Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you get five wanted stars while in space, a Sentinel super freighter will jump in and wreck your poo poo. Even if you have a top of the line combat ship, beating one is still going to be fairly hard.

And yes a fully upgraded Phase Beam is basically God's own death stare and the only ship weapon you'll ever need. Unless you want to toss in a Cyclotron Ballista for variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

What is the most efficient way to get frigate fuel? I've been farming asteroids for the tritium (obviously) and doing the di-hydrogen to Jelly and back to di-hydrogen trick, but that it's fairly tedious. Now that I have more of them, and all of the available missions seem to be much longer duration than the starter missions, they go through big chunks of fuel all at once.

Also, is there any way to move my base computer to a different spot inside a base without deleting it? Right now it seems like I can either place it away from where I actually want to build, or have it sit on bare ground surrounded by normal floor panels and the rest of my base.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Honestly I've never found a way to move a base computer. It's kind of annoying.

For freighter fuel, by far the fastest way is to just find a high supply system, park at the station, and find an NPC ship that's selling 4000+ tritium and buy the whole lot. Tritium's sale price is extremely low so even buying obscene amounts is fairly inexpensive, especially when you consider how much even a single frigate mission will bring back. While you're getting tritium, buy up a bunch of Dihydrogen Jelly as well. Back on your freighter, toss the jelly into a refiner to turn it into di-hydrogen. Now you have both components for making frigate fuel in bulk.

Due to Space Magic, you can also convert di-hydrogen into jelly and back and wind up with more di-hydrogen than you started with. Jelly to di-hydrogen is almost instantaneous and di-hydrogen to jelly takes a couple of minutes, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah buying tritium is the way to go. Also just buy jelly, its relatively cheap, and faster than doing the jelly/hydro multiplying trick. Like mentioned, you will make more money from the expeditions then you will spend on fuel components. So it isn't worth the time to get all that free dihydro.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Well that's an interesting, kinda exploity thing I stumbled upon, which is probably well-known by everyone already.

Terrain Manipulator digging out the ground under packs of whispering eggs drops their goo balls but doesn't summon the horrors until you start picking them up. Grab a bunch, jetpack to safety, stick them into a refiner: free nanites.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wait you can put the eggs into refiners for nanites?! I always just sold them, until they nerfed them at least.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, they're 1:50 to nanites.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I don't know why I'm doing dailies for this doomed community event but I am. In the process of exploring for it, I found a mega exotic planet with extreme weather and extreme sentinels in a high conflict / low supply system. So of course I built a giant base on it.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Quesion about the base computer series of missions...
I'm pretty sure I'm near the end, and I have gotten 3 or 4 of nearly identical missions, to locate a backup archive in another system. After getting to the indicated location, it goes to the usual archive recovery in progress bit with a six hour timer.

Is this how it's supposed to work?
Each time it takes me to a different, nearby system, and the logs it shows me are all different with different loot, but the repetitive-ness of it has me a little worried that my quest is bugged.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, that's normal. It repeats that stage like a dozen times with the only difference being the lore text you get from the archive.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

No, that's normal. It repeats that stage like a dozen times with the only difference being the lore text you get from the archive.

Wait, it isn't just a generic repeating quest? It continues on past that stage? I genuinely thought it had just turned into a procedurally generated daily quest.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah - there's a finite number of archive storyline texts to receive, and once you get them all it progresses to the final stage where you just go to the base computer to pick up a salvaged technology item.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well I guess that's another thing I can finish up while I expand my vast space empire that nobody will ever find.

It never ceases to amaze me that they did not add a basic ramp as a large structural component. There are stairs for basic components and cuboid rooms and you can build ramps on your freighter. Why are ladders the only way to move between levels in a base built out of large components unless you break up your base style in an ugly and awkward way?

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Is it possible to summon your ships to your freighter's docking bay after you have landed there in your 'primary'?
I have tried doing this the same way as on the surface of a planet, but can't get anything to show up. Otherwise I can't figure out how I would switch ships unless I am on a planet's surface.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I don't think so. Because "reasons", as with every other QoL issue. The only way to get all your ships back on board is to go to a different system, and warp your freighter in. Then all of your ships should be on board.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Alpine Mustache posted:

Is it possible to summon your ships to your freighter's docking bay after you have landed there in your 'primary'?
I have tried doing this the same way as on the surface of a planet, but can't get anything to show up. Otherwise I can't figure out how I would switch ships unless I am on a planet's surface.

Unless I am misunderstanding, all of your owned ships should already be landed there, somewhere in the 3 rows of 3 bays.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Daedalus1134 posted:

Unless I am misunderstanding, all of your owned ships should already be landed there, somewhere in the 3 rows of 3 bays.

If they were summoned on a planet, they wouldn't be there I don't think.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:negative:

I chose Eissentam hoping for a bounty of pretty lush worlds to choose to build on and then just spent the entirety of the day warping between systems looking for a single one that wasn't orange grass and purple trees. And then finally found one and it was pea soup-green grass with red trees and hostile sentinels.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Been having a pretty good time with this time sink of a game..

Can someone tell me what type of planet I should be looking for for it to be mostly deep underwater? The closest i've found is "Paradise planet" and it's not that big of an ocean basically.

here's some pictures from recent places that seem weird to me but maybe normal after you've played more than 40 hours..

Also bonus: feeds on failure and longs to be consumed.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Been having a pretty good time with this time sink of a game..

Can someone tell me what type of planet I should be looking for for it to be mostly deep underwater? The closest i've found is "Paradise planet" and it's not that big of an ocean basically.

You can see the size of the ocean from space. But the planetgen seems to have a fairly shallow 'bedrock' depth so oceans don't really seem to be able to be especially deep, sadly. Which is disappointing because people doing the 'It's like Subnautica but even better now!' hype was what got me to get the game.

I haven't really found an interesting ocean yet, though I also haven't spent super long exploring the oceans. I'm trying to find a place to make an ocean base alongside my search for not-terrible lush planets though. But I'm starting to think maybe I should just settle another nice tundra planet.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 31, 2018

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Daedalus1134 posted:

I have only ever seen two of my three ships in the freighter at one time, though I admit I probably haven't examined all three rows too closely. I just bought a new freighter last night before I stopped playing so I will have to warp around and check in the new one.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Unfortunately you're lucky to find an ocean deeper than about 50 feet, and 100 feet is really rare. And moons never have a water table so no use searching them for oceanfront property.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Thundarr posted:

Unfortunately you're lucky to find an ocean deeper than about 50 feet, and 100 feet is really rare. And moons never have a water table so no use searching them for oceanfront property.

Well poo poo... Are there any mods that fix this or is it just how the engine is built?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

redmas, on the Alien Worlds 3 mod comments on Nexusmods posted:

For keeping saves integrety and multiplayer, changing the planets ' relief is impossible; unfortunally :)

I have come across this screenshot though, and would love to find something like this for building in at least

...so I've found a little underwater spot I've decided to start building in, and uh.. it turns out the 'portalling to a base places your ship on the ground nearby if there's no landing pad' thing works underwater. So.. my ship is now parked on the ocean floor, which is nice. My chosen ocean spot is only about half as deep as the screenshot though, but at least it's pretty.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 2, 2019

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
So, this game is not terrible. I havent gotten the free freighter yet. I saw in OP it mentions how to find crashed ships. Will having the freighter give me the option to scoop crashed ships? Also, will I ever be able to mine using a vehicle or just get a much stronger mining laser? I am sort of done with slowly farming carbon/dihydrogen and oxygen.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You can always pick up crashed ships. They will show up parked in the freighter once you get one.

And yeah you can get an advanced mining laser upgrade for your exocraft so you can directly mine condensed carbon etc. I forget if you get that blueprint from the base missions or for sale at space stations. Note that even with the expanded inventory space they added, the Nomad still won't have room for mining anyything unless you don't install any goesfast mods (why wouldn't you?). All other exocraft will be fine for mining though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The main purpose of the Nomad was to allow practical exploration of mostly-water planets, I'm not sure if it still has this niche after the Abyss update.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The main purpose of the Nomad is driving up vertical cliffs and making sick jumps, though they nerfed exocraft boost so that doesn't work as well now. And sometimes you want to skim over the surface of water instead of diving through it, depending on the terrain and the resources you're looking for.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

So, this game is not terrible. I havent gotten the free freighter yet. I saw in OP it mentions how to find crashed ships. Will having the freighter give me the option to scoop crashed ships? Also, will I ever be able to mine using a vehicle or just get a much stronger mining laser? I am sort of done with slowly farming carbon/dihydrogen and oxygen.

Space stations have two sides, one of them has the vendor terminal and mission giver, and the other has a bunch of people in booths. Those booth people sell mods for your stuff, and the first one along the way sells multitool mods, including mining laser power mods. You'll need to do missions and stuff for nanite clusters to buy them, though.

Also each time you go to a new space station, head along to the end of that row and poke the glowing blue backpack looking thing to buy more inventory slots.

By the way, you can scoop crashed ships already if you like. Just pick the 'buy' option rather than 'exchange.' Any ships that you own will retroactively turn up on your freighter when you get one. This way, if you find a nice hauler crashed somewhere, you can repair it just enough to be flyable and take it back to the space station and use it to trade for a ship that works.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

So I just went through this issue... Plug 3 s-scanner upgrades (second option on the multitool vendor, if he has one.. buy it then save and reload to buy another.) into a not great but lots of slots multitool you can afford and then make lots of money exploring planets, scanning plants and animals only (minerals only give 200 space bucks every time) and buy the materials you need. I managed to find a 42 slot c class hauler for ship and it's been great, just kept scanning distress signals. Jumped a couple space stations to buy all the paraffium and chromatic metals I needed to repair everything on it.. from the space ships that land that is.

Lastly, buy dihydrogen jelly for cheap and plug it into the refiner for 250 stacks dihydrogen when needed, never have to mine the stuff again.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also bonus: feeds on failure and longs to be consumed.

:same: if consumed includes obliterated by an asteroid

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I kind of got into Elite on the PC but saw no mans sky for sale in Walmart @ $9 for the PS4 so I picked it up.

Is it playable on a console or is the PC the way to go?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's playable on console, to the degree that it's not any less stable or unnecessarily clumsy. PC does have a bunch of QOL mods you can't get on PS4 but it's not a compromised experience.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The PS4 version is perfectly fine and runs stable, though the quick menu for building stuff is a little wonky (down on d-pad, then UP for some stuff like flashlight, things like that)

It is too bad that you can't build little mini-bases everywhere, Subnautica spoiled me in that regard, because you could make oxygen stations in hard-to-reach areas. Though at least in NMS you can warp back to your one base any time you please.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm on PS4 and I do have semi regular soft locks that require me to kill the game from the PS4 menu. Only once or twice has it fully hard locked the system, and I'm terrified of spending much time on toxic planets because of the multiple times they have caused bizarre desynch issues that broke the game and persisted through save files.

It does run fine probably 95% of the time on my release day PS4 though :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

The PS4 version is perfectly fine and runs stable, though the quick menu for building stuff is a little wonky (down on d-pad, then UP for some stuff like flashlight, things like that)

It is too bad that you can't build little mini-bases everywhere, Subnautica spoiled me in that regard, because you could make oxygen stations in hard-to-reach areas. Though at least in NMS you can warp back to your one base any time you please.

You can, just not on the same planet.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You can also install underwater shelters or oxygen collectors anywhere to serve as way stations, and beacons to help you find the spot again, though for the most part in NMS there is little reason to re-visit a wilderness area you've been to before.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Is there a way to "bookmark" something? Like if you find a small trading Post or minor settlement?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Is there a way to "bookmark" something? Like if you find a small trading Post or minor settlement?

Beacons. And/or naming the planet/system accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I tried installing a couple of mods and it crashed on startup every time. Is there a guide or something I can get started with? I'm mainly after things that make everything feel bigger, more spread out, and more dangerous (Not necessarily from pirates).