Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

keyframe posted:

cause pressure sensitivity don't work with it. :(

Ah, I thought a browser would handle those touch types.

That is a shame though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I saw this pop up in my feed the other day. Is this you guys? Do you really get your deliveries from Nazis? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfUJDxEfz4

Full interview with some good advice on modeling skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zENO68h1eMg

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Happy holidays!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Komojo posted:

Happy holidays!

Is there such thing as uncanny valley for cats? Nice tree reflection, regardless! Took me a second to see it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Please crank up the hair length to 11 and make a mega floofball tia

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

BonoMan posted:

Post necromancy.
ManicTime is awesome at auto time tracking

Thank you for this - I just started using it. I jump around a lot, spending 30 minutes on a proposal for one job, then a quick call about something else etc, all day. i'm not using this for the timesheets feature but it's a great reference and allows me to leave my timesheets until the end of the day without worrying.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Thank you for this - I just started using it. I jump around a lot, spending 30 minutes on a proposal for one job, then a quick call about something else etc, all day. i'm not using this for the timesheets feature but it's a great reference and allows me to leave my timesheets until the end of the day without worrying.

Yeah it's awesome as hell. Especially when you get into the depths of auto tagging (which didn't think would be that useful, but is loving awesome).

And it turns out the Mac lite version (which needs a web UI to tag time and isn't as full featured) is good enough for our Mac users, so we're going whole hog into it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah, I have been loving the auto tagging. having 2 copies of max open with 2 different projects and it able to track my time in each file down to 30s is amazing. We already have strict prefix naming conventions on projects so it's no extra work at all. and it's cheap, compared to what we pay for gantt charts and other timesheet software.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Feels great to be struggling to model some really basic version of a popular thing and then a pro artist is featured on ArtStation doing *the exact same thing* light years better with comments like “today’s doodle! Had a couple of hours to myself, modeled while watching the new Walking Dead episode”

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Feels great to be struggling to model some really basic version of a popular thing and then a pro artist is featured on ArtStation doing *the exact same thing* light years better with comments like “today’s doodle! Had a couple of hours to myself, modeled while watching the new Walking Dead episode”

Bet it feels a lot better than not modelling some really basic thing though! Practice and soon you will be whipping things out during a tv show.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

taqueso posted:

Bet it feels a lot better than not modelling some really basic thing though! Practice and soon you will be whipping things out during a tv show.

True

I am inspired by these artworks, it’s just funny to see someone doing it effortlessly. I’ll be philosophical about it and use it as motivation :11tea:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Yeah but they can do that because of the fifty billion hours they've previously spent modeling stuff. Also I find in general people frequently understate how difficult something was to do and how much time and effort it took. Not necessarily deliberately, it's just easy to think of something you routinely do as not much of a thing at all no matter how much expertise it actually took.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Elukka posted:

Yeah but they can do that because of the fifty billion hours they've previously spent modeling stuff. Also I find in general people frequently understate how difficult something was to do and how much time and effort it took. Not necessarily deliberately, it's just easy to think of something you routinely do as not much of a thing at all no matter how much expertise it actually took.

And they usually don't post the stuff that did not work out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah, I have been loving the auto tagging. having 2 copies of max open with 2 different projects and it able to track my time in each file down to 30s is amazing. We already have strict prefix naming conventions on projects so it's no extra work at all. and it's cheap, compared to what we pay for gantt charts and other timesheet software.

Price is definitely what sold us. It's more full featured than other stuff too. At our volume it's a $50 1 time cost per user... Other time tracking crap was between $3,000-7000 per *year* which is dumb.

In fact most pricing on all of these SaaS's out there is outrageous. There's no scalable small business pricing.

We pay $30/month for Team Gantt and $1000/year for Basecamp.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I asked a while back about cards for GPU rendering, but I missed the window to get a 1080Ti on the cheap. I might end up being able to upgrade my video card in a month or two and start dipping my toes into Redshift. I think Cubicle's opinion was to not bother with anything less than a 1080Ti, but has anyone looked at the data on card performance with the new RTX line- curious if an RTX 2080Ti would be worth the $ investment over a 2080. Currently it's almost twice as much for the 2080Ti on Amazon.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean bitcoin fell below profitable mining and is hovering around there

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Some student work from last term.

and a WIP I am working on for that cat posted earlier.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 8, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

working on a shader in unreal 4 that uses tesselation combined with masking moss on top of the rock independent of the orientation. I think once i make a good mesh I could get a pretty convincing cliff out of this that's highly reusable.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Starting up livestreaming 3D environment art again this year. Goin' live in 45 minutes if anyone's interested: https://www.twitch.tv/mutatedjellyfish

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

mutata posted:

Starting up livestreaming 3D environment art again this year. Goin' live in 45 minutes if anyone's interested: https://www.twitch.tv/mutatedjellyfish

Following you on Twitch now... These art streams are interesting to me, because it would give me a lot of anxiety to make something while someone watches. Fumbling around with the tools and things not working. Or maybe that's part of the challenge.

Probably gets better when you're more experienced, more chill

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In fact, it's terrifying!

Haha, having a comfort zone definitely helps, though. Having some standard techniques and procedures to fall back in is vital, but I also enjoy the driving force of "I have to get from point A to point B during this stream."

Thanks for the follow! :)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hey all, I've been following along in a modeling course for a bit now. While I still have no idea what I'm doing, progress is being made.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Warbird posted:

Hey all, I've been following along in a modeling course for a bit now. While I still have no idea what I'm doing, progress is being made.

Awesome

how long did this take you? And what software are you learning

I’m starting out too, using Modo, although this past month I’ve kind of let it lapse a bit with holidays and such.
And honestly I got too into ArtStation and sort of fell into a “I’ll never be that good” funk. But I’m now at a “Oh, whatever I can do is fine, I like it” :11tea:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What program are you using?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whoops, sorry. Straight Blender right now. It’s free and integrates well into Unity and the like. The stuff here I’d suppose was around 7-9 hours or so. I’m very much copying what’s being done in the course lectures so I can’t claim too much. It’d be a lot fewer hours if I could pay attention better, but that’s life for you.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
So I have an amazingly weird question.

First of all: I'm primarily a photographer with some video experience. I have played around with Daz Studio and a tiny bit in Blender in the past but that's about it as far as 3D goes.

The setup: I'm working on putting together a cosplay photo shoot with the Super Crown versions of Bowser, Boo, and Chain Chomp (you know, all those characters that were basically all over the internet in August and September). But what I want to do with this shoot is to do quite a bit of light painting using PixelSticks to show off scenes from the various Super Mario games (primarily Super Mario 64 and earlier). Now the straight 2D imagery is going to be easy. But I want to do more than that. Since SM64 was the first 3D Mario I want to represent that really well. Especially since everyone remembers when they first ran into that huge rear end Chain Chomp in Bob-omb Battlefield and went HOLY poo poo. And to take it a step further I'd like to take some ideas from the 2D games and represent them in a 3D space because I don't think people would expect that.

This is where my problems come in.

So I have some game assets in OBJ format with related MTL and texture files (all in relative paths). So since I was more familiar with Daz I figured I'd try that. But for some reason whenever I try to import the OBJ file for some reason the textures are not brought in. And for the life of me I've not been able to find a straightforward answer on how to fix this issue via Google. Based on past experiences this seems to be the case with Daz Studio in general once you get beyond their tutorials.

I've tried Blender but now I'm running into two different issues. If I use the Blender render engine the textures are there but for some reason in the version I have (2.78) the light control over the lamp is not working in a way I understand. Like I'd import Bob-omb Battlefield but even when I set the lamp for Sun (or any other light type) most of the map is still in shadow regardless of any adjustments I make to the lamp. If I go to Cycles engine then I get more light control but then I have to re-associate all the textures?

Basically what I'm looking for is a program where I can import these objects and go 'set item, set item, set item, set lights, set camera, render'. At some point I do want to be better versed in 3DCG since I certainly see potential with my photography. The problem is that Today Is Not That Day.

Does anyone know of a program that could at least get me started here? I do have a good friend who's pretty decently versed in 3DSMax but I'd rather at least have some scenes built on my own. Then I can go to him and be "Hey, anyway you can make this item and this item for me?" Rather that just trying to direct him completely from scratch.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I can’t speak to most of that, but I do have this nugget of info: Blender’s render engine is pretty binary on stuff like shadow. If a side isn’t facing a light source, it’s gong to be pitch black as you mentioned. Change the lamp to hemi and you can get around it until you get a lighting solution more to your liking.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ReverendHammer posted:

Basically what I'm looking for is a program where I can import these objects and go 'set item, set item, set item, set lights, set camera, render'.

They're all like that, but you need to get deep into how they work and how the software expects you to work with it before it's really that simple.

Stick with blender, but step back and do some basic tutorials on the interface, creating objects, lighting & rendering - then come back to take on this project. You cant learn 3d software from scratch by only focusing one very specific use of it, you need to have an overall primer first. It sounds like you're clicking around hoping to figure this out on your own, and right now it's near impossible for someone on a forum to tell you how to do it when you dont know the terminology they'll be using.

Get some good tutorials and invest 2-3 hours 3 nights a week and you'll have it under control in under a month. From that point on you'll be able to learn whatever you need by focusing on single specific uses/project ideas & asking for more targeted help.
edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kes2qmijy7w
maybe that? go up to at least lesson 25, and dont skip things you think you already figured out on your own.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 11, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Update on that scarab.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
so i got gerstner waves working in unreal 4 if anyone wants the code. I hosted it on polycount and here's the link to the download.
(to use it in the material editor just copy and paste the contents of the text file into the editor)

Kanine fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 11, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kanine posted:

so i got gerstner waves working in unreal 4 if anyone wants the code. I hosted it on polycount and here's the link to the download.
(to use it in the material editor just copy and paste the contents of the text file into the editor)

Neat, saving this for my upcoming shoot’em up game coming out in 2025

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

More tweaking. I don't think I like the red in the chest.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 12, 2019

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Komojo posted:

I saw this pop up in my feed the other day. Is this you guys? Do you really get your deliveries from Nazis? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfUJDxEfz4

Full interview with some good advice on modeling skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zENO68h1eMg

Haha yep! One of the places I work with! They're a great bunch of people, they saw something in me I didn't, and knew how to immediately maximize it to get stuff done.

Still doesn't change the fact that working in TV is stressful as hell, but Barnstorm is likely one of the better boutique studios to work for. They take good care of their employees, and I can't thank them enough for giving me a chance to shine. I see my work on TV on a weekly basis pretty much, from the commercials to TV shows, and daily when I'm browsing the internet.

Hell, they even pushed to get me screen credits for MHC s3, something I wasn't expecting at all. Only found out like a week after release, when I happened to watch through the credits in a later episode and saw my name. That was drat cool, honestly didn't think I'd see my name on a prestige show for at least another two years.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://darrenhorrocks.com/projects/7042240
This looks cool

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Did you guys know about this?
https://polycount.com/discussion/206842/polyretopo-the-secret-maya-node

Maya has a zremesher / autoretopo node apparently. Works very well with booleans. Guessing it will be full fledged tool vs. a hidden node soon.

Zerbra23
Aug 1, 2016
Hey all. I'm trying to get more into 3d modeling and I was wondering if there were any other free alternatives to 3d modeling other than Blender. It's a good program but really chugs on 100k poly models (2.8 is getting better except if you try moving a face with all polys visible. Possibly the hide function would be good for that) so does anyone have any suggestions?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zerbra23 posted:

Hey all. I'm trying to get more into 3d modeling and I was wondering if there were any other free alternatives to 3d modeling other than Blender. It's a good program but really chugs on 100k poly models (2.8 is getting better except if you try moving a face with all polys visible. Possibly the hide function would be good for that) so does anyone have any suggestions?

It’s not free but Modo has a very cheap version on Steam, I love it, starting out with modeling myself but from what I’ve researched it’s one of the more liked modeling softwares by those who bother to use it

From what I looked at, most 3d software these days has a free/indie/academic version available if you look

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zerbra23 posted:

What kind of computer are you using? 100k polys should definitely not be a problem. Make sure you're using subsurf, and break the model into multiple objects if you can.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Definitely go with the free version of Houdini (apprentice) if you want a non Autodesk full featured package. It will handle high poly counts, assuming your computer can.

Otherwise for low poly you could try Wings3d and for high poly maybe sculptris?

Polybrush just gets better and better and seems like an interesting alternative to Zbrush or Sculptris. Hexagon is another novel option but it's pretty old and I have no idea if it has been updated or even competes against Blender.

Oh yeah - forgot about Sketchup for low poly / hard surface stuff and Makehuman if you just want to make a humanoid character.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

Did you guys know about this?
https://polycount.com/discussion/206842/polyretopo-the-secret-maya-node

Maya has a zremesher / autoretopo node apparently. Works very well with booleans. Guessing it will be full fledged tool vs. a hidden node soon.

I saw it in last week's Lester banks Roundup. Precisely 24 hours after I really could have used it. Still really useful though. Especially for those of us often going from Maya to After Effects (element 3D)