Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've said it many times already, but I'll never be not convinced that internet advertising is a massive shell game designed solely to rob companies blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Choco1980 posted:

I've said it many times already, but I'll never be not convinced that internet advertising is a massive shell game designed solely to rob companies blind.

That's what mass marketing in general is

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jabor posted:

The person who designs the ad doesn't give a poo poo as to how many people actually buy the shoes. Their job performance is measured by how many people click on the ad.

A piece of classic, timeless business advice I heard somewhere is that the second you use a metric as a means of evaluation, it ceases to be useful as a metric. This is true for pretty much all fields, from marketing to software development to teaching.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s Goodhart’s Law.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
that's definitely on purpose

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

that's definitely on purpose

don't worry, i was also confused for a second and thought i'm in the "pics that look nws but aren't" thread.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

I've run a lot of websites over the years, and this is 100% true, but also I agree with the person who said all advertising is like that. It's tough to measure ad effectiveness.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My wife is in the marketing department for a very large company that will go years between decent advertising campaigns and it suffers considerably every time it’s current CEO decides ads aren’t worth the money.

And this isn’t even a product you hear about and suddenly run out to buy. It’s a mindshare issue of trying to impart warm and fuzzies to a particular brand name service, so that when you do decide you need it once a year, you think of them.

Facebook loving around with their metrics is bad, but other more traditional methods aren’t any better. Old school media gets skipped or ignored just as often these days. At least with Facebook you get all that sweet customer data.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
My favourite thing on Facebook is the "why am I seeing this ad?" feature. It tells me what not to do although some things are unavoidable such as my age range and location.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jojoinnit posted:

My favourite thing on Facebook is the "why am I seeing this ad?" feature. It tells me what not to do although some things are unavoidable such as my age range and location.

I remember a derail in the election thread in D&D where everyone was posting screenshots of their "what does Facebook think I care about" page. Most of any individual's items wear reasonable, like location, age, politics, movies, etc. But then there'd be categories like "wheel" and "things." It's a really weird system.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I remember a derail in the election thread in D&D where everyone was posting screenshots of their "what does Facebook think I care about" page. Most of any individual's items wear reasonable, like location, age, politics, movies, etc. But then there'd be categories like "wheel" and "things." It's a really weird system.

i love things. things are my favorite.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I get the top-of-page banner ads when I browse SA on my tablet, and can't figure out why I get ads for stuff like Broadway tickets, or a fancy food show in California. I'm a broke rear end goon in Virginia.

I mean, if it helps pay Lowtax to get a new spine, it's no skin off my nose (plus some of them make me laugh when paired with the animal pics on either side --- "that cat looks really interested in buying a new Toyota!"), but it just seems like these companies are throwing money away. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what ads I get on SA.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I get the top-of-page banner ads when I browse SA on my tablet, and can't figure out why I get ads for stuff like Broadway tickets, or a fancy food show in California. I'm a broke rear end goon in Virginia.

I mean, if it helps pay Lowtax to get a new spine, it's no skin off my nose (plus some of them make me laugh when paired with the animal pics on either side --- "that cat looks really interested in buying a new Toyota!"), but it just seems like these companies are throwing money away. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what ads I get on SA.

I just get this one a lot

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

jobson groeth posted:

I just get this one a lot

Hodl

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I get similar ads that don't apply from Something Positive. Do I want birth control? Flowars for my mom? A family cruise vacation? A weekend in Spain? To lease a BMW SUV? Soft-core yaoi? To donate to the Red Cross?

None of the above, thanks. Well, I donate my time to the Red Cross, but that's a 9 year commitment that's independent of advertising.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I get similar ads that don't apply from Something Positive. Do I want birth control? Flowars for my mom? A family cruise vacation? A weekend in Spain? To lease a BMW SUV? Soft-core yaoi? To donate to the Red Cross?

None of the above, thanks. Well, I donate my time to the Red Cross, but that's a 9 year commitment that's independent of advertising.

Yeah I want my Yaoi hard-core too

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Andrast posted:

Yeah I want my Yaoi hard-core too

If the bodies aren't super-stretched out and the hands aren't massive and shovelesque then it ain't yaoi, buddy.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In my house we use the login of my friend's mum on a premium TV app on PS4 - and all the ads are targeted at middle aged menopausal women. The upside is that I know exactly what to do if I develop a leaky bladder.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Necrothatcher posted:

In my house we use the login of my friend's mum on a premium TV app on PS4 - and all the ads are targeted at middle aged menopausal women. The upside is that I know exactly what to do if I develop a leaky bladder.

Work in the White House?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/WUWMradio/status/1078322924292005888

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Would the Oxford comma have solved that sentence? Not to give those pricks at Oxford any credit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Would the Oxford comma have solved that sentence?
As always, no.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/wifebanger/status/1078826712199319553

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Quiznos just became my favorite restaurant.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I didn't know Cocksailor was back.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Quiznos just became my favorite restaurant.

I heard their lobster sub is to die for.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TontoCorazon posted:

You just became my favorite poster.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

jojoinnit posted:

I changed my profile from a 35 year old man to a 65 year old woman one time just to see how the ads changed. It's pretty interesting, would recommend.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

You just became my favorite poster.

You just made me the happiest man on the planet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Get a celebratory meal at Quiznos!

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Get a celebratory meal at Quiznos!

More like oldtasteless.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TontoCorazon posted:

That was a misprint. The ad was supposed to say "to die from".

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Could someone please explain what's going on? Is the woman dead?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

Yes. She died of porcine influenza.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She died from h1n1 in apparently like two days. A co worker said she was perfectly fine a few days earlier while filming a news segment.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Nitrox posted:

She's a CHUD. Anti-vax, anti UHC etc. Quiznos did the edgy social media thing and a few days later she was dead. Now we're getting memes like this

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Man I can't believe Quiznos murdered a woman to promote Mortal Kombat 11.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

She didn't deserve to die and I realize you can't get lifelong vaccination against the flu, but I'm still glad this happened to an anti-vaxxer and not one of the vulnerable people whose lives they (would) willingly put at risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought every 'flu vaccine since like 2011 had h1n1 in it as a matter of course.