Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

effika posted:

They're around, but they've taken five business days to ship my order during non holiday or busy times. I don't think I've ever had an order ship in a timely fashion from them. On average it's been 3 business days before the order gets shipped for me.

Mine have usually all shipped the next business day from the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

used my pilot metro and resurgent cursive skills to write my family all personalized cards with mushy messages about what they mean to me

being broke sucks but having an inexpensive way to write classy notes is dope

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
You're not the only one! I've been writing a lot more letters since getting back into fountain pens. Even my wife does not escape getting a short letter every few days.

She gave me a Spenserian manual for my birthday, so I've been trying to work on more loopy and, well, curvy cursive. Usually I just write my standard faux italic with a line wherever is convenient to join, but I decided I should devote time to learning proper Spenserian and Roundhand.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I guess I write in Palmer? idk i got taught cursive in 3rd grade and i used a pdf of a palmer method textbook to jog my memory

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Speaking of methods and altering script been trying to introduce the classical "a" and that's been a bit of fun

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My school transitioned from D'Nealian to Zaner-Bloser at the Wrong Time for me. I have D'Nealian print letters and cursive Zaner-Bloser and teachers always wondered why my writing was so inconsistent. (It was also very illegible and everyone gave up on me. I was one of the few families with a computer and a printer at home in those days and was asked to type out assignments from Grade 3 on.)

My writing got a lot better once I decided I wanted to work on it. (And had done a ton of recreational therapy in the form of knitting to strengthen my fine motor skills. Not that it was prescribed or assigned; but my writing got better after knitting for a few years.)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I have the handwriting of someone who's suffered a couple of concussions, and is also the child of two doctors.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

I have the handwriting of someone who's suffered a couple of concussions, and is also the child of two doctors.

Extremely same

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I’m in Berlin for a few days, is there a stationery store I should start my Lamy collection at?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Probably the Lamy store

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

I long since gave up on handwriting and even lower-case letters. Now it's all block caps all the time. At least it's legible. I kinda want to re-learn Palmer or learn Spencerian, though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

reading caps lock handwriting beats the hell out of reading chicken scratch. cursive isn’t about legibility anyway, it’s about writing quickly without tiring.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

reading caps lock handwriting beats the hell out of reading chicken scratch. cursive isn’t about legibility anyway, it’s about writing quickly without tiring.

Well, this takes me back to Grade 10 English.

Also, I've actually had said concussions and am actually the child of two doctors.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The clear o-ring that connects the lower section with the body in my Moonman m2 just broke. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

And while I'm asking does anyone know other nibs will fit into a Moonman m2?

edit: the small o-rings seem easily available but no idea where to get the bigger ones...

Sankis fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 1, 2019

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if you exhaust all other avenues, o-rings are very common industrial items; you could have some luck calling around to places that carry air fittings and giving them the measurements, though you might have trouble finding one that’ll sell you them loose rather than in bulk.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sankis posted:

The clear o-ring that connects the lower section with the body in my Moonman m2 just broke. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

edit: the small o-rings seem easily available but no idea where to get the bigger ones...

Your local hardware store should have a large assortment of loose o-rings. Ace is usually especially good for that.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Your local hardware store should have a large assortment of loose o-rings. Ace is usually especially good for that.

This. Head towards the plumbing section. It'll most likely be a black o-ring instead of clear though.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
How small do PenBBS extra fine nibs run in comparison to Pilot extra fines? The only cheapish extra fine Pilot I can find is the Kakuno, which is a bit light for me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAGyqMvdPY&t=228s\

The PenBBS 355 DOES NOT infringe on the Bulkfiller patent. The Bulkfiller patent pertains to the very specific way that the rod is locked on to the piston head, and the 355 uses an entirely different mechanism. Instead of the rotating metal catch in the Bulkfiller, it uses a simple friction arrangement to capture the piston at the top of the barrel.

Otherwise they're both very large syringe fillers, and those have been around since the late 1800s.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

How small do PenBBS extra fine nibs run in comparison to Pilot extra fines? The only cheapish extra fine Pilot I can find is the Kakuno, which is a bit light for me.

The Pilot will be finer. You could get a Pilot Penmanship and put the nib in to a Metropolitan if you wanted.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

grack posted:

Instead of the rotating metal catch in the Bulkfiller, it uses a simple friction arrangement to capture the piston at the top of the barrel.
Watching the video, that seems like a recipe for breakage, but yeah it's certainly not a bulkfiller.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Sankis posted:

I think a size 5 nib should work,

I swapped in a cheapo fudé nib with no modifications or anything needed

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's the approximate lowest price I can find a Lamy 2000 for at a (reputable) online retailer? I know a couple of people who have ended up with what seem like fake Safaris in the past from random online retailers, I assume the 2000 is probably not as big a risk though?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I've never seen a fake Lamy 2000.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

grack posted:

Good to know. I figured it would be much less likely (and more monitored by Lamy) than fake Safaris, I was just blown away that anybody cared enough to try and counterfeit fountain pens til I saw the oddball things my friends ended up with. Admittedly, they had bought a 3-pack of "Safaris" from some random Amazon seller for $40 so the price probably should have tipped them off.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MockingQuantum posted:

Good to know. I figured it would be much less likely (and more monitored by Lamy) than fake Safaris, I was just blown away that anybody cared enough to try and counterfeit fountain pens til I saw the oddball things my friends ended up with. Admittedly, they had bought a 3-pack of "Safaris" from some random Amazon seller for $40 so the price probably should have tipped them off.

drat, they paid way too much for their safari knockoffs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I ordered a white Safari supposedly from Amazon themselves that was fake. And it was slightly more expensive than a real one I got from Mayfair Stationery, because in my silly mind I figured that surely the fake one would be cheaper.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

drat, they paid way too much for their safari knockoffs

Yep. The guy who actually made the purchase was pissed when he found out they were fake and went on an Amazon customer service rampage, I almost wish I hadn't pointed it out. He could have gone on living in fountain pen bliss, since I think they wrote fine. At least until he bought another Safari.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Heath posted:

I ordered a white Safari supposedly from Amazon themselves that was fake. And it was slightly more expensive than a real one I got from Mayfair Stationery, because in my silly mind I figured that surely the fake one would be cheaper.
Amazon apparently mixes their own inventory with third party seller inventory so you probably don't want to buy anything from them when any of the sellers' inventory might be counterfeit.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

grack posted:

So they just feel like cheap plastic? I'm not super thrilled with my purchase.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Demon_Corsair posted:

Welcome to fountain pens

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ask me about fountain pens: So they just feel like cheap plastic? Welcome to fountain pens.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Idk why you'd want a lamy 2000 when the imperial blue lamy studio exists

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, now,

FAUXTON posted:

Idk why you'd want a lamy 2000 when literally any al-star exists

:colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have the silver-green and South Pacific al-stars too and sort of agree

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

It's not quite a Lamy 2000 knock-off, but the Kaco Edge is a heavily inspired "homage" and is about a dozen bucks on eBay.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/340339-kaco-edge-brushed-makrolon/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

someone didn’t read the thread title

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Over the holidays, I went to an estate sale and bought an old Sheaffer Skripsert for $5. It's really cheap plastic and the cap spins around in an annoying way and the nib looks like a Parker 45 knock-off, but... holy poo poo is it a nice writer. Smooth as glass, juicy wet, with just a hint of stub. Somebody took really good care of this one.

It's almost frustrating, really; the actual writing experience outshines plenty of pens I've paid good money for.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

someone didn’t read the thread title

My first pen was a metro because of this thread. I've since moved to mostly Lamy pens though.

That being said I have a vanishing point and it is by far my favorite pen.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Idk why you'd want a lamy 2000 when the imperial blue lamy studio exists

I was going to say, because I want a gold nib pen, but it literally just occured to me that I could get a Studio and just swap out the nib for not much more than a 2000. I do think I'd like the Studio's body better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I was going to say, because I want a gold nib pen, but it literally just occured to me that I could get a Studio and just swap out the nib for not much more than a 2000. I do think I'd like the Studio's body better.

What's funny is I sold the studio to get the 2000, I didn't like the slippery metal grip section of the studio. The weight was so much better though.