Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

learnincurve posted:

Lol let’s break it down. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/31/theresa-may-talking-eu-leaders-hope-brexit-commons-vote

“May is still talking to EU leaders in hope of Brexit reassurance”
Is she though?

““She has been in contact with European counterparts over the break, and you can expect more of that to continue over the week,” the prime minister’s spokeswoman said.”
Contact?

“I haven’t got a list for you, but she has been in touch with European leaders, and that will continue in the lead-up to the vote.”
Left messages on answerphones don’t be silly, No you don’t know the leaders she’s talked to, they go to another school.

Lol an actual 'I was just on the phone to my girlfriend from Canada'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Firos posted:

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1079731598587760640?s=12

I’ve read this and now you all have to as well.

Yes, Corbyn is Brexit's fault.

Sorry to hear about your troubles LC, though I was very glad to read you have a secure roof over your head.

That sounds like great news fuctifino, you can spend some of it on the best monster munch (beef).

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

josh04 posted:

Another mark against his name in the original thread which kicked this off:

https://twitter.com/omgstater/status/1079317859627601921

I'm not particularly a fan of Bastani, but it's a load of weird nonsense.

Criticising the wealthy is now Antisemitic.

I'm kind of fed up with Big Boy Bastani given he's such a cringe worthy guy but this is just desperate attacks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

This is very much his thing and my ignorance of pig will show
Pig ignorance? :classiclol:

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Japanese curry is 19th century British curry reinterpreted by the Japanese army.
This seems like the worst possible progression of events for a food.

Barry Foster posted:

I saw Ralph Breaks The Internet (family trip thing while I'm home) and while obviously it's a kids film it really made the internet seem a shiny utopian place and not the wasteland of hatred, idiocy, cruelty, abuse and grift that it is.
The director's cut has goatse and the bit where he visits gab and gets called all the bad words for jews.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rahzmataz posted:

I just got back from a tiny seaside town near Gt Yarmouth. Its one of those towns that's dying, sadly. They have a port that provides jobs, but it's too close to Felixstowe and too small. It's weird to walk around, oddly depressing. Kind of feels like a forgotten place.

Would you say it feels like there's a shadow over Yarmouth?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

baka kaba posted:

Well this is the thing, innit? Somehow in the midst of half the PLP falling over themselves to destroy the hated Corbyn, the leadership managed to wrangle the party into a pretty consistent pro-doing-brexit position. There must have been some internal agreement on a broad strategy, how to play this whole thing from a position of relative powerlessness, with a long-term game plan that satisfied the pro-Remain MPs enough that they'd go along with it. Appointing Starmer and outlining the six red lines probably went a long way towards convincing people that they weren't just giving up and letting Jeremy do what he likes

But that strategy is gonna be complex and evolving depending on circumstances, so I can completely believe there were arguments and clashes over how to proceed. Same with conference - if there's a plan (especially one that requires pushing a certain narrative to the public) then it's obviously not helpful if other well-meaning people pull back the curtain early. And that's the problem when you're not being completely open about what you're doing - but arguably it's necessary to "play politics" like this to actually get a result, or the best chance at one anyway. And they have gradually been more open about "maybe we don't brexit" messaging as it gets closer to crunch time, which is clarifying what Labour will actually do in the end, like if there's a GE campaign (clarifying definitely isn't the word but you know what I mean!)

And I wasn't really talking about focus groups, I was making the point that Labour's broad strategy probably means it's still too early for that pivot. Events have not taken their course yet, so they can't appear to be reacting - it seems like they want to give the appearance of operating in good faith at every step, so jumping the gun to undermine the government and attack brexit would look like opportunism and make it easier to paint them as REMOANERS ALL ALONG. Especially if they want to force a GE, they need popular support, and that's easier to get if it looks like they're trying to rescue the country from a government that's out of control. Which is why May keeps repeating that Labour are purely trying to gain power here, she's trying to combat that narrative

Clarifying what Labour will actually do in the end, if there is a GE campaign? I'm sure Conference would have been startled to learn that Labour's position, in the snap GE scenario, would be to campaign to renew the mandate for Brexit. The party has spoken! You have to admire the chutzpah there. I've remarked before that establishing credibility requires drawing out your most reluctant party supporters and then punching them in the face to demonstrate your resolve despite them; in that regard Corbyn's doing pretty well there.

(The really remarkable part, has to be said, is where some of the people being punched thank him for the attention to detail. I'm not sure whether that counts as helping. Might be jumping the gun a bit, as you say)

I sketched the problem with the forecast earlier: there isn't a scenario where there is only a choice between May's Deal and No Deal, because the prospect of kicking the can further down the road has already been systematically floated. This is well within the mandate of "all options" in lieu of a general election, as McDonnell has highlighted. The existence of this course of action means that revocation could only be favoured by REMOANERS ALL ALONG. And, unfortunately, extension is a spectre that can (and therefore, by your argument, must) be serially summoned right up until the evening of March 29th itself, which is probably why the Shadow DExEU Secretary has been giving the football some practice kicks.

Even taking it as given that this is out of the Blue Labourite Tough on Arrogant Liberal Elites, and Tough on the Causes of Arrogant Liberal Elites playbook, if this is the play, it's one that has worked itself into a corner. It turns out that the intersection between "convinces those flipping about ethnic immigration, but not so much that they prefer No Deal, that one has acted in the best possible faith" and "convinces those flipping about the economy and/or bourgeois internationalist sensibilities, but not so much that they would be sensitive to a protracted period of steadily expelling Europeans and European businesses, that one deserves to retain their enthusiasm for Labour" might not be very large?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Guavanaut posted:

Pig ignorance? :classiclol:

They are incredibly loud like nails on blackboard played through stadium speakers, but the big ones with lots of wirey hair that act like dogs are cool.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ronya posted:

Clarifying what Labour will actually do in the end, if there is a GE campaign? I'm sure Conference would have been startled to learn that Labour's position, in the snap GE scenario, would be to campaign to renew the mandate for Brexit. The party has spoken! You have to admire the chutzpah there. I've remarked before that establishing credibility requires drawing out your most reluctant party supporters and then punching them in the face to demonstrate your resolve despite them; in that regard Corbyn's doing pretty well there.

(The really remarkable part, has to be said, is where some of the people being punched thank him for the attention to detail. I'm not sure whether that counts as helping. Might be jumping the gun a bit, as you say)

I sketched the problem with the forecast earlier: there isn't a scenario where there is only a choice between May's Deal and No Deal, because the prospect of kicking the can further down the road has already been systematically floated. This is well within the mandate of "all options" in lieu of a general election, as McDonnell has highlighted. The existence of this course of action means that revocation could only be favoured by REMOANERS ALL ALONG. And, unfortunately, extension is a spectre that can (and therefore, by your argument, must) be serially summoned right up until the evening of March 29th itself, which is probably why the Shadow DExEU Secretary has been giving the football some practice kicks.

Even taking it as given that this is out of the Blue Labourite Tough on Arrogant Liberal Elites, and Tough on the Causes of Arrogant Liberal Elites playbook, if this is the play, it's one that has worked itself into a corner. It turns out that the intersection between "convinces those flipping about ethnic immigration, but not so much that they prefer No Deal, that one has acted in the best possible faith" and "convinces those flipping about the economy and/or bourgeois internationalist sensibilities, but not so much that they would be sensitive to a protracted period of steadily expelling Europeans and European businesses, that one deserves to retain their enthusiasm for Labour" might not be very large?

what the gently caress even is this?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1079752188354879488?s=19

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

On the one hand Suvorov is one of a long tradition of Russian exiles spewing paranoid bullshit about the Soviet Union. On the other, lol at the country that signed a pact with Hitler to invade and carve up Poland and the Baltics ever being called the 'innocent party'.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I, too get my WW2 history lessons by binge drinking to Sabaton Albums.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Would have been cool if they'd crushed fascism in Spain in the 30s instead of turning their backs on the anarchists.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Trotsky woulda helped in Spain

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

I wouldn't really call it an anti-elitist play, more that Brexit is and has been a deeply divisive topic, likely to produce a lot of single-issue votes, so Labour has to be careful not to look like The Enemy at any point. Committing to the principle of trying to see it* through is key to holding the government to account for their own fuckups - cue the "stupid woman" theatrics they all dived on with glee because it was a rare opportunity to change the subject, until Nandos launched the phantom drones and captured the news cycle

I mean you're right, at some point it has to come to a head, all the probabilities need to collapse into a course of action, and Labour needs to win over Leave voters without alienating hard Remainers (i.e. not the Remain voters who made up part of the large majority who said Brexit needs to go ahead - not seen anything recent on how people feel about that though). At the end of the day, a large group of people are gonna lose and be unhappy, so it's whether Labour manages to bring them all along by looking like the best option.

I mean you could argue that this is what Corbyn's doing with his talk about renegotiating - he's probably completely sincere about that, which gives Leave supporters the chance to vote for someone who'll try their best, but it also lets Remain voters say "well that's not gonna happen is it?" at which point you have the other noises Labour has made on the subject - outright rejection of exiting with no deal, for one thing. It all feels a lot like a trust exercise, which is why the appearance of operating in good faith this whole time is important. But the messaging might have to change when there's actually a GE taking place, and that kind of polling you posted will be important - and until there is a GE, all the options are there to put pressure on May, because that's really the only power the opposition has??

*'it' being a particular take on what was voted for ("at least as good as what we have now") similar to how T May has her own take on what people voted for ("banish ALL THE IMMIGRANTS")

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doesn't learnincurve live in Derbyshire? It'd be a hell of a cover, nobody's going to expect to find a smuggling ring at the furthest point from the sea. What's the maximum range on those drones we were all talking about?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1079618404200271873

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i don't like the new doctor

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Doesn't learnincurve live in Derbyshire? It'd be a hell of a cover, nobody's going to expect to find a smuggling ring at the furthest point from the sea. What's the maximum range on those drones we were all talking about?
Pretty sure a pig could be used to smuggle a lot of coke, if you were so inclined.

Speaking of pigs, the UK is really bad at this nationalism thing: Not a single person seems to be trying to breed a national flag pig, which is the recognized procedure when standing up to Germans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought that was a poppy?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
pigs or gtfo

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

HJB posted:

TIBFJB
This Is Bad For Jeremy Borbyn :confused:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

I thought that was a poppy?
Way too low effort, emblematic of anemic national pride.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

TACD posted:

This Is Bad For Jeremy Borbyn :confused:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Way too low effort, emblematic of anemic national pride.
Danish flag poppies are cool tho.

I accidentally got English flag poppies from cross pollination between Danish flegs and Persian whites once. I wonder if Emily Thornberry would want them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Corbyn will do what is correct. If he does Brexit it was correct.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Another question I'd like to see the People's Vote/FBPE types answer, is how are they going to make sure a 2nd ref is binding? The whole premise of May as leader is to go ahead with Brexit, and she has shown on multiple occasions now that she doesn't give a flying gently caress about parliamentary conventions and traditions. If a hypothetical 2nd ref isn't absolutely cast iron in its wording, then even if Remain wins (and there's no guarantee it's even on the ballot) there's a good chance May would just ignore it or stall or whatever and we end up leaving anyway. What then? I know the reason for that is the goal for melts is to cancel Brexit without changing anything else at all, but I'd like to see them explain it anyway.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Japanese curry is 19th century British curry reinterpreted by the Japanese army. But it's fancy now for some reason

It's surprisingly nice for something that's a butchered Japanese take of a butchered British take of an Indian food.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
In the end it’s backed by the threat of civil unrest. Someone better explain this to the #fbpe’s.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Scikar posted:

Another question I'd like to see the People's Vote/FBPE types answer, is how are they going to make sure a 2nd ref is binding? The whole premise of May as leader is to go ahead with Brexit, and she has shown on multiple occasions now that she doesn't give a flying gently caress about parliamentary conventions and traditions. If a hypothetical 2nd ref isn't absolutely cast iron in its wording, then even if Remain wins (and there's no guarantee it's even on the ballot) there's a good chance May would just ignore it or stall or whatever and we end up leaving anyway. What then? I know the reason for that is the goal for melts is to cancel Brexit without changing anything else at all, but I'd like to see them explain it anyway.

This is under the premise that after 2 years of brexit negotiations and analysis what the actual costs are, anyone in the UK government still wants out and not just does it for the fear of pissing half the country off.

Also re: unpopular opinion

There should have never been a referendum. Certain powers don't belong into the hands of the people. The power to ruin your country by a 51 percent majority is one of them. Let alone that the referendum cemented the countries segregation, whereas there was a good chance in 10 or 15 years most of the knobheads that want the genetically superior apartheid Britain would have died of old age or some physical manifestation of brain disease in silence and without ruining it for the other half.

E: vvv case in point

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 31, 2018

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/1078522376059531264

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Great, UKIP has been reading Day by Day cartoons.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Oh no Sargon got an official job role in UKIP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

It's surprisingly nice for something that's a butchered Japanese take of a butchered British take of an Indian food.

Regarde Aduck posted:

In the end it’s backed by the threat of civil unrest. Someone better explain this to the #fbpe’s.

These two posts go very well together.

"Postmodernist Neo-Marxist" always cracks me up until I remember that some people believe it's somehow a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kGtIJxAH3A

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice to see carl of swindon's input was taken on board.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I saw that tweet and had flashbacks to the jorp thread.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Scikar posted:

I don't really see this, if remain wins a second referendum, May, who supported remain, gets to just go OK cool we'll remain and get on doing whatever garbage she was doing whilst trying to figure out how not to resign before the election like she said she would. I agree that the first battle is even getting remain on the ballot, although with her deal (presumably) defeated in the commons already and the only alternative no deal or I suppose calling an early election I don't see why it wouldn't actually be her most attractive option at that point.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't really see this, if remain wins a second referendum, May, who supported remain, gets to just go OK cool we'll remain and get on doing whatever garbage she was doing whilst trying to figure out how not to resign before the election like she said she would. I agree that the first battle is even getting remain on the ballot, although with her deal (presumably) defeated in the commons already and the only alternative no deal or I suppose calling an early election I don't see why it wouldn't actually be her most attractive option at that point.

if

at this point remain aint no certainty and I will die lolling if the british public vote leave again.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
One of the things that was lost in the BBC article about Disgraced Former Defense Secretary Liam (he brings us a bad name) Fox saying Brexit was a 50/50 chance of happening was Jean Claude Juncker saying, that with 89 days to Brexit, the EU still doesn't know what the UK wants and this is all perfectly fine

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Remain isn't going to be on a second referendum. There's no way that passes multiple votes in the commons when the ruling party has a group dedicated to making sure it doesn't get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I do cringe whenever a FBPE type says that in the second referendum the leave side won’t be able to just regurgitate all their proven lies. Why the hell wouldn’t they repeat a winning strategy?