Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

How many episodes of titans are left?

I think tonight's is the last one based on my google-fu.

e: and it was bonkers as poo poo. Wow. I don't even know what to think.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's everyone's thoughts on Runaways s2? I'm about halfway in and it just seems.... Not good. It seems they're trying to make all of the parents anti-heroes (or just plain good guys), which seems to make the need to run away kind of pointless.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Medullah posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on Runaways s2? I'm about halfway in and it just seems.... Not good. It seems they're trying to make all of the parents anti-heroes (or just plain good guys), which seems to make the need to run away kind of pointless.

there's a big change in the series' status quo in E7, but I'm a third of the way through E8 and the narrative thrust of the rest of the season isn't exactly clear yet.

So far, I'd say that people who liked S1 despite its considerable flaws will still like it (like me), and people who didn't probably won't change their minds too much. At the very least, there aren't yet any pacing issues as bad as the back half of last season (where the entirety of eps 6-8 seemed to serve no purpose whatsoever except to put off the moment when the kids finally openly confront their parents and run away).

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I don't know, I liked season 1 and am not really feeling season 2. Maybe it's that I finally have a great Runaways comic to read so I don't have to hang on to every little thing that they get right in the show and am now seeing it for what it is.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm enjoying season 2, but mainly because the cast is really good, especially the kids. I think there's too much infighting with them currently, but I'm only halfway through so hopefully that goes away.

Nico's costumes and makeup are on point.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

also, the Netflix release model for this season was definitely the right choice, because the show works a lot better binged than weekly

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheDK posted:

I think tonight's is the last one based on my google-fu.

e: and it was bonkers as poo poo. Wow. I don't even know what to think.

Yeah. The credits stinger was all :psyduck:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Finished Runaways S2, and while I enjoyed it overall, the expanded episode count was definitely a mistake.

The season finale is actually good, and I’d still be on board for S3 if it gets renewed, but the last six episodes (after the big plot developments of E7) take far too long to find a compelling narrative hook. I can only imagine how much worse this would have come off if they had stuck with S1’s weekly release model.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Barry Convex posted:

Finished Runaways S2, and while I enjoyed it overall, the expanded episode count was definitely a mistake.

The season finale is actually good, and I’d still be on board for S3 if it gets renewed, but the last six episodes (after the big plot developments of E7) take far too long to find a compelling narrative hook. I can only imagine how much worse this would have come off if they had stuck with S1’s weekly release model.

I'm having a hard time caring about the back half here. There's some real good development happening and exposition but it's bogged down by a plot that lacks the focus of the first half. I'll finish it probably tomorrow and on the whole it's good but man, they really did a bad job laying out this season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That makes it sound like the problems of season 1 are compounded in season 2. Takes too long to get anywhere, too much focus on the parents.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

without getting into spoiler territory, the showrunners/writers still seem incapable of deciding exactly how unsympathetic the parents should be, and the main hook for Season 3, while potentially interesting, is also very much an attempt to have it both ways

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A lot of the parents are fun and good actors, so I'm fine with keeping them around. They don't get as much focus as in the first season. I ended up really liking this season. I think they should lean into Nico and Chase being the two leaders.

It was also great to see that they just dropped the whole Staff of One was tech and this year it's straight up magic.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

A lot of the parents are fun and good actors, so I'm fine with keeping them around. They don't get as much focus as in the first season. I ended up really liking this season. I think they should lean into Nico and Chase being the two leaders.

It was also great to see that they just dropped the whole Staff of One was tech and this year it's straight up magic.

I was glad to see this season ignore the dumb tech thing, though it’s also dumb that they attempt to define and limit its powers to the elements earlier on and then just ignore it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Did they explain Gibborim yet?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Inkspot posted:

Did they explain Gibborim yet?

Yes.

They dropped the original comic's conceit entirely; the thing at the bottom of the excavation in the show that was supposedly alive isn't some elder god nonsense, it's just Jonah's ship filled with other travelers and all but a handful are killed. They changed the Gibborim to just be the name of his alien species, who are light-creatures that can swap between and control human hosts. Which makes Karolina being half-alien(?) a lot more confusing, but they don't really touch on that much. Xavin also isn't a Skrull, but I forget the name they gave the shapeshifter species.

Honestly it was one of the more disappointing reveals to me.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yes.

They dropped the original comic's conceit entirely; the thing at the bottom of the excavation in the show that was supposedly alive isn't some elder god nonsense, it's just Jonah's ship filled with other travelers and all but a handful are killed. They changed the Gibborim to just be the name of his alien species, who are light-creatures that can swap between and control human hosts. Which makes Karolina being half-alien(?) a lot more confusing, but they don't really touch on that much. Xavin also isn't a Skrull, but I forget the name they gave the shapeshifter species.

Amalgamating the Gibborim and the Majesdanians was something I’d expected since Jonah first appeared in S1, so I wasn’t really disappointed by that reveal. One of the Church facilities in S2 does have a large statue of one of the 616 Gibborim, but I’m guessing that’s just an Easter egg even though it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

also, Xavin is a Xartan here, which are at least canonical shapeshifters in 616, albeit very obscure

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yes.

Oof. Glad I didn’t start watching it then.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Bummer. Could've been a fun couple of movies. At least the opening credits are pretty good.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed Deadly Class. I've read a lot of it, and it seemed like a really straight adaptation.

It also seems very "YA fiction"-esque, so I look forward to Harry Potter fans trying to get into it and being repulsed by the violence.

It finally got put up on the Canadian network site and I liked it too. They really went all-in on the soundtrack!

There was a bit too much voiceover for my liking, but I assume that's a pilot infodump kind of thing. The show (and comic) kind of straddled the line between edgy and trying too hard, but it generally came down on the right side for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh, this will be fun. Who was expecting Rev as the bad guy of Punisher S2?

quote:

In a new report from Collider, we finally learned more about Frank Castle's latest foe for The Punisher Season 2, a character named John Pilgrim played by actor Josh Stewart. The villain has been described as Alt-Right, a term that's associated with white nationalism and extreme conservatives.

"On the exterior, [John Pilgrim] is a man who is a Christian Fundamentalist who had a rage, a violent side of him," Stewart said. "It’s buried deep. I think where this is all headed, that sort of side of him is going to resurface a bit."

Pilgrim is said to contrast Billy Russo, who will also return for Season 2, as a creepier and more uptight foe for Frank Castle.

While Russo will be appearing in the new season, he won't be going under the name of Jigsaw. Instead, that term will apply to the character's fragmented psyche after the events of the first season.

"He’s trying to piece together what happened to him and who he is. There is the metaphor at one point that his brain is the jigsaw that he’s trying put the pieces back together of," actor Ben Barnes said to Collider.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Omg the punisher is gonna kill Nazis???

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

site posted:

Looking forward to this but Punisher.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

site posted:

Anticipating the scene where he burns down a GameStop

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't wait for the ton of media complaining that he's targeting the alt-right (because you KNOW it'll happen)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Koalas Massacre posted:

Looking forward to this but Punisher.

2019 Ghostbusters re-remake looking good too

Davros1 posted:

Can't wait for the ton of media complaining that he's targeting the alt-right (because you KNOW it'll happen)

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1079067972768018434

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

"That's your argument? That the Punisher should be supporting Nazi's not killing them?"

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Wonder how many people replied to him with "I don't care" :D.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looking forward to the Punisher/Gritty team up

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I am sure a huge chunk of the internet will try to spin the Punisher's cancellation as being a result of it going sjw/getting "political".

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So Netflix Punisher is the best Punisher now. Cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Supergirl has been doing an alt-right villain for this season as well. The bad guy has been stirring up anti-alien immigrant sentiment.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
The downside is these douchebags are gonna claim victory when Punisher gets cancelled 2 weeks after airing, despite the fact that everyone already knows it's getting cancelled like all the other Marvel shows...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Supergirl has been doing an alt-right villain for this season as well. The bad guy has been stirring up anti-alien immigrant sentiment.

Only the allegory falls apart when the aliens sometimes display traits that should inspire fear. See also: every X-Men comic ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GLOSS posted:

The downside is these douchebags are gonna claim victory when Punisher gets cancelled 2 weeks after airing, despite the fact that everyone already knows it's getting cancelled like all the other Marvel shows...

Gonna be hilarious when it's the only show Disney pulls over to DisneyPLUS.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

And as I've said, they make Manchester Black the bad guy for wanting to kill them after they Chuds of Liberty went around murdering aliens.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

And as I've said, they make Manchester Black the bad guy for wanting to kill them after they Chuds of Liberty went around murdering aliens.

He's breaking the law and morally against Supergirl's methods but J'onn's fondness for him tells me we're not meant to embrace him as an out-and-out villain
more like a Punisher-type antihero (which is pretty much his role on the show).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah he definitely seems like he is supposed to be an anti-hero, but as with most CW stuff, it seems like they mostly took writing shortcuts to get there, so it comes off poorly. Also, because of the writing, the CoL actually have a point, and even worse, there is an in universe solution (power dampening tech) that no one is suggesting being used outside of the alien Ellis Island apparently. :psyduck:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Does Manchester Black have the Union Jack tattoo?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I get they dive full in into Russian interference with the alt Kara arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Does Manchester Black have the Union Jack tattoo?

I don't think so? He wears the shirt though.