Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you feel something for each death in Pulp Fiction. Even Marvin, if only because the clean up becomes such a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I read a thing a while ago that boiled down to "a lot of the poo poo in Pulp Fiction happens exclusively because Jules and especially Vincent are terribly lax with their guns." And their heroin, I suppose. Speaking of, back off a second -

BiggerBoat posted:

Vince was shooting up in Butch's bathroom
he does? Cause I certainly never caught on to that and 30 times could well be right. And it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

The order honestly seems pretty straightforward though. Vince and Jules go get the briefcase, Vincent shoots Marvin and they have to deal with the car/get a change of clothes, they go have breakfast and get into the robbery, finally deliver the briefcase, some time after that Vincent goes on not a date with Mia, and shortly afterward Butch's story happens.

Jules isn't in the picture anymore after they deliver the briefcase - I guess he really did get out of the game. Which brings me to another subtle thing, actually: Butch is presumably driving around in or near his neighborhood when he encounters Marsellus. I think there's a good chance Marsellus is at that point actually getting breakfast for himself and Vincent as they're camped out in this apartment. And he's likely filling in for Jules, with whom on the scene everything would have gone a lot different for Butch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pretty sure Vince was taking a poo poo. Who takes a book to go shoot up?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Davros1 posted:

I see you haven't watched the beginning of Trainspotting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

I see you haven't watched the beginning of Trainspotting.

Davros1 posted:

Pretty sure Vince was taking a poo poo. Who What American takes a book to go shoot up?

Fixed my post for you.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Davros1 posted:

Fairly certain the toilet flushing is why he gives himself away, too.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Also he's constipated because of all the heroin.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Don't you just love it when you come back from the bathroom and find your food waiting for you?"
"Man I'd settle for things just being normal when I come back from the bathroom, nevermind fancy extras."

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Davros1 posted:

He wasn’t reading that book, it was one of those hideaway books with cut out pages that Vince was using to keep his heroin in. We know this because Vince is illiterate.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

beanieson posted:

He wasn’t reading that book, it was one of those hideaway books with cut out pages that Vince was using to keep his heroin in. We know this because Vince is illiterate.

Also he had just learned an important lesson about hiding his heroin.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In an alternate timeline he comes out of the bathroom to find Butch bleeding out the nose on the floor.

“Again!?!” Vincent wails.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Davros1 posted:

Fixed my post for you.

Pfft, americans can be literate degenerates also.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Davros1 posted:

Huh. I thought it was his needle/rig cache.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh. I thought it was his needle/rig cache.
Nah, he's reading Modesty Blaise.

edit:

My Lovely Horse posted:

And he's likely filling in for Jules, with whom on the scene everything would have gone a lot different for Butch.
It's just occurred to me that the one time things don't get hosed up by Vincent being in a bathroom is when Jules is with him at Jimmy's house to give him a bollocking for not washing his hands properly. :v:

Pilchenstein has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Dec 30, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I read a thing a while ago that boiled down to "a lot of the poo poo in Pulp Fiction happens exclusively because Jules and especially Vincent are terribly lax with their guns."

Haven't watched the film in a while, but I don't remember Jules being lax with his gun.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Until this thread I had no idea the movie wasn't supposed to be in chronological order

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

RandomFerret posted:

Until this thread I had no idea the movie wasn't supposed to be in chronological order

The movie is famous for it, it was the first mainstream american movie to heavily experiment with non-chronological storytelling.

What about the movie beginning and ending on the same robbery? I'm just curious, what did you think was happening there?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I‘m betting „different restaurant“, they’re serial robbers after all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

What about the movie beginning and ending on the same robbery? I'm just curious, what did you think was happening there?

I feel like people dying and then reappearing is the bigger tell!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I feel like people dying and then reappearing is the bigger tell!

Maybe they're a Space Mutiny fan?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The speed, relatively quiet sound, and sudden nature of when Butch shoots Vince was always very unnerving to me.

I always put it down to the fact that they had a little "standoff" moment earlier in the film, which made it all the easier for him to pull the trigger when he had the chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYDF666wtrc

Also 100% sure Vince was taking a poo poo because he IS reading that book while sitting on the toilet in another part of the film

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It took me a long time to grasp the message of Pulp Fiction. Butch and Jules strive to change after their experiences and live. Vincent is just a bumbling gently caress who never takes the hint, and without Jules backing him up his luck eventually runs out.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It took me a long time to grasp the message of Pulp Fiction. Butch and Jules strive to change after their experiences and live. Vincent is just a bumbling gently caress who never takes the hint, and without Jules backing him up his luck eventually runs out.

all the characters have neat little arcs, its a supremely good movie

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think there's a good chance Marsellus is at that point actually getting breakfast for himself and Vincent as they're camped out in this apartment.

That's 100% what's happening.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
When I first got my hands on editing software I recut Pulp Fiction to be in order. It’s interesting but I think I prefer it the original way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Coffee And Pie posted:

When I first got my hands on editing software I recut Pulp Fiction to be in order. It’s interesting but I think I prefer it the original way.

Well, yeah.

It's one of the main reasons the damned thing is so prone to multiple re-watches. It really is a great piece of film making but I'm struggling coming up with something clever that's subtle about it to contribute to the thread.

um....let's see...

Did anyone catch how often Mia Wallace took her shoes off? Something about a "ballpark"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The existence of QT's extremely-obvious-in-hindsight foot fetish is one of those pieces of information I would happily eternal sunshine out of my head if I could.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It truly amazes me that, beyond his association with Harvey Weinstein, Tarantino didn't get caught up in #MeToo.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

1stGear posted:

It truly amazes me that, beyond his association with Harvey Weinstein, Tarantino didn't get caught up in #MeToo.

He gave what seemed to be a pretty genuine apology for his lack of knowledge/action there which I think helped him. As far as I know the only really creepy thing he’s display his fetish to the world.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
QT rubs feet consensually

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Coffee And Pie posted:

As far as I know the only really creepy thing he’s display his fetish to the world.
He choked that actress out on camera for the sake of "realism". That's quite a bit creepier than the foot thing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

He choked that actress out on camera for the sake of "realism". That's quite a bit creepier than the foot thing.

yeah but it worked

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Wasn’t there some thing recently with Uma Therman being injured on the set of Kill Bill that came off kinda lovely in his part? She requested a stunt driver for one particular scene and he talked her into doing it herself, she crashed & got kinda hosed up. Not really MeToo but she said it was the reason she hasn’t worked with him again.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Holy poo poo.

Vince was cooking a pop tart in the toaster because Wallace never got there with his breakfast, because of his encounter with Butch and the pawnshop rapists.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Memento posted:

Holy poo poo.

Vince was cooking a pop tart in the toaster because Wallace never got there with his breakfast, because of his encounter with Butch and the pawnshop rapists.

Uh soz no Butch put the pop tart in the toaster and the wallaces dungeon adventure was after Vince got killed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jazzyjay posted:

Uh soz no Butch put the pop tart in the toaster and the wallaces dungeon adventure was after Vince got killed.

gently caress, I could have sworn he went there after the rapists.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Memento posted:

gently caress, I could have sworn he went there after the rapists.

how do u remember the pop tart but forget zeds dead

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Coffee And Pie posted:

He gave what seemed to be a pretty genuine apology for his lack of knowledge/action there which I think helped him. As far as I know the only really creepy thing he’s display his fetish to the world.

Writing scripts so he can drop racial slurs on camera, the aforementioned choking out of Diane Kruger, which he also apparently did to Uma Thurman in Kill Bill, spitting in Thurman's face, his defence of Roman Polanski. Dude has a lot of creepy behavior going on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Quentin Tarantino's own mother probably thinks he's a little creepy.

The surprise is he's not more creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Look I think everyone just needs to watch Pulp Fiction again cause it's excellent.

Here's a fun one for you. John Travolta plays sloppy smacky hit man Vincent Vega. Psycho ear choppy Mr Blonde's real name is Victor Vega; they're brothers. This plus other clues show that Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are in the same universe. So is Mr Orange (Tim Roth) also Pumpkin (Tim Roth)? Is Mr White the Wolf's day job? Explain and support your arguments.