Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

By tampering/breaching do you mean they are approaching wrestlers currently signed with WWE before their contracts are up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

People working for AEW on and off the books are talking to WWE contracted talent in what they would say is a personal and non-professional setting

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Cavauro posted:

People working for AEW on and off the books are talking to WWE contracted talent in what they would say is a personal and non-professional setting

So Cody's tweeting at them?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
GCW's show last night was great you should go watch it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv2OMXngkEs

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

rovert posted:

The January class has been moved to February and they've decided not to sign a few people - defer it to Mae Young Classic time etc.

Anyway, things are rapidly changing indie wise AEW has been signing people up to last week. The deals are kinda Lucha Undergroundesque in length - 3 years.

AEW/WWE wise. Apparently, AEW ain't scared about breaching/tampering WWE contracts as they've more than enough money to face down WWE in Court. And we all know WWE contracts are bullshit.

January 1st is the start of the WWE/Fox era too. Expect NXT to become an actual third brand.

I wonder if those AEW contracts will be exclusive and I'm kinda shocked/amazed at AEW having enough money to take on the WWE in court as that has been the downfall of a lot of people taking WWE to court.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder if those AEW contracts will be exclusive and I'm kinda shocked/amazed at AEW having enough money to take on the WWE in court as that has been the downfall of a lot of people taking WWE to court.

Don't forget: this isn't Cody and the Bucks bankrolling themselves like All In, they have a billionaire backing them. And they probably told him exactly what they'd be doing.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

If they're smart they'd fund hit pieces targeting the WWE. Their closet is bursting with skeletons and if you can get a couple stories to get national traction you can start tarnishing their precious brand.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
courts are gonna rule in WWE's favor and make the non-competes legally enforceable b/c thats the timeline we live in, thanks a lot Cody

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
just a reminder that talking to talent under contract (i.e. we'll sign you when your contract is up next month) is NOT something you can go to court over. "tampering" in that sense is something that leagues like the NFL and MLB ban and enforce. compelling someone to break their contract is another story however

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TV Zombie posted:

Isn't the money behind AEW Shad Khan? Dude's actually, literally, one of the richest people in the world.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1079521556722839553

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Joey Janela is promoter of the year every year.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

Isn't the money behind AEW Shad Khan? Dude's actually, literally, one of the richest people in the world.

Impact is bankrolled by a billionaire too

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

exploded mummy posted:

Impact is bankrolled by a billionaire too

The post I was responding to was directly questioning if AEW had the money to handle WWE lawyers. I'm not sure what else you thought I was arguing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

The post I was responding to was directly questioning if AEW had the money to handle WWE lawyers. I'm not sure what else you thought I was arguing.

just because someone is rich doesnt mean that theyll bankroll them enough in endeavors

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

just because someone is rich doesnt mean that theyll bankroll them enough in endeavors

his dad bankrolled a professional football team in jacksonville over literally anywhere else in the world

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

exploded mummy posted:

But like, all I was doing was responding to the question of whether they'd have the money if they wanted to... which is what Rovert said they did and what the poster was responding to.

I'm not arguing AEW will do poo poo. I have no idea what their deal is. I don't think I actually believed it was for real until all those guys ditched ROH.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rare Magic card l00k posted:

his dad bankrolled a professional football team in jacksonville over literally anywhere else in the world

khan bought a 15 year old franchise in a league where ownership openings are few and far between

STAC Goat posted:

But like, all I was doing was responding to the question of whether they'd have the money if they wanted to... which is what Rovert said they did and what the poster was responding to.

I'm not arguing AEW will do poo poo. I have no idea what their deal is. I don't think I actually believed it was for real until all those guys ditched ROH. But like if the question is "do they have the potential money?" and the answer is "Shad Khan is backing this" then yeah, they potentially have that money for whatever.

you came off as being a lot more uncautiously optimistic to me

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

khan bought a 15 year old franchise

and this khan is buying a bunch of talent off a 15 year old franchise

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

I genuinely don't know. I assume they will be if they get a major TV deal and currently depends who you are. The Elite is by all accounts are being paid to sit out for the time being. Not booked for ROH at MSG, not signing at Wrestlecon etc. Non-key talent like current indie wrestlers still have bookings in the new year.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
lol im just imagining this meeting between cody and the bucks and shad khan where they pitch "okay so we want to do this thing where we have a big-budget wrestling show as a wwe competitor, but here's the catch - it will be good" and khan, intrigued, strokes his luxurious mustache.

not going to lie, they've got a good case for being handed the keys to such an endeavour. the bucks and kenny wrote the golden lovers reunion story with gedo's blessing iirc, and it was, literally, an international hit. they put on all in, an actual, successful ppv event, in a building the wwe regularly runs, and sold out in minutes (i was at work when tickets released, and welp lol i was busy for 10 minutes my bad). and being the elite has a dedicated fanbase, and exists as the outlet for the backstage skits and bits that njpw or roh might not facilitate, but would obviously be part of a big budget show. they've put together a good resume.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 31, 2018

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That successful ppv also somehow managed to wrap up a bunch of the storylines on being the elite. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic but they've shown that they have some talent with booking. If the stars align I think they have the skills to put on a good show.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They will finally have the money to afford body mics

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BOLA 2018, Smokey and the Bandido and all three PWG Sells Out volumes were added to the winter sale

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Khan also hates bullshit (like Trump). I am guessing that the Elite talked to him and brought up how McMahon is creating the XFL to directly compete with the NFL because Vince thinks the NFL no longer represents the average football fan. The Elite could easily sell AEW in the same way.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Bold idea.

https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1079754002231902209

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Khan also hates bullshit (like Trump). I am guessing that the Elite talked to him and brought up how McMahon is creating the XFL to directly compete with the NFL because Vince thinks the NFL no longer represents the average football fan. The Elite could easily sell AEW in the same way.

Or maybe This is a Dixie situation where Khan wants his son to have something that doesn’t gently caress with their actual money.

Or, more likely, they realize that there’s a market for this but they need someone who can bankroll it to start with.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Note that IndependentWrestling.tv redirects to PowerBomb.tv, so they may be rebranding

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Or maybe This is a Dixie situation where Khan wants his son to have something that doesn’t gently caress with their actual money.

Or, more likely, they realize that there’s a market for this but they need someone who can bankroll it to start with.

Meltzer has talked him up as a long time Observer reader and smart guy.

Whether people can put that into operation in Pro Wrestling is a very different story.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AEW hasn't announced anything and a fan is camping on their twitter handle, so its off to a roaring start.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Have...the Young Bucks helped with PWG's behind the scene stuff?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

TV Zombie posted:

Have...the Young Bucks helped with PWG's behind the scene stuff?

From what I recall, they became part owners around the time that Joey Ryan, Disco Machine, etc. left the behind the scenes side.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boco_T posted:

Note that IndependentWrestling.tv redirects to PowerBomb.tv, so they may be rebranding

That would actually be the best thing, because :lol: at a new streaming service for Indy wrestling starting ityool 2019 . That said from a branding standpoint I like Powerbomb more.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That would actually be the best thing, because :lol: at a new streaming service for Indy wrestling starting ityool 2019 . That said from a branding standpoint I like Powerbomb more.

I’m wondering if this has to do with the ouster of one of the co-founders of Powerbomb last year and the fallout from it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

probably more to differentiate themselves from the Powerslam streaming service. Which like the move implies, isn't nearly as cool as a powerbomb.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Independent is hard to spell.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blast0rama posted:

I’m wondering if this has to do with the ouster of one of the co-founders of Powerbomb last year and the fallout from it.

What happened?

coconono posted:

probably more to differentiate themselves from the Powerslam streaming service. Which like the move implies, isn't nearly as cool as a powerbomb.

Launching a service that sounds exactly like a competitors name, but worse, is very pro-wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What happened?

This summarizes it.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/...-appearance-iwa

Related:

https://twitter.com/newfoundmass/status/1079803788922404864