Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1079811678991278080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

We also need more than 2 viable parties.

A-loving-men, but with the money and power established in the current structure, that's goona be one tough nut to crack. Let's just burn down K street instead.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KickerOfMice posted:

A-loving-men, but with the money and power established in the current structure, that's goona be one tough nut to crack. Let's just burn down K street instead.

The ecomdy/tragedy is that a Brewster's Millions "None of the above" campaign would absolutely have a shot at victory but LOL money in politics

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Crain posted:

We really need to get ranked choice voting or else we'll never get away from this dumb argument.

Also, nationwide early voting and excuse-free ballots by mail.

make voting easier so the working class can have more of a voice.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This excuse could be used to excuse any number of atrocities so long as they are slightly less atrocious than the competition.

Lesser of 2 Evils is still Evil

Democrats can be influenced to be good (it's difficult and a lot of work but not impossible). The situation where Democrats are in power is salvageable. With Republicans it is not. It's not merely the lesser of two evils, it's the difference between someone you can yell and scream at until they improve and someone you yell and scream at and they laugh and laugh.

Edit: Also note that DSA approach is smart, effective, and based entirely on subverting the Democrats which has already been proven to work

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Crows Turn Off posted:

Sure, Clinton messed up, but these are not equal. A reasonable person would not go from "Clinton didn't do much for me" to "so I'll vote for a sexist, racist, willfully ignorant fascist." Voters of Trump are to blame for voting for Trump.

I know that this thread loves being reductive to the point of absurdity, but if you can't acknowledge the possibility of multiple factors contributing to an event then maybe politics isn't the spectator sport for you. Let me run it down for you:

Hillary hosed up by assuming that 2016 was an anointment and not an election, AND
Some people who didn't like Hillary hosed up by assuming that their votes didn't matter and staying home, AND
Some people who liked Obama but didn't like Hillary hosed up by voting for Trump out of spite, AND
Some people voted for Trump because he was the Republican candidate and not because they agreed with his actual campaign, and hosed up by assuming the rest of the GOP would keep him in line, AND
Some people voted for Trump because they're actual "deplorables" Hillary was talking about, and they hosed up by being racist, sexist, homophobic bigots.
AND Trump hosed up by assuming he wouldn't get elected and would just get a talk show where he could own the libs. :v:

How much weight should be assigned to each of these factors is, even two years later, still a matter of debate. Sometimes, people can talk about one of these factors without mentioning the others, and it doesn't mean that the other factors don't exist, just that they're not the topic of discussion. It's ignorant and foolishly reductive to demand that your pet factor be the subject of discussion whenever one of the others comes up.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Yeah and she still got more votes. Just not in the right places.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

The ecomdy/tragedy is that a Brewster's Millions "None of the above" campaign would absolutely have a shot at victory but LOL money in politics

I meant the two-party system is more than a detriment to actually grasping and discussing the issues at hand. I come to D&D to learn, I'm not as smart as the rest of you, quit makin' fun of me! :argh:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rudoku posted:

If you want to talk about how bullshit the EC is, I am 100 percent on board that train

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Rudoku posted:

She also got more votes than Obama in the 2008 Democratic Primary, but values loyalty more than competence so didn't know where she needed to get votes.

I unironically want her to run again, because I haven't seen Hillary Clinton lose the presidency through sheer incompetence (while claiming to be the most competent candidate) enough times for my liking.

B B fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 31, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Doug Stanhope never struck me as a very funny comic, but he was on Opie and Anthony back in the day, and some cop had recently been shot and killed in NYC and the boys were doing their usual fellatio of the NYPD. One of them said "It's a shame, he left behind a wife and some kids" and Doug Stanhope without missing a beat said sarcastically "yeah, it's such a shame he chose such a dangerous job when he had a wife and kids."

I guffawed

Doug Stanhope is mostly angry and not that funny, but his good stuff is incredible. He is at his best when the alcohol makes him vulnerable, and his insides show. If you haven’t heard it, find him telling the story about killing his sick mother with her prescription medication. It’s raw and phenomenal.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

He is at his best when the alcohol makes him vulnerable, and his insides show.

Welcome to my gamefaqs on how to defeat Doug Stanhope

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hmm. guess warren is trying to tell clinton to stay the gently caress away and also build progressive trust.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

Yeah, I'm glad I never found him to be remotely funny in any way now.

Does Chapelle still do standup?

He recently started again and it's alright.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Huh never heard the term bearish used in the finance way in a non fin-context before.

Also still dont get why bear means down and bull means up, but the whole fin/bank/MBA sphere should be burned and sent into a hell dimension for their bs.

Bears hibernate and bulls, uh, run fast?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doug Stanhope never struck me as a very funny comic, but he was on Opie and Anthony back in the day, and some cop had recently been shot and killed in NYC and the boys were doing their usual fellatio of the NYPD. One of them said "It's a shame, he left behind a wife and some kids" and Doug Stanhope without missing a beat said sarcastically "yeah, it's such a shame he chose such a dangerous job when he had a wife and kids."

I guffawed

i'll be a monster and say i like some of the old opie and anthony poo poo. like yeah, rotten and wrong but it could be funny sometimes especially with jimmy and Patrice. the obvious problem is anthony became more and more awful and now he is just gross open chud.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i'll be a monster and say i like some of the old opie and anthony poo poo. like yeah, rotten and wrong but it could be funny sometimes especially with jimmy and Patrice. the obvious problem is anthony became more and more awful and now he is just gross open chud.

Yeah, Anthony's disintegration as Obama's term started and went on killed my love of the show

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Hell, even adding in an honest to god "Neither" option and a minimum viable vote requirement for states/districts leading to a new round of primaries.

I get abstaining from voting for someone on principle, or even a 3rd party "protest" vote, in the abstract. However in the current system that just lowers the bar for the other party since there's no actual minimum requirement for votes, just a simple majority, to allocate electoral votes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Please celebrate safely as you usher in the new hellyear...

https://twitter.com/wesleysnipes/status/1079823462070345728

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Doug Stanhope is mostly angry and not that funny, but his good stuff is incredible. He is at his best when the alcohol makes him vulnerable, and his insides show. If you haven’t heard it, find him telling the story about killing his sick mother with her prescription medication. It’s raw and phenomenal.

Ma! Ma, wake up, they found a cure!

His cameo on Louie of all things is utterly devastating as well. He plays a suicidal open mic comic seeing his friend for the last time before killing himself. Stanhope is one person on earth who honestly does not give a single gently caress. He'll be dead within a decade and I think he wants it that way.

For those asking about the reasons for bull vs bear market I heard it based on the attack pattern of the animal. A bull will lift its head to gore with its horns and a bear will swipe down with a paw. Sounds stupid but makes as much sense as anything else in this dumb gently caress country.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i re-listen to o&a stuff on youtube from time to time and it's real obvious when a bit aired during obama's term. jimmy and patrice made the show.

listening to the to catch a predator shows was awkward considering what we know about anthony now.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ummel posted:

but bears could bite your balls(and face) off and bulls get their balls cut off for a weird moutain people dish.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
And surely you'll buy your pint cup!
and surely I'll buy mine!
And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS
We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine;
But we've wandered many a weary foot,
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS
We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine†;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS
And there's a hand my trusty friend!
And give me a hand o' thine!
And we'll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079830267274108930?s=19

Delayed at a record pace!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ummel posted:

My admin teacher said that bears punch down from above, making a sinking graph line. Bull strike from below and gore upwards, making a rising line.

Could be bullshit, but it's the all I heard on the matter.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

even if it had just been "bad sex" i don't see the issue with a woman writing about. the orgasm gap and all that.
Gentleman, you can't gently caress here! This is the sex dungeon!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not voting means the Republicans win, so not voting is the same as voting for a Republican, so they're to blame as well.
I don't know, I've voted third-party in most elections since Obama radicalized me in 2005 2009. And every single time I did, the Democrat won (the seat or electoral college vote, as applicable). Your argument is a ridiculous generalization.

Not voting isn't a vote for Republicans, it's most often a vote for "I don't believe politics offers a chance of improving my life". An attitude which is probably wrong, and could be blamed on the voter, sure. But better to blame it on the Democratic Party, since not only do they share some responsibility for fostering this attitude over the past 40 70 years, but also are in a much better position to change it.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 31, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Senator Warren live official announcement of her presidential run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...m=.517871b3af66

E- damnit I only got the tail end of that. :doh:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 31, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Gentleman, you can't gently caress here! This is the sex dungeon!

James O'Keefe parachute account spotted.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't know, I've voted third-party in most elections since Obama radicalized me in 2005. And every single time I did, the Democrat won (the seat or electoral college vote, as applicable). Your argument is a ridiculous generalization.

Not voting isn't a vote for Republicans, it's most often a vote for "I don't believe politics offers a chance of improving my life". An attitude which is probably wrong, and could be blamed on the voter, sure. But better to blame it on the Democratic Party, since not only do they share some responsibility for fostering this attitude over the past 40 70 years, but also are in a much better position to change it.

Obama winning his 2004 Senatorial election radicalized you?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Lol god Louie just expand that FX into the full Fox News logo and you’ll finally be home.

Memories coming back of hearing people talk at work about how “impressive” the “men can be raped too”’skit was on his show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1079801898625056769

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, Anthony's disintegration as Obama's term started and went on killed my love of the show

yeah. he was already kinda of dickhead but then he just went all the way there. he is a gross as gently caress now.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how this memo in particular is a rebuke of Trump. If anything it seems like it refers to him as the "best possible hands". What am I missing?

The hands to which he refers aren't Trump's, he's addressing the Department of Defense. The appeal to constitutional duties and darkest times is what clues me in, I missed it at first too

CPColin posted:

The gently caress is this unamerican-rear end date format??

War crimes forgiven for using a date method that makes sense (though year-month-day is superior for sorting imo)

First past the post has only one mathematically stable result with two parties that oscillate between the two. Alternate voting systems make multiple parties a lot more viable simply by avoiding the spoiler effect

Besesoth posted:

I know that this thread loves being reductive to the point of absurdity, but if you can't acknowledge the possibility of multiple factors contributing to an event then maybe politics isn't the spectator sport for you. Let me run it down for you:

Hillary hosed up by assuming that 2016 was an anointment and not an election, AND
Some people who didn't like Hillary hosed up by assuming that their votes didn't matter and staying home, AND
Some people who liked Obama but didn't like Hillary hosed up by voting for Trump out of spite, AND
Some people voted for Trump because he was the Republican candidate and not because they agreed with his actual campaign, and hosed up by assuming the rest of the GOP would keep him in line, AND
Some people voted for Trump because they're actual "deplorables" Hillary was talking about, and they hosed up by being racist, sexist, homophobic bigots.
AND Trump hosed up by assuming he wouldn't get elected and would just get a talk show where he could own the libs. :v:

How much weight should be assigned to each of these factors is, even two years later, still a matter of debate. Sometimes, people can talk about one of these factors without mentioning the others, and it doesn't mean that the other factors don't exist, just that they're not the topic of discussion. It's ignorant and foolishly reductive to demand that your pet factor be the subject of discussion whenever one of the others comes up.
Let's not forget multiple foreign agencies doing everything they can to depress or deflect Dem turnout, like targeting black voters, boosting Jill Stein, trying to AstroTurf the BernieBro phenomenon, and highlighting all sorts of divisive topics within the Democratic Party

E: whoa, sorry if I ancient posted there, apparently old unsubmitted posts still stick around in memory

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Crowdfunding for Tad Devine and Jim Messina to work on Trump's re-election campaign.

Just left a NATO coffee shop; Erdogan and Kim Jong Un were whispering to each other askng where their ambassadors were.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
They should've named markets orca & falcon instead of bear & bull.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Grrr! The rhetoric of better things!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol, suddenly that gently caress gives a poo poo about amassoders. you have the senate rear end in a top hat and you still do. how about you actualy nominate people, you lazy fucker.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

gently caress, 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"There are no red states and blue states; all states are illegitimate."