Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Re: the Bernie campaign sexual harassment meeting thing that was asked about yesterday.

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1079588483461722114?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean there's absolutely clear evidence that the majority of the interactions as described are accurate up to and including that aziz was actively trying to gently caress her. So the only part that would even be up for question would be how clearly she communicated her disinterest. Aside from the absurdity of why someone going on a date with aziz ansari would decide to torpedo their social/dating life and privacy just over throwing out some madeup accusation against him for no reason instead of, yknow, going on more dates with him, there's also the question of what the gently caress is it with people trying to have sex with people who aren't enthusiastically consenting. Like if someone is only consenting to the extent of 'I guess we could gently caress, but I don't really care either way' jfc that's not rape, but like raise the loving standards

Imo his existing public image of someone who'd never be the bad guy combined with her not really doing anything extraneous to destroy his reputation probably is why it wasn't a much bigger deal.

I concur with you on the don't try and have sex with people who don't wanna, and as someone else said, IDGAF about Ansari, but if this was a sustained pattern of behaviour others should already have stepped up and taken him down. Twitter and anonymous articles combined are like the double dragon of hearsay and fuckery.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yeah. Like I don't think she was intending it to be as racist as it came out, but she had spent the whole trip pressing her luck on bad jokes denouncing people of various countries and pushed even further.

But LK saying there were no consequences is loving ridiculous. Losing your job is a huge consequence.

How can you not have an AIDS joke specifically about Africa not sound incredibly racist? Like how do you maneuver around not sound racist at something like that and thinking you can pull off a cunning stunt like that.

Her losing her job is a pretty justified consequence, despite severity. I don’t want someone who is videotaped picking off scabs and throwing them into a fryolater with food for customers to be working at a local fast food joint because it calls to question their professionalism, awareness and conduct. And being known as “the company with the scabby fry cook” is not something one wants.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

All media is garbage.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Critical posted:

All media is garbage.

The only moral media is reading books on stone tablets imo.

(I agree with you if you append “capitalist” between all and media)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teen witch posted:

How can you not have an AIDS joke specifically about Africa not sound incredibly racist? Like how do you maneuver around not sound racist at something like that and thinking you can pull off a cunning stunt like that.

Yeah. I don't think a professional comedian could have salvaged that joke premise.

Like here's some more example of outrage mobs on Twitter causing issues for people who don't deserve it, from that article posted earlier

quote:

I met a man who, in early 2013, had been sitting at a conference for tech developers in Santa Clara, Calif., when a stupid joke popped into his head. It was about the attachments for computers and mobile devices that are commonly called dongles. He murmured the joke to his friend sitting next to him, he told me. “It was so bad, I don’t remember the exact words,” he said. “Something about a fictitious piece of hardware that has a really big dongle, a ridiculous dongle. . . . It wasn’t even conversation-level volume.”

Moments later, he half-noticed when a woman one row in front of them stood up, turned around and took a photograph. He thought she was taking a crowd shot, so he looked straight ahead, trying to avoid ruining her picture. It’s a little painful to look at the photograph now, knowing what was coming.

The woman had, in fact, overheard the joke. She considered it to be emblematic of the gender imbalance that plagues the tech industry and the toxic, male-dominated corporate culture that arises from it. She tweeted the picture to her 9,209 followers with the caption: “Not cool. Jokes about . . . ‘big’ dongles right behind me.” Ten minutes later, he and his friend were taken into a quiet room at the conference and asked to explain themselves. A day later, his boss called him into his office, and he was fired.

Like... loving COME ON

Edit: Hey,read further:

quote:

The woman who took the photograph, Adria Richards, soon felt the wrath of the crowd herself. The man responsible for the dongle joke had posted about losing his job on Hacker News, an online forum popular with developers. This led to a backlash from the other end of the political spectrum. So-called men’s rights activists and anonymous trolls bombarded Richards with death threats on Twitter and Facebook. Someone tweeted Richards’s home address along with a photograph of a beheaded woman with duct tape over her mouth. Fearing for her life, she left her home, sleeping on friends’ couches for the remainder of the year.

Next, her employer’s website went down. Someone had launched a DDoS attack, which overwhelms a site’s servers with repeated requests. SendGrid, her employer, was told the attacks would stop if Richards was fired. That same day she was publicly let go.

“I cried a lot during this time, journaled and escaped by watching movies,” she later said to me in an email. “SendGrid threw me under the bus. I felt betrayed. I felt abandoned. I felt ashamed. I felt rejected. I felt alone.”

Call out culture loving up lives on all sides.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ascii genitals posted:

Boy that's a really nice off-the-cuff assumption packed review. Jon Ronson is not an alt-right writer or some poo poo, give me a loving break.

She’s 100% right though. These “mobs” exist because normal societal means of dealing with reprehensible individuals can’t be used by the majority of people. They are cool and good and better than letting pests simply get away with being garbage. We should bring back ostracism.

Also, all the bros going “#BELIEVEAZIZ” is :discourse:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Koalas Massacre posted:

I somehow doubt that and I doubt the veracity of this book in general considering it's theme seems to be "white people should face no consequences for their actions" and not "minorities online getting online death threats" which is way more common, and a much bigger problem.

The book also follows the story of a black woman who inadvertently starts a shaming campaign and gets targeted herself in response. Everyone involved gets hosed, but her most of all.

Is the book still full of lies?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like you can follow tumblr call out blogs if you want to find like 5000 examples a day of a woke mob cycling between declaring someone a nazi pedophile then 3 days later going "oh oops, that was two guys with the same name/oh he was quoting a famous book/oh the quote was made up/oh the blog I reblogged this through took some absurd leaps of logic" over and over infinity times.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Tbh if you go through the full ringer of being actually unwilling to be around people who are even passingly racist, homophobic, or transphobic, just embrace your new reality of being friends with a bunch of queer people and poc and so forth. Middle-class and up USA is basically about putting up with bigoted white people around you so you can be a part of the tribe with all the related benefits or just doing your own thing with people who actually reflect your values

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Harton posted:

She is a nurse talking about how every black patient she deals with are just awful.

There's so much of this in healthcare tbh. The new favorite is dismissing immigrant patients because "they're not paying for this."

Nurse culture is toxic as gently caress, fight me.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079748730058870789

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ummel posted:

There's so much of this in healthcare tbh. The new favorite is dismissing immigrant patients because "they're not paying for this."

This seems to be a facility by facility thing. Some places I go the staff are practically tattooing numbers on the arms of each new admission, in others theyre miltantly pro single payer.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ummel posted:

100 percent this and it’s frightening as gently caress to see glimpses of it on Facebook. Bigotry in healthcare literally leads to people dying and is it EVER a thing.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Yeah. I don't think a professional comedian could have salvaged that joke premise.

There ain't a lot of meat on the thoughtlessly racist "er hyuck, them black people have the aids!" bones. Calling that a joke is an insult to even bad comedy.

Critical posted:

All media is garbage.

PBS newshour. Nobody else but me likes it because it's boring.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 31, 2018

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

white sauce posted:

She’s 100% right though. These “mobs” exist because normal societal means of dealing with reprehensible individuals can’t be used by the majority of people. They are cool and good and better than letting pests simply get away with being garbage. We should bring back ostracism.

So what you're saying is you haven't read the book either, but you still wanna talk?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

You'd think he'd notice the bigger pattern by now.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

white sauce posted:

I agree, people should be fired for whispering a non-sexual joke and then the person responsible for getting them shitcanned should get death threats. This is all cool and good. :rolleyes:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/paulszoldra/status/1079745153311502337?s=21

woah

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This seems to be a facility by facility thing. Some places I go the staff are practically tattooing numbers on the arms of each new admission, in others theyre miltantly pro single payer.

Absolutely. The good hospitals that pay well and treat their staff right have less issues. The nursing boom has attracted a lot of people who see dollar signs with moderate academic requirements but don't realize how engaging and demanding the job actually is (doubly so in for-profit hospitals with short staffs). So they punch down to try and feel better.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I agree, people should be fired for whispering a non-sexual joke and then the person responsible for getting them shitcanned should get death threats. This is all cool and good. :rolleyes:

He shouldn’t have been fired and she shouldn’t have posted their picture but that scenario happened because traditional mechanisms for resolving sexual harassment issues disproportionately ignore women and enable men.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

He shouldn’t have been fired and she shouldn’t have posted their picture but that scenario happened because traditional mechanisms for resolving sexual harassment issues disproportionately ignore women and enable men.

Yeah, she DID go to HR oh wait that wasn't in the story, the first step was twitter

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yeah, she DID go to HR oh wait that wasn't in the story, the first step was twitter

She literally did go to the organizers of the conference.

I don’t think her going to Twitter was the appropriate way to handle it and I think she was overreacting in the situation as such but she’s correct to point out that she felt the way she did because society routinely doesn’t take her seriously when she raises concerns.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fix the unbalanced power that exists and then you can focus on fixing twitter “mobs”

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Find me one actual specific case of “Twitter outrage mobs” going after someone who credibly didn’t do whatever they’re accused of. I’ll wait.

The only person I can think of right now who could make a credible case he got a raw deal in this kind of scenario is Keith Ellison and he hasn’t complained in public about it whatsoever because he’s actually good.

CK will have an actual comedy special or movie again by the end of 2020, and you know it.

Wasn't there a bunch of people that were mistakenly doxxed as white supremacists after the Charlottesville rallies? Like, the internet pillories do get it wrong quite frequently from what I have seen and Twitter and social media have become the stocks in the town square. That doesn't mean the mob isn't valuable, I just worry about the weaponization of the mob like we saw in 2016. Social media really does feel like some sort of dystopian technology to me so I am usually inherently against it just on the principle that it is being "alone, together".

Although I have been using it for my climate change action group and just joined a YIMBY group soooo gently caress why does life have to be complicated...

That being said. Aziz always came off as a creep to me and I am glad he slammed his dick in a drawer repeatedly.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Decorated General and Defense Secretary calling the President grossly incompetent and calling for military to defend the Constitution no big deal, perfectly normal and cool day in the United States of America :suspense:

This uh, actually seems pretty huge

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

friendbot2000 posted:

Wasn't there a bunch of people that were mistakenly doxxed as white supremacists after the Charlottesville rallies? Like, the internet pillories do get it wrong quite frequently from what I have seen and Twitter and social media have become the stocks in the town square.

Yeah but who cares because

white sauce posted:

Fix the unbalanced power that exists and then you can focus on fixing twitter “mobs”

:rolleyes:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

friendbot2000 posted:

Like, the internet pillories do get it wrong quite frequently from what I have seen and Twitter and social media have become the stocks in the town square.

They do. But white sauce is correct that the Twitter mob exists precisely because the systems intended to deal with these problems... don’t.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Decorated General and Defense Secretary calling the President grossly incompetent and calling for military to defend the Constitution no big deal, perfectly normal and cool day in the United States of America :suspense:

This uh, actually seems pretty huge

Mattis has plenty of blood on his hands but at this point I’ll take his low key “Did anyone hear a bird call “coup” just now?”. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’ll lead to much.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

Wasn't there a bunch of people that were mistakenly doxxed as white supremacists after the Charlottesville rallies?

I don't really want to get into this conversation, but this sort of thing absolutely happened after the Boston marathon bombings, but it was reddit not twitter.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ascii genitals posted:

So what you're saying is you haven't read the book either, but you still wanna talk?

I don’t see why social justice being meted out is a bad thing; the Justice System in this demon cracker nation is way worse and no one is clamoring to tear it down.

And I’m not gonna but and read some lovely book about any of this, I don’t think it’s a perfect system but it’s one that makes the usual power dynamic a bit more even.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yea exactly

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

ummel posted:

Yeah I remember it coming up earlier in the thread and I may have added my story to it. But they are both nurses, my wife is an engineer. They were smoking cigarettes in the garage away from the kids and the two nurses were bitching about their jobs and one of them dropped that poo poo. My wife was like “not cool Amanda” and then her other friend was defending her and saying to my wife “you don’t know what it’s like to treat THESE PEOPLE.” I found out like a week or two later and told my wife that I wouldn’t seek out an argument with them. I did tell her that it’s only a matter of time until I hear something and respond much less diplomatically than she did. I was right!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

white sauce posted:

I don’t see why social justice being meted out is a bad thing; the Justice System in this demon cracker nation is way worse and no one is clamoring to tear it down.

Because the social justice is often disproportionate to the crime

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how this memo in particular is a rebuke of Trump. If anything it seems like it refers to him as the "best possible hands". What am I missing?

Same. I think people are reading way too much into it. It seems very neutral at worst toward the ol' Trumpster

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ok maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how this memo in particular is a rebuke of Trump. If anything it seems like it refers to him as the "best possible hands". What am I missing?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I can't believe the same mod who probated me for using the word retard when referring to Donald Trump is in this thread advocating for mob justice.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Because the social justice is often disproportionate to the crime

That’s because the formal systems nominally designed to deal with the issue don’t.

In a world without Twitter mobs, Justine Succo wouldn’t have faced any consequences at all for being aggressively publicly racist, instead of marginal consequences for a short time.

^ I fail to see how these things are related tbh.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tbh if you go through the full ringer of being actually unwilling to be around people who are even passingly racist, homophobic, or transphobic, just embrace your new reality of being friends with a bunch of queer people and poc and so forth. Middle-class and up USA is basically about putting up with bigoted white people around you so you can be a part of the tribe with all the related benefits or just doing your own thing with people who actually reflect your values

Pretty much this. I have one mapgames non-goon game group and it's inundated with bullshit ranging from Scott Adams style libertarians to at least one full on chud and one crypto-chud and is only tolerable because we half decently enforce a no politics over voice chat unspoken rule/gentlemen's agreement (and they have their own text channel to endlessly complain about LIBERALS).

That's the limit of what I am willing to tolerate due to pre-existing social contacts with a core of them going back nearly a decade now and it's hard to sever and gradually go through a process of unfriending people on facebook or unfollowing on twitter and avoiding IRL contact with anyone who crosses my red lines.

The result is my remaining circle of offline and online friends and contacts are cooler, chiller, and to varying degrees of being a member of the lbqtq camp.

It's not fun to scrutinize every social media post by everyone for dog whistles but this is I guess the price we have to pay just to meet the standard of being decent.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Twitter mobs are good the justice Department is corrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

That’s because the formal systems nominally designed to deal with the issue don’t.

In a world without Twitter mobs, Justine Succo wouldn’t have faced any consequences at all for being aggressively publicly racist, instead of marginal consequences for a short time.

lol did you even read the article linked earlier about what went down?They weren;t "marginal" or "for a short time"