Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

hiddenriverninja posted:

She-punisher?
Punis-her?
PuniSHEr?

There should be a Punisher that kills people that makes puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adnor posted:

Missing the best part of the cosplay:

I would pay this guy to show up to every party I host with this gimmick

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruceski posted:

I completely missed that Thor had a prosthetic in the first panel, so when he pulled it off I was thinking it was going to a "somebody spiked the drinks" punchline of superheroes tripping balls.

He lost an arm around the whole "Unworthy" thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

He lost an arm around the whole "Unworthy" thing.

Malekith took the arm soon after he lost the hammer, yeah. Honestly surprised that wasn’t fixed post Secret Wars.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Who What Now posted:

There should be a Punisher that kills people that makes puns.

There was, on a Conan O'Brien bit. He was called the Pun-isher.

In his first and only appearance Conan pointed out to him that his name was itself a pun and he exploded.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adnor posted:

Missing the best part of the cosplay:

That's just how cons are. Along with people smuggling in booze, drug dealers loving love them. You can be pretty sure a lot of the cosplayers you meet are hosed up on something other than alcohol, usually coke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Malekith took the arm soon after he lost the hammer, yeah. Honestly surprised that wasn’t fixed post Secret Wars.

I'm not, Old Thor had the metal arm in the future bits from the very first issue of Aaron's run. He's not getting the arm back as long as Aaron is writing him (and honestly I don't know why a future writer would undo it). The question is if we see Thor lose the eye too in his run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

That's just how cons are. Along with people smuggling in booze, drug dealers loving love them. You can be pretty sure a lot of the cosplayers you meet are hosed up on something other than alcohol, usually coke.

Most major cons sell booze on the floor these days.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I'm not, Old Thor had the metal arm in the future bits from the very first issue of Aaron's run. He's not getting the arm back as long as Aaron is writing him (and honestly I don't know why a future writer would undo it). The question is if we see Thor lose the eye too in his run.

Eh, if he were going to lose it, he would have lost it sometime around Thor Ragnarok's release date. Now that the MCU version has both back again, the power of movie synchronicity is on Thor's side. I mean, unless they just do exactly the same thing as the MCU and promptly replace it with a cybernetic one that looks identical.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Comic Thor is probably keeping his eye until if and when he gets All-Father powers, because that's the same deal Odin made.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Eh, if he were going to lose it, he would have lost it sometime around Thor Ragnarok's release date. Now that the MCU version has both back again, the power of movie synchronicity is on Thor's side. I mean, unless they just do exactly the same thing as the MCU and promptly replace it with a cybernetic one that looks identical.

I was just saying that Aaron foreshadowed Thor losing an arm and an eye from the start and we've seen Thor lose an arm.

I don't think Marvel cares as much about synchronicity between the movies and comics now as they did when they went through all that effort to make Nick Fury Young, Gifted and Black.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've been doing cons wrong.

Other than occasionally sneaking in booze with the people who have tables.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Skwirl posted:

Wasn’t he armless in the future that Dan Jurgens wrote in his run? The Reigning?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

chitoryu12 posted:

Rhyno posted:

Most major cons sell booze on the floor these days.

Both of these assertions are hella far away from my experience running conventions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Tbh I think that while the MCU starting to give directors more free reign on making their movies is a good thing, one thing that's getting lost on the shuffle is sharing info on what's going on. Iike, iirc the Russo's had to ask Chadwick what would be a good battle cry for the Wakanda battle scene because they hadn't seen anything from the black panther script, and I'm betting the rocket gives Thor an eye scene is because they had already filmed a bunch of stuff with hemsworth not knowing he loses an eye in ragnarok. It feels so unnecessary I can't think of any other reason why they would do it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Toshimo posted:

Both of these assertions are hella far away from my experience running conventions.

Holiday Matsuri in Orlando was just a mess of drugs and alcohol. A friend of mine forgot almost everything that happened on Saturday because a friend soaked her breakfast sandwich in cannabis coconut oil until it was dripping. Plus all the coke and other substances.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

chitoryu12 posted:

Holiday Matsuri in Orlando was just a mess of drugs and alcohol. A friend of mine forgot almost everything that happened on Saturday because a friend soaked her breakfast sandwich in cannabis coconut oil until it was dripping. Plus all the coke and other substances.

Florida is not and never will be an accurate representation of the rest of the free world.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Dragoncon and both Megacons are always booze-soaked and drug-fuelled affairs, but the latter is run by weirdos so for the most part the really hosed up stuff keeps to the area hotels. I have friends who "attend megacon" but don't once go to the convention center the whole weekend and their experiences are almost always more interesting than mine, if not explicitly better.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Plastik posted:

both Megacons

STILL FLORIDA

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's not their fault that you go to boring cons

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Metrocon in Tampa is also great because they have a hotel with bars and outdoor balcony pools directly connected to the convention center by a bridge over the road, which gets completely filled with cosplayers every year. It's also utterly terrifying because it's one of these hotels but like 20 stories:

Staying there gives me serious vertigo. I'm always shocked that there's no deaths.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 31, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cooked Auto posted:

Medusa just casually handing over money with her hair is a great detail as well. :D

Medusa not wearing her domino mask is a crime.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toshimo posted:

STILL FLORIDA
Buddy what do you think Magfest is other than an excuse for smelly nerds to get wasted, play bideo james, and listen to terrible music?

chitoryu12 posted:

Metrocon in Tampa is also great because they have a hotel with bars and outdoor balcony pools directly connected to the convention center by a bridge over the road, which gets completely filled with cosplayers every year. It's also utterly terrifying because it's one of these hotels but like 20 stories:

Staying there gives me serious vertigo. I'm always shocked that there's no deaths.
Don't worry, there'll be plenty of deaths when it collapses because the Floridian construction company used beach sand in the concrete or whatever. Or, do worry, I guess.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

chitoryu12 posted:

For true vertigo, nothing beats the Marriott Marquis in Atlanta, which is one of the Dragon Con host hotels. Back when I actually used to go to D*C, my friends even called it the Vertigo Hotel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keromaru5 posted:

For true vertigo, nothing beats the Marriott Marquis in Atlanta, which is one of the Dragon Con host hotels. Back when I actually used to go to D*C, my friends even called it the Vertigo Hotel.

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency across the street over the weekend and it's the same. I don't get how such a dangerous and nauseating hotel plan became so popular.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Comic Thor is probably keeping his eye until if and when he gets All-Father powers, because that's the same deal Odin made.

He lost both last time they did Ragnarok back in 2004, didn't he? I vaguely remember him losing both eyes, getting greater power and vision than Odin, stopping fate, dissolving the entire Pantheon and then becoming some kind of super cosmic being.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 31, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toshimo posted:

I said major cons. I've bought and walked the floor with booze at c2e2, multiple wizard worlds, motor city, gen con etc.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

This makes me feel like I'm looking up the ribcage of one of those wooden toy T.rex models.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

Isn't there a scene in one of the Wild Cards novels where Golden Boy jumps off one of those balconies and falls down the center shaft?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I said major cons. I've bought and walked the floor with booze at c2e2, multiple wizard worlds, motor city, gen con etc.

Toshimo, Awesome-Con literally had a beer brewed special for them.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of cons and dangerous/weird settings, Kansas City's Naka Kon used to be held in the very same building where this happened.

https://i.redd.it/0jrystnknl601.jpg

The Hyatt Regency.

I've walked over that repaired walkway many times before I ever learned of what happened to it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 21, 2019

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Random Stranger posted:

You can't post Rocket Racer and not mention his arch-enemy (seriously):

I love that the 90s cartoon had to actually adapt this storyline.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

site posted:

Tbh I think that while the MCU starting to give directors more free reign on making their movies is a good thing, one thing that's getting lost on the shuffle is sharing info on what's going on. Iike, iirc the Russo's had to ask Chadwick what would be a good battle cry for the Wakanda battle scene because they hadn't seen anything from the black panther script, and I'm betting the rocket gives Thor an eye scene is because they had already filmed a bunch of stuff with hemsworth not knowing he loses an eye in ragnarok. It feels so unnecessary I can't think of any other reason why they would do it

Maybe the arm and/or eye loss are psychosomatic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vlaphor posted:

The Hyatt Regency.

I've walked over that repaired walkway many times before I ever learned of what happened to it.

That one's infamous for engineering, right up there with Tacoma Narrows. It's why any time a plan is altered in the slightest it has to be re-certified.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Toshimo, Awesome-Con literally had a beer brewed special for them.

Oh yeah, and Amell is doing up a special wine for Emerald City next year (i think). C2E2 has a Hellboy beer last year.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah, and Amell is doing up a special wine for Emerald City next year (i think). C2E2 has a Hellboy beer last year.

You have failed this Burgundy!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
fwiw by my knowledge those tower atrium hotels are perfectly fine from a structural engineering perspective, that specific Regency aside. They're not actually any more hazardous or risky than other hotel designs, they just are proportioned internally such that they cause people (including me) to experience a touch of vertigo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

fwiw by my knowledge those tower atrium hotels are perfectly fine from a structural engineering perspective, that specific Regency aside. They're not actually any more hazardous or risky than other hotel designs, they just are proportioned internally such that they cause people (including me) to experience a touch of vertigo.

Yup. They're perfectly safe, just disorienting.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Vlaphor posted:

Speaking of cons and dangerous/weird settings, Kansas City's Naka Kon used to be held in the very same building where this happened.

The Hyatt Regency.

Can you explain this one? i thought it was scarface at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Can you explain this one? i thought it was scarface at first.

I believe that’s the aftermath of the Hyatt Regency Walkway Collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

111 people died.

Also, is that the color of the floor or blood in the right side of the picture.