Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronash posted:

This is some bizarro world bullshit. Corporations don’t have a responsibility to maximize their quarterly profits over all else. Short-sighted business decisions are the result of dumbass C-levels, not regulations that would prevent them from implementing loss leaders, R&D, or loving paid vacation.

Yeah, the court case that always gets referenced when talking about a corporation's duty to maximize shareholder value is Dodge v. Ford Motor Co. and it's less about micromanaging poo poo to maximize shareholder value, so much as the idea that the directors of a company are not allowed to act contrary to the interests of shareholders. Ford was too obvious in his desire to actually work against the interests of his shareholders, because he correctly suspected the Dodge brothers were going to be competition; even after the case, Ford had a lot of leeway over how to run the company, provided he didn't go out of his way to gently caress over shareholders.

In practice, Amazon could do whatever the gently caress they want with the price of Prime, justify it in whatever way they like, and the courts would tell any shareholder litigants to piss up a rope if they were using the courts to try and micromanage the board of directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
But Very Serious People have told me how naive I am for suggesting that companies have even a shred of thought for anything beyond next quarter, and besides that It's The Law to maximize shareholder value over all else.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

Go to a menswear store, then? I do some work on the side for one, his main problem is that people have stopped wanting to see the clothes in-person ahead of time. These stores still exist, it's just that you'll have to find a local store whose name you don't recognize immediately.

Did that. At smaller stores the going rate is more than twice what you should be paying.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I just wanted to provide all of us with some thematic music for posting in this thread:

https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

DrNutt posted:

But Very Serious People have told me how naive I am for suggesting that companies have even a shred of thought for anything beyond next quarter, and besides that It's The Law to maximize shareholder value over all else.

No need to mix those two issues. It remains an enormous systemic problem that so many companies are too focused on the next quarter/year, despite it being perfectly legal to base decisions on the long term.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DrNutt posted:

This is bullshit that gets repeated to justify bad decision making.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I unfortunately can no longer find that survey, which I learned about on this forum, where the vast, vast majority of CEOs of major companies said that they would rather post a profit next quarter with no certainty about anything after that rather than post a loss next quarter followed by multiple quarters of solid growth. I understand that kind of short-sighted thinking by destitute people, because crippling poverty doesn't let one worry about the future, but when it's very wealthy people running huge corporations it's quite another story.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: if you think somone in corporate finance ever thinks beyond this quarter’s numbers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I used to circle things in the toys r us/sears christmas catalog/fliers.

And then your parents would say "I'm sorry little Owlofcreamcheese but we can't give you the crossed-out eyes and mouths of all of these catalog models"

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Baronash posted:

Corporations don’t have a responsibility to maximize their quarterly profits over all else.

Are you new here? To capitalism?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Golbez posted:

Are you new here? To capitalism?

Did you bother reading the other 3 sentences, or were you too excited about laying this sick burn? “Fiduciary duty” has a specific legal meaning, and corporations aren’t obligated to maximize profits.

This is an especially weird topic to get hung up on when the subject of the conversation, Amazon, generates relatively razor thin margins because the majority of their earnings are reinvested into the company, which has been a major factor in their position as the market leader.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PT6A posted:

On one hand, you can ask "well, if they're the same price, why would you buy from Amazon?" but I could equally ask, "if they're the same price, why wouldn't I buy from Amazon?" It's a 10-second operation because they already have my CC number and address, and I've never had a problem with the delivery services they use.

Sure but the first time you order a birthday gift last minute because you just completely forgot and it missed the delivery date or never showed up you’re going to be seriously second guessing that assumption.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Meanwhile, there's the airline who was punished after the CEO gave the employees - you know, the people who do all of the work - a meagre cost of living increase after years of stagnant wages up against inflation. Their stock price decreased sharply and JP Morgan downgraded their status from neutral to overweight. Revenue doesn't count as profit if it's paid out to employee salaries, so they are objectively punished for not maximizing profit when they gave that money to their employees and not their parasitic shareholders.

I looked it up: it was Doug Parker of American Airlines. I give him a tiny bit of credit for barely trying to do the right thing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

JustJeff88 posted:

Meanwhile, there's the airline who was punished after the CEO gave the employees - you know, the people who do all of the work - a meagre cost of living increase after years of stagnant wages up against inflation. Their stock price decreased sharply and JP Morgan downgraded their status from neutral to overweight. Revenue doesn't count as profit if it's paid out to employee salaries, so they are objectively punished for not maximizing profit when they gave that money to their employees and not their parasitic shareholders.

I looked it up: it was Doug Parker of American Airlines. I give him a tiny bit of credit for barely trying to do the right thing.

“If you ignore the parts of what I said that were wrong, then I was completely right!”

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Corporations management might think beyond next quarters, but the shareholders and markets do not, and they ultimately call the shots.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I have no idea what I'm going to do when JCP dissolves if I want to see the clothes before I buy them.
Kohls is basically the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What would happen if we did away with quarterly reports in favor of yearly reports?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What would happen if we did away with quarterly reports in favor of yearly reports?

I don’t believe quarterly reports and the focus on them have always been the status quo

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Investors with better insider info and resources for competitive intelligence would likely be better off. It would help negate some of the obsession with Q/Q growth, but it does serve some purpose in keeping companies honest. I can't imagine it'd be a good thing for small cap biotech for example where sales data at launch would only accessible via very expensive qualitative CI, quantitative market research, secondary claims datasets, etc.

Not that individual traders should be dabbling in highly speculative biotech stocks, but an example where launch success is often highly indictive of long-term opportunity.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Baronash posted:

Did you bother reading the other 3 sentences, or were you too excited about laying this sick burn? “Fiduciary duty” has a specific legal meaning, and corporations aren’t obligated to maximize profits.

You're speaking in legal terms. I'm speaking in general "this is what life is like" terms, as also pointed out by JustJeff88. Publicly traded American companies have been 100% focused on quarterly profits for a good long while now.

Edit: OK, fine, no, they don't have a *responsibility* to only care about maximizing quarterly profits. They simply choose to operate that way.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 31, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well if we smash capitalism we would never have to hear some smug fuckhole utter the words "fiduciary duty" while defending some lovely company's heinous behavior. So let's do that, I guess.

e: Just to be clear I'm not suggesting anyone here has done this, I'm specifically talking about the times I have heard that phrase uttered by sociopathic libertarians IRL.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 31, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Golbez posted:

You're speaking in legal terms. I'm speaking in general "this is what life is like" terms, as also pointed out by JustJeff88. Publicly traded American companies have been 100% focused on quarterly profits for a good long while now.

Edit: OK, fine, no, they don't have a *responsibility* to only care about maximizing quarterly profits. They simply choose to operate that way.

Specifically they choose to operate that way because boards are very replaceable without involving courts. A stock-market company where votes aren't consolidated (your Facebooks, Alphabets and such's consolidated vote-shares are exceptions on the US stock markets) will have to deliver one of three things for investors not get antsy.

A: Dividends
B: Growth
C: Stock buybacks

Investors getting antsy is not bad because they will walk away with the companies money (that's not how stocks work). Investors getting antsy is bad because you never know who's buying which can lead to hedge funds, activist funds or billionares jumping in and replacing both board and management. This puts a big onus on those directly controlling the company to deliver well on A, B and C (which of course is also in their own short-term interest). Or, more specifically you have to deliver on the expectation that A, B and C will happen which guess what, you do through positive quarterly reports. You have negative quarterly reports, and investors start selling.

I think going annual or just bi-annual would do a lot for the long-term health of publicly traded companies.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Golbez posted:

I don't see why semi annual or annual quarterly earnings reports would change the underlying issue. Investors will still seek to maximize annualized ROR and have the flexibility to enter/exit investments at any time. Stock valuation would likely just be subject to higher volatility given fewer data points to inform both short and long term trends. Investors calls associated with quarterly earnings releases also provides some mechanism for questioning execs and increasing transparency, even if they do often seem overly cordial/choreographed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Because investors are irrational and react disproportionally to surprises in financial statements. You dole out the information at a lower pace and investors have to rely on at least superficially rational methods such as forecasts and valuations in-between reports.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Because investors are irrational and react disproportionally to surprises in financial statements. You dole out the information at a lower pace and investors have to rely on at least superficially rational methods such as forecasts and valuations in-between reports.

If you wanted to maximize the value and reliability of hard quantitative valuations via forecasts would you rather have N data points or 4N? Lack of data will result in qualitative speculation filling the void which highly favors investors with the means to obtain credible competitive intelligence. This will likely either be costly (and proprietary/private) market research or just straight up insider info.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

If you wanted to maximize the value and reliability of hard quantitative valuations via forecasts would you rather have N data points or 4N? Lack of data will result in qualitative speculation filling the void which highly favors investors with the means to obtain credible competitive intelligence. This will likely either be costly (and proprietary/private) market research or just straight up insider info.

Over a long time period 4N and N are indistinguishable. Do you think daily reports would be healthy for the stock markets? That is to say 365N. Every report creates an opportunity for speculation (and that includes profiteering off insider trading which you so kindly brought up) which creates inherent instability in company valuations as investors and hedge funds bet on the outcome. Whether a quarter underperformed or not ultimately tells you very little about the long-term prospects of a business since it's just too little time. It also incentivizes prioritizing the next quarter over the annual result which is its own can of worms.

You say qualitative speculation but ultimately everyone has access to the same market indicators and financial reports even without the statements. This will force investors to analyze and react to incremental changes in-between reports instead of hap-hazardly reacting to minor changes on an income statement every 3 months. Additionally, for the fiduciary purposes annual is fine.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 31, 2018

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Over a long time period 4N and N are indistinguishable. Do you think daily reports would be healthy for the stock markets? That is to say 365N. Every report creates an opportunity for speculation (and that includes profiteering off insider trading which you so kindly brought up) which creates inherent instability in company valuations as investors and hedge funds bet on the outcome. Whether a quarter underperformed or not ultimately tells you very little about the long-term prospects of a business since it's just too little time. It also incentivizes prioritizing the next quarter over the annual result which is its own can of worms.

You say qualitative speculation but ultimately everyone has access to the same market indicators and financial reports even without the statements. This will force investors to analyze and react to incremental changes in-between reports instead of hap-hazardly reacting to minor changes on an income statement every 3 months. Additionally, for the fiduciary purposes annual is fine.

I mean, 365N would be preferable for equalizing access to information, no? I may just be hyper focused on my own world in small biotech with high M&A activity, but the short-term performance can be highly correlated with long-term success and overall valuation of the company. Launch excellence is a key offering of every major management consultancy in the industry for a reason. If you're one of the few people with access to daily aggregate national sales data or even spend given implications with clinical trial recruitment progress then the value of your insider information increases considerably with fewer public data points.

For example, a company could put earnings target for a recent drug launch in 2019, 2020, 2023. The value of insider information on sales trends in May becomes increasingly important if there won't be publicly available information until January (annual) rather than July (quarterly). This would not only impact FY 2019 forecasting, but would reset the baseline for projections into future years and therefore the NPV / market cap estimates.

And because this information is increasingly important investors have increased incentive to pay for it -- either via legitimate methods like market research or secondary data analyses which favors large institutional investors with the resources to do it. Or more unsavory methods like direct insider information or intentionally predatory competitive intelligence.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

OneEightHundred posted:

Kohls is basically the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Kohls is doing pretty well so you are good. Having no mall exposure and Sears/JCP finally going under should help them more than others too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Next to other brand, on the high value shelf, and often placed in a slightly more desirable position, or with more product. This can be the better of available positions. The location other stores will put high bidder in. In still other store, house brand is put on less desirable shelves altogether.

It is the same. People still buy product that is on lower/higher shelves or on prime shelf but not first they can see, it is just less often. Is allegation now that Amazon make it impossible to see second listing without huge efforts, to put it beyond scope of shelves? I remind you that in store in an Aldi store and others, almost entire store is house brand. Why is that ok for them but not other store?

I do not see the complication here.

Let me to show:

The curtain from Amazon in this particular search, is in the top results, next to other paid placements. There is another sponsoring message before you even seen the Amazon product. The Amazon shower curtain so has privileged place, but even if it was made very first result you would have seen, at least 2 different curtains.

Is there no corporate practice you won't shill for?

Invalid Validation posted:

Is it a problem if they aren’t forcing higher prices for consumers though?

Yes, because their embrace of knock-offs and outright fraudulent products means that consumers are fairly often not even getting what they pay for.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 31, 2018

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

KingNastidon posted:

I mean, 365N would be preferable for equalizing access to information, no? I may just be hyper focused on my own world in small biotech with high M&A activity, but the short-term performance can be highly correlated with long-term success and overall valuation of the company. Launch excellence is a key offering of every major management consultancy in the industry for a reason. If you're one of the few people with access to daily aggregate national sales data or even spend given implications with clinical trial recruitment progress then the value of your insider information increases considerably with fewer public data points.

For example, a company could put earnings target for a recent drug launch in 2019, 2020, 2023. The value of insider information on sales trends in May becomes increasingly important if there won't be publicly available information until January (annual) rather than July (quarterly). This would not only impact FY 2019 forecasting, but would reset the baseline for projections into future years and therefore the NPV / market cap estimates.

And because this information is increasingly important investors have increased incentive to pay for it -- either via legitimate methods like market research or secondary data analyses which favors large institutional investors with the resources to do it. Or more unsavory methods like direct insider information or intentionally predatory competitive intelligence.

That's really focused on biotech, though. Most other industries don't have quite as bad a "Gotta make all your profits upon launch" thing going, do they?

Like, for instance, defense or engineering contractors (picking those because I know about the industries somewhat) - basically anything where a government is the customer - yes, there's profits on launch, but most of the earnings are spread out over years (and hostage to annual appropriations). When your product takes 10-20 years to get to operational status and your only customer is the guy who also collects your taxes, a quarterly approach is (to me) a terrible idea.

You could say similar about, say, homebuilders or a lot of industries where projects have a long development time (or really high R&D costs or both). Pharma is unique in a lot of ways in that launches matter so hugely. Everybody else, some de-emphasizing of the short-term might not be a bad idea and might not actually decrease the quality of information available on the public domain.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JustJeff88 posted:

I unfortunately can no longer find that survey, which I learned about on this forum, where the vast, vast majority of CEOs of major companies said that they would rather post a profit next quarter with no certainty about anything after that rather than post a loss next quarter followed by multiple quarters of solid growth. I understand that kind of short-sighted thinking by destitute people, because crippling poverty doesn't let one worry about the future, but when it's very wealthy people running huge corporations it's quite another story.

It gets easier when you realize that none of the execs surveyed plan to stay past the nanosecond their bonuses underperform.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Liquid Communism posted:

Is there no corporate practice you won't shill for?

Yes, because their embrace of knock-offs and outright fraudulent products means that consumers are fairly often not even getting what they pay for.

It is very interested, how supposed progressives shout "shill" as soon as any consideration of retail exists. Tell me sir, what is the way you think store is supposed to operate?

Decide what you want to yell about - the thing that gets destroyed of Amazon Basics is generic knock off and fraudulent product, because people have the house brand from Amazon right there.

It really seem you and other just want to moan about how Amazon isn't protecting random capitalist enough for doing least effort of sale. Shading of the argument of Steam being evil because. it let's other people's game on all the time and not just your favourites.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Baronash posted:

Except for those pesky private equities, eyeing them greedily. If ya aren't maximizing profits, somebody else may try to buy the company.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

QuarkJets posted:

The complaint is that Amazon is giving premier placement to their own products after making a generic version of a competitor's, I don't give a poo poo if a bunch of competitors are bidding for premier shelf space at a store so long as the store isn't saying "gently caress all of you, I'm putting my pasta on all of the premier shelves and yours is going on the bottom shelf"

Every grocery store, restaurant, and clothing store in America does this and has done it for decades.

No company or product has a right to a spot on another company's shelves. That's sort of the deal with retail. Companies that want complete control over the retail experience will direct sell or self-distribute. Apple even builds entire stores that sell only their brand and restrict other retailers from carrying their newest products.

If you have some sort of completely unique product (a gaming console, brand name fashion/logo, specific movie/doll/art/food, etc) that sells very well, then you can try to bully retail stores into accepting your terms. Lots of companies do that by banning stores from offering sales or coupons on their items if they want to carry them.

There are lots of concerns about Amazon, but white labels and advertising their own products on their own site are not unique to Amazon nor major problems.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 31, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No company or product has a right to a spot on another company's shelves. That's sort of the deal with retail.

Except when they sell that right, which they do. Big companies will buy up shelf space to push smaller competition to crappier spots, or off the shelves entirely.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

JustJeff88 posted:

Revenue doesn't count as profit if it's paid out to employee salaries

Revenue invested in anything is not counted as profit. Profit is what you have after your investments. This concept has existed before the invention of the corporation.

BrandorKP posted:

Except when they sell that right, which they do. Big companies will buy up shelf space to push smaller competition to crappier spots, or off the shelves entirely.

Yes, that was what was specifically said in the whole post. That's the deal with retail. Nobody has a legal right to a specific spot on a shelf in a specific store.

Part of the reason Amazon decided to self-distribute and direct sell is that they were getting screwed by IT/hosting companies and 3rd party shippers.

Go to any restaurant in America from 1900 to 2018 and count how many offer both Pepsi and Coke products. It will be 0 and it is not because the restaurant owners are Pepsi fans or think Sprite is better than Mountain Dew.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 31, 2018

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

BrandorKP posted:

It's their store. They can decide who buys space on their site. Just like how the media can pick and choose who advertises on them and where those ads go. This argument that Amazon has a duty to keep an even playing ground on their own site only makes sense if Amazon became nationalized (thus gaining public oversight) and was regulated to do so. Then if they tried you could point to a corporate charter that specifies that as being an illegal move. But that's the not the case. This is a private company who doesn't care and you can't tell them how to position products on their private website.

It would be like the government coming to SomethingAwful and telling Lowtax that you have to advertise for other websites if you want to advertise at all. SA is a private website and Lowtax can display information on it as he feels regardless of whether you agree. If he posted something or advertised something that was truly heinous you'd be within your right to complain or leave. But ultimately, Lowtax is paying the bills and gets to decide what is on this site.

Now if you're arguing that their should be a publicly owned mass retailer that could compete with Amazon, that would be forced to promote all products evenly, and would focused on keeping prices low rather than simply max profits, then I'm on board.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I’m inclined to agree that Amazon isn’t uniquely nefarious and that people in this thread are a little paranoid and are exaggerating the Amazon monopoly threat.

But you could argue that while maybe what Amazon is doing isn’t really totally new or unique, Amazon certainly is taking it to the n-th degree and so they are definitely more of a monopoly threat to retail than what has come before. What do you think about that?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

silence_kit posted:

But you could argue that while maybe what Amazon is doing isn’t really totally new or unique, Amazon certainly is taking it to the n-th degree and so they are definitely more of a monopoly threat to retail than what has come before. What do you think about that?

It seems like the opposite, a website has far far lower stickyness than a physical business. It's much easier for walmart to drive the other stores out of your town and make you 'have' to shop there than it is for amazon to drive away all other competition on earth and make you have to shop there.

Like this thread is full of stories of people very casually deciding to shop somewhere else and it being no big deal. Compared to stuff sears or walmart could do in the past where you really functionally had no other choices in a lot of locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Also Amazon in its history has used its tactics that in the end benefit customer. Basically they used their market power to offer benefits to a consumer that make it tough/expensive for other companies to match. Great. So far I haven’t seen any contrary behavior to that. The only thing I am leery of is fake reviews and fraudulent products. My perspective is probably pretty skewed though as my career has been in corporate retail.

Also AWS a loving wonder and more beneficial to society than what most retail companies would ever do. Insanely cheap and accessible servers is a god send to research companies. One of my favorite career moments was seeing IT executives poo poo their pants when they saw AWS prices at a couple hundred dollars a month vs their 6 million dollar teradata servers in hardware alone they were pushing.