Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Don't get hung up on the idea that you need a close romantic partner to be happy, then you end up seeing the first person who treats you with any level of interest like an angel sent from heaven and fall for an idea of them that isn't real

At least in my experience anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

keyboard vomit posted:

Don't get hung up on the idea that you need a close romantic partner to be happy, then you end up seeing the first person who treats you with any level of interest like an angel sent from heaven and fall for an idea of them that isn't real

yep thats like the #1 reason Ive been avoiding this poo poo

I am prone to it and I recognize that my approach is tremendously hosed up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

but then again, does that mean Im just never going to try?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

but then again, does that mean Im just never going to try?

that's been my strategy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

yep thats like the #1 reason Ive been avoiding this poo poo

I am prone to it and I recognize that my approach is tremendously hosed up

I'm gonna ask a serious question: do you have an ongoing relationship with a therapist? you often have fears and questions that a good therapist can help you with.

therapy is a better solution than just avoiding dating because you're afraid of your own tendencies.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Casual Encountess posted:

start by paying your gas bill on time

lmao

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jit bull transpile posted:

I'm gonna ask a serious question: do you have an ongoing relationship with a therapist? you often have fears and questions that a good therapist can help you with.

therapy is a better solution than just avoiding dating because you're afraid of your own tendencies.

yep, thats a New Years res I have - though Ive only had a couple of therapists that Ive actually had good experiences with, cause they often end up as sounding boards for my anxieties and worries and not much else (or they become way too focused on my parents)

Im going to make sure the next therapist I get is a good match!!!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

yeah this is what i was going to say but didn't want to sound confrontational. therapy is relationship school (or can be)

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Pollyanna posted:

...but I kinda want a long term partner...its just only something that happens over a long time of being with someone. and uhh has a high likelihood of going horribly wrong. but still!

everything is risk

you're probably not going to do great your first or your second or your fifth time out. and sometimes things have a life and they are great and they run their course.

that is not failure that is just life.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i love pollyanna but she can be really bad at doing every day things

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

ultravoices posted:

sometimes things have a life and they are great and they run their course.

that is not failure that is just life.

truth

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

wow I’m broken

:yossame:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Who among us is functioning properly

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

keyboard vomit posted:

Not me

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

keyboard vomit posted:

i put the functional in dysfunctional

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
we don't need any of you functional programming zealots itt

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

we don't need any of you functional programming zealots itt
yeah, keep your monads to yourselves, weirdos

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

:rimshot:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

speaking of relationship school maybe when I learn how to do it Ill start a training course or sth

goon project

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

monads in the lightning, in the lightning, in the rain

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Oh great, now strife is inevitable

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Oh great, now strife is inevitable

hope nobody is suffering from any hypothermia this Xmas

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

keyboard vomit posted:

this

i have someone right now who's trying to be that way towards me and it's really annoying. they're recently out and recently on HRT so i am trying to be kind, but i have given them so much distance. it's a huge turn off to me and it should be for anyone else if they want to save themselves trouble

on a related note: i was at a house party last night and i think a girl who i either liked or had liked me on Her was there. i dunno if we recognised each other but it was kind of funny

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

distance is healthy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

all power to the distant

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
one of my co-workers just transferred to another office and I'm writing a "hey it's been great to have you on the team, sorry to see you go." email. Would it be weird to point her to yospos / this thread? She started transitioning a year or so ago and I feel like this is a pretty welcoming forum for trans people in tech + I've learned plenty here. In the past i def wouldn't because then they could see my bad posting, but now we're on different teams so it doesn't matter.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

thats fine? this community is not likely to have much natural discovery at this point on (tho we did get a few new users from that ex-Tesla employee going viral) so as the active user base shrinks word of mouth is probably a good idea. this place self enforces standards too, but they can probably get it if theyre online a lot and observe a bit. just keep in mind its a public space and some other boards or even threads might not be so nice necessarily

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

but yeah this place is good. its a p queer and left leaning tech community with a good balance of expertise and stupid jokes

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 26, 2018

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Found out the queer-friendly communist bookstore moved and is now a couple blocks from my office. They do food and coffee and have all-gender bathrooms, so if I ever get hassled in the work bathrooms and want to stay away for a bit I can dip by there. Got a few books on trans stuff and a book on syndicalism and the FAI and stuff.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fujoshisaur posted:

Found out the queer-friendly communist bookstore moved and is now a couple blocks from my office. They do food and coffee and have all-gender bathrooms, so if I ever get hassled in the work bathrooms and want to stay away for a bit I can dip by there. Got a few books on trans stuff and a book on syndicalism and the FAI and stuff.

that sounds amazing

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We were talking about gender neutral language in the Mestizone (the Latinx/Hispanic thread on SA). Link to that thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813960&pagenumber=8&perpage=40

This interesting Twitter thread got posted about the word Latinx from a Mexican perspective. https://twitter.com/DavidOBowles/status/1076913379422490626?s=19

E: nothing to see here, la la la

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 29, 2018

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
https://youtu.be/3PClMhVAQWg

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

WrenP-Complete posted:

We were talking about gender neutral language in the Mestizone (the Latinx/Hispanic thread on SA). Link to that thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813960&pagenumber=8&perpage=40

This interesting Twitter thread got posted about the word Latinx from a Mexican perspective. https://twitter.com/DavidOBowles/status/1076913379422490626?s=19

this is really good, thank you

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

WrenP-Complete posted:

E: nothing to see here, la la la

thank you for sharing this

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

one of my co-workers just transferred to another office and I'm writing a "hey it's been great to have you on the team, sorry to see you go." email. Would it be weird to point her to yospos / this thread? She started transitioning a year or so ago and I feel like this is a pretty welcoming forum for trans people in tech + I've learned plenty here. In the past i def wouldn't because then they could see my bad posting, but now we're on different teams so it doesn't matter.

keep the internet as far away from your personal and professional life as you possibly can

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEtvkH56UcU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

keep the internet as far away from your personal and professional life as you possibly can

this x1000

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the best part of being trans is hiding it constantly for fear of getting assaulted for not passing, and also the substance abuse

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the best part of being trans is hiding it constantly for fear of getting assaulted for not passing, and also the substance abuse

if you dont address this properly you might end up killing yourself one way or another. Im serious, its a much more pressing concern than a fear of others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

if you dont address this properly you might end up killing yourself one way or another. Im serious, its a much more pressing concern than a fear of others

I'm old, it's ok