Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oh no what have I done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

it didn't change until Planescape.

It's still Nirvana in the 2e DMG (and nine hells, seven heavens, twin paradises, etc).

Ahh thanks I thought the changes happened earlier in 2e then they did.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

hyphz posted:

So, anyone here familiar with Princes Of The Apocalypse? We seem to be having a problem with it.. spoilers below.

I'm running Princes of the Apocalypse as DM, and I'll try to make a few comments without spoiling too much.

I don't know what level your party is, but the river keep is meant to be for a party of level 4 characters. Provoking an attack without being able to get the drop on them probably makes it a pretty tough encounter, and it will be even tougher if you decide to visit it later.

The monastery is meant to be for a party of level 5 characters. You could think of some creative ways to take advantage of the fact that they all wear masks, but it still might be more difficult since you already fought them and they'll be on alert.

The spire is meant for level 3 characters, but at the same time that's assuming you don't end up fighting them I think. I ran that differently and it wasn't very obvious that they were cultists, so my group joined them on a hunt.

Joining up with an evil cult isn't a bad idea, or at least temporarily trying to join with them. That would've been easier for the monastery and spire cults though. It's probably not a surprise to you that there's another cult, so if your DM guides you towards them even though they're meant for a level 6 party to encounter them you might be screwed. I'm just assuming your DM is going strictly by the book since I'm tweaking the difficulty personally of each one depending on which order my party stumbles upon them.

You could always go back to Red Larch and try to get more leads too. There are a bunch of different side quests and maybe your DM will lead you to them if you need EXP or whatever else. It kinda sucks if you need to grind side quest crap, but that's all I can really think of at the moment. Princes of the Apocalypse is pretty sand box-ish and if your DM expects your party to go back to these places then hopefully he gives you a good reason to do so.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

What I'm looking for:
  1. Any other resources (especially sourcebooks) dealing in Mechanus/Nirvana, regardless of edition.
  2. LE-compatible factions/paragons in Mechanus.
  3. At higher Assassin levels, I'm going to be able to start creating false identities for myself. I'm looking for ways to integrate all of the above into my false identity network.

In addition to the other suggested books, Mechanus gets covered in the 3e Manual of the Planes. Mechanus is not so much a bustling community so much as beep boop robots obsessed with order and a billion Formians. There's a temple full of weirdoes trying to discover every true law of reality but they're a bunch of book nerds. I'm unaware of any particularly notable characters or organizations associated directly with the plane.

If you want your LE Assassin to be connected to Mechanus, you're probably best served by drawing a line between your character and the Inevitables. Maybe a Prime Material organization/cult who idolizes and patterns themselves after them. A Mechanus obsessed Lawful Evil Assassin sounds to me like someone who is mostly concerned with, and likely thrilled by, punishing transgressions against Order. Maybe your assassin or organization only accepts contracts against traitors, oath breakers, and fugitives.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

If I make an AL character at home to bring to a session, do I make them level one? Is there an at-table catch up mechanic or will I just be the low level person in the party?

In all of my scouring and downloading the player packet or whatever, I can't find anything on the specifics of guidelines for making and equipping a new character

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Waffles Inc. posted:

If I make an AL character at home to bring to a session, do I make them level one? Is there an at-table catch up mechanic or will I just be the low level person in the party?

In all of my scouring and downloading the player packet or whatever, I can't find anything on the specifics of guidelines for making and equipping a new character

Are you using this packet? https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Player--DM-Pack

The entirety of page 2 of the Player's Guide is Character Creation.

But, yes, level 1. Any AL table will be run at a specific Tier, and Tier 1 is level 1-4, so if you show up to a Tier 1 table with your level 1 guy, you might be the lowest, but everyone will be relatively close and the encounters will be doable at your level.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Are you using this packet? https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Player--DM-Pack

The entirety of page 2 of the Player's Guide is Character Creation.

But, yes, level 1. Any AL table will be run at a specific Tier, and Tier 1 is level 1-4, so if you show up to a Tier 1 table with your level 1 guy, you might be the lowest, but everyone will be relatively close and the encounters will be doable at your level.

Oh shoot I don't know how I missed that

Cheers

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
CharOp: I want to dip a level of fighter with my rogue. What's the best time up until level 10 to dip? Is it even better if I start fighter 1 and then just go rogue from there?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Start Rogue for the extra skill, and if you're gonna do it anyway then dip Fighter as soon as you can for Medium Armor/Shield/Fighting Style.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, I'm doing it for a bow rogue so I can get big boy bows and Archery style. The medium Armor and Shield aren't doing me any good, so I figured to do it either after 4 or 5.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Get the stat boost before you dip (So level 5?)

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I’m doing the same thing with my Rogue Swashbuckler and while I’m about halfway to level 4, I don’t think there’s a huge difference between doing it at 4 or 5; you’re getting the extra 1 AC from the Dex points at 4, but you’re getting other survivability from multiclassing Fighter.

Since I’m switching from two shortswords to rapier and shield (and probably taking Dueling to make up for some of the 1d6 loss with the guaranteed +2), I think I’ll do the first Fighter level at 4 for all the extra poo poo before I double back to Rogue levels. I might still do two more fighter levels along the line for the Superiority Dice for Parry, Riposte, and Disarming Strike.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I’m doing the same thing with my Rogue Swashbuckler and while I’m about halfway to level 4, I don’t think there’s a huge difference between doing it at 4 or 5; you’re getting the extra 1 AC from the Dex points at 4, but you’re getting other survivability from multiclassing Fighter.

Since I’m switching from two shortswords to rapier and shield (and probably taking Dueling to make up for some of the 1d6 loss with the guaranteed +2), I think I’ll do the first Fighter level at 4 for all the extra poo poo before I double back to Rogue levels. I might still do two more fighter levels along the line for the Superiority Dice for Parry, Riposte, and Disarming Strike.

The game is scaled around having characters getting their ASI at level 4 and you are basically taking a -1 on all your attacks, AC, and key abilities for a whole level.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
New 5e Race - Little Bears

Here's a 5e race that I made for my game, Enjoy.

http://www.drevrpg.com/2018/12/drevrpg-5e-new-years-eve-special-little.html

It might have been inspired by Paddington and other various bear related protagonists from the 80s. :p

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When is the best time to dip Cleric when you are a bard?? Or is the right answer start cleric 1, and then go full bard?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dameius posted:

When is the best time to dip Cleric when you are a bard?? Or is the right answer start cleric 1, and then go full bard?

If you're a Lore Bard, start Cleric for free Medium Armor and Shield. If you're Valor Bard it doesn't really matter and you probably don't want to dip anything for a while because 4->5->6 is pretty stacked for Valor Bards and melee classes want Extra Attack ASAP. I feel like pushing back Magical Secrets and Countercharm hurts less when you're still picking up Cleric Spells and potentially Heavy Armor.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
what are some good monsters for 4 players level 17? wanted to try some higher end stuff with some room to grow in level to 20. Like what are some fun to encounters, good mechanics or flavor, any written adventure suggestions and the like

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
1d3 Tarrasques

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

shades of eternity posted:

New 5e Race - Little Bears

Here's a 5e race that I made for my game, Enjoy.

http://www.drevrpg.com/2018/12/drevrpg-5e-new-years-eve-special-little.html

It might have been inspired by Paddington and other various bear related protagonists from the 80s. :p

This made me laugh because it reminded me of something. Years ago, I was playing the board game Pandemic with an old friend and a few others. This game is, not surprisingly, about wiping out four worldwide plagues. The game encourages you to name these diseases for flavour, so my mate named them "Gonorrhoea, bears, smaller bears and Taylor Swift"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JustJeff88 posted:

This made me laugh because it reminded me of something. Years ago, I was playing the board game Pandemic with an old friend and a few others. This game is, not surprisingly, about wiping out four worldwide plagues. The game encourages you to name these diseases for flavour, so my mate named them "Gonorrhoea, bears, smaller bears and Taylor Swift"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No Luck Needed posted:

what are some good monsters for 4 players level 17? wanted to try some higher end stuff with some room to grow in level to 20. Like what are some fun to encounters, good mechanics or flavor, any written adventure suggestions and the like

Demons and Devils tend to work well around that range. Because you can now use decently large numbers of the stronger ones. Mords Tome of Foes also has more higher level monsters.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

We had a disease that was in Miami for most of the game and then when we wiped it out, we named it Florida Man.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think I have this guy right how I want him before I lock him in for good. https://ddb.ac/characters/3408615/X45crh

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I also have a swashbuckler/fighter and went rogue, fighter, rogue, rogue (swashbuckler), rogue (swashbuckler) on level selections. My primary purpose for the fighter level dip was for the Two Weapon Fighting fighting style and proficiency with martial weapons, but I have found that I use Second Wind a lot and it really added a lot to character survivability at early levels. Leveling from 4 to 5 looks like it will be a big deal (gaining the level was the end of our last play session) because I took +2 DEX for my ASI, and my proficiency bonus went from +2 to +3, so I now have a +2 weapon accuracy difference with that level jump.

I am trying to let playstyle direct how future levels are chosen, but I can easily see 19 rogue/1 fighter to maximize sneak attack and rogue/swashbuckler abilities, or go as far as 6 total fighter levels for Action Surge, Battlemaster or Champion, ASI, extra attack, and another ASI.

If you want to go sword and board purely for flavor, ignore this completely, however you should weigh selecting Dueling vs selecting Two-Weapon Fighting as the bonus damage from your DEX ability modifier will probably be at least +2, and as a swashbuckler, you won't be relying on using your bonus action to disengage nearly as often as other melee rogues, and spending the bonus action to attack with the offhand gives you an additional opportunity to trigger your sneak attack which will eventually be the bulk of your damage done. In the long run, an extra +2 damage per hit, especially if it's your only attack, is not going to scale very well.

If you plan on going at least 3 levels into fighter to get Battle Master, it's only 2 more levels to get an extra attack for an extra opportunity to trigger your Sneak Attack, which will be really important if you do go rapier and shield. Don't just think of it as just an extra chance to do rapier + DEX bonus damage, think of it as having advantage on your ability to land a sneak attack.

e: Have you considered selecting Defense over Dueling? If you have a high AC, AC bonuses are even more valuable than if you have a low AC*. Having Rogue DEX and +2 AC from a shield would make the +1 AC from Defense very effective. The longer you stay upright, the more damage you can do.

* Say you are fighting something with a +4 attack bonus and you have an AC of 15, you'll be hit 50% of the time. A +1 AC will reduce the amount you are hit to 45%, a reduction of 10%. If you have an AC of 19, you'll be hit 25% of the time and a +1 AC will reduce that to 20%, a reduction of 20%.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 2, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I am trying to let playstyle direct how future levels are chosen, but I can easily see 19 rogue/1 fighter to maximize sneak attack and rogue/swashbuckler abilities, or go as far as 6 total fighter levels for Action Surge, Battlemaster or Champion, ASI, extra attack, and another ASI.

Yeah, for my assassin, I'm looking at 1-3 levels of fighter.

Level 2: Action Surge vs. Feat
Level 3: Battlemaster Dice vs. Elusive + 1d6 Sneak Damage

Also, the tiny HP benefits of 1 max HP per fighter level and +1 healing on Second Wind/Hit Die.

The larger problem though, is where I'd place those levels if I did take them? Delaying Slippery Mind feels like asking for trouble in T4.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

So after using Mind Flayers in my game, I need to ask: were those creatures designed to be fought at all? Especially in a game where only like, 1.5 classes don't use Intelligence as a dump stat.

As written, they can basically stun and maim the party with little to no resistance. It really frustrated a few of my players and I had to redo some poo poo on the fly, otherwise they'd just have been better off not showing up to the fight. And it still turned out that way for the cleric and warlock.

0/10 never using mind flayers again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Malpais Legate posted:

So after using Mind Flayers in my game, I need to ask: were those creatures designed to be fought at all? Especially in a game where only like, 1.5 classes don't use Intelligence as a dump stat.

As written, they can basically stun and maim the party with little to no resistance. It really frustrated a few of my players and I had to redo some poo poo on the fly, otherwise they'd just have been better off not showing up to the fight. And it still turned out that way for the cleric and warlock.

Guess the party should not have use Int as a dump stat. Seriously Mind Flayers are supposed to be dangerous, the brain blast thing has always been very debilitating and dangerous, avoiding being caught in that cone is crucial. That you had to save your party shows you and your party underestimated them. Best stick to goblins and orcs I suppose.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 2, 2019

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Malpais Legate posted:

The "mind blast" stun is boring and lovely. Anything that takes players out of a fight for up to ten rounds sucks. Mind flayers are great as scheming baddies but they are lame to fight. Either they get that big cone off or they go down like a sack of potatoes to swords and arrows.

The idea that the party should have chosen their dump stats differently or that you did something wrong here is laughable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Mind flayers are one of the most legendary and famous of all D&D specific monsters (I'd argue beholders are #1 then them) and are supposed to be horrifically scary enslavers of intelligent beings due to their mental powers. If they ever get the drop on the party things should be really nasty.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

What I'm looking for:
  1. Any other resources (especially sourcebooks) dealing in Mechanus/Nirvana, regardless of edition.
  2. LE-compatible factions/paragons in Mechanus.
  3. At higher Assassin levels, I'm going to be able to start creating false identities for myself. I'm looking for ways to integrate all of the above into my false identity network.

I haven't read it, but there may be some useful info for you in here ...

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/262748/Tome-of-the-Pact

DMG posted:

Tome of the Pact is a love letter to the warlock class, featuring:

3 new otherworldly patrons: ... , the reliable patron of Mechanus, ...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Mind flayers a mechanically lovely because they're incentivized not to go after the big brainy delicious wizards but instead their jock friends, when it should be the opposite.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Malpais Legate posted:

Get a paladin. Trivialize everything.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I haven't read it, but there may be some useful info for you in here ...

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/262748/Tome-of-the-Pact

Ah, sweet. Thanks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

The "mind blast" stun is boring and lovely. Anything that takes players out of a fight for up to ten rounds sucks. Mind flayers are great as scheming baddies but they are lame to fight. Either they get that big cone off or they go down like a sack of potatoes to swords and arrows.

The idea that the party should have chosen their dump stats differently or that you did something wrong here is laughable.

I don't agree. But I am also of the type who is not anti control effect like everyone else seems to be, so I can get why you guys won't agree with me. The dump stat part was a joke.

They did do something wrong here. They apparently did not look at the monsters statblock to see what they could do before using them. Then were surprised when the dangerous monster turned out to be dangerous.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mind flayers a mechanically lovely because they're incentivized not to go after the big brainy delicious wizards but instead their jock friends, when it should be the opposite.

The brain blast is to assist in the enslavement of the weak willed. The splitting their head open and eating the brain part is for the wizard who can't be brainwashed as easily (plus they taste better). This has always been the case.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 2, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

E, nope

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Aaaaand double posted on the phone.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'd say they're mechanically lovely because they are thematically the mastermind behind dangerous things, and have dangerous minions, but are physically not dangerous. In a fair fight, they should be quickly and brutally murdered, so they make sure that they never get in a fair fight. Actually cornering one with a sword should be the challenge, not the attack rolls and saving throws. And likewise, because they aren't just marauding monsters, PCs shouldn't ever run into them unprepared. But then they have a uniquely swingy ability that makes them also win fair fights sometimes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm planning on having my Mind Flayer attack constitution to start with to try and get some of the burly fighters out of it, then go for dominating others before fleeing the field.

When/if my players happen on one I was wondering if I could give lair actions to make them more terrifying, and if so does anyone have any recommendations? Alongside that, maybe have psychic blast cost HP for the Mind Flayer to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Infinite Karma posted:

I'd say they're mechanically lovely because they are thematically the mastermind behind dangerous things, and have dangerous minions, but are physically not dangerous. In a fair fight, they should be quickly and brutally murdered, so they make sure that they never get in a fair fight. Actually cornering one with a sword should be the challenge, not the attack rolls and saving throws. And likewise, because they aren't just marauding monsters, PCs shouldn't ever run into them unprepared. But then they have a uniquely swingy ability that makes them also win fair fights sometimes.

Thats not mechanically lovely. You seem to have mistaken a mind flayer for a regular human mastermind.

Mind Flayers also do maraud cause they are slavers. One of the most basic mind flayer encounters is that they attack groups wondering the underdark so they can take them home as slaves. The whole mind blasting thing is part of why all the underdark races are so scared of them. If they were just basic masterminds, then other races would not fear them.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 2, 2019