Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maleh-Vor posted:

What the gently caress is all this bullshit

Capitalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Working out is pretty much the one thing in our Hellworld where effort and results are directly related

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

CheesyDog posted:

Working out is pretty much the one thing in our Hellworld where effort and results are directly related

“Gay church is the opium of the masses” - karl malone

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

cakesmith handyman posted:

That would be awesome, I'd guess most people's fear is of looking an idiot and not knowing what to do.

the only thing people really look down on in the gym is people being really rude in terms of gym etiquette. even then, even if you're doing curls in the squat rack, the worst thing that can happen is that someone will be like 'hey, you should be doing that with the equipment designed for it so people can do squats.' i don't really know where the expectation of hostility comes from because i've never, ever, in my life seen someone be a jerk to someone else because of their lifting habits. by being in the gym to begin with, you're already miles ahead of the average sedentary person.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Muscle Wizard posted:

the only thing people really look down on in the gym is people being really rude in terms of gym etiquette. even then, even if you're doing curls in the squat rack, the worst thing that can happen is that someone will be like 'hey, you should be doing that with the equipment designed for it so people can do squats.' i don't really know where the expectation of hostility comes from because i've never, ever, in my life seen someone be a jerk to someone else because of their lifting habits. by being in the gym to begin with, you're already miles ahead of the average sedentary person.

if you're new to a gym, the experience you have had with gyms is in movies, and in movies this happens all the fuckin time

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you're new to a gym, the experience you have had with gyms is in movies, and in movies this happens all the fuckin time

i expect better of my comrades than for them to acquire their views purely from hollywood.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pretty much this. Big strong guys are always dumb, and always bullies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CheesyDog posted:

That and wanking.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Muscle Wizard posted:

i expect better of my comrades than for them to acquire their views purely from hollywood.

the most important part of the american spirit is the poor sense of reality and inability to stop suspending disbelief

cowboy movies are responsible for like 30% of the disease of republicanism. clint eastwood alone is responsible for an appreciable amount

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jerry Cotton posted:

That and wanking.

spoken like someone who hasn’t been on SSRIs

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
also most people's actual exposure to gyms is school gyms in middle/high school, which are run by maladjusted psychopaths with something to prove and populated by horny sociopaths.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

the most important part of the american spirit is the poor sense of reality and inability to stop suspending disbelief

cowboy movies are responsible for like 30% of the disease of republicanism. clint eastwood alone is responsible for an appreciable amount

i guess i should've said i don't know where it comes from in a rhetorical sense because i assume someone who's an american leftist is going to do more in developing their views than building assumptions based purely on what they've been fed in movies.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Muscle Wizard posted:

i guess i should've said i don't know where it comes from in a rhetorical sense because i assume someone who's an american leftist is going to do more in developing their views than building assumptions based purely on what they've been fed in movies.

the guillotine jokes are from the movies, people dont read

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

the guillotine jokes are from the movies, people dont read

cmon, have faith

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bushiz posted:

There exists a real danger as a fat person if you go to the free weights that one dozen perfect wrestlers will come over and immediately try to be your friend and help you find out how to become very strong.

God drat where are all the hardbodied wrestlers coming to help my fat rear end get not fat, I need to go start lifting in the big gym full of people or something instead of the empty community one because that sounds lit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/bRAMw010fcg

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bushiz posted:

also most people's actual exposure to gyms is school gyms in middle/high school, which are run by maladjusted psychopaths with something to prove and populated by horny sociopaths.

As a horny sociopath where am I supposed to work out? Fyi I'm not allowed within 200 yards of a school so that's right out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

work out... you're issues, in therapy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one under 18 is allowed in my gym or any other gym i've ever been to, so that kind of gets rid of the biggest morons already. You will have bros in a gym but they will probably not be interested in your fat rear end

Unless they are gay bros and they want some fat bacon to pork

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

No one under 18 is allowed in my gym or any other gym i've ever been to

Athletic clubs have gyms though.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've had a strong guy come and warn me about my form being bad a couple of times, strong nice guys is a real phenomenon.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
As a guy who is both fat as poo poo and still fairly strong, I feel conflicted about approaching guys learning to lift still. Maybe when I start squatting 2x my bw rather than 1.5.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Zzulu posted:

No one under 18 is allowed in my gym or any other gym i've ever been to, so that kind of gets rid of the biggest morons already. You will have bros in a gym but they will probably not be interested in your fat rear end

Unless they are gay bros and they want some fat bacon to pork

what if im not man

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

T-man posted:

what if im not man

*shrieks horribly, begins gabbling incantations about sandwiches and kitchens and :biotruths:*

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Dipshit posted:

As a guy who is both fat as poo poo and still fairly strong, I feel conflicted about approaching guys learning to lift still. Maybe when I start squatting 2x my bw rather than 1.5.
I'll only comment if I see someone doing something that looks like they'll injure themselves. Stuff like bicep curls where they're wrenching their entire back to get the weight up.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I don't get helpful gym bros. don't they know their sexual market value will go up if there's less supply of hunky dudes?? its basic sexual economy

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

why in the hell would you expend more effort to devalue your work???

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

T-man posted:

what if im not man

Just don't be a weird creep around all of us hunky men and you'll be ok.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How loving socially inept are you people, jesus christ, this is like reading a thread of people trying to be awkward on purpose because it's quirky or some poo poo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

How loving socially inept are you people, jesus christ, this is like reading a thread of people trying to be awkward on purpose because it's quirky or some poo poo

would you like to hear about my body

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

because it is disgusting

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
edit: eh, nevermind

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

turn on you're monitor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

Click the “¿”.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Former DILF posted:

I don't get helpful gym bros. don't they know their sexual market value will go up if there's less supply of hunky dudes?? its basic sexual economy

Already married. :v:

steinrokkan posted:

I work out at a university gym. Lotta dumb kids who don't wanna listen. The worst is when the trainers train the students wrong, which is super loving pissy. I miss my old workout buddy who was a trainer there, but he went on to get his phd in some kind of exercise physiology/rehab thing. This crop can't teach a squat.

The Dipshit has issued a correction as of 01:14 on Jan 1, 2019

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Hang around in public areas at night and wear a billboard.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Imagine gettin yer dick sucked wearin one of them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes, tell me more of this strange mystical land of jeem. Do dog-headed people live there, too?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

10 Best Tips for Increasing Brand Awareness by Monetizing Your Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

T-man posted:

what if im not man

Realtalk, a lot of gyms can be kind of gross to women. There's a reason a lot of gyms (at least here in Sweden) have female-only sections of the gym. A lot of dudes will eye-gently caress you all day if you're a woman