Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Who wants to see my WIP monster truck?
Nobody? Well too bad, I'm posting it anyway.

Still need figure out where to put the battery, connect the wires, finish the other half of the body, make some sort of interior....

E: amount of suspension travel : Silly;

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Groetgaffel posted:

Still need figure out where to put the battery, connect the wires, finish the other half of the body, make some sort of interior....

That’s real neat!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Please note, my hands are large. It’s a substantial size/weight.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Groetgaffel posted:

Holy poo poo dude this thing is ace.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Feenix posted:

That’s real neat!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Please note, my hands are large. It’s a substantial size/weight.

Saw that at the store today and thought really hard about buying it. How are the stickers on the roll that it comes with?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A Bad Poster posted:

Saw that at the store today and thought really hard about buying it. How are the stickers on the roll that it comes with?

Generic-but-cute, I suppose. I’m leaving them rolled up and locked in, for now.

I feel like I need to build a stand for it, though...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The falcon is unlike anything I’ve ever built. And I’ve built a lot of big rear end Star Wars sets. I love it but it’s kind of draining and such a departure from the last massive sets I built (Ninjago city’s) which were just so entertaining and cool to build the whole time.

The falcon is more like “ I will complete this to have an amazing looking model or die trying”.

I’m definitely not a technic dude.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Here's a few old lego creations of mine and a buddy from the 90's. This was the last time I was big into legos, but the bucket wheel excavator has definitely lit the fire again for me.

Mine:

Buddy's:

I think in general he was better at this than me, which kind of makes sense considering he went on to start his own artistic metal casting business.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

veni veni veni posted:

The falcon is unlike anything I’ve ever built. And I’ve built a lot of big rear end Star Wars sets. I love it but it’s kind of draining and such a departure from the last massive sets I built (Ninjago city’s) which were just so entertaining and cool to build the whole time.

The falcon is more like “ I will complete this to have an amazing looking model or die trying”.

I’m definitely not a technic dude.

One thing it has going is it is easily digestible; once you get the frame built, most of the bags are separate pieces that latch onto the main structure

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Welp, just ordered couple of the new technic kits.

Porsche, Corvette, the lifter and that funny blue thing with two large motors. I hesitated on the corvette, because I don't realliy think it looks good, but I like the "new" idea in regard to the engine pistons, and it's not that expensive, so yeah....

Also built the chinese wall for my mother over christmas when I was over, as she got it as a present from my brother and no longer can built lego that well. Nice set, with very nice colors, especially if you ever visited the real thing.

e: just read that the Mack has the same pistons as the new corvette....I guess I should have built mine :ohdear:

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 30, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
A lot of Targets seem to have restocked Benny's SS today.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Don't open the door, it's Games Workshops' lawyers

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Waltzing Along posted:

:neckbeard:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Woah really? Is it a new set or did they just dust it off for the new movie? That's great though. I skipped it last time and regretted it.

Edit: oh poo poo I thought you meant the ship nm...

Deceptive Thinker posted:

One thing it has going is it is easily digestible; once you get the frame built, most of the bags are separate pieces that latch onto the main structure

Yeah I'm just finishing the bottom side and it's become increasingly fun as it shifts into plates and greebling. There's a good 10 hours there where I was feeling like I felt like I was just building a giant, rainbow cross. It at least looks like the falcon now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 30, 2018

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Worst, or at least the most boring, bit for me was the feet.
Specifically the seventh foot.
The first six you build all at once, and I'm pretty sure that was the only thing you did at that stage. So you batch build them and it's done quickly.

Then, in a later bag, the last foot shows up, and it's exactly identical to the six you already powered through a while back.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

tuo posted:

Don't open the door, it's Games Workshops' lawyers

Yeah obviously that was the inspiration there. Similarly the smaller ship I built was based on the ships from Invasion America. Bad show, but I thought it was a cool ship design.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Groetgaffel posted:

Worst, or at least the most boring, bit for me was the feet.
Specifically the seventh foot.
The first six you build all at once, and I'm pretty sure that was the only thing you did at that stage. So you batch build them and it's done quickly.

Then, in a later bag, the last foot shows up, and it's exactly identical to the six you already powered through a while back.

:lol: true. I got to the seventh one and I was like sonovabitch!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah obviously that was the inspiration there. Similarly the smaller ship I built was based on the ships from Invasion America. Bad show, but I thought it was a cool ship design.

your work is really cool, you captured the look! that's what lego is all about .)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

Woah really? Is it a new set or did they just dust it off for the new movie? That's great though. I skipped it last time and regretted it.

Edit: oh poo poo I thought you meant the ship nm...

LOL. Didn't mean to get your hopes up.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Been building the Destiny's Bounty with my kid who got it for Christmas (well, I've been organising the pieces while he builds, and occasionally correcting his mistakes). It's a really nice model - lots of cool details (so far: a toilet with toilet roll, souvenir rack, circular 1-stud tile printed with a drinks can top to make a tiny can of soda, functioning anchor winch, stove with teapot, brick-built laser-pointer/Ultimate Weapon). It's also going to be really sweet for using in my D&D game when the party have to take an ocean voyage.

For Christmas, I got the wind turbine (which I didn't initially realise comes with the Power Functions stuff included, which is nice), and the new TIE Fighter, which I plan to mod into a TIE/rb Heavy since I already have the TIE UCS and the First Order TIE/sf.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The destiny's bounty make me hopeful for a future pirate ship set. It's so good. Best ship I own.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Welp, I finished the bucket wheel excavator.

Really cool set and unlike anything I've ever built before, both in scale and complexity. Lego has really stepped up their game since the 90's. Next step is going to be adding a lot more motors and converting it to remote control, then I'll see if I can rebuild it into a stripping shovel.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Welp, I finished the bucket wheel excavator.

Really cool set and unlike anything I've ever built before, both in scale and complexity. Lego has really stepped up their game since the 90's. Next step is going to be adding a lot more motors and converting it to remote control, then I'll see if I can rebuild it into a stripping shovel.

It’s kind of janky in the motor dept but it’s a great set!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Feenix posted:

It’s kind of janky in the motor dept but it’s a great set!

Yeah the problem is there's too much backlash and friction in the gearing, but considering the number of functions they accomplish with a single motor that's hardly surprising. The complexity of the gear train is pretty awesome in and of itself.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Now get a second bucket wheel excavator and make them fight :black101:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Or get the Ghost Rider minifig and set it on fire!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Put a shelf up in my kid’s room. Not enough clearance for Ninjago city but that’s ok it weighs a lot.
I think I’ll swap out some of the random stuff as I slot in future modulars, starting with the Corner Garage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol are you trying to torture him? Might as well just glue a Nintendo switch to the ceiling :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

Lol are you trying to torture him? Might as well just glue a Nintendo switch to the ceiling :v:

He has a billion lego sets to play with. These are just the ornamentals. Also I’ll pull something down if he wants... but the moment a 6 y/o friend of his comes over everything he owns has been dismantled and strewn about his floor. So gently caress that.

Trust me, this is an upgrade from “all the cool poo poo is down in my basement office, son.”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"No son, those are my toys."

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"No son, those are my toys."

Not that bad.. just like, “ hey either one of your friends or your hurricane 3 y/o sister is gonna smash this poo poo so let’s just play with it -by appointment only-.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
wow I didn't know Lord Business was a goon

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Attestant posted:

But it isn't surprising, is it?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So who does the dusting? I'm not allowed to display uncovered Lego on shelves...

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
So I made a start on the wind turbine last night, intending to build the base section. I've clearly been spoiled by the Destiny's Bounty and UCS sets with their numbered bags - the turbine set has unnumbered bags with kind-of-sorted-but-not-in-a-useful-way contents. There are about 14 bags, and to do the first 7 steps of the base (baseplate + little house + base of the turbine) required opening 8 of them, and a lot of time inspecting bags to figure out where a piece was.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

It's me, I'm Lord Business.

Nth Doctor posted:

God I am so very much The Man Upstairs as an adult. I was talking with some folks on Sunday night about how my office is covered in LEGO because my kids get handsy and stuff goes flying. "Yeah, I love LEGO as a sculptural medium and stick pretty closely to the instructions on the sets I buy because I'm not all that clever and I buy them because I appreciate the way that they look."

I think the baby step for me is to reclaim display table real estate by putting my CMF minis into my burgeoning modular neighborhood. I'mma get that hot dog cart and he'll have his own suited up mascot (it'll be a banana obvs).

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 31, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Attestant posted:

Hey, not that I need to defend myself, here, as it's all in good fun, but my kid has his pick of any Lego sets he wants. He can even play with/destroy Benny's Spaceship if he so chooses. But there are a few sets in the house that I'd rather not have a 3 and 6 year old dismantle. So instead, he gets them as decor in his room, which is pretty cool, IMO. (Modulars, etc.) Anything else on that shelf, he can ask to have taken down to play with, but I'd still like to avoid his malicious 3 year old sister totally destroying. :)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My 1 year old niece already instinctively destroys any duplo construction put together by my 3 year old nephew. Nay, not one brick will remain upon another.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I bought a duplo train set for a relative. Turns out the electric duplo trains are cooler than the "adult" ones. There are pieces you lay on the tracks that control the train. They make it stop, reverse, turn on the lights and make various sounds. I was very impressed.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Feenix posted:

but I'd still like to avoid his malicious 3 year old sister totally destroying. :)

we are from the planet duplon
we will destroy you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
So friggin' psyched for the new Speed Champions sets tomorrow. All these classic cars!