Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

comedyblissoption posted:

i wonder how people would react by the very simple social experiment of removing the partitions between classes in passenger flights so that you could easily see the other classes

12 people squeezed into a sardine can looking at a single dude taking up that amount of real estate reclining

every plane ive every been on boards front to back so everyone in the cheap seats gets to walk past all the people sitting in first class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"One of these blood pressure measures shows you an ad. You can’t skip it, and you are locked in by your arm."

This might not be cyberpunk dystopia material to someone living before these things existed at all, since it's better than nothing, though

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 13:35 on Dec 31, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

galenanorth posted:

it's better than nothing

I disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3AWrqZqlUk

It’s cyberpunk enough before the advertisements.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

galenanorth posted:

"One of these blood pressure measures shows you an ad. You can’t skip it, and you are locked in by your arm."

This might not be cyberpunk dystopia material to someone living before these things existed at all, since it's better than nothing, though

lmao that would for sure gently caress up my reading as i holler redfacedly every time i see an ad

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Today I learned that social media manager for pet is a job.

Like an actual honest to god job with salary, benefits, paid time off, the works.

That means if I ask my 4 year old son "what do you want to do when you grow up?", there's a litany of standard answers like doctor, police officer, fireman, astronaut, whatever. But now he can add "I want to post Instagram pictures for the Kardashian's dog and that's a legit answer.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Holy poo poo the future sucks

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

The Nastier Nate posted:

Like an actual honest to god job with salary, benefits, paid time off, the works.

That means if I ask my 4 year old son "what do you want to do when you grow up?", there's a litany of standard answers like doctor, police officer, fireman, astronaut, whatever. But now he can add "I want to post Instagram pictures for the Kardashian's dog and that's a legit answer.

you'll poo poo bricks when you find out how much money you can make by dressing up your dog/cat/hedgehog/etc and posting daily on various channels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
See also: white monkey jobs

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

The Nastier Nate posted:

There are so many strange jobs like this that exist only because we have a whale culture, and we're the plankton just hoping to catch a ride. Stuff like this has existed forever though. Like I met the guy who was in charge of Paul Allens vehicles, his entire job consisted of making sure that whenever Paul Allen was somewhere, his preferred vehicle was there, whether it be a yacht, jet or car. Most of the time he just spent traveling around the world and pretending to be a rich playboy, as that was preferred than people knowing whose vehicles he was driving for security reasons.

No idea what the gently caress he's doing now, but maybe there is another billionare who needs that kind of service. Where you're so loving rich, you need someone to pretend it's your toys so the rich fucker has less security issues to worry about.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Media Bloodbath posted:

you'll poo poo bricks when you find out how much money you can make by dressing up your dog/cat/hedgehog/etc and posting daily on various channels.

last night I heard my dog drinking out of the toilet because she was to lazy to walk down a flight of stairs to the water bowl.
how much money is that worth?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

get a dog, set up a bunch of motion cameras in your house then pay a philipino man to review and edit down 1-2 good minutes of footage every day for an easy passive income

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

you need your Instagram pet to have some kind of invalidatingly bad congenital deformation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

every plane ive every been on boards front to back so everyone in the cheap seats gets to walk past all the people sitting in first class.

Presumably they mean on international flights because even 2 class domestic doesn't have barriers anymore, just a mesh curtain if anything.

On international flights usually you board through the 2nd door and people in business/first go left and everyone else goes right. There may be a business class section to go through to economy or there may not be. Also, strangely flights inbound to the US are (were?) required to enforce people from economy using the first class lavatories and vice versa. I have no idea how that became a thing, but that can be quite annoying both directions (ie there may be 1 first class lav and 2 economy lavs at the rear of first class)

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I wonder if I could find a Vet that offers veneers for cats and dogs to make them look like they got human teeth.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Krankenstyle posted:

you need your Instagram pet to have some kind of invalidatingly bad congenital deformation

This is the one that's worth millions of dollars and not only is it the ugliest dog I've ever seen in my life but little dogs are just the worst. If you're gonna get a dog that's less than 10 pounds just get a cat. Here's one of my dogs living like a hobo and she way cuter. (she has a scar under her eye, does that count as a deformation?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1079769220966162432

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
id rather my kid get a job shitposting about some dumb persons cat than be a loving cop

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

good news most dogs with any selective inbreeding (ie any akc/westminster breeds) are loaded :yeah:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

This is the one that's worth millions of dollars and not only is it the ugliest dog I've ever seen in my life but little dogs are just the worst. If you're gonna get a dog that's less than 10 pounds just get a cat. Here's one of my dogs living like a hobo and she way cuter. (she has a scar under her eye, does that count as a deformation?)

one of my cats is ~20 pounds and not terribly overweight

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

people get paid full salaries to take care of all kinds of billionaire whims and vanities

the dog probably has its own publicist and a staff of dedicated personal groomers

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/us/waymo-self-driving-cars-arizona-attacks.html

NYT posted:

The slashing was one of nearly two dozen attacks on driverless vehicles over the past two years in Chandler, a city near Phoenix where Waymo started testing its vans in 2017. In ways large and small, the city has had an early look at public misgivings over the rise of artificial intelligence, with city officials hearing complaints about everything from safety to possible job losses.

Some people have pelted Waymo vans with rocks, according to police reports. Others have repeatedly tried to run the vehicles off the road. One woman screamed at one of the vans, telling it to get out of her suburban neighborhood. A man pulled up alongside a Waymo vehicle and threatened the employee riding inside with a piece of PVC pipe.

In one of the more harrowing episodes, a man waved a .22-caliber revolver at a Waymo vehicle and the emergency backup driver at the wheel. He told the police that he “despises” driverless cars, referencing the killing of a female pedestrian in March in nearby Tempe by a self-driving Uber car.

“There are other places they can test,” said Erik O’Polka, 37, who was issued a warning by the police in November after multiple reports that his Jeep Wrangler had tried to run Waymo vans off the road — in one case, driving head-on toward one of the self-driving vehicles until it was forced to come to an abrupt stop.

His wife, Elizabeth, 35, admitted in an interview that her husband “finds it entertaining to brake hard” in front of the self-driving vans, and that she herself “may have forced them to pull over” so she could yell at them to get out of their neighborhood. The trouble started, the couple said, when their 10-year-old son was nearly hit by one of the vehicles while he was playing in a nearby cul-de-sac.

“They didn’t ask us if we wanted to be part of their beta test,” added his wife, who helps run the business.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I can't wait for monkeywrenching pointless delivery robots and other ersatz proletarians to become a widespread thing, its the only praxis I'm not too much of a coward for

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I can't wait for monkeywrenching pointless delivery robots and other ersatz proletarians to become a widespread thing, its the only praxis I'm not too much of a coward for

i'd hope it would be but people aren't destroying red light cameras en masse

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Red light cameras are cool & good if and only if the city doesn’t shorten the yellow phase for revenue.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

America might be alright after all

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Platystemon posted:

Red light cameras are cool & good if and only if the city doesn’t shorten the yellow phase for revenue.

Our red light cameras are owned and operated by a 3rd party so they get the revenue from tickets (and nothing else) but the police department has full oversight so they have no real Incentive to rake in extra fees.

Its an all right system unless your just a poo poo driver.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

EugeneJ posted:

I want one to read my will aloud

"To my dearest brother, who I love eternally...YOU GET NOTHING! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

you can achieve the same thing with a video recording, with the added benefit of not making a mockery of your own death and the pain your family presumably feels

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
red light cameras are normally fine but one and while theres the ones that tag for you turning right on red where it's legal and gently caress that bigly

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Yeah, except as we move towards increased automation, loving with robots is gonna be heavily prosecuted.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
how much anti-selfdriving is this behavior and how much is it just nimbyism

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Food Boner posted:

how much anti-selfdriving (good) is this behavior and how much is it just nimbyism (bad)

q!=e

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

anti-self-driving is also probably bad (yeah let's all fling around three tons of kinetic death all day), it's just that self-driving is being used to ostracize labor and preserve the suburbs and exurbs, which are each awful

but it's mostly nimbyism anyway

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

basically all the outcomes of automated motor vehicles are poo poo because gently caress capitalism

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
paging skull.gif

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
When delivery bots arrive there will finally be a reason to copy that one kreosan video where they took a microwave apart and turned it into a beam weapon.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Frog Act posted:

this but for the spinning mule

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

autism ZX spectrum posted:

When delivery bots arrive there will finally be a reason to copy that one kreosan video where they took a microwave apart and turned it into a beam weapon.

gonna scrap a microwave transmitter tower and mount it to a Tacoma and create my own anti-drone technical

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Food Boner posted:

how much anti-selfdriving is this behavior and how much is it just nimbyism

decide for yourself

quote:

In one of the more harrowing episodes, a man waved a .22-caliber revolver at a Waymo vehicle and the emergency backup driver at the wheel. He told the police that he “despises” driverless cars, referring to the killing of a female pedestrian in March in nearby Tempe by a self-driving Uber car.

quote:

His wife, Elizabeth, 35, admitted in an interview that her husband “finds it entertaining to brake hard” in front of the self-driving vans, and that she herself “may have forced them to pull over” so she could yell at them to get out of their neighborhood. The trouble started, the couple said, when their 10-year-old son was nearly hit by one of the vehicles while he was playing in a nearby cul-de-sac.

“They said they need real-world examples, but I don’t want to be their real-world mistake,” said Mr. O’Polka.

quote:

“Haselton said that his wife usually keeps the gun locked up in fear that he might shoot somebody,” Jacobs wrote in the report. “Haselton stated that he despises and hates those cars (Waymo) and said how Uber had killed someone.”

Haselton's wife told officers he was diagnosed with dementia, according to a police report.

quote:

"Everybody hates Waymo drivers," Ferguson told The Arizona Republic. "They are dangerous."

note that the NYT piece also leaves out some bits from the source article, such as the fact that Waymo doesn't let its drivers call the cops. if they feel endangered, they have to inform their dispatcher, who gets to decide whether or not to notify the police on the driver's behalf

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

dont be mean to me posted:

anti-self-driving is also probably bad (yeah let's all fling around three tons of kinetic death all day), it's just that self-driving is being used to ostracize labor and preserve the suburbs and exurbs, which are each awful

but it's mostly nimbyism anyway

If we make it to the point where self driving cars are the norm and you don’t need to own a car anymore that will be a net win for the environment. My car spends 99% of its day in a parking spot in front of my house or office. Eventually cars could become a monthly service fee where you call one up on your phone and only rich fucks will actually own cars as vanity items (like owning a plane or boat).

We could probably cut the number of cars we need to make on this planet in half at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There's no ethical automation under capitalism.