Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TulliusCicero posted:

I am very thankful for the super good policeman that I never knew, and probably never cared about me other than doing a job like everybody else, and some of them were probably bad people

God bless

And how many of those 148 deaths were from typical traffic accidents that any profession that involves a lot of driving deals with? 100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

Bronze player who whines about ELO hell spotted.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

Trump instalocks Master Yi, blames team for feeding while he farms the jungle for 25 minutes, then dies in the first team fight.

Please stop giving me league ptsd :shepface:

I liked playing Sejuani and Maokai, and some other junglers, because I am an idiot who hates myself, and watching the mid laner push and feed relentlessly to the Yi/ LeBlanc and complain at me while I am helping top or bottom is true suffering.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Can we not do a loving LoL derail

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lol yeah that Louis CK bit definitely wasn’t unfunny angry commentary

“I HATE YOUNG PEOPLE THRY SJOIKD ALL SHUT UP NOW LAUGH”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Is this real? I really hope not.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And how many of those 148 deaths were from typical traffic accidents that any profession that involves a lot of driving deals with? 100?

If I recall, they count ANY cause of death IE if you have a heart attack.or punch your own ticket, it gets lumped in

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Harton posted:

I don’t know man, it’s better than a dumbass derail about “Twitter” being useful/lovely because it’s clearly lovely. At least this helps people come together with some troubling parts of their past. Honestly white people should be talking to each other more about this stuff because it makes us all feel a little less alone in the world. Which can help some people’s convictions when faced with ignoring these things or speaking out about them every day.

I’d say that’s more useful than talking about twitter for any reason.

There is actually a thread for this! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3857030&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#lastpost

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem with this is that implicitly assumes that this is primarily a space for white (men) and thus we should have a struggle session about how we feel bad for having been/being bad people which will push non-white men out of the space.

Like I'm guilty of it to don't get me wrong, but we should just deal.

Exactly. It's great to own your words and hold people in your community accountable by talking this poo poo out. Just don't shift the focus too far from POC.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Veryslightlymad posted:

Has CK actually done much of anything since actually issuing a confession and apology? It struck me at the time that he was like, the only person who showed any kind of self-awareness and/or remorse for being outed in this mess.

Here's a question, in a world of Kevin Spaceys who double down on shittiness and creepiness, and Hulk Hogans who apologize only for being caught, at what point do we say someone learned a lesson?

Because if the answer is "never", then they're never going to learn. It's sort of why the Death Penalty and massive sentences do nothing to actually deter crime.

Letterman’s apology seemed to go over well and made him at least appear redeemable, and seems to be doing ok.

Mel Gibson is doing movies again, so yea it’s possible for people to appear to have learned enough of a lesson but the bar needs to be high. I don’t really think it is.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Asher Smith wrote a criticism of a farm-related bill by Tammy Baldwin for Current Affairs that is interesting to read.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lightning Knight posted:

My posting is immaculate and my rap sheet is simply a list of times mods were wrong and/or jealous.

The rest of you should be inspired by my example.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Groovelord Neato posted:

that was disney being moronic though.

After being directly targeted in a coordinated attack from mike cernovich and some other info wars idiot.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lemming posted:

Can we not do a loving LoL derail

This. Unless it's about how they whitewashed Nidalee. I picked her as my main when I was like 21, because she was the only woc character and could be a cat, and tried to download LoL for fun last year and now she's white.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they also whitewashed taric.

Crain posted:

After being directly targeted in a coordinated attack from mike cernovich and some other info wars idiot.

yeah the whole deal was dumb besides but the fact they kowtowed to bad faith poo poo from a rapist moron makes it even worse.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol yeah that Louis CK bit definitely wasn’t unfunny angry commentary

“I HATE YOUNG PEOPLE THRY SJOIKD ALL SHUT UP NOW LAUGH”

I'm not surprised Ben Shapiro would find that bit funny

Ben doesn't seen to have a very good view of humor or any basic human interaction in general.

It must be hard to get a good view on any subject from down there.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Guys if you were white and a teenager you were likely racist and sexist and homophobic we do not need a public penance here in the trump thread

Well half the thread is advocating that people who make a racist or sexist remark in public should be shamed by a mob until they are fired from their job and can't leave the house so maybe yes we do need this.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem with this is that implicitly assumes that this is primarily a space for white (men) and thus we should have a struggle session about how we feel bad for having been/being bad people which will push non-white men out of the space.

No it doesn’t at all, I’m quite aware that not all of us are white. I don’t know what minority’s think about what I’m saying. You know what though? There are people here who can help us all with these sort of assumptions and maybe some of the things your talking about. Clearly you haven’t been paying attention to anything else in the thread except your dumbass Twitter argument. Some of us are open to being explained something we say may be wrong. This is a really good thread to see white people say terrible things and get called out for it big time. I’ve learned a lot just from those people’s mistakes and it’s opened my eyes to entire ways I used to think about little things that turned out to big a bigger deal than I realized.

“Twitter justice” is not necessarily a more important topic and if I’m wrong I definitely wanna hear it. Just not from a guy talking about Twitter for like the last 9 pages.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I was for sure a racist shitheel from like 2000-2016ish. It’s still something I have to actively work at and catch myself thinking something and have to go like is that racist.

I remember getting fed up with you years ago over that, so I'm glad you're working on it and trying to be a better person. Hope it goes real well.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Critical posted:

It's a little out there but CK made his career on pushing the envelope. He has a whole bit about using the N word as well as masturbating during the twin towers falling.

But those were funny bits. Taunting a high school kid for trying to advocate for gun control after his school was massacred in a shooting is just weird. It's a shame if CK really turned into an old unfunny bitter man.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Well half the thread is advocating that people who make a racist or sexist remark in public should be shamed by a mob until they are fired from their job and can't leave the house so maybe yes we do need this.

I can't imagine why the dude with a long rapsheet of sexism and defending dogwhistle racism would be upset with people who do the same or worse facing consequences.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Nice! Thanks, it’s bookmarked now.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/157533132927680515

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

But those were funny bits. Taunting a high school kid for trying to advocate for gun control after his school was massacred in a shooting is just weird. It's a shame if CK really turned into an old unfunny bitter man.

Look back at his catalogue of Edgy Funnyguy Stuff through this new lens of ‘forced voyeur masturbator who picks on young adults making change after watching classmates be murdered’ and there’s a good chance you will no longer find any of it funny. Maybe some of his writing but his stand up has always been this awful angry old man edgelord mess.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

:frogout:

If Trump can't acquire funding for his wall I wonder if he will settle for surpassing the longest ever US govt shutdown.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ben Shapiro is what would happen if an evil wizard brought one of those Calvin-peeing-on-the-Ford-logo stickers to life.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Does anyone know if Shapiro has stayed in any hotel suites in Moscow in the last decade?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

skylined! posted:

Look back at his catalogue of Edgy Funnyguy Stuff through this new lens of ‘forced voyeur masturbator who picks on young adults making change after watching classmates be murdered’ and there’s a good chance you will no longer find any of it funny. Maybe some of his writing but his stand up has always been this awful angry old man edgelord mess.

There's been a few too many cases of white men who go on about how terrible white men are and sooner or later it becomes clear that they were actually just talking about themselves.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've paid good money to see CK live, and will admit I laughed so hard my face hurt. Won't be doing it again, though.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Riptor posted:

She just got re-elected by a bigger margin than she first won by in 2012

In 2012 she was against the incumbent, popular Scott Brown. Getting only 60% of the vote in a blue wave in Massachusetts is bad, it's the same that Klobuchar got.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's been a few too many cases of white men who go on about how terrible white men are and sooner or later it becomes clear that they were actually just talking about themselves.

Well yea. What is it, when you talk about god the audience learns more about you then they do about god?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jarmak posted:

Holy poo poo if you think mob justice is a force for progressive social justice you have no conception of history or justice. You literally provided a perfect example of how such things disproportionately target/effect the vulnerable and somehow thought it was an example of why they're needed?

The entirety of lightning knight's/white sauce's arguments are basically just justifying power fantasies of hurting people they deem deserve it and setting right the wrongs of the system. The fact you default to telling us how bad the target of your rage is and how anything they got is deserved or any innocents harmed acceptable collateral damage is literally the problem.

You two are failing to see other's concerns because the fact people think like you is the problem with mob justice.

Well, the other day LK was arguing against legal representation for people he thought didn't deserve it so at least he's consistent.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

I've paid good money to see CK live, and will admit I laughed so hard my face hurt. Won't be doing it again, though.

Oh great, our own milkshake crow.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

skylined! posted:

Oh great, our own milkshake crow.

Also House of Cards used to film by my work, I've probably breathed the same air as Kevin Spacey

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I'm usually on the comedian's side in this sort of thing. Half the time the complaints are from people who literally don't understand the joke. Things like comedians making GBS threads on rapist catholic priests and internet white knights saying RAPE JOKE BAD!

That Louis CK audio is amateur terrible though. Even if the subject matter wasn't bad, it would be bad. Hopefully it's a sign his social punishment has been real.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Louis CK tapped into a very real vein that David Hogg is the most attention seeking individual in the United States and no, the President definitely isn’t tweeting constantly!

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

In 2012 she was against the incumbent, popular Scott Brown. Getting only 60% of the vote in a blue wave in Massachusetts is bad, it's the same that Klobuchar got.

If it came down to Warren and Trump, how many people would potentially learn from the lesson of 2016 and get out and vote and not do Bernie write ins?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

skylined! posted:

You must not have been reading the last few pages, particularly the post I made specifically contrasting stuff from the leaked set to his earlier work. I'm not trying to say it's completely out of the blue but why folks have to come ITT and do...THIS, whatever this is, and sound like experts to score cheap internet discusso points when they clearly don't know at all the subject they're trying to involve themselves in is beyond me. Why not just read the responses from folks with actually useful things to say and discuss it with friends if you want cheap points? Doing it here when I can bury you in factual counter-argument seems counter-productive. You're simply not being accurate here if you're trying to tell us the recent stuff is not a departure from older stuff, simply put. It's still CK, but clearly he's looking through a different lens right now. Ignoring that to make your point is ridiculous.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In a vacuum with just the apology, I still say it looks pretty good, but then

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

The rumors were around for years, and Louis CK would either lie or evade when asked about them directly. It was only once the NY Times came out with details and sources that he showed any remorse. And thankfully he shelved the movie he directed which managed to make light of the accusations against both him and Woody Allen.

(Emphasis mine)
Well, I mean, sometimes a person just takes the wrong lesson from something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CmdrRiker posted:

If it came down to Warren and Trump, how many people would potentially learn from the lesson of 2016 and get out and vote and not do Bernie write ins?

Probably a lot but also the number of write in/third party votes is overstated. Most people just stayed home entirely.