stubby is coming out (heh) it's because of clearance issues. Why not just go as compact as possible.

1/2" vs 3/8" drive

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Uthor posted:

I got these for my wrenches.

Ernst Manufacturing Wrench Rail Set, 40 Tool, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR03K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lknkCbQBEVMF4

They were really tippy and would fall over with the slightest movement, so I glued them to a board. Otherwise, okay? I see there's a version with a magnet, now.

I believe my socket holders are from HF. Functional. Cheap. Nothing special. My boss got some Craftsman ones that list the size of the socket on the stick that goes up through the middle which are slightly nicer.

Everything else just lays there or is in the case it came in. Stuck a magnet under the lid for my pliers.

The HF socket holder sets, and I say with an incredulous amount of WTF...are overpriced for what you get. Serviceable. But they should be around a buck a piece.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Colostomy Bag posted:

The HF socket holder sets, and I say with an incredulous amount of WTF...are overpriced for what you get. Serviceable. But they should be around a buck a piece.

Except that they are literally a dollar?

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-socket-rail-39722.html

Good timing in the thread for those super shallow impact sockets. The HF snubby air impact is down to $95 right now (normally $115) and I'm strongly considering it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

How are you liking the Nano sockets? I'm looking at the 3/8 model because I figure if the stubby is coming out (heh) it's because of clearance issues. Why not just go as compact as possible.

1/2" vs 3/8" drive

Haven't needed to use them! But I'm a big fan of the low profile and that you can turn them with an open ended wrench if needed

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Colostomy Bag posted:

I don't like those things, I have a few of these in my socket drawer.

Also, you made me order those short impact sockets, they appear to be life changing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Those suck.

I was talking about these.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-pc-sae-socket-trayorganizer-68100.html

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I have these too, they fit great in one of my taller toolchest drawers and I love them because I can easily pull one out and take it over to wherever I'm working. Downside is the inevitable and near-instant compulsion to have a socket for every post.

Please don't anyone waste $1.00 on those HF socket rails they are seriously awful. I can't believe how long I struggled with those things because SO CHEAP :downs: Buy a scratcher or a pack of gum instead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I have these too, they fit great in one of my taller toolchest drawers and I love them because I can easily pull one out and take it over to wherever I'm working. Downside is the inevitable and near-instant compulsion to have a socket for every post.
Yeah, that can be kind of annoying for the 1/8" ratchet size since it has spots for dumb poo poo like 5.5mm. On the other hand, you can stack two 10mm on the single post :v:

The thing I don't like about those is that they have nothing to prevent you from accidentally mixing up sizes, whereas the one I linked has round extrusions that reject sockets that aren't at least as large as the size notated

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Please don't anyone waste $1.00 on those HF socket rails they are seriously awful. I can't believe how long I struggled with those things because SO CHEAP :downs: Buy a scratcher or a pack of gum instead.

Are they that bad? I have the same thing but Proto-branded, and it works great. They seem so simple I don't know how HF would gently caress 'em up. It's just stamped sheet metal.

I don't like the peg style ones because they don't retain sockets other than by gravity, and they look like they take up a lot of space. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion. The metal clip style ones hold pretty good, and I can just grab the rail of sockets that are appropriate for what I'm working on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, I've gotten into the habit of only pulling the tools from my boxes that I absolutely need for exactly what I am working on and put them back as soon as I am done. I try and keep everything really organized, otherwise things tend to get lost / tripped on / forgotten / etc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The thing I don't like about those is that they have nothing to prevent you from accidentally mixing up sizes, whereas the one I linked has round extrusions that reject sockets that aren't at least as large as the size notated

Yeah, they work fine for me, they're not my ideal solution.

Raluek posted:

Are they that bad? I have the same thing but Proto-branded, and it works great. They seem so simple I don't know how HF would gently caress 'em up. It's just stamped sheet metal.

I don't like the peg style ones because they don't retain sockets other than by gravity, and they look like they take up a lot of space. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion. The metal clip style ones hold pretty good, and I can just grab the rail of sockets that are appropriate for what I'm working on.

There used to be a nice version with a flexible rail that would get recommended here. I don't like them cause they are a PITA to use and tend to be hard on my hands.

I used a Gearwrench hex bit set that came with a nice rail that I wouldn't mind over the HF ones.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Raluek posted:

I know, it seems like they'd be real hard to screw up. I think it was mainly an issue with the QC on the stamped socket retainer stubs. A full third of my 1/2" sockets would always fall off, and it seemed to be the same ones. I'd throw the rail in a toolbag in the back of my Jeep for a weekend trip, and by the time I got home a bunch of them would have fallen off despite the toolbag never getting opened. I'm not a hardcore rock bouncer guy either. I suppose I could begrudgingly say the 3/8 rails worked alright but they did have a lot of sharp edges. If you used them for deep sockets, the stubs/sockets on either end usually found a way to slip off the rail. This happened even when I was just working on stuff in the driveway. Maybe I got a few bad ones, who knows.

that's my scathing 1/5 star yelp review of a $0.99 bit of metal thanks for reading

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

For socket racks, I have a bunch like this:

And a bunch like this:

Both are fine. The plastic ones are easier to trim to length, and you can find both styles in different colors. My tools travel a lot, so I put a premium on the rack not shedding its contents when it's in a bag or I drop it versus standing up in my toolbox.

The stamped metal HF ones are trash.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Got to say I’m a rail guy too. I can’t remember the sizes for everything, so I’d rather have them all right by. Working on a kit for my roll up bag just for this purpose.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I remebered there used to be a flexible urethane socket rail that people seemed to like that I was going to buy some of, but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere now. This amazon page (saying they're out of stock) looks to be the same thing, but I can't find the original store anymore. Off Road Tools or something?

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Rail-Storage-Drive-Sockets/dp/B01N7H8UYW

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

boxen posted:

I remebered there used to be a flexible urethane socket rail that people seemed to like that I was going to buy some of, but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere now. This amazon page (saying they're out of stock) looks to be the same thing, but I can't find the original store anymore. Off Road Tools or something?

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Rail-Storage-Drive-Sockets/dp/B01N7H8UYW

Yeah I remember those, I think kastein discovered them. Try asking in his thread.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Offroad Trail Tools - but the website seems to be defunct.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yep. I bought a full set of both colors. They we're okay, definitely far too irritating for anything but a mobile kit. It was Expedition Exchange but they do seem to be gone.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I bought a 3/8 rail, the plastic was not flexible enough, getting sockets on and off was a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I have a full set of those also and they’re ... alright. They won’t hold big sockets (due to size and weight), and the pin that the socket snaps on to seems to break with age. (Mine are probably about three years old and I’ve found several sockets with pin still in them at the bottom of tool bags.)

I like them in theory, but they don’t quite live up to it.