Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently a fair number have also never heard of "someone entirely new". Like, they just can't conceive of any human being beyond those that were presented to them on that list.

There's also the possibility that there were a few people going "lol Hillary Clinton? Never heard of her!" as a joke. You'll get a few "no" responses even if you poll people on "do you need oxygen to live?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently a fair number have also never heard of "someone entirely new". Like, they just can't conceive of any human being beyond those that were presented to them on that list.

Someone I've never heard of? Hmm, I dunno, I've never heard of them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Remember that polls are just incredibly lovely as a method of gathering data.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Why wouldn't everyone vote for the imaginary candidate of their dreams?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SupSuper posted:

Why wouldn't everyone vote for the imaginary candidate of their dreams?

Historical trends of Democrat candidates?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
BRASIL NÃO É UM PAÍS PEQUENO

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Breakdown of presents your true love gives to you over Christmas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TinTower posted:

Breakdown of presents your true love gives to you over Christmas.

The “rings” are also birds, specifically ring‐necked pheasants.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Um, isn't people (12+11+10+9+8) 50/78 = 64%
(or 5/12 = 42%)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You get a partridge on all twelve days.
Two turtle doves on the last eleven.
Three french hens on the last ten.

And so on.

You get 184 birds, 40 rings, and 140 people, including 66 members of the aristocracy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Henchman of Santa posted:

A small portion of Americans are so disengaged that they have apparently never heard of Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden
https://twitter.com/robillard/status/1078033672983511040?s=21

A small portion of any phone poll participants are drunk, high, mentally ill, hard of hearing and/or immigrants who only barely understand the questions.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In the context of "how would you feel about them running for president", I kind of feel like "never heard of them" is a fairly rational response, compared to "makes no difference" (of course who is running for president makes a difference, at least in theory), "Excited!" (I wouldnt be excited if this new person is a bag of dicks like elon musk or some poo poo) or "Shouldnt run" (if the person I've never heard of has policies I agree with and has a good chance of winning then they should run).

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Nenonen posted:

A small portion of any phone poll participants are drunk, high, mentally ill, hard of hearing and/or immigrants who only barely understand the questions.

Everyone on cspam is at least two of those things, and we're the best source of political news on the inter net.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What if I want someone to run because I think they would be a spoiler candidate and thereby aid my preferred candidate?

By process of elimination, I’d have to say “Excited”, but that’s a misleading thing to say.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Sometimes a variety of responses like "don't know," "not sure," or "refused to answer" are lumped under a single category when presenting the data.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like that's the number of people who pick wiseass answers like
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[X] All of the above

Edit: oh hay, another page

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I've been working with survey data the last few years and we get 2-3% of every sample saying they see or hear things other people cannot, which is considered completely normal for the non-mentally ill population. :shrug:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Ghost Joe Biden is real and strong and he's my friend

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

I've been working with survey data the last few years and we get 2-3% of every sample saying they see or hear things other people cannot, which is considered completely normal for the non-mentally ill population. :shrug:
Depending on how the question is phrased, I might answer yes to that thanks to tinnitus.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also the possibility that there were a few people going "lol Hillary Clinton? Never heard of her!" as a joke. You'll get a few "no" responses even if you poll people on "do you need oxygen to live?"
Kind of like the default "other" option in South Korean polls is "Nuke Japan"?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

While a bit sarcastic, this is an accurate description of the 2016 democratic primary.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

A lotta folks have lost their high frequency hearing and can't tell when an old as gently caress CRTs has a high pitched scream.

But yeah surveys generally are gonna have a lot of misresponses even when you aren't being a dumbass and giving teenagers the option of claiming they are fifty pound seven foot tall adopted quadruple amputees.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TinTower posted:

And so on.

You get 184 birds, 40 rings, and 140 people, including 66 members of the aristocracy.

And also assorted cruft that comes with all of it, like 12 trees and sufficient cows* to occupy all 40 maids.

* Note: the cows might actually be goats, or some other milk-producer. It's barely possible they're almonds.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/DataProgress/status/1076886420843831298

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

TinTower posted:

And so on.

Funnily enough,I made this graph the other day:

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Are the graphs critiquing it actually better? They picked a point size that means you lose the sense of distribution density, which is somewhat important for judging whether there's a trend or a bunch of random dots.

The NYT 'trend line' is stupid and bad, but I get a better sense of the data from their graph. Also, their poorly implemented trend line matches what they promised in their title. The thing that should have been fixed was switching the axes.

Whether the data should include social security is a completely separate argument.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Genuinely want to know their R2 for those.

Just how many places there are after the decimal before we get to the first number which isn't a zero.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm less shocked by the correlation in the second one and more by the fact that there are apparently 37 flavours of cap'n crunch.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Well not simultaneously.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

37 flavours of cap'n crunch.

In a row?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Aside from the obvious, there’s a charming kind of stupidity in the implication that plane size is the limiting factor on how many people use air travel.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Aside from the obvious, there’s a charming kind of stupidity in the implication that plane size is the limiting factor on how many people use air travel.

actually it’s because bigger planes can carry more autism spray to add to the chemtrails

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Works even worse because the data is bad: the 747 was first flown commercially in 1970, so the autism number from 1996 is completely irrelevant. It's still in production so the data point might as well be 2018 as 1996.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm less shocked by the correlation in the second one and more by the fact that there are apparently 37 flavours of cap'n crunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItiwFQIY6lU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

I'm not sure it's possible for this to be worse.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, it's always possible.

Search your feelings, you know that's true.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuevo posted:

I'm not sure it's possible for this to be worse.

My brain's refusing to process it. Is it comparing entirely different sets of objects in the bike counts?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Somfin posted:

My brain's refusing to process it. Is it comparing entirely different sets of objects in the bike counts?

The lengths of the bars are not what I’d have chosen for those values.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

No way, 8.54 million is definitely only about 2/3 of 5.6M.

Actually laying the numbers out like that, I'm wondering if they just hosed up and got the labels flipped. The bar sizing would be pretty accurate if it was the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, that part wasn't what my brain was breaking on, that was a clear fuckup. I'm noticing the asterisk and wondering if they're comparing different sets of bikes.