Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Palemdromes posted:

This is what I took off of it too. The answer to “do sex workers give friends and family discounts” is clearly no, because they don’t offer their services to friends and family.

I had a stripper as a housemate and she got me free entry to where she worked :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

TheMostFrench posted:

I had a stripper as a housemate and she got me free entry to where she worked :shobon:

Nice.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

canepazzo posted:

Father's apparently already contesting eccessive use of force, and "we don't know what happened between them".

What about his son's excessive use of force on the woman who apparently wronged him? He should address that too.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Picnic Princess posted:

What about his son's excessive use of force on the woman who apparently wronged him? He should address that too.

How much money can he get for that?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Brother Entropy posted:

his family could probably sue

Not when he actually did it.

The best argument you could make for wishy-washy language is that it interferes with court proceedings against the accused, but there won't be any because he's dead.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

Not when he actually did it.

The best argument you could make fit wishy-washy language is that it interferes with court proceedings, but there won't be any because he's dead.

It’s still basic newspaper style.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s still basic newspaper style.

It's also a simpler guideline: "always write alleged until the court has made a final call," rather than requiring each journalist to weigh the merits and evidence in a given case when they report on it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whenever anyone says "I'm sure you've done worse" what they really mean is "I've done worse".

PurpleXVI posted:

It's also a simpler guideline: "always write alleged until the court has made a final call," rather than requiring each journalist to weigh the merits and evidence in a given case when they report on it.
Also basic accuracy. Legally speaking, you're not a criminal until you've been convicted. You could argue that that rule is outdated and should bee changed, but if you die in the act of stabbing then you'll never actually be proved to be a stabber in the eyes of the law (because they don't try dead people).

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Tiggum posted:

Whenever anyone says "I'm sure you've done worse" what they really mean is "I've done worse".

Also basic accuracy. Legally speaking, you're not a criminal until you've been convicted. You could argue that that rule is outdated and should bee changed, but if you die in the act of stabbing then you'll never actually be proved to be a stabber in the eyes of the law (because they don't try dead people).

Not being classified as a criminal until convicted is a pretty fundamental part of law and should never, ever be changed.

I dunno, I just feel like there's a difference between something being witnessed and established as having happened and proving something happened beyond all reasonable doubt in a court. If the latter needs to happen or is in the process of happening, it's an accusation. Otherwise you may as well claim it happened, or even 'probably' happened. As someone else pointed out though, news outlets probably don't have time to make that call.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Dec 31, 2018

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

It's like that Britta-from-Community gif but "I can excuse colonialism but draw the line at financial deregulation."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Newspapers aren't courts, the first amendment protects commentary on events, they use "allegedly" to minimize legal exposure. But also, media coverage can make jury selection harder when the defense excludes everyone who saw or heard about the headline "YouTube GymBro Stabs The poo poo Out Of Innocent Lady, Holy gently caress."

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Katt posted:

It's fine they fixed it.

I mean police tased him while he had a knife lodged in her face but "alleged"

What that bodybuilder did was whack. But

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TinTower posted:

It's like that Britta-from-Community gif but "I can excuse colonialism but draw the line at financial deregulation."

Weird. What happened in 1980?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Tetracube posted:

it's star citizen for republicans

but star citizen is already for republicans

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Zesty posted:

Weird. What happened in 1980?

yeah uh that's not the shocking part

you know what happened in the 19th century right

that's just the tip

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

Yeah, news stories always use "allegedly" when discussing people accused of crimes, even when they were caught red-handed or the evidence is overwhelming. You didn't commit a crime until you've been convicted of it.

I'm no lawyer but I think there's even legal standing for that; like if he got acquitted somehow he could sue them for slander or something as they said he committed a crime that he was acquitted of. Even if the police catch him in the act and immediately arrest him he's technically still innocent until he is convicted or pleads guilty.

It would be a horrible idea to change that. I mean if the police literally caught him in the act and had to taze him to make him stop it's probably an open and shut case but if the trial hasn't even started yet then he's still presumed innocent.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

he's technically still innocent until he is convicted or pleads guilty
Pleading guilty isn't enough. You're still innocent until you're actually convicted.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s like drew toothpastes gimmick somehow came to life.

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1005511442479702017?s=21

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The account is suspended now but it's quite likely they were riffing off that and failing to get the humour part down.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Canada's shame

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sedge and Bee posted:

Canada's shame

lol why did an Islamic Center book him?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s got a catchy tour title at least.

Said nobody.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol why did an Islamic Center book him?

Because they're basically well-meaning and didn't look into him. And there's a lot of Canadian Muslims who are in the middle class and are basically white protestants in their outlook. They haven't necessarily had the clean break with conservatism like what happened in the US post 9/11. So he sometimes targets them, before falling back onto anti-muslims dogwhistling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So does this dipshit live in Ottawa or is he just visiting? He looks familiar and I already hate him.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

So does this dipshit live in Ottawa or is he just visiting? He looks familiar and I already hate him.

nah, he's in Mississauga

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sedge and Bee posted:

nah, he's in Mississauga

Oh good, that means his chances of being hit by a crazed driver have jumped exponentially.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So is the BLM part of his talk also a dogwhistle, or does he for some reason believe in BLM while calling Antifa terrorists?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So is the BLM part of his talk also a dogwhistle, or does he for some reason believe in BLM while calling Antifa terrorists?

He's saying both are terrorists.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The swastika is a nice touch for that shithead

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
So I guess John McAfee raped a whale

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1079863420458074112?s=19

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Nazis, well known for being antifascists

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It gets brought up more than you’d think it would.

If it was anyone other than John ‘Whale Fucker’ McAfee, that is.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
But you gently caress one whale...

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I swear to god this guy's insane rantings are like something out of a dril tweet, but longer and more terrifying.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Imagined posted:

You butt gently caress one whale...

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

John Mcafee and the Quest for the Holy Slam Whale.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

He's saying both are terrorists.

The way that is laid out, I thought those were two separate thoughts. I thought he was saying black lives do matter, but Antifa are terrorists.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

No, he didn’t rape the whale, but he tried to get in on a whale-raping party. He’s a failed whale rapist.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The way that is laid out, I thought those were two separate thoughts. I thought he was saying black lives do matter, but Antifa are terrorists.

I think you’ll find that that gentleman is a complete idiot, so garbled syntax is only to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AlbieQuirky posted:

No, he didn’t rape the whale, but he tried to get in on a whale-raping party. He’s a failed whale rapist.

I think you’ll find that that gentleman is a complete idiot, so garbled syntax is only to be expected.

Sir I will not have you libel Mr. McAfee.

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1010682321106821125?s=21