Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Push El Burrito posted:

The best part about the Star Wars people is they get to watch their series be filled with more women and POC. And as they wail about PC ruining their Star Wars old Luke Skywalker just keeps drinking that alien's breast milk.

I don't even much care for the new Star Wars movies but the fact that Nazis hate them for all the stupidest reasons brings me endless entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

Mobs scare me because I'm black and were often used against us as a weapon.

The #metoo relation to mob mentality also scares me because I'm black and false allegations against us are part of our history to get mobs against us and get us killed instead of the more imaginary scary thing they are for white men who didn't have that same history. And I support the movement otherwise.

Again, as I said before, mobs are bad because they disproportionately are used as a weapon, historically, against marginalized groups. Never support a mob because they always go bad. Bad people weaponize them and well meaning people who are worked up follow with them.

Yeah I hear ya, but there's big distinctions we have to make here.

Physical mobs that go around inciting people to cause horrific crimes like lynching are not the same thing as people getting together to identify racists and other abusers so they can be outed to their companies or their social circles.

I understand that this new digital way of trying to find justice isn't always precise, but one often takes the form of physical groups of murderous racists and in the other hand you have digital groups of usually marginalized social media users doing their activities online.

And it's not like the ones on the receiving end have the same outcomes as those of a straight-up lynch mob.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Holy poo poo if you think mob justice is a force for progressive social justice you have no conception of history or justice. You literally provided a perfect example of how such things disproportionately target/effect the vulnerable and somehow thought it was an example of why they're needed?

The entirety of lightning knight's/white sauce's arguments are basically just justifying power fantasies of hurting people they deem deserve it and setting right the wrongs of the system. The fact you default to telling us how bad the target of your rage is and how anything they got is deserved or any innocents harmed acceptable collateral damage is literally the problem.

You two are failing to see other's concerns because the fact people think like you is the problem with mob justice.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Quick form a twitter mob

I'm just saying lobbing Emmet Till in there just for inflammatory purposes was... I don't know but I guess it worked on me.

sexpig by night posted:

comparing 'mobs' where they're mainly the actual victims of more powerful men saying 'this guy is hosed up' and people going 'wow that sucks' where those powerful men really don't face much consequences unless it's Winstein who had such a long and deep history of sex crimes there was literally no choice but to put him on trial, and the general specter of lynch mobs, is loving insane.

But there really wasn't an equation there? This person was saying that the inherent dangers of any mob mentality worried them.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Push El Burrito posted:

The best part about the Star Wars people is they get to watch their series be filled with more women and POC. And as they wail about PC ruining their Star Wars old Luke Skywalker just keeps drinking that alien's breast milk.

Nearly every person I know ranks TLJ just under Empire and it makes me unnaturally giddy any time someone complains about it because imo it's a great film that manchildren dont like because it goes farther than "good guys fight bad guys"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No! you are telling the story wrong! the real story is way more weird! Leo gallagher is the 80s guy, ron gallagher is the right wing guy.

Like, original gallagher isn't some beacon of progressive thought or anything, his act definitely was huge on stereotyping, but it wasn't a slow shift to being right wing, gallagher is like, literally two different guys doing the same act now. And the most extreme bad stuff is other gallagher.

I think Leo kinda a prick but he's just generic 'old comic who's more a punchline than an actual comic' bitter stuff, yea. Ron is 'Gallagher 2' and yea he's the one running around saying 'and this watermellon represents SAFE SPACES' and smashing it or whatever the gently caress that guy does.

The Gallagher Saga is genuinely insane and it's hilariously one of the roots of the entire 'old comic who isn't funny bitches that those drat kids don't get comedy any more' genre

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/eclectablog/status/1079767391540776961?s=21

Yes Qanon has indicted 50+ Obama and Hillary officials.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

KickerOfMice posted:

No, and I hope he doesn't. Let that lameass crack bounce off and clatter uselessly to the floor.

:rolleyes: This reeks of "I need headlines and attention."

The biggest indication that he's gone full Dennis Miller? It contradicts material he did years ago, like when he talked about being too old for Girls Gone Wild and since he has daughters thinking "Get the whipped cream off your tits and go to class, there's a recession," etc. Now he's calling college kids out for caring about things and being activists pushing social change?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

Holy poo poo if you think mob justice is a force for progressive social justice you have no conception of history or justice. You literally provided a perfect example of how such things disproportionately target/effect the vulnerable and somehow thought it was an example of why they're needed?

The entirety of lightning knight's/white sauce's arguments are basically just justifying power fantasies of hurting people they deem deserve it and setting right the wrongs of the system. The fact you default to telling us how bad the target of your rage is and how anything they got is deserved or any innocents harmed acceptable collateral damage is literally the problem.

You two are failing to see other's concerns because the fact people think like you is the problem with mob justice.

a group of people saying 'it's hosed up that this powerful guy abused people' isn't loving 'mob justice' you dingus. You can't just go all Trump and declare everything where someone big faces public backlash a 'mob', and yea you can't loving compare that to literal lynch mobs

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nonsense posted:

given that marcy is their guest, i have a strong feeling the answer is "no"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

pft Mueller was Q before Q! Grifters like Mensch and TrueFactsStated were getting people to ~trust the plan~ months before the first terrible Q poem got written

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jarmak posted:

So if Louis CK is a huge sexpest and I make a hashtag and get people to tweet about it, is that mob justice? Because that sounds like an argument to do absolutely nothing about bad people behaving badly in the face of a system that won't do anything about it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VH4Ever posted:

The biggest indication that he's gone full Dennis Miller? It contradicts material he did years ago, like when he talked about being too old for Girls Gone Wild and since he has daughters thinking "Get the whipped cream off your tits and go to class, there's a recession," etc. Now he's calling college kids out for caring about things and being activists pushing social change?

Yeah, people saying his comedy has always been like this are being very reductive. This is a right-wing bent he didn't have before, even a little, and it seems like he's seen his only available career move

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nearly every person I know ranks TLJ just under Empire and it makes me unnaturally giddy any time someone complains about it because imo it's a great film that manchildren dont like because it goes farther than "good guys fight bad guys"

I’m glad the new Star Wars movies are trying to be progressive, I’m sad at how hamfisted the writing seems to be at times, I’m upset that Disney is now the main source of entertainment content for a legion of ostensible adults, I’m wryly aware that the Flintstones was a prime time sitcom, and I’m trying most of all to figure out the diplomatic way to let my family know that I was a manic Star Wars fan at 10, but at 42 I’m pretty much indifferent and that after Christmas I quietly donated a box of SW toys and clothes to Goodwill, and that I probably can’t be bothered to see any more of the movies because magic on tap for twice yearly drops isn’t magic anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah.

also the manchildren getting mad about poc and women obviously didn't watch the old movies.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mods please ruthlessly root out any new star wars versus old star wars derails

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nonsense posted:

If Marcy Wheeler is on, it’s not this shallow, and is worth listening to.

edit:

And sexpig is onto it; qanon and mueller are both salves that people use to convince themselves that they aren’t losing, that in fact an opaque source of justice will emerge from the mist and destroy their enemies.

selec fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 31, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

I remember reading this article when it came out and it would be hilarious if it wasn't sad how seriously people take YA books.

(yes that means gently caress people who take Harry Potter too seriously there I said it)

As an English teacher, these people are a blight on creativity or writing for character development.

Every main character being a perfect person with no flaws or problems is loving boring, and is just really bad character writing. People are naturally flawed and have baggage; your characters should have baggage but grow from new experiences.

Also, Harry Potter's mom is a perfect example of that character and JK Rowling writes human relationships like an alien learning about humans through an anthropology course on some distant world :colbert:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I think you can make a pretty convincing case that no, it's not the same mob going after the white techbro and the black woman, actually, and that they don't have the same motivations.

I think you overestimate the political aspects of the mobs. A tiny portion of the people going after any of these targets are idealogues, and few of them bother to look into anything beyond a single incriminating tweet or accusation. The crowd is there because it's legitimately loving fun to join in with the pack and pummel some poor bastard who can't fight back. All they care about is that someone has been declared fair game.

They have no interest in your causes and when they're bored with Weinstein or Nazis they'll gleefully go after "welfare cheats" or black men who match vague descriptions of criminals.

I think I'm just repeating myself at this point though. If folks want to embrace mob justice then eventually you're going to learn why people have considered it one of the worst loving things since the first attempts to write laws.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 31, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lightning Knight posted:

So if Louis CK is a huge sexpest and I make a hashtag and get people to tweet about it, is that mob justice? Because that sounds like an argument to do absolutely nothing about bad people behaving badly in the face of a system that won't do anything about it.

there's apparently no difference between 'a victim told their story in public and got support' and just pointing at a rando dude and saying "HE'S A RAPIST loving GET HIM"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Liz Warren would make a terrific President. But, as a MA resident, I can confidently say that she had no chance in hell of winning. Her reputation has already taken a noticeable hit in our state!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No! you are telling the story wrong! the real story is way more weird! Leo gallagher is the 80s guy, ron gallagher is the right wing guy.

Like, original gallagher isn't some beacon of progressive thought or anything, his act definitely was huge on stereotyping, but it wasn't a slow shift to being right wing, gallagher is like, literally two different guys doing the same act now. And the most extreme bad stuff is other gallagher.

sexpig by night posted:

I think Leo kinda a prick but he's just generic 'old comic who's more a punchline than an actual comic' bitter stuff, yea. Ron is 'Gallagher 2' and yea he's the one running around saying 'and this watermellon represents SAFE SPACES' and smashing it or whatever the gently caress that guy does.

The Gallagher Saga is genuinely insane and it's hilariously one of the roots of the entire 'old comic who isn't funny bitches that those drat kids don't get comedy any more' genre

Uhh, I'm pretty sure Leo (Gallagher) won a lawsuit against Ron (Gallagher 2) long ago that prevented him from touring as his likeness anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Liz Warren would make a terrific President. But, as a MA resident, I can confidently say that she had no chance in hell of winning. Her reputation has already taken a noticeable hit in our state!

we're pretty hosed if the next president isn't bernie or her but yeah you are, sadly, right.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

those aren't real consequences. pretty sure his net worth is in the eight figures.

Louis CK is not good with money. He bankrolled his Horace and Pete show with 2 million of his own funds thinking he could sell episodes to fans for $5 a piece. That direct sales method worked for his standup, but did terrible with his series. He eventually sold it to a cable channel, but before that he was pretty public in that everything he had was tied up in that show. So maybe he eked out a profit, but if he was counting on any backend money or another season being greenlit, then he's SOL.

He liked financing his own stuff because it provided him more freedom. Those days are over. He's not poor, but he's not happy either. I'd be surprised if his production company was still more than an empty office and an answering service.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Uhh, I'm pretty sure Leo (Gallagher) won a lawsuit against Ron (Gallagher 2) long ago that prevented him from touring as his likeness anymore.

There was some legal fuckery but Ron is totally still touring doing Gallagher poo poo, he may just be doing it as "Ron Whatever The Watermelon Smashin Dude What Hates Gays" but he's doing Gallagher in all but name still

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

pft Mueller was Q before Q! Grifters like Mensch and TrueFactsStated were getting people to ~trust the plan~ months before the first terrible Q poem got written

And really we were telling people to "post ur map" long before that so the Q is coming from inside the thread

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

And really we were telling people to "post ur map" long before that so the Q is coming from inside the thread

It’s just people praying for a montage set to the denouement of “Layla” all the way down.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1079769377531195393

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

'I never thought mobs would eat MY face,' sobs goon who voted for the mobs Eating People's Faces Party.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Quick form a twitter mob

The amount of Star Trek fans who are right-wing shitlords is frankly staggering. How do so many people miss the point so completely?

They saw the Mirror Universe episodes with Terran Empire, or Khan, and are like "hmmm this looks good to me!"

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I too remember all of those awful chapters devoted to that omnipresent character: Harry Potter’s mom.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also comics like Daniel Tosh and Anthony Jezzlenik don’t get it as bad because it’s clear they’re playing an awful person as a stand up persona.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I think you overestimate the political aspects of the mobs. A tiny portion of the people going after any of these targets are idealogues, and few of them bother to look into anything beyond a single incriminating tweet or accusation. The crowd is there because it's legitimately loving fun to join in with the pack and pummel some poor bastard who can't fight. All they care about is that someone has been declared fair game.

They have no interest in your causes and when they're bored with Weinstein or Nazis they'll gleefully go after "welfare cheats" or black men who match vague descriptions of criminals.

I think I'm just repeating myself at this point though. If folks want to embrace mob justice then eventually you're going to learn why people have considered it one of the worst loving things since the first attempts to write laws.

The more political aspect of social media mobs is that when it's a left - leaning person or minority or woman in the targets, the same people who attack women on twitter and Doxx them and stuff now magnify *those instances* because it's an "enemy" and attempt to use it as a weapon against the left. There is a lot of bad faith mixing in there.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

a group of people saying 'it's hosed up that this powerful guy abused people' isn't loving 'mob justice' you dingus. You can't just go all Trump and declare everything where someone big faces public backlash a 'mob', and yea you can't loving compare that to literal lynch mobs

It's pretty loving lovely of you to tell a black person that their fears based on centuries of historical evidence is unfounded.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

There was some legal fuckery but Ron is totally still touring doing Gallagher poo poo, he may just be doing it as "Ron Whatever The Watermelon Smashin Dude What Hates Gays" but he's doing Gallagher in all but name still

Ok I don't know what Ron is doing now, but we are 100% talking about Gallagher Original Flavor and he is racist and homophobic as poo poo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't like TLJ but I'm not a nazi.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Nonsense posted:

The host of this is the chair of the county party next door to mine and generally a solid guy. I have to assume the actual podcast is them saying "gently caress no" for an hour...

mrfreeze fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 31, 2018

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

sexpig by night posted:

CK pre-jackoff reveal is one of the prime example of mediocre white dudes getting praised for just not being actively terrible. Like, his whole act was just Dennis Leary "I HATE EVERYONE AND MYSELF" but without the screaming and more willing to make crude jokes rather than just sweary ones and he got treated as a revolution, then he had the dramatic moment of 'I talked to a gay guy who in the most gentle terms possible told me 'yea you wouldn't like it if someone turned an insult for you into a common saying right? Maybe stop calling things gay'' and got treated as if he hosted a PFLAG chapter out of his house for decades.

Then it came out he was a sexual predator and he spent less than a year facing no actual consequences, remaining rich as hell, but just not getting booked anywhere, and now he's back to tell you what a victim he was and clubs are eager to re-book him and gently caress the safety of female comics.If he really wanted to be edgy and make comedy a better place he should make his next act just a perfect recreation of the R, Budd Dwyer speech.

Didn’t Sarah Silverman watch him jerk off and defend him?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Koalas Massacre posted:

It's pretty loving lovely of you to tell a black person that their fears based on centuries of historical evidence is unfounded.

Also, as an Xer, we grew up more scared of false accusations causing us to lose jobs and stuff (or jailed) than being lynched. It's our parents and grandparents who were scared of actually being killed.

A white Mill male wouldn't necessarily have the same talks growing up as a black Xer, so it's understandable why the relation wouldn't be made. When I was a kid, I was taught by lived-through-segregation relatives to stay away from dating white women because there was a chance their parents wouldn't approve and then she might say I assaulted her. This isn't really the history that white people have; so there's an actual difference there.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

people keep saying he didn't "lose his money" and I dont know what you mean. People generally don't have money disappear spontaneously

I guess some people want asset forfeiture after all